April 25, 2024, 05:59:43 AM

Author Topic: NBA 2010-2011  (Read 28049 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2010-2011
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
Lakers Searching for Answers

By: Alex Kennedy   
Last Updated: 4/11/11 5:27 AM ET
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19401

In one week, the Los Angeles Lakers went from being the hottest team in the NBA to one of the coldest. After winning seventeen of eighteen games after the All-Star break, the Lakers have now lost five straight and allowed the Dallas Mavericks to catch them in the standings.

This is the Lakers' worst losing streak since acquiring Pau Gasol in 2007 and the team is searching for answers with the playoffs right around the corner.

"The measure of success is what you've just recently accomplished," said Lakers head coach Phil Jackson. "Right now, we're back in the middle of the pack."

"I'm surprised," Jackson said of the team's struggles. "We were complacent a little bit. We got caught. I told them yesterday at practice that I didn't think we'd be able to turn it around in one game. We're only partially back to what we're trying to do."

The general consensus in the locker room is that some quality practice time will help the Lakers right the ship. Following last night's loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder, Kobe Bryant kept to himself in the training room and was steaming while talking to reporters.

"We're just playing horrible defense right now," Bryant said while shaking his head. "We're just making too many mistakes. The mistakes that we're making are correctable though and a good practice session will correct them."

"We've got to do our jobs, which we haven't been doing. We've just got to do our jobs," Bryant added.

Andrew Bynum stressed that practice will be important because the group needs to get on the same page and start producing more as a whole.

"We know we can win, we just have to practice," Bynum said. "We're not a unit right now. There's a lot of individual stuff going right for certain guys, but as a unit and collective group, we're not there."

The Lakers are currently tied with the Mavericks in the standings and the final two games will decide what the playoff picture looks like in the West. The Lakers could slide as far as the fourth seed if they lose out and the Oklahoma City Thunder win their final two games.

The Lakers will face the San Antonio Spurs and Sacramento Kings to close the season. The Mavericks will take on the Houston Rockets and New Orleans Hornets while the Thunder will play the Sacramento Kings and Milwaukee Bucks.

"We're at the point where we must bounce back," Pau Gasol said. "We must win these last two and there's no room for error. It is what it is. I don't think anybody is keeping their head down. We're positive and we understand what's going on, but I think we could be playing a lot better and winning."

"We've gotten to the point where every game will be like a playoff game for us," Gasol added. "That's how important these next two games are. They're must wins if we want to keep that second seed."

If the playoffs started today, the second seed would face a beat up Hornets team while the third and fourth seeds would draw the red hot Portland Trail Blazers and Denver Nuggets.

"Maybe it puts us in the situation where we have to win," Lamar Odom said. "We haven't been in one of those in a long time."

Throughout the season, the Lakers have stayed atop the standings despite stretches of complacency and what seemed like boredom with the regular season. Now, their five-game losing streak has put them in a must-win situation and the team must respond to avoid a freefall.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
Weary ah hear the young Thunder boys put some licks on the lakers today lol...you forgiot to post that article ?  :D

THANKS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
This Lakers team will give ah heart attack....the past two nights have been nerve-wracking to say the least

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
Greetings. This is de de time where we will separate de men from de bois, de contenders from de pretenders and players with heart and not a hat. Let's go Heat and just show de world what you all held back until de playoffs. You all not scared, well trust me, u should be, cuz it is going to be a movie from Saturday. You heard?  8) 8) 8). HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
Joe Maloof: Kings staying in Sacramento      4Updated May 2, 2011 12:38 PM ET
Kings co-owner Joe Maloof told The Associated Press that the NBA club will remain in Sacramento for at least one more season to give Mayor Kevin Johnson a chance to follow through on his promise for a new arena.

''The mayor of Sacramento has told the NBA relocation committee that he will have a plan for a new arena within a year,'' Maloof said Monday. ''If not, the team will be relocated to another city.''

The team had been considering a move to Anaheim, Calif.

''I think it's the fair thing to do,'' Maloof said. ''We've always said we think Sacramento has the best NBA fans in the world. Their overwhelming show of support was incredible. But now they realize that we're giving them another opportunity and we're anxious to play basketball.''

Last week, Sacramento's corporate community handed NBA representatives deposits on more than $10 million in sponsorship pledges for the Kings to stay at least another year.

''We spent 13 years and millions of dollars to try to get an arena built,'' Maloof said. ''We don't have the answer. The mayor has the answers and we're willing and able to listen. He's got to have a plan. We never want to be untruthful to the fans of Sacramento. There is a sense of urgency, and that's up to mayor Johnson and his political team.''

The Maloofs explored relocation because of several failed efforts to build a new arena in Sacramento. A feasibility study for a new arena isn't scheduled to be completed until the end of May, and there has always been a divide between Kings fans and the broader public on how to finance an arena.

Maloof said he appreciated the support and encouragement from Anaheim officials.

''I am sure that Anaheim will have a team some day,'' he said.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »
DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP)
Tom Thibodeau waited about two decades to become an NBA head coach. It didn't take him long to be recognized as one of the best once he got the chance.

Thibodeau is the NBA's Coach of the Year after leading the Chicago Bulls to 62 wins in his first season to tie a league record set by Paul Westphal.

The Chicago Tribune first reported Thibodeau's selection, which was no surprise the way the Bulls dominated during the regular season. Now, after a tough five-game series against Indiana in the opening round, they'll open the Eastern Conference semifinals against Atlanta on Monday.

''After being here for a year, I realize how fortunate I am to be here,'' Thibodeau said. ''It's a great city, great fans, great organization, great players, and if it meant waiting 20 years to get this job, it was well worth the wait.''

Center Joakim Noah said Thibodeau was ''very well deserving'' of the award and called him ''one of the hardest workers I've ever been around.

''He stays in late,'' Noah added. ''He's the first one here. He was there for me all summer working me out. I felt like I really improved as a player because of him.''

Thibodeau received 475 points and 76 first-place votes from a media panel. Philadelphia's Doug Collins got 18 first-place votes and 210 points, and Gregg Popovich of San Antonio finished third.

An NBA assistant for about two decades, Thibodeau finally got his chance to lead a team after spending three seasons working for Doc Rivers in Boston. He is the fourth Chicago coach to win the award, joining Johnny Kerr (1967), Dick Motta (1971) and Phil Jackson (1996).

''I think I was very fortunate to have great jobs along the way, to be with great teams,'' he said. ''I always felt deep down that it would happen. I never doubted that it would happen. I knew I had to be patient. I recognized that these jobs were hard to get, and I was hopeful that I would get a chance. Then, I wanted to make the most of it.''

He replaced the fired Vinny Del Negro in June, and with a rebuilt roster to go with an emphasis on defense and rebounding, the Bulls breezed to a 62-20 mark that matched their best record since Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen completed their second championship three-peat at the end of the 1997-98 season.

They did all that even though prized acquisition Carlos Boozer and Noah missed significant time with injuries, capturing home-court advantage throughout the playoffs and giving their coach a share of the record Westphal set with Phoenix during the 1992-93 season.

Thibodeau was known as a defensive mastermind who helped Boston win a championship in 2008 and get back to the finals last season. He also had that reputation as a workaholic and still does.

''Every time I walk in, I look up there to see if his light is on, and if he's in the office, I'd get on the court and pretend like I'm working hard,'' forward Luol Deng said. ''I'm kidding. But every time I'd come in, his light is on. The video guys, the coaches, it's just been one of those years. Every time I came in, I'd get on the floor (and) someone is ready to come down.

''I don't know if he gets here at 5 or 6,'' he continued. ''He's here early and he's the last one to leave.''

Thibodeau's only other head coaching job was for one season at his alma mater, Division III Salem State, in the mid-1980s. He got that after three years as an assistant.

He then spent four seasons on the staff at Harvard before going to work under Bill Musselman with the expansion Minnesota Timberwolves in 1989. From there, Thibodeau embarked on a long path that ultimately led to this.

There were stops in San Antonio, Philadelphia, New York and Houston, and along the way, he developed a reputation as a defensive wizard and hardworking assistant, one that continued to grow in Bosto

The unknown, though, was how he would fare as the guy in charge.

''I knew in the first couple of weeks that he was here that we had hit a grand slam,'' general manager Gar Forman said.

The Bulls were looking for more after back-to-back 41-win seasons under Del Negro, and hiring Thibodeau was the next step in a massive overhaul.

They struck out trying to land LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in free agency, but they wound up with Boozer and one of the deepest rotations in the league.

It helped that Derrick Rose took another big leap, going from Rookie of the Year to All-Star and now an MVP favorite in just his third season.

He and Thibodeau immediately clicked, and the rest of the team bought in, too. Noah immediately realized Thibodeau was the right choice during their daily summer workouts.

''That's not something that every head coach does,'' he said. ''To work out a player individually every day in the summer, to me that says a lot. At the same time, I feel like your coach is your leader.''

Not since the Jordan-Pippen era have the Bulls been this good. They lost back-to-back games only four times during the regular season and never dropped more than two in a row, despite the injuries to Boozer and Noah. On defense, they ranked among the stingiest.

No team held opponents to a lower shooting percentage or outrebounded them by a wider margin than the Bulls, who were also second to Miami in average scoring differential. That was hardly a surprise, given their coach's reputation.

Players, meanwhile, mention Thibodeau's presence, his ability to command their attention. And, of course, his work ethic, his attention to detail.

At shootarounds, the Bulls will analyze every option in their opponent's playbook, and they will often look toward the sideline when they hear a call during games because their coach knows what's coming.

About the only thing they don't understand is why it took so long for the 53-year-old Thibodeau to get hired. His name often came up when there were openings the past few years, including Chicago's in 2008, but the wait stretched on.

Now, look at him.

''Fundamentally, he has not changed,'' said forward Brian Scalabrine, who played for Thibodeau in Boston. ''His grind is just let's get this win today, let's focus on Game 1 in the Atlanta Hawks series. What are they going to do and then the adjustments we have to do. It's not about Boston, Miami or whether the Spurs lost.''

1]; } ?>