April 20, 2024, 01:05:05 AM

Author Topic: Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones kick-starts community project  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones kick-starts community project
« on: September 29, 2010, 06:51:24 AM »
Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones kick-starts community project
By Aimi Redfern (The Sentinel)

YOUNGSTERS from a city estate are being offered free activities in a bid to steer them away from anti-social behaviour.

Stoke City Football Club has teamed up with Staffordshire Police and Stoke-on-Trent City Council to set up the city's first Kickz project in Bentilee.

The £125,000 scheme will give young people something constructive to do by offering them the chance to take part in activities three nights a week.

Two sessions will be football-based, while the third will offer other activities requested by the youngsters.

Adrian Hurst, Stoke City's community programme manager, said the scheme was designed to break down barriers between young people and local agencies.

"We are trying to give them opportunities to do something positive," he added.

"The age group is usually 12 to 18, but we've got extra staff involved so people younger than that can come as well.

"Two nights will be football-focused, and the third will be a flexible session led by the young people so they can try other things like DJing or other sports."

Participants do not necessarily have to be good at football, as organisers will work with them to improve their sporting as well as social skills.

Mr Hurst added: "Hopefully, further down the line, we will be able to provide evidence that we are saving the authorities money on dealing with anti-social behaviour and crime by giving young people something constructive to do."

The national Kickz programme was created by the Premier League and the Metropolitan Police four years ago to work with children in disadvantaged areas.

Stoke City is the 41st football club to become involved nationally, and the Bentilee project is the first in Stoke-on-Trent.

The Premier League and the Safer City Partnership, which involves the city council, police and fire service, has provided £125,000 to fund the project for three years.

Through the programme, youngsters will also be offered educational sessions on issues including healthy lifestyles, drug and substance misuse and carrying weapons.

Inspector Matt Bennion, commander of Bucknall Neighbourhood Policing Unit, said the local community had suffered from anti-social behaviour for some time.

And he added: "I will have my officers at the sessions so they can get to know the young people and vice-versa.

"If we can build up a rapport hopefully we can divert them away from anti-social behaviour and intimidating the community."

The project has already been running for several weeks at Bentilee Pavilion. It was officially launched yesterday by Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones.

And it has proved a success with youngsters in the area. Mitchell High School pupil Liam Johnson, aged 12, from Beverley Drive, said: "I've grown up loving Stoke City and I think this is a good programme. It's good to have things to do."

Ben Morris, aged 10, from Brundall Oval, is also a keen Potters fan. The Maple Court Primary School pupil said: "I think it's an excellent idea, I will definitely go along."

Kickz sessions are on Tuesday and Wednesday, from 4pm until 7pm, and Friday from 6pm until 9pm.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones kick-starts community project
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:22:59 AM »
Kenwyne nice work Breds,stay positive and things will work for you. :beermug:

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:49:11 AM »
Good stuff  :beermug:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »
*tips hat*
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »
What?

No "he cyah score wit he feet" comments?  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »
Keep up the good work KJ, both on and off the field :applause:

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:12:38 AM »
he lazy .. shithound, cyah score with he feet ;D

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
lol ..... good work "bound to miss" .... always good to give back!

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
lol ..... good work "bound to miss" .... always good to give back!

Why does this sound familiar? oh yes, one Stern John.  ;D
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline look at ting now!

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »
Whatever is said about Kenwyne, he is one of the most educated and well spoken footballers coming out of T&T. Read his comments on comparisons made between himself and Drogba. He will do great with this new venture.

As regards his skills anybody who knows the game can tell that he has improved tremendously. I feel, and this is my opinion, that he was psychologically affected by seeing Bent take the spotlight away from him. No kudos went his way when he performed at his best. That can be a breaker for anybody. Football at that level is not only the skill. The psyche comes into play as well.

It is very refreshing to see a son of the soil making an impact in a community not his own. Great job Kenwyne, you have lots of support. Do not give up!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »
What?

No "he cyah score wit he feet" comments?  8)

:D

Anyway well done KJ..From Point Fortin to the UK you representing

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:23 PM »
Pulis praises 'bargain buy' Jones.
MirrorFootball.

Tony Pulis still struggles to believe he managed to lure Kenwyne Jones away from Sunderland. Jones is aiming to score in his fifth ­successive game when the Potters face Blackburn today.

And that goal run has left Pulis feeling like he’s struck gold after persuading Black Cats boss Steve Bruce to let him snap up the striker for an £8million fee.

He said: “Steve had a high opinion of Kenwyne, but he thought it was about the right time for him to move. We’ve been lucky enough to pick him up.

“I think his form is down to the fact he just feels more comfortable around the place.

“We make players feel as though this is their and a nice place to work.

“They enjoy it and we make sure they give us the commitment back.

“They respect the football club and respect what the club has done for them – and they do their damnedest when the bell goes on a Saturday to get the result they all need. And in Kenwyne’s case he’s got a bit more confidence and he’s a lot more settled in his mind. I think that’s a big thing with players, if they’re settled ‘’

Pulis signed Jones on loan for Stoke for a month when he was just 20 and has been impressed with the hitman’s development since those days.

He added: “I had him here before on loan five years ago from Southampton and he’s matured since then in terms of age and experience.

“When he first came here he was a young lad but now you can tell he’s grown into a man.

“I don’t think he bullies centre-halves. He has scored really good goals with his strength and cleverness.‘’

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce revealed he tried to sign Jones before he joined Stoke.

“We would have bought him this season if we could have afforded him,” said the Rovers boss. “But he was out of our price range unfortunately.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 08:00:52 PM »
Bargin cuz they gna make a healthy profit on him at the end of the season. At least 15 million pounds gna be on his head by January

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »
Following his spells at Southampton, Sunderland and Stoke, I think Kenwynes biggest problem moving forward is lack of choice for his next club. Its clear that Kenwyne will only ever sign for a club wearing vertical red & white stripes. While this tactic has worked for other players, I fear Jones next move can only be to a club like Sheffield Utd, Brentford, Exeter City, Chelmsford or Lincoln. Therefore, logically, Kenwyne will have to wait for one of these to be promoted to the EPL.

With Sheffield in the bottom half of the Championship, I feel Kenwynes agent should get tough and make Jones consider a team in red and white horizontal stripes such as Doncaster. At least they are slightly higher than Sheff Utd.

Of course, another option would be for Kenwyne to insist that his next team switch strips to vertical red and white. I understand this was why Tottenham didn't sign him. Bit tricky being known as the Lilywhites if you wear red & white stripes.

But I have heard that Sir Alex is serioulsly considering Kenwyne and a marketing team is all ready looking at merchandise for the new United Red & White Devils rebirth.

On the other side of town, there is uproar at Man City as fans got wind of plans to sign Jones with City to become known as the Sky Red & Whites.

But the most stunning news is Chelsea rebranding as the Red & White Pensioners with plans afoot to change the colour scheme at Stamford Bridge, perhaps even going for an NFL style red & white striped pitch.

Look out for T&T playing in red & white stripes soon!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »
But I have heard that Sir Alex is serioulsly considering Kenwyne and a marketing team is all ready looking at merchandise for the new United Red & White Devils rebirth.

Where you get that news from ?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 10:01:33 AM »

buh wha d...he ketch yuh with dat, before "Look out for T&T playing in red & white stripes soon"...is this ah attempt at nominating oneself...these days everybody want ah award

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »

From the Atletico Madrid website?  ::)

Nominee Alert!!   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:03:51 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>