May 01, 2024, 07:11:39 AM

Author Topic: Victim's family refuses murderer's dying apology  (Read 483 times)

truetrini

Victim's family refuses murderer's dying apology
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:20:01 AM »
Victim's family refuses murderer's dying apology
VideoPhotoMichael Benge (Courtesy of the Ohio Dept. of rehabilitation and corrections)

PreviousPlayNextRegular Photo Size12 advertisement   
ShareThis
Posted: 10/06/2010

By: Scott Wegener
LUCASVILLE, Ohio - Michael Benge of Hamilton took his final 17 steps to the Lucasville Death Chamber Wednesday morning.

He was executed for the beating death of his girlfriend, Judith Gabbard, in 1993.

Benge spoke to the family through a window from a gurney in the execution room. He said "I have caused you more pain than anyone should have to endure...I can't apologize enough...I hope my death gives you closure."

His statement left Gabbard's sister, Kathy Johnson, unmoved.

"I don't really feel like Mike Benge was ever remorseful," Johnson said. "I don't think anything he ever said was the truth and I truly do not believe he was sorry for what he did."

Benge was convicted of killing Gabbard and dumping her body into the Great Miami River in February 1993.

Before his trial, prosecutors offered to drop the death penalty specifications if he would plead guilty to aggravated murder.

That would have resulted in life in prison.

Benge declined the offer.

He drew his last breath at 10:34am as Gabbard's brother, son and daughter silently watched. They showed no emotion during the procedure which began at 10 a.m.

"It makes us feel there was justice for my sister, and that was what this was all about," said Johnson afterwards. "The jury, the judge, everyone gave him a death sentence, and it has just been too long, and now my sister can rest in peace."

Benge was the eighth person executed in the State of Ohio in 2010.

That sets a record for the most executions the state has conducted in one year since the death penalty was reinstated in 1999.

There are two more executions scheduled before they year is out.

1]; } ?>