April 28, 2024, 05:00:44 AM

Author Topic: Martin Keown: There's only one way to stop Stoke star Kenwyne Jones...bully him!  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Martin Keown: There's only one way to stop Stoke star Kenwyne Jones...bully him!
By Martin Keown
Last updated at 12:59 AM on 28th September 2010

Tony Pulis struggled to find the right striker — he wasn’t happy with Dave Kitson, James Beattie or Tuncay — but Kenwyne Jones looks perfect for him.

He is well suited to Stoke’s direct approach and he is as good a jumper from a standing position as I have ever seen, even though his finishing could be improved.

The best of that type I played against was Les Ferdinand and you had to be strong against him.

It’s very difficult to mark Jones because normally you try to get close to that kind of player so he can’t wriggle free, but he is so strong that he gets to the ball first. Look how he has often got the better of John Terry.

You have to be physical with that kind of striker, bully him and go in hard. You have to stop him finding space — that means blocking him off so he can’t get near the keeper and bringing in a midfielder in front of him.

Newcastle didn’t do that and they made the mistake of having Andy Carroll — a striker — mark him at set pieces. I think your best defender should mark the opposition striker. You can set your team up to stop him, too.

By playing a high line and pressing you are forcing Jones to run in behind you, which isn’t his strength. Sitting deep invites teams to ping endless balls into the box. Inevitably you will concede.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1315680/Stoke-star-Kenwyne-Jones-stopped-bullying-him.html#ixzz11104suKT

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
IMO teams dont usually devise strategies to stop shithongs....to quote someone on this board, "play yuh fitball KJ"

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
IMO teams dont usually devise strategies to stop shithongs....to quote someone on this board, "play yuh fitball KJ"

Ent?!!  Buh he detractors feel different so ah guess he is level tootoo!!!  ::)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
lol allyuh boy great yes if you apply these tactics on any forward good or bad it will make life more difficult for them to score ... what special about these tactics?
Still cyah score with he foot lol

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If Tnt devise the attack around jones and play a direct style he will score some goals especially against central american teams that are weak in the air.

our problem is service and natural tendancy to want to playbuild up football.

if jones was on a team like Spurs he would score much more I rate him more than crouch in the air

With spurs level of service he scoring every day.

He actually is a good finisher
but he cannot creat his own chances.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If Tnt devise the attack around jones and play a direct style he will score some goals especially against central american teams that are weak in the air.

if jones was on a team like Spurs he would score much more I rate him more than crouch in the air

I agree to some extent.....crosses can result from build up play. It dosent have to be direct play/long ball. With direct play there might be no one around to benefit from what Jones can do. Ask Darren Bent.

Spurs have exceptional crosses comming into the box but their play is not direct at all.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile

Next season he will be getting those opportunities @ Spurs.  :beermug: And even defoe is better than crouch in the air. KJ not far off crouch in class though buut has more potential. KJ 4 Spurs  ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Who crossing de ball?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Who crossing de ball?

Birchall
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Who crossing de ball?

Birchall

Since when KJ sign wit de Galaxy?  :devil:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Who crossing de ball?

Birchall

Dey does both play for T&T

when latapy is not coach

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well according to the article nobody does . ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I have yet to see a potential mid-field tandem for TT. Not mid, no goals.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Potential midfield for T&T

Christopher Birchall and Khaleem Hyland defensive mids

Carlos Edwards wide right

Collin Samuel wide left

Keon Daniel attacking midfielder

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

So KND are you saying that Crouch is ah overall better player than KJ ?

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

So KND are you saying that Crouch is ah overall better player than KJ ?

I would say absolutely....AT THIS TIME

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Who crossing de ball?

Birchall

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile

Collin Samuel wide left

Yuh playing with one forward or two?

I would replace Colin Samuel with Kevon Carter!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Collin Samuel wide left

1 striker.....I could also replace Keon Daniel with Kerry Baptiste or Daryl Roberts....different types of players for sure....Keon more of a playmaker and Kerry & Daryl more of a striker

But my main striker would be KJ and he would need somebody to link up with and he probably will link up better with a much more mobile Kerry Baptiste or Darryl Roberts than a Keon Daniel

I have heard good things about Kevon Carter but I'm giving a FIT Collin Samuel the position because of his experience at a much higher level.

I'm also tempted to push Carlos back to right wing back and replace the wide right position with Cornell Glen.  I really don't see a better wing back on the horizon than Carlos and if J Lloyd holdin it down on the left, we could definitely compete in CONCACAF

My optimal T&T squad with subs

Marvin Phillip with JM Williams as sub

Carlos Edwards right wing back with Jake Thompson as sub

Julius James & Robert Primus central defence with Yohance Marshall, Radanfah Abu Bakr, & Daniel Cyrus as subs

J Lloyd Samuel as left wing back with Akeem Adams as sub

Christopher Birchall & Khaleem Hyland defensive mids with Trent Noel & Clyde Leon as subs

Cornell Glen and Collin Samuel as wide midfielders with Hughton Hector, Kevon Carter,& Hayden Tinto as subs

Darryl Roberts as attacking midfielder with Keon Daniel, Atullah Guerra, Lester Peltier, Andre Toussaint, & Shahdon Winschester as subs

Kenwyne Jones as striker with Jason Scotland, Kerry Baptiste, Jamal Gay, and Devon Jorsling as subs

31 man squad.

Pick yuh best XI from dey.

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Collin Samuel wide left

1 striker.....I could also replace Keon Daniel with Kerry Baptiste or Daryl Roberts....different types of players for sure....Keon more of a playmaker and Kerry & Daryl more of a striker

But my main striker would be KJ and he would need somebody to link up with and he probably will link up better with a much more mobile Kerry Baptiste or Darryl Roberts than a Keon Daniel

I have heard good things about Kevon Carter but I'm giving a FIT Collin Samuel the position because of his experience at a much higher level.

I'm also tempted to push Carlos back to right wing back and replace the wide right position with Cornell Glen.  I really don't see a better wing back on the horizon than Carlos and if J Lloyd holdin it down on the left, we could definitely compete in CONCACAF

Julius James & Robert Primus central defence with Yohance Marshall, Radanfah Abu Bakr, & Daniel Cyrus as subs

Christopher Birchall & Khaleem Hyland defensive mids with Trent Noel & Clyde Leon as subs

Cornell Glen and Collin Samuel as wide midfielders with Hughton Hector, Kevon Carter,& Hayden Tinto as subs

Darryl Roberts as attacking midfielder with Keon Daniel, Atullah Guerra, Lester Peltier, Andre Toussaint, & Shahdon Winschester as subs

Kenwyne Jones as striker with Jason Scotland, Kerry Baptiste, Jamal Gay, and Devon Jorsling as subs

31 man squad.

All yuh goh send up my pressure oui! big steupes wit dis side

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Kiffy, besides Theobald, who else missing from palos side?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Palos had Theobald on his side, he jus did not bother to spel out who providing water at half time
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile

Palos had Theobald on his side, he jus did not bother to spel out who providing water at half time
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I pity the fool....

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
With Latapy as the coach Theobold on that side. The strikers are KJ and Glen. With no Birchall I would play Roberts behind the strikers.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Sheron: It would be great to see Jones break record.
By: Jonny Abrams (Sport.co.uk).

Stoke City legend Mike Sheron says that he would be delighted to see Kenwyne Jones break his club record of scoring in seven consecutive games.

Sheron managed the feat between March and April 1996 as he went on to secure his place in Potters fans’ affections with 39 goals in 71 starts before joining QPR for £2.75m.

£8m man Jones has now scored in four successive games in what has been a blistering start to his career at the Britannia Stadium, and Sheron insists he would not be bitter about seeing the Trinidad and Tobago centre-forward usurp him in the Stoke history books.

Thisisstaffordshire.co.uk quote Sheron as saying: "I had noticed that Kenwyne had got a few goals, and all with his head.

“Actually, I think a few of mine in that run were with my head, but I he's a bit better in the air than I was.

"He has a lot of attributes. He's got a bit of pace and he obviously knows where the goal is.

"People say records are always there to be broken and I'm sure mine will be broken one day, so why not now?

"It would be great to see him do it. And for him to do it in the Premier League would make it even better."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

oh gorm :rotfl:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Collin Samuel wide left

31 man squad.

That is a very good side there Palos. All we need is time for them to play together and gel....a few games against quality opposition and we in de mix......

But we all know this ent happening no time soon  :devil:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

31 man squad.

That is a very good side there Palos. All we need is time for them to play together and gel....a few games against quality opposition and we in de mix......

De ting wit dat squad is....

Both goalkeepers, 4 of the 9 defenders (we'll need a local based right wing back), 9 of the midfielders (including winchester for now) and 3 of the strikers are all local based players

So yuh could still play yuh friendlies on non FIFA sanctioned dates but de important ting is dat dey playin to a particular system etc.  When man fall een from foreign...is de same system, de theory is dat it will just be better players therefore better execution.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

31 man squad.

De ting wit dat squad is....

Both goalkeepers, 4 of the 9 defenders (we'll need a local based right wing back), 9 of the midfielders (including winchester for now) and 3 of the strikers are all local based players

So yuh could still play yuh friendlies on non FIFA sanctioned dates but de important ting is dat dey playin to a particular system etc.  When man fall een from foreign...is de same system, de theory is dat it will just be better players therefore better execution.

jaggy or carter as left wingers, maybe even jaggy as holding mid, birchall dribbling and passing is still suspect, roberts should be an attacking mid, i cant believe we have no tried josh johnson as right winger to this date, i would drop carlos back as right back.

phillips

edwards             primus             samuel       adams

jagdeosingh/hyland

johnson/thompson            guerra/birchall         hector/carter                 

roberts

Jones/Glen

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

:devil: doh mind them denz... ah mean kiffy, just knock back two zoloft, everything OK
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

1]; } ?>