April 26, 2024, 12:52:07 PM

Author Topic: Zidane's son  (Read 1970 times)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Zidane's son
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:47:37 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/la-liga/8016598/Zinedine-Zidanes-gifted-son-Enzo-Fernandez-a-chip-off-the-old-block-at-Real-Madrid.html

It's not often big players actually have good sons, but this one seems to be a "Real" prodigy. Then again, I think Maradona son was supposed to be a big player in Napoli youths some years ago, but I haven't heard about him since.

Zinedine Zidane’s gifted son, Enzo Fernández, a chip off the old block at Real Madrid

Instantly, his skill bewitches; the chest control, positional sense and drives from deep all suggest a talent to make mockery of his 15 years.

But one move above the rest gives him away: a lazy 360-degree dribble once known as the ‘Marseille turn’, where he contrives to drag his foot back, spin his body and finally beat his opponent in a single liquid motion.

At Valdebebas, Real Madrid’s gleaming training sanctuary out by the city’s airport, it is referred to simply as the roulette and it stands in Los Merengues folklore as the exclusive preserve of Zinedine Zidane.

The effortlessness of its execution by a teenager might be explained by the fact that young Enzo happens to be Zidane’s eldest son, a player not merely in the great one’s image but of his blood.

On this occasion, junior is branded as Fernández – maiden name of Spanish mother Veronique – as part of his father’s attempts to control the maelstrom of publicity about to engulf him.

To a generation of fans who grew up replaying that volley to win Real’s ninth European Cup in 2002, or those two headers for France in the 1998 World Cup final, there will only ever be one Zidane. Already, though, the profile of his progeny is elevated to pop-star levels.

Enzo’s exploits have gained him his own unofficial website, while a montage of his most outrageous pieces of invention to date, in a youth tournament against Barcelona three years ago, has attracted almost five million views on YouTube.

How could a 12 year-old display such consummate control? How dare the little tyro score from a direct free kick?

Touted across Spain as el heredero (the heir), Enzo was apparently born to emulate the game’s established nobility, having been named after Zinedine’s hero, the former Uruguay star Enzo Francescoli.

The problem is that, like many coveted properties from the Real hothouse, he faces multiple claims upon his loyalties. Specifically, he is burdened by the vexed issue of whether, as a boy of mixed ancestry, he winds up competing for France or Spain.

The hopes invested in him by both countries are such that the imminent resolution could yet have a profound bearing upon his future career.

Although born in Bordeaux, Enzo has spent his last nine years in Madrid and can trace his maternal grandparents to the town of El Chive, in Almería.

The debate appears all but settled in the eyes of the Spanish federation, whose under-16s coach, Santi Denia, has watched Zidane Jnr perform in Real colours several times, with the intention of inviting the youngster to practice sessions.

But sometimes even a passport cannot define one’s ties. On this front, Zidane is perhaps best placed to dispense advice, having played the pawn in a similar diplomatic stand-off between France and Algeria over whose flag he should carry.

Algeria, as the land of his birth, loudly asserted that he was theirs when the choice came in 1994, despite a rumour that then coach Abdelhamid Kermali deemed him not fast enough.

There was a technicality, however, which no amount of Algerian bluster could challenge: Zidane had by this time made his debut for France. For Enzo, still perhaps three years off a senior call-up, the decision is nothing like so clear.

Alas, Chapter VII Article 18 of the Fifa statutes reads unhelpfully for his purposes, decreeing that a player of dual nationality can switch associations at any time provided he has not received his first full international cap.

France’s mediators still hope to use this phrasing to ensnare Enzo, even if they promise to do so tactfully. Unless he helps win a World Cup for them, they will not go as far overboard as they did with his father, projecting his image on to the Arc de Triomphe.

But a documentary on the relationship, entitled “Dans les pas de papa” (In the footsteps of dad) has been screened on state television, including a split-screen demonstration of father-and-son roulettes, as if they were identical tricks.

François Blaquart, coach of the France Under-17s, is being gentle, while admitting that a sensitivity resides in the very name Zidane: “The most important thing is that he wants to play for France. This is a hyper-mediated event. If it were the surname Dupont, we would not be commenting at all.”

As it is, Zidane finds himself both the iconic figure for French footballers, if his Berlin butt on Marco Materazzi is excused, and the emblematically elegant madrileño for his storied record at Real.

His success in spawning another player potentially as gifted just seems, in each of his adopted lands, too good to be true. Still, he is plainly finding the minute scrutiny of his son stressful.

“I’d rather not talk about it,” he said when pressed. “He’s enjoying his football in Madrid and that’s what matters.”

Under the direction of Florentino Pérez, the Real president and Zidane’s close friend, a media exclusion zone has been thrown around Enzo to ensure he is unsettled no further.

How Zidane must pine for more innocent days, when all he had to worry about was a family kickabout in the garden. But if his genetic good fortune is any guide, he had better start embracing the notion of a dynasty.

Rapidly it is emerging that the famed Zidane technique is not confined to Enzo alone. Theo, his younger brother, is only 12 but a recent addition to Real’s children’s ‘B’ squad, as a goalkeeper.

The development of Theo, who at the age of five joined local club Canillas — also the destination of Ronaldo’s son, when the Brazilian represented Real – is still more freakish.

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zidane's son
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:25:19 AM »
PRESSHA!!!

Now the poor youth have all kinda expectation to live up to
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PIbDypWKmNw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PIbDypWKmNw</a>

This video is old but you could see the Zidanesque roly and step-over there

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bNJ4hXZA_J4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bNJ4hXZA_J4</a>

This one says 2010 but its very old too.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:39:10 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »
new thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Spain-will-call-Zidane-s-son-Enzo-to-U-16-team-?urn=sow-271394

Real Madrid sporting director Jorge Valdano recently said that "there will be a duel" between France and Spain over Zidane's 15-year-old son Enzo. Like two of his younger brothers, Enzo has been drooled over ever since he entered Real's youth system. A clip of him destroying kids on the pitch in 2007 has almost 4.5 million views on YouTube. And Valdano is disturbingly eager to compare Enzo, an attacking midfielder who, at times, wears the number 10 (he wears 11 in the video above), to his legendary father.   

While France has naturally expressed interest in having Enzo continue to dazzle in his father's shadow in its national team setup, Spain U-16 coach Gines Melendez just announced his intention to call up Enzo in October.

Keeping with Valdano's duel analogy, Spain has a machine gun while France has a potato gun. The only thing working in France's favor here is that Enzo's father played for Les Bleus. Their federation is a mess, and the embarrassments of the last few months are hardly attractive to anyone, let alone a 15-year-old kid with a short memory. Meanwhile, Enzo lives in Spain, plays for one of Spain's biggest clubs (which also employs his father) and experienced the country winning both Euro 08 and the 2010 World Cup.

Of course, the kid is still just 15 years old. So all this dueling and drooling could only lead to disappointment. Or he could be the next Zidane. Well, he is the next Zidane, but you know what I mean.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAMzj7tQAgg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dAMzj7tQAgg</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »
Jury might be out on global warming... but talk about global shrinking:

French by birth
Algerian by extract
Spanish by residence
Spanish last name
Italian first name

...I surprised de Uruguayans eh claim inspirational rights to his services as well, lol

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:20:45 PM »
I would totally like my backyard with that lil astro turf set up ..... yessir

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
What about when the ball go in the naybaz yard?

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
What about when the ball go in the naybaz yard?

presshah higher net lol

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »
cheups...look like kaka son to me, buh wha I care...doh tell Z I say so..he mighten talk to meh no more  :-[

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Enzo would not be a legend like his father. He may not even be a great player, maybe ONLY good. In my humble opinion of course. Why?......

I think he is in the spot light way too early. I don't think he will be able to handle the pressure. Let's wait and see.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

1]; } ?>