April 23, 2024, 01:06:16 AM

Author Topic: Board question....At what age did you start playing ball in TNT competitively?  (Read 6345 times)

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
I didn't make the cut for primary school (didn't have proper gear and parents didnt want me hanging around after school playing football, they called it dangerous).

Played for Marabella Senior when I was 15. Since then, hung up my boots, now I play pick up games with Mexicans, Argentines, Columbians, Americans and sometimes we get Euros in the fray.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The most brutal sweat i've experienced is one that used to take place every morning at DFHQ,i don't know how many of you have ever been to DFHQ in Chaguaramas,that's opposite Chagville,it have a Gym there and was the home of DF Football.

Every morning players and non players included used to play in there before going to their place of duty,the teams were called skins and shirts,you choose which team you wanted to be on,numbers did not matter,just make sure you could handle yourself,yes it had a couple broken legs but say what it was a fun thing for everybody,i always tried to choose the team that had the bruzers on it in order to survive.  

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My primary school did not have a football team but I started playing organized football from under 12 at the age of 10. However it was nuff small goal sweat from the age of 8 - 18 and trust meh dem one goal come sweat was competitive.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.
Midday League in the quadrangle!!!!

ahhh I forgot..good times.
Yeah boy, men used to pray for lunch time....On another note I started at age 13/14 I believe, with Barataria BallPlayers...Barnie yesss lol

the only thing about the league was depending who your coach was and what level you played you won't allowed to play(at least on match day), nuff men used to take the chance for that glory yes

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
I started playing when I was 6. Didn't have a choice with all the brother I had playing intercol and one on the National team. I played real football in the Queens Park Savannah against Hardest, Bleeder, Akudu, Cornell Glen, Devon Jorsling, Mario Assoon, Stunners, Keron Edwards and some other men. I was on the same team with Josh Johnson.  Played for Samba youths in Carenage and Diego Martin Stars. Played for the TT National U13 and 15 teams despite being about 12. LOL Played in US college. Now...  :-\, I am a younger head tho.... ;D
All American

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

Yeah boy, men used to pray for lunch time....On another note I started at age 13/14 I believe, with Barataria BallPlayers...Barnie yesss lol

Pardner.. you train under barnie and went Fatima to boot? I now see barnie de other day on eastern parkway.

I start playing ball with BBP when i was 10 or 11.. enter Fatima in form one in 1992... what years was you?

on a next note i start competitive ball with my local cub scouts team round de time de strike squad was cooking.. so early 89
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We had a thread like dis in de past

Musta start round age 10 or 11 or so

BBP: U-14, U-16, Tranquil U-14, Fatima U-16, M'house NCAA Div II, Corp League (2005 to Present), Soca Labourers in ah set ah passa passa league (2005 to Present)  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
St. Joseph boys RC.  No football. Our thing was sprinting.  Turned out a lot of good sprinters.  Sprinting was my blessing, football i liked. :)  Went to San Juan Gov't Sec. played ball a lot there even though it was not competitive.  That court yard created great players.  The Bennet boys came out of San Juan Gov't.  But the school..killed PE in form 3.  No more organized ball in school.  That killed my development because we were doing some crazy stuff in form 3.... Then I went to Gustine and played with Jerron and them.  Had enough natural ability but never came across a single coach that even mentioned technical development prior to Gustine.  Most systems I pasted through treated players as if all are born and none are developed.  Is either you had it our you didn't.  It's a revolving system of waste.

That is what I trying to get at. Beginning to wonder if we starting ball generally too late which is why we so technically deficient. I mean, it looks like to me that serious ball doh start until form 3 or so. What age is that, 12 and up? That's too late. Especially now since it looks like recreational ball doh play so much anymore.

Yep!!!  I can't remember doing a 50 shot drill on shooting technique etc.  I did that with flicks and catching ball behind my head though... :-\
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That is what I trying to get at. Beginning to wonder if we starting ball generally too late which is why we so technically deficient. I mean, it looks like to me that serious ball doh start until form 3 or so. What age is that, 12 and up? That's too late. Especially now since it looks like recreational ball doh play so much anymore.

Preacher, yuh real preach dey. Sad thing is that many a player conveyed this natural ability myth to their teammates and peers. Who can blame them? It was the received wisdom.

[/quote]

Listen I'll be honest with you..I had the privilege of being in a screening with a certain very successful local coach.  Not saying his name..cough..(Strike Squad).  HE said to the young fellas something like..."At 17 he was playing ball for the National team...At 17 Pele was playing ball for the nation team and some players just don't have that."  To me it said...being a good footballer meant you needed to be like Pele.  Now this coach cared for football in T&T, no doubt.  But I think it embodies a superstar mindset that minimizes discipline and development of good players into great players.  Hence we don't have a base of creating solid teams year after year, and we should.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In Brazil there's a term they use very sparingly...It's called  "Football Genius."  In Brazilian culture a "Football Genius"  is born.  I point this out to prove the importance of development.  In my opinion Trinidad has produced some "Football Geniuses"  The one I know of is Latapy.  I believe Latas is a born "Football Genius" On the other hand Dwight Yorke..(To me)  is not a "Football Genius."   Dwight Yorke was grown.  Now which became the more successful baller The Genius or the guy that was grown.  I rest my case.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

the only thing about the league was depending who your coach was and what level you played you won't allowed to play(at least on match day), nuff men used to take the chance for that glory yes

Midday league encompasses virtually all of my competitive football the rest being bits of GUADIY League in UWI.  Hockey and rugby was more my deal.....football was fete match ting.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

Pardner.. you train under barnie and went Fatima to boot? I now see barnie de other day on eastern parkway.

I start playing ball with BBP when i was 10 or 11.. enter Fatima in form one in 1992... what years was you?

on a next note i start competitive ball with my local cub scouts team round de time de strike squad was cooking.. so early 89
I was 2 years behind you in 94

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

I was 2 years behind you in 94

so what you was in dwn year then? i think i might know who is you... we never had this convo before? check yuh pm
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

Dont know if yuh remember, but what used to crack meh up with Barnie is at the beginning of every drill, he used to  bawl out 'exercise commence" :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:11:25 PM by College »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
start playing for my school in std 3, played for coffee boys, st margarets and sando boys gov't....yeah i went plenty primary schools.

like dem schools was trying to get rid of you  ;D
I played with San Fernando Boys Government stadard 4 (skipped 3  ;D)
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>