March 28, 2024, 01:01:16 PM

Author Topic: Controversy as MaPau vs Jabloteh match abandoned  (Read 6501 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Controversy as MaPau vs Jabloteh match abandoned
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »
this reminiscent of when portsmouth show up to play dc united this july with no uniforms atall.

they had to borrow DCU away kit for the 4-0 ass-cutting.

http://footballfashion.org/wordpress/2010/07/26/video-dc-united-4-portsmouth-fc-0-friendly-highlights/

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
:oWow, I dont know which to be ashamed of the most; the controversy of the events that caused the game to be postponed or the one-sided criticism of McComie in the responses of this thread. I guess the protection of complexion is alive and well. If the rules state Jabloteh as the away team must bring two sets, who is Fenwick to take exception? The League should fine Jabloteh and charge the game as a forfeit. Those of you who are blastin' McComie should be shame. He may be this and that but sounds like he completely in the right. Trinis, we are so quick and comfortable in cryin' down our own.

Never fails to shock me when people keep looking to play the race card. Aren't we all more grown up than that these days? Watch Trini 2014's lil vid of Notting Hill....thats how it was 35 years ago. Mccomie & Fenwick hate each other. McComie used this to batter Fenwick and Fenwick slid in a few sly shots too. McComie was probably more in the wrong for his comments and Fenwick was in the wrong not to wear red socks. People comment on those facts. I find it offensive that you then try to make it a race issue. I would look to yourself before you criticise others of racism, my friend.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »
Yes, there is a double standard based partly on race and nationality. Call a spade a spade. Those who want to hem and haw about it is your own business. You can't tell me with a straight face there arent things Fenwick gets away with that others who arent white or English can't even dream of. McComie has done his share of nonsense but why should his history gloss over the wrong Fenwick has done in this particular instance. Why should people even raise McComie's past? It's irrelevant. By making McComie the issue, you all are making excuses for Fenwick.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
Yes, there is a double standard based partly on race and nationality. Call a spade a spade. Those who want to hem and haw about it is your own business. You can't tell me with a straight face there arent things Fenwick gets away with that others who arent white or English can't even dream of. McComie has done his share of nonsense but why should his history gloss over the wrong Fenwick has done in this particular instance. Why should people even raise McComie's past? It's irrelevant. By making McComie the issue, you all are making excuses for Fenwick.

Why is Fenwick's "history" important if McComie's history isn't in play?

Your hormonal ranting aside... can't you point to ONE post which makes excuse for Fenwick or conversely, blames McComie for this incident?  Just one.

Thanks.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 01:13:18 PM »

what did Fenwick get away with that others have not?

The past is relevant...McCopmie coached an U-23 side loaded with well regarded youngsters at the time like Keon Daniel, Khaleem Hyland, Peltier, Guerra, Carlyle mitchell, Hayden Tinto and Kendall Jadeosingh and still collect 3 from the likes of Grenada and Cuba. He have real gumption to call anybody a poor coach.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »
Unreal...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
did I hear right from the interview Fenwick saying that McComie had the game called off. ah hope not! this is clearly on Jab....if anybody should be fine is Jab.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »

Why is Fenwick's "history" important if McComie's history isn't in play?

Your hormonal ranting aside... can't you point to ONE post which makes excuse for Fenwick or conversely, blames McComie for this incident?  Just one.

Well, your rant about calling McComie a c**t would qualify as a statement that makes McComie the central issue when he should not be. By making McComie the issue, you are blaming him for the problem. I'm simply saying that is not right. Why couldnt the match commissioner give Fenwick an ultimatum; "change the socks or forfeit the game"?

By not laying complete blame on Fenwick is to give him a pass and this seems to be the norm. As for past incidents involving Fenwick, how about him licking down a man and getting barely a slap on the wrist from the league. Or how about kicking the line of water containers onto the field yet the referee did not card him. In fact, the 4th official cleaned up the mess. Anyone who has attended the games within earshot of the guy knows about the abusive language he hurls at the referees yet with any other coach, the referees get rabbit ears and are quick to give a card for dissent. Now, if this comes off as a hormonal rant, then so be it. And to the others, sad but true fact, race is a frequent factor whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:40:02 PM by Tallman »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
I think the point is...whatever personal view people have about Fenwick or McComie, nobody has said Fenwick isn't to blame and McComie is.

But I agree with the point that the ref should have issued an ultimatum regarding socks, however, from what I hear there were other issues other than socks. I don't know the facts, but I hear that McComie could be in as much trouble as Fenwick. Guess we'll have to await the findings of the ProLeague investigation to get the full picture.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »
If it was as simple as socks, or the uniform, the ref would have called the game and give Ma Pau a 3-0 win. It have more in the mortar.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »
Well, your rant about calling McComie a c**t would qualify as a statement that makes McComie the central issue when he should not be. By making McComie the issue, you are blaming him for the problem. I'm simply saying that is not right. Why couldnt the match commissioner give Fenwick an ultimatum; "change the socks or forfeit the game"?

By not laying complete blame on Fenwick is to give him a pass and this seems to be the norm. As for past incidents involving Fenwick, how about him licking down a man and getting barely a slap on the wrist from the league. Or how about kicking the line of water containers onto the field yet the referee did not card him. In fact, the 4th official cleaned up the mess. Anyone who has attended the games within earshot of the guy knows about the abusive language he hurls at the referees yet with any other coach, the referees get rabbit ears and are quick to give a card for dissent. Now, if this comes off as a hormonal rant, then so be it. And to the others, sad but true fact, race is a frequent factor whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Whether you like it or not Michael McComie is ALWAYS the central issue of anything he involve with.  I went to school with the dude (albeit for one year) and his behavior is now as it was then, I doubt he has matured on drop since.  Which is why I started by making my position clear... I like Fenwick and I can't stand McComie.... but even that notwithstanding, I said Fenwick was wrong.  Apparently in your haste to defend McComie against imagined wrongs you missed that.

I came back and said McComie is a c**t because of his comments... his comments are unnecessarily inflammatory, no two professionals should be carrying on like that throwing words in the media... especially not media that is being distributed by your employer.  You could insist that race is a factor all you want but the fact of the matter is that I thought McComie's comments were more unprofessional than Fenwick's... and totally in keeping with the c**tish character I knew back in secondary school.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 10:36:09 PM »
I agree there is more than socks at play in this drama. But if the away team is supposed to change their uniform and didn't travel with it, no matter how McComie got on, Jabloteh was wrong. Personal feelings about McComie should not be used to determine who is at fault in this case. So, I will try to be more clear about my points:

1. McComie's a**holeness or perceived a**holeness is not the issue
2. By focusing on McComie rather than the person responsible for the controversy, you are excusing the real culprit
3. You don't have to expressly state McComie is at fault for the incident. Such a sentiment can be implied by focusing on negative characteristics of McComie while de-emphasizing Fenwick's role through barely mentioning his name (very common tactic used in political campaigns)
4. There have been a series of incidents involving Fenwick that can lead a reasonable person to believe he is allowed to play by a different set of rules. The only other person who enjoys a similar dynamic is JAW and he is the most powerful football figure in the world. Go figure.

I could care less about McComie or Fenwick. They are grown men who can handle their business. But I do have a problem with people who think that it is somehow beneath common decency to even look at the possibility that race and the remaining aspects of colonialism could be still be at play in 21st century T&T.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »
I agree there is more than socks at play in this drama. But if the away team is supposed to change their uniform and didn't travel with it, no matter how McComie got on, Jabloteh was wrong. Personal feelings about McComie should not be used to determine who is at fault in this case. So, I will try to be more clear about my points:

1. McComie's a**holeness or perceived a**holeness is not the issue
2. By focusing on McComie rather than the person responsible for the controversy, you are excusing the real culprit
3. You don't have to expressly state McComie is at fault for the incident. Such a sentiment can be implied by focusing on negative characteristics of McComie while de-emphasizing Fenwick's role through barely mentioning his name (very common tactic used in political campaigns)
4. There have been a series of incidents involving Fenwick that can lead a reasonable person to believe he is allowed to play by a different set of rules. The only other person who enjoys a similar dynamic is JAW and he is the most powerful football figure in the world. Go figure.

I could care less about McComie or Fenwick. They are grown men who can handle their business. But I do have a problem with people who think that it is somehow beneath common decency to even look at the possibility that race and the remaining aspects of colonialism could be still be at play in 21st century T&T.

After all this long talk I can only conclude that you's ah f**king imps.

Personal feelings was not used to determine who was wrong b/c almost unanimously everyone has said that Fenwick is wrong.  Only you feel it necessary to be carrying McComie jock for whatever reason.  My personal feelings about McComie became a factor only AFTER I said up front that Fenwick was wrong.

1. McComie's assholeness, and confirmed assholeness became an issue only because you took umbrage with the characterization.
2. By focusing on the personal criticism of McComie you have elevated a sub-issue into a point of major discussion, all the while ignoring that everyone is in substantial agreement as to where blame lies in the actual dispute.
3. You ignore what's expressly stated in plain English, in favor of fabricating some imagined grievance.
4. You say you don't care about McComie or Fenwick, yet you can cite chapter and verse a number of incidents with Fenwick from memory.  Seems like yuh have ah thing fuh de man. 

Funny also that yuh should mention Jack... if only Lincoln Phillips was advocating for the blacklisted players the way you here advocating for McComie, imagine how much better a shape our football would be in today.

Yuh final closing salvo further confirms your imps status... nobody said race could no longer be a factor in the 21st Century, that was not your initial position.  Your position was that people blasting McComie and 'supporting' (as you see it) Fenwick because Fenwick white.  People properly call yuh out on that shit talk and now yuh shifting goal posts to say that they saying race can't be a factor today.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:11:45 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 11:29:24 PM »
play de fitball
with or without socks
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2010, 04:57:23 AM »
:oWow, I dont know which to be ashamed of the most; the controversy of the events that caused the game to be postponed or the one-sided criticism of McComie in the responses of this thread. I guess the protection of complexion is alive and well. If the rules state Jabloteh as the away team must bring two sets, who is Fenwick to take exception? The League should fine Jabloteh and charge the game as a forfeit. Those of you who are blastin' McComie should be shame. He may be this and that but sounds like he completely in the right. Trinis, we are so quick and comfortable in cryin' down our own.

Never fails to shock me when people keep looking to play the race card. Aren't we all more grown up than that these days? Watch Trini 2014's lil vid of Notting Hill....thats how it was 35 years ago. Mccomie & Fenwick hate each other. McComie used this to batter Fenwick and Fenwick slid in a few sly shots too. McComie was probably more in the wrong for his comments and Fenwick was in the wrong not to wear red socks. People comment on those facts. I find it offensive that you then try to make it a race issue. I would look to yourself before you criticise others of racism, my friend.

Good reply Football supporter....

Them men does only bring color into everything insteading of blaming theyselves.

Some ah them vex to because Lauren Schmidt white.....

Michael McComies is a asshole, I hate that bitch...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 07:27:10 AM »
Moving the goalpost? ::) Bake and Shark asked me to identify "one" instance where McComie was blamed and I provided it. Once you get personal and begin the name calling, you've lost the argument.

Our society continues to give too much deference to non-Trinbagonians. Some of that has to do with race, some of that has to do with nationality. In Fenwick's case, he is the beneficiary of both and hear this; I'm not mad at Fenwick. I am just disappointed in those who allow the condition to exist.

I'm curious, would you all consider T&T to be an anglophile society? Another question to ponder is whether this is a style vs. substance issue. A lot of people don't like McComie's style, including me, and it probably will overshadow any substantive and legitimate point/poistion he may have. But sometimes we have to step back and take a moment to say wait a minute, why are these serious incidents involving breaches of sportsmanship happening around the same person year after year. This is my overall point.

Raising the issue has nothing to do about "being grown up" or "blaming" myself. This talk about me playing the "race card" is the same nonsense you hear rednecks say when they are caught doing their nonsense. In this case I am calling out our own shortcomings in imposing double standards on ourselves. There are those who can't or refuse to see race as a possible unconscious factor in Fenwick not getting the full force of blame for this incident.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
I was trying hard not to get involved in this discussion, but at the moment it seems like I need to.

As the first person who made any reference to McComie's assholery, let me make a couple of things clear.

When I saw the video clip, I only saw McComie's statement. I also missed the report and only had (what was then) an unconfirmed report from a forumite to go on. I patently pointed out that I would like to have had all the full facts on the story. Nevertheless, in McComie's side of the story (the only one I had) his response struck me as classless, tactless and needlessly inflaming a tense situation.

I cast no judgement on the right and the wrong in the matter because I had insufficient (in my view) data to go on.
Since then further information has arrived that suggests Fenwick was in the wrong x 2. That does not change my original take on McComie's interview i.e. a right asshole is still an asshole (and trust me, Fenwick ent no saint in my book...)

I'm not sure how you went from that to getting fodder to feed your (Tempo) theory of social stratification and deference, or whatever you want to call it, but do carry on... it look like B&S happy to oblige
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Jabloteh fined $6,000
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 12:22:45 AM »
Jabloteh fined $6,000
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Already financially-strapped San Juan Jabloteh now have to find an extra $6,000 to pay in fines, after they were deemed to have breached the competition rules following their aborted First Citizen Bank knockout football competition quarter-final last Saturday against Ma Pau Football Club.

The match was due to be played as the second of a Hasely Crawford Stadium double-header, but was abandoned because both the home team Ma Pau FC and San Juan Jabloteh entered the field wearing black pants and socks. After several failed attempts to get a change of strip from one of the teams, referee Gordon Maloney abandoned the match.

In response, the Pro League's disciplinary committee met on Tuesday to investigate the matter. In their deliberations, the committee viewed the reports of the officiating referee, Gordon Maloney and the presiding match commissioner, Frank Rodriguez and also interviewed representatives from both clubs. The committee then made their recommendations to the Board of Directors, with whom the sole jurisdiction rested for the adjudication of this matter.

And yesterday, the League released their decision on the conflict and declared Ma Pau as the winners of the match and fined San Juan Jabloteh.

The Pro League release said:

"In light of the foregoing, the following unanimous decision was taken by the Board of Directors:

i. That Ma Pau SC are declared the winners of the second quarter final of the First Citizens Cup competition 2010.

ii.That San Juan Jabloteh are fined the sum of six thousand dollars ($6000.00) for breaching the rules of the competition."

In making their decision, the disciplinary committee followed both the Pro League rules, and the rules of the First Citizen Cup.

The release further added that in the case where a league match is postponed or abandoned without either of the participating clubs being at fault, under the provisions of Rule E.10, it shall be reported to the Board by the match commissioner.

And, the Board will then decide, in its sole discretion, the penalties to be imposed on the offending club. Additionally, the rules governing the 2010 First Citizens Cup Competition state: Teams are always to travel with their home and away strips, and if the need arises, the away team will have to make a strip change. Since they were the away team, Jabloteh were deemed to have breached the rules.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TENok_HN6cI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TENok_HN6cI</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>