April 26, 2024, 12:34:57 PM

Author Topic: Latapy shifts focus for Cup, considers Birchall.  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Latapy shifts focus for Cup, considers Birchall.
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:44:25 AM »
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express).

Forced to change Poor results.

Trinidad and Tobago men senior team head coach Russell Latapy has indicated a desire to win the 2010 Digicel Caribbean Cup, and so has shifted his philosophy of using a locally-based team for the Digicel Caribbean Cup.

Yesterday, the former Porto and Rangers midfielder also reveal that he would rather lose Sunday's grudge match against Caribbean rivals Jamaica in Kingston on Sunday and have the Soca Warriors peak in time to win the Caribbean Cup in December.

And he hinted that to achieve that goal, several foreign-based players, including LA Galaxy midfielder Chris Birchall may soon be given their chance to vie for selection.

Prior to yesterday's training session, Latapy met with local reporters where he addressed several issues. Starting with the call-ups for USA-based Yohansey Marshall, Julius James, Cornell Glen and Puerto Rico Islanders Keon Daniel for Sunday's match in Jamaica, Latas said he would now use a blend of local and foreign-based players in his squad. Birchall could be one of those invited.

"Chissy (Chris Birchall) is a fantastic player, and is part of the plans, along with the other players who I think can contribute, Latapy declared. "Like I said before, every single player who is eligible to play for Trinidad and Tobago and who can help the team progress.. they in my plans."

Asked what caused his shift in attitude towards calling up foreign-based players Latapy said:"What encouraged that was results basically."

"We weren't getting results. We tried to give the local players the opportunity to step forward. Unfortunately, some of them didn't...... that is what prompted the return to invite some of the foreign players," Latapy said. "I think with the foreign players coming in it would take us a bit further forward because of the level they are playing at and their understanding of the game."

"The reality is that we have a way that we would like to play and that is what we are working on and all our preparation is geared basically and principally towards the Digicel Cup," Latapy said . "Apparently, from what was said, that is what I will be judged on, so my focus is the Digicel Cup, and I am working towards that. I would much prefer to peak around the Digicel Cup time, and not now. "

Latapy did not hide the fact that his job may be in jeopardy because of recent moderate results. Without going into details, Latapy told reporters that there have been meetings with both the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) and the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs about the current situation.

He also recognised that his position as head coach was a result-oriented one. But, he also disclosed that he and his staff were working under difficult conditions, due mainly to the financial state of the TTFF.

First, he has not been able to get a settled technical staff, and the ones he has, have not been paid for a year. He added also the desire to play higher quality opponents, but that too depended on the financial standing of the TTFF.

"The reality in our football here, is that we do the best that we can do with the situation that we are working under," Latapy said. "The staff hasn't been paid for close to a year." "It is the current staff of the national senior team.......almost a year," he declared in response to further questioning.

Finally, he said that he was willing to listen to many opinions, but ultimately will make decisions based on his football philosophy.

Latapy said that if he is able to get the team playing the way he wants, and to full potential, he believes that the results of the Digicel Caribbean Cup will be positive. But, he asked the relevant authorities for their support.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy shifts focus for Cup, considers Birchall.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:53:16 AM »
ah was going an say, "wha mother-c*&t vie for wha effing selection" (in reference to Birchall)....but Latas dem cyah tie me up and send up my blood pressure wid dey jackassness!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »
Is about @#%**&^ time Latas get real and consider the best players available to him.  I really interested to see the squad for the Digicel Caribbean Cup....  It looks like he'll be given the resources available to be successful.  So if he's not, then fire he arse yes....  I all fuh supporting Latas and giving him options but we need results..period...end of story.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:24:06 AM »
 peltier and tinto dey  bring in birchall as carter replacement
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 07:39:20 AM »
Great ! ,but latas talking tata ,cause he should remember he never picked the best of the locally based players ,but his hen picked guys .So he cant just dash way local men yet .

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »
latas does read de forum boy  :devil:
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:16:11 AM »
Haven't been paid for a year, that means that the current government is responsible for at least 5 months so what say you Jack?, why have they not been paid?

How is the "government" responsible for paying TTFF personnel salary?

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:34 AM »
Haven't been paid for a year, that means that the current government is responsible for at least 5 months so what say you Jack?, why have they not been paid?

You obviously have not been around. Why then was Jack always in a row with the previous government, please do your research. Wasn't he always complaining about the coaches not being paid because the TTFF had not received any money from government, so maybe you should direct that question to Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So answer this question then: Why (not how) is the "government" responsible for paying the TTFF personnel salary?
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:53:54 AM »
stueps i in this long time too know talk doh mean shit, until action happen. When i see Chris playing on the field in t&t colors i go believe then.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »

You obviously have not been around. Why then was Jack always in a row with the previous government, please do your research. Wasn't he always complaining about the coaches not being paid because the TTFF had not received any money from government, so maybe you should direct that question to Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So answer this question then: Why (not how) is the "government" responsible for paying the TTFF personnel salary?
[/b]

There are none so dumb as those who cannot understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answer the question! One good reason why that should be government responsibility? Always government, government, government!  That is why we stuck where we are. 
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »

That headline says it all!

Translation for non-Trinis: Latapy shifts focus after f&%*ing-up, considers Birchall!  :devil:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:14:38 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »
Off course Latapy was put up to say his technical staff didn't get paid for a year now. This way FIFA cannot link the T&T government and the TTFF as one.

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:04 AM »
To soccerama, the gov't is NOT responsible for paying the salaries of the TTFF. It is a private entity and is responsible for generating funds for the organisation. Governments have assisted the TTFF financially in the past but its not their responsibility. 
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »
Anil and d forum light ah match under Latas

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
To soccerama, the gov't is NOT responsible for paying the salaries of the TTFF. It is a private entity and is responsible for generating funds for the organisation. Governments have assisted the TTFF financially in the past but its not their responsibility. 

I does have to wonder sometimes.  Maybe he was being facetious... but the way we vaille-qui-vaille yuh could never be sure.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »
Anybody else hear Latas say on the tv that the senior team had training inside the stadium on Monday, got to use the training field on wednesday but were told that they could not train on Tuesday...yet it had a fetematch playing on the field? Plus the man cah get staff, the man cah get the friendlies he want...but he taking all the blame.

And on top of that, they gone and publish his salary to make it look like he getting big money...but u will see how long they take to pay it.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
Hello, I never said that government is responsible for paying the technical staff salaries, all I was implying was that in the past whenever the topic of salaries came up, Jack was always blaming the government, saying that the TTFF had not received monies from them (have you all conveniently forgotten that), and hence the reason why the salaries were not being paid, so all I am saying that based on this then Jack's government is doing the same thing that he was accusing the past administration of. Please try to understand me, I am not the one advocating for government to pay the technical staff salaries.
I rest my case.   

I have no idea why you carrying on so extra... no one has "conveniently" forgotten anything, if you notice I even gave you the benefit of the doubt by allowing that you possibly was being facetious in your post.  Had you simply clarified your position in response to the initial question then we wouldn't be where we are. 

At any rate, I don't believe Jack has ever really raised the issue of non-government payments as an excuse for the TTFF failing to meet its financial obligations.  Instead I think he was usually happy to remind all and sundry that in the absence of those gov't contributions, the TTFF has been able to carry on becuase he was the one who put up his own money to ensure that bills were paid etc.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
Wait... Pay the man.... That's not rite... Latas need to be paid for his services. And he is going in the rite direction, he had to see for himself and now his mind satisfied we can move on to bigger players that can represent us properly.

So all ah we bustin latas balls and he not even getting paid... I layin off yes.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »
All still buying that "WE locals aint good thing"  SCHHUUUEPSSS!!!!   Latas ain't no COACH!!!! dread  and now he putting it on them.  Have you ever heard Latas say..."We need to do some things different tactically" ?   And you might never.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 04:45:40 PM »
All still buying that "WE locals aint good thing"  SCHHUUUEPSSS!!!!   Latas ain't no COACH!!!! dread  and now he putting it on them.  Have you ever heard Latas say..."We need to do some things different tactically" ?   And you might never.

some of d locals NOT GOOD ENOUGH. makan, aklie, theobald ( 8)) to name a few. JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH. it is not latas job to teach a man how to trap or pass a ball or how to tackle. not at dis stage.

thankfully latas saw d error of his ways and drop some of d locals who got multiple chances and didnt produce.d next couple of months is where we will really see how effective latas is as a coach.

Wait... Pay the man.... That's not rite... Latas need to be paid for his services. And he is going in the rite direction,   :o (you never cease to amaze me) he had to see for himself and now his mind satisfied we can move on to bigger players that can represent us properly.

So all ah we bustin latas balls and he not even getting paid... I layin off yes.

thanks eh, because at a point in time yuh was really overdoing it
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »
Well yesss...I cyah blame de man after hearin that nah...how u go want me to perform miracles and still not pay me...Jah Latas really love T&T football to take that for almost a year.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
Well yesss...I cyah blame de man after hearin that nah...how u go want me to perform miracles and still not pay me...Jah Latas really love T&T football to take that for almost a year.

Head coach didn't get paid (his World Cup bonus) as a player! How after that experience did he expect to get paid his agreed salary as a coach?!  ::)

Sorry to say this Latas but yuh look for that! You & Yorke should have stood strong and sided with the rest of players as yuh cyah teach an old dog (aka an old Jackula) new tricks!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:36:59 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »

Head coach didn't get paid (his World Cup bonus) as a player! How after that experience did he expect to get paid his agreed salary as a coach?!  ::)

Sorry to say this Latas but yuh look for that! You & Yorke should have stood strong and sided with the rest of players as yuh cyah teach an old dog new tricks!  ;)

First, he has not been able to get a settled technical staff, and the ones he has, have not been paid for a year

Latapy never said he never got paid ....he said his technical staff didnt get paid .His deal was specially and separately done .

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

Sorry to say this Latas but yuh look for that! You & Yorke should have stood strong and sided with the rest of players as yuh cyah teach an old dog new tricks!  ;)

First, he has not been able to get a settled technical staff, and the ones he has, have not been paid for a year

Latapy never said he never got paid ....he said his technical staff didnt get paid .His deal was specially and separately done .

Ok cool, but ah still think he and Yorke should have stuck with the rest of players regards the bonus issue as leaders of our team.  8)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
Preacher , no disrespect, but the local league is just ah glorified SSFL league, the tactics are the same, the players just ah little older and speed of play slow like molasses, yuh don't expect for fellas to develop and compete on an international level by playing in that league.

4 yrs ago rijsbergen told romany and skeene dem that the league was poor, but did they take heed? no! instead they took offense.

i understand when you said there was "no mention of upgrading tactics" though. i guess when latas said he's trying to get the team to play the way he wants them to, then maybe it's an upgrade of tactics is what he meant to say.

but them local boys playing real poor man, just look @ jabs and JP in the CCL.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PNO0i_yH91s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PNO0i_yH91s</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h9fybE-mnYg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/h9fybE-mnYg</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:16 PM »
When i look at the sympathic posts on the forum i often wonder if it's the same guys posting,is it because is Latapy and Russell we dealing with,guys it's the same players Wim,Pacho and Corneal had to deal with and you never heard anything about players,it was always those Coaches,when Wim said our locals not ready we half kill him now Latapy saying it is now we realize it's our problem.If more experience Coaches could not work with what we got what you all expect of Latas. 

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 12:09:06 PM »
When i look at the sympathic posts on the forum i often wonder if it's the same guys posting,is it because is Latapy and Russell we dealing with,guys it's the same players Wim,Pacho and Corneal had to deal with and you never heard anything about players,it was always those Coaches,when Wim said our locals not ready we half kill him now Latapy saying it is now we realize it's our problem.If more experience Coaches could not work with what we got what you all expect of Latas. 

scouting is the problem, it has better players abroad and at home self but dont get scouted or even a chance in training.

wim picked jemmott and theobald to lead the team locally and was successful. latas has more talented players and he messing up the place. as a coach he his poor tactically, lets see if he improves with this world class salary he is getting now.

with that kinda money he is getting, he should win convincingly against ja.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »

This is my view and alot of people here will feel differently. As long as head coach latas in charge of our beloved national team he will have my full support.

Yes there is players not been looked and as well as selection/tactics measures that are not to my liking but he is the man holding the mantle not us.

Lets support him while he is with us, win lose or draw he did enough for this country, we owe him alteast this much.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »

This is my view and alot of people here will feel differently. As long as head coach latas in charge of our beloved national team he will have my full support.

Yes there is players not been looked and as well as selection/tactics measures that are not to my liking but he is the man holding the mantle not us.

Lets support him while he is with us, win lose or draw he did enough for this country, we owe him alteast this much.

HUH?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>