March 28, 2024, 09:37:47 AM

Author Topic: No regrets over Kenwyne Jones: Steve Bruce.  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
No regrets over Kenwyne Jones: Steve Bruce.
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »
No regrets over Kenwyne Jones: Steve Bruce.
By James Hunter (Evening Chronicle).

Steve Bruce insists he made the right call in letting Kenwyne Jones leave Wearside.

Jones has been in good form since his £8m move to Stoke in August, scoring four times in six games for his new club, including last weekend’s equaliser against Newcastle that set the Potters on their way to victory at St James’ Park.

And Bruce is pleased the move has worked out well for both Jones and Sunderland, who used the cash generated by the sale to bring in £13m club record buy Asamoah Gyan as a replacement.

Bruce said: “To be fair, I expected Kenwyne to go to his new club and make an impact. He’s that type of player.

“Good for him – and I mean that. But it doesn’t change my view on the decision to let him leave – I think it was time for him to go. I think he was probably past his sell-by date at Sunderland.

“But I wish him luck because he was never, ever a problem for me in terms of getting on with him – I just wanted to go in a different direction.”

Bruce splashed out big money on Ghana international Gyan, who joined the Black Cats from French side Rennes on deadline day at the end of August.

Gyan, who was expected to make his first Premier League start against Manchester United at the Stadium of Light this afternoon, still has some way to go before he is fully match-fit, but has already shown encouraging signs with a goal on his debut at Wigan and another in his first home start against West Ham in the Carling Cup.

Bruce said: “I’m very happy to have Asamoah in as a replacement – and that’s probably an understatement.

“He’ll be an absolutely fantastic player for us, I’ve got no doubt about that. It’s just a question of him getting him absolutely fit because he lost out on that peak fitness over the summer after the World Cup and he didn’t do much at Rennes either.

“He’s been out on the training ground the last few sessions, scratching his head at the speed and energy of it all.

“But he’s got the capacity to get up to that level over the next few weeks, and when he does, he’s going to take some stopping.”

Gyan’s arrival will give Sunderland more attacking options, as he thrives as a lone striker – a role that the Black Cats’ goal king Darren Bent is not so comfortable playing.

Bruce is also looking forward to pairing his £30m strikeforce together to form what he believes could become the most lethal double act outside the Premier League’s Big Four.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: No regrets over Kenwyne Jones: Steve Bruce.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
I doh expect him tuh say he forkedup.  rub his big ole pig face in it kenwyne! ah hope gyan fail and the ting blow up in his face, that's BC i believe bruce don't rate caribbean players.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »
You know my parents taught me don't judge a book by it's cover but steve bruce have all the makings of a hater,but that's ok all kenwyne have to do is score goals lots of them and move on.

I've learned that people like steve bruce come a dime a dozen but eventually they fail in their endeavours....   

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 05:45:07 PM »
Let Bruce carry his prejudice ugly rass coz he has shown that he has no respect for Caribbean players over some time.I hope that KJ goes on to score many more goals so he can stick 2 fingers up at him.Time will tell whether the move will come back to haunt him..that would please me no end.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »
SB HYSMC nah. Is long time now ah have it fuh yuh. Ah will not say much cuz we Muslims already have a rep for being evil and wicked. From  since wid boi  Stern if ah was still evil and dred ah wud ah make one phone call and make sure yuh get ah sweet blow out. Again HYSMC.  HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »
Current standings: Stoke 7th, Sunderland 11th.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »

season aint dont yet  8)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »

season aint dont yet  8)

Ah know right, especially when Liverpool in 18th spot....long way to go still.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 09:47:14 AM »
I would take asamoa Gyan over jones any day.

Nothing bad against Jones
he just have more aspects to his game.

Most important is work rate which matches Bruce's attitude.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »
7 games into the season is early. How many goals can Jones score over a season. When he's scoring 20 goals a season then we can say Bruce did nonsense. In the meantime it's hard to say letting a striker who only totalled in the double digits once in his Premiership career is a move motivated by anything but a desire better quality elsewhere.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
goals means getting service doesnt it bruce? i see gyan having a hard time at sunderland as well. put gyan at liverpool, man u or chelsea...and yuh getting goals from him. do yuh thing kenwyne!!!
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 12:53:51 PM »
Ah doh understand why all de hating. Kenwyne with a club dat playing to he strengths and getting good results, Sunderland take de money from selling him and get a good replacement that fitting in to dey system better. Sound like a win-win situation to me.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
Ah doh understand why all de hating. Kenwyne with a club dat playing to he strengths and getting good results, Sunderland take de money from selling him and get a good replacement that fitting in to dey system better. Sound like a win-win situation to me.

Correck is right

Sunderland happy.

Stoke happy.

Peeps on SW.net vex  :devil:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »

Correck is right

Sunderland happy.

Stoke happy.

:rotfl: Ent! Bruce looking out for he self, no hard feelings. Jones looking out for he self, no hard feelings. Men bored on the SW.net... plenty hard feelings.

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »

Correck is right

Sunderland happy.

Stoke happy.

:rotfl: Ent! Bruce looking out for he self, no hard feelings. Jones looking out for he self, no hard feelings. Men bored on the SW.net... plenty hard feelings.

True, but Steve Bruce have a big fat head... How yuh go low rate ah man when yuh doh have de intelligence to get the best out of him by playing a system that suits the player... it is your job to MANAGE players no?...

No class...

As a manager, if you know you have 2 players where one real good in de air and the other one isn't comfortable playing as a lone striker, it go take A WHOLE SEASON for you to realise that???

And on top of dat too say that the man "past he sell by date" in your club???

KJ just hadda keep scoring and scoring and scoring... and they should do well... Gyan still hadda adapt to a new league and type of game... Liverpool could use a player like KJ right now...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 03:20:21 PM »
How yuh go low rate ah man when yuh doh have de intelligence to get the best out of him by playing a system that suits the player... it is your job to MANAGE players no?...

No class...

Sometimes a player doesn't "fit" in the system the coach wants to play.  Obviously that's the case with KJ and Bruce.  No biggie.  Both have moved on and both happy (or say dey happy) with de action taken.

And on top of dat too say that the man "past he sell by date" in your club???

I agree, that wasn't called for by Bruce and indicates a bit of rancour on his part.  Buh say wha...he is de manager so he entitled.

He make de comment...only time will tell if dem comments REALLY come back to bite he in he considerable arse.

Remember, Tommy Docherty was a respected personality and manager in English football too and is he who did say "If Dwight Yorke makes a first division footballer, my name is Mao Tse Tung"

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 04:07:16 PM »
SB definitely went to far with that"sell by date" statement and hopefully KJ would have something to say at the end of the season bout that.I've seen those types sermonising continually come back and bite people on their backside.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »
Other than Bruce's choice of words, me eh see what de big deal is. De football landscape is littered wit examples of players who fail or are mediocre at one club and den go and light it up at another club. It doh mean dat de coach is an ass or de player is ah shithong. Is ah combination of factors dat contribute to a situation not working out. Robinho at City, Forlan at ManU come to mind. Same ting wit coaches. Ah coach would get ah team relegated, den pick up ah next wok where he have ah club setting records. So it go sometimes.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 08:34:19 PM »
I think Steve Bruce did KJ a favor, because if he was still at Sunderland he would be frustrated with the system of play and SB always negative on him.  All's well that ends well.  Now KJ have to show that it was not his talent but Bruce's management.  Good luck to KJ, all the best to Gyan and may Stoke put a good lickin' on Sunderland when they meet.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »
Redknapp said the same thing about Darren Bent last year and with all the goals he's scoring for Sunderland I wouldn't take him back.  That said we didn't turn down a big money offer for him only to sell him cheap a year later.......like Bruce did with KJ :D

1]; } ?>