April 26, 2024, 10:26:22 AM

Author Topic: Controversy as MaPau vs Jabloteh match abandoned  (Read 6546 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Controversy as MaPau vs Jabloteh match abandoned
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »
Not sure of all the facts, but last nights First Citizens Cup match between Ma Pau & Jabloteh was called off by officials.

Apparently, the problem was a clash of uniforms. Ma Pau, the home team wore all black, with their keeper wearing green. Jabloteh wore green shirts, black shorts and black socks. We thought it strange that the keeper was wearing the same colour as the opposition, but this didn't appear to be the main issue.

Both teams had warmed up for 30 minutes during the Joe Public/North East game, then warmed up on the pitch. Then the baccanal started with the match officials talking to both coaches.

Apparently, Jabloteh didn't bring a second kit and the referree did not want to play with both teams wearing same coloured shorts and socks. Ma Pau offered Jabloteh a set of brand new adidas red socks, but they refused. Ma Pau refused to change their goalies shirt. The outcome was that the game was abandoned with the possibility of Ma Pau being awarded the result as they were correctly dressed, being the home team.

Then, the spectators went into uproar, demanding their money back. But many had entered free of charge during the first half of the first match as no one was manning the turnstiles!!

The true outcome was embarrassment. I'm sure First Citizens were not impressed and it doesn't exactly encourage more spectators to cup and league football. Finally, the staff at Hasely Crawford looked completely perplexed as to how to resolve the issue of refunds.

Madness. Another step backwards for Trini football!!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Controversy as MaPau vs Jabloteh match abandoned
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:29:43 AM »
so wait teams doh have a home and away kit?

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »
Not sure of all the facts, but last nights First Citizens Cup match between Ma Pau & Jabloteh was called off by officials.

Apparently, the problem was a clash of uniforms. Ma Pau, the home team wore all black, with their keeper wearing green. Jabloteh wore green shirts, black shorts and black socks. We thought it strange that the keeper was wearing the same colour as the opposition, but this didn't appear to be the main issue.

Both teams had warmed up for 30 minutes during the Joe Public/North East game, then warmed up on the pitch. Then the baccanal started with the match officials talking to both coaches.

Apparently, Jabloteh didn't bring a second kit and the referree did not want to play with both teams wearing same coloured shorts and socks. Ma Pau offered Jabloteh a set of brand new adidas red socks, but they refused. Ma Pau refused to change their goalies shirt. The outcome was that the game was abandoned with the possibility of Ma Pau being awarded the result as they were correctly dressed, being the home team.

Then, the spectators went into uproar, demanding their money back. But many had entered free of charge during the first half of the first match as no one was manning the turnstiles!!
The true outcome was embarrassment. I'm sure First Citizens were not impressed and it doesn't exactly encourage more spectators to cup and league football. Finally, the staff at Hasely Crawford looked completely perplexed as to how to resolve the issue of refunds.

Madness. Another step backwards for Trini football!!

This is WE professional league :rotfl:

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:46:57 AM »
Ma Pau vs Jabloteh match did not play, I suppose the league will decide the next course of action, we will have to wait & see. Apparently Jabloteh being the visiting team was asked to change their kit as Ma Pau (Home team) was playing in an all black kit, Jabloteh with Green jersey, black shorts, black socks. The referee asked Jabloteh to change their shorts & socks. Apparently Fenwick refused, but then I was told by a coach of one of the teams in the league that at the launching of the FCB Cup teams were told that they should walk with two kits for each game.
Anyway plenty bacchanal & patrons demanded their money back & that was done.
I think this was unfortunate & I believe that given the two coaches involved, there would not have been an amicable outcome.
How the league will deal with this, I don't know, what will the sponsors have to say, I don't know. 
I await with bated breath!!!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:50:31 AM by soccerrama »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
so wait teams doh have a home and away kit?

I believe teams are required to walk with a home and away kit.

To be fair, this happens all around the world. I remember a Millwall vs Gillingham match where the  Gillingham kit man forgot to put their away kit on the bus and both teams play in blue. Millwall lent Gillingham their 3rd strip which was green. Gillingham won 3-0. Imagine being the away team in a derby match and you beat your bitter rivals wearing their uniform. Priceless!!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »
Should not the home team change? To me that's how it always went. If strips are similar the home team suppose to change.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
Should not the home team change? To me that's how it always went. If strips are similar the home team suppose to change.

actually is the opposite

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »
I can't understand why these things are happening at this level of our Football,not in these times when you say you have a Pro league,that's why you see teams are fined so heavily because these policies are usually set in stone,we are lucky the Pro league don't have the kind of audience/attendance like what you see in the EPL etc you have to give back people all the money they pay to come in, this affects the running of your league,people not going to come and watch Football.
In the US you even get that happening with 5?6yrs old because these things are policies set be the various leagues,managers call each other ahead of games to clarify colour of uniform,field confirmation,time of game,  there are contact numbers in case you running late or get lost etc etc
What amazes me is one Major league we have,it's not like in the day when we had POSFL,SAFL,Central League etc etc  and all used to run efficiently,now you have one and there are so many deficiencies,these are reasons players don't want to come back home and play or the crowds don't come out,when they get used to the system in which they play abroad it's a problem for them at home,this is the reason our foreign Pros play so different for their clubs than T&T,the attention they pay to every detail in their preparation for a game is what Professional means.
      This is sad when you try to consider why the standard and level of our Football is the way it is.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
What happen to your team North East Stars, I hear ah shit team like Joe Public buss they ass 2-0.

Dam !!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »
What happen to your team North East Stars, I hear ah shit team like Joe Public buss they ass 2-0.

Dam !!!

JP who win five titles last year is a "shit team."

You really have a complex about NE Stars boy.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

AirMan

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »

Dam !!!

:D  dais the same shit team who finishing top 3 every year

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
Heard McComie on TV...Didn't say anything to improve the situation to say the least... Came across like a real A hole too. Would like to get the facts on this story
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
Heard McComie on TV...Didn't say anything to improve the situation to say the least... Came across like a real A hole too. Would like to get the facts on this story

Then it was another day in d office 4 him.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »

Thats like saying Beulah comes accross as fat. He don't come accross..he IS an A-hole

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »

Thats like saying Beulah comes accross as fat. He don't come accross..he IS an A-hole

OUCHHHHHHHHH :rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 12:14:11 AM »

i was trying to be diplomatic about it lol
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 04:42:17 AM »
Same socks, no match
Clashing colours lead to cancellation of quarter-final
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

It was a disturbing sight, fans angrily pounding on the cashier's cage at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Saturday night, demanding their money back from Digicel Pro League administrator Julia Baptiste.

What was supposed to be a big occasion–the First Citizens Cup quarter-final involving two of Trinidad and Tobago's top pro teams, Ma Pau and San Juan Jabloteh–soon turned sour when match officials scrapped the game due to a dispute between the clubs. The main issue was that both teams were wearing black pants and black socks.

From the start, the quarter-final double-header–which also featured Joe Public versus North East Stars–was plagued with problems.

Originally, the double-header was scheduled for Friday at the Marvin Lee Stadium, without taking into consideration that Joe Public had a CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final match in Mexico two days before against Santos Laguna.

Then it was shifted to Saturday at the "Marvin Lee" to give Joe Public a chance to recover and finally on Friday it was moved to the Hasely Crawford Stadium because the Centre of Excellence administrators wanted no more double-headers at the venue due to the amount of football played there recently.

In the first match on Saturday, Joe Public beat North East Stars 2-0 via a header from Antiguan Gayson Gregory (36th) and a 45th minute Kerry Baptiste penalty to book their semi-final spot in the First Citizens Cup.

But when Ma Pau and Jabloteh took the field, there was a long delay before the match officials marched away and called off the game.

The reason for the argument was that the black pants and socks which Jabloteh wore clashed with home team Ma Pau. Much of the dispute may have also had to do with a rivalry between coaches Michael McComie (Ma Pau) and Englishman Terry Fenwick (Jabloteh), who are far from being friends.

Over the years, there have been plenty heated moments between the two coaches, like in the 2009 FA Trophy final which almost came to blows and ended with McComie accusing Fenwick of spitting on him.

On Saturday July 31, the exact "socks" problem halted their Lucozade Sport Goal Shield quarter-final, until away team Jabloteh changed into red socks loaned to them by Joe Public.

Before leaving the venue on Saturday, Fenwick made only a brief statement.

"Yet again we have controversy at a match. We've got to recognise finances are tight right now...we have black socks instead of red ones," Fenwick declared. "Obviously we are very disappointed and the sponsors will be disgusted that the game has not gone on."

Ma Pau coach McComie quickly defended his own position, stating: "I did not stop the game. Of course, the match commissioner and the officials are aware of the rules, and at the same time they are the ones that will make the decision if the game will be played or not. I am not in control, and Ma Pau is not in control of putting a game off.

"At the press conference to launch the tournament it states very clearly that the away mentioned team had to come with their two sets of uniforms," said McComie. "The referee came across to us and indicated that Jabloteh refused to put on the red stockings. We have no problem with the black pants that they have, but we offered to loan them our red stockings and they refused to take it...that is what the referee told me. And, as such, he had no other alternative but to cancel the game.

"It is quite clear in the rule book with the rules and regulations that run the tournament. Fines will be handed out, I assume, whether it be to Ma Pau or Jabloteh, whoever is in breach of the regulations, but that is for the Pro League. We are the home team today and we just showed up to try to play a quarter-final. Unfortunately, I just feel sorry for the supporters who came out to see the game. It was a big night and they expected to see a good competitive match."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 05:48:50 AM »
I like Fenwick... can't stand McComie.  But that said, these two "adults", and I use the term very loosely in this regard, couldn't put aside ego long enough to rectify such a simple problem... and that's a damn shame.  I hate to say it too, but I putting this one on Fenwick, take de blasted socks, yuh club done fack up by not walking with a change of kit, take the socks and cool yuh blasted herbs.  Yuh in de wrong.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 07:16:43 AM »
I like Fenwick... can't stand McComie.  But that said, these two "adults", and I use the term very loosely in this regard, couldn't put aside ego long enough to rectify such a simple problem... and that's a damn shame.  I hate to say it too, but I putting this one on Fenwick, take de blasted socks, yuh club done fack up by not walking with a change of kit, take the socks and cool yuh blasted herbs.  Yuh in de wrong.
        I agree with you here Bakes,it's obvious these two individuals don't like or respect each other,we all know what that stems from,i can't see big men carrying on like this.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
I agree. I know and like both guys. But it seems once they put their coaches hat on, they lose some common sense. Its a shame because they can both bring so many good things to the game. Mind you, look at the "great" Sir Alex. He's still refusing to do interviews with the BBC, preferring instead to pay a fine every week!! 

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5EvMp-1lw8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D5EvMp-1lw8</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »
2 Sunday morning sides would have resolved that issue with ease!!!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 06:15:06 AM »

Dam !!!

JP who win five titles last year is a "shit team."

You really have a complex about NE Stars boy.

Not that boss, JP lost half they team last year that won all those titles.

JP is on a down now and NE Stars should have taken advantage of that.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline HEARNAR

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
That is a sad situation. Our pro league called off a game due to uniforms. This makes it sound like the league is a bush league. This doesn't look good for a league that is trying to get fans back out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »
McComie is such a c**t... "obviously this is a result of his inferior coaching, he's afraid to play the game".  Yuh done in the right on the uniform issue, yuh going to use a Pro League interview to throw talk at the man?  Fenwick wasn't exactly ah angel himself by saying "McComie's always got something to moan about".  The league needs to fine not just the teams but these two men as well.  

This is an embarrassment.  Imagine you struggling to draw flies and people pay they hard earned money to come out, sponsors done reticent to spend they money in these economic times and yuh pull ah big name sponsor... and THIS is the kinda shit yuh teams and coaches carrying on with?  Ah watching to see what Skeene and dem will do.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 09:22:59 AM »
I feel man just trying to drum up interest wit wrestling talk.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 09:37:09 AM »
 :oWow, I dont know which to be ashamed of the most; the controversy of the events that caused the game to be postponed or the one-sided criticism of McComie in the responses of this thread. I guess the protection of complexion is alive and well. If the rules state Jabloteh as the away team must bring two sets, who is Fenwick to take exception? The League should fine Jabloteh and charge the game as a forfeit. Those of you who are blastin' McComie should be shame. He may be this and that but sounds like he completely in the right. Trinis, we are so quick and comfortable in cryin' down our own.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:25 AM »
:oWow, I dont know which to be ashamed of the most; the controversy of the events that caused the game to be postponed or the one-sided criticism of McComie in the responses of this thread. I guess the protection of complexion is alive and well. If the rules state Jabloteh as the away team must bring two sets, who is Fenwick to take exception? The League should fine Jabloteh and charge the game as a forfeit. Those of you who are blastin' McComie should be shame. He may be this and that but sounds like he completely in the right. Trinis, we are so quick and comfortable in cryin' down our own.

Are you saying people are siding with Fenwick solely because he is white?

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »

Are you saying people are siding with Fenwick solely because he is white?

You have time with this imps?  I'z de only man in here crying down McComie fuh he c**tish ways... but even I and all saying he right.  Some people juss have dey own 'color' axe tuh grind.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »

Mc Comie "this is being done because the inferiority of his coaching and probably he is afraid".  . come on tempo i expect better ...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:45:11 AM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>