April 29, 2024, 01:38:06 AM

Author Topic: Shame and scandal in the PP family—de Lima  (Read 2894 times)

truetrini

Shame and scandal in the PP family—de Lima
« on: October 13, 2010, 12:47:45 AM »
This PP marriage look like it heading for an annulment faster than a Las Vegas hook up

Shame and scandal in the PP family—de Lima
COP officials cry unfair treatment...
Gail Alexander
Published: 13 Oct 2010
Gail Alexander
Further front-line Congress of the People officials, including deputy chairman Hulsie Bhaggan, have hit the People’s Partnership Government—in which COP is a member—regarding selections for state boards and other issues. At a COP meeting on Monday, Bhaggan called on Prime Minister Kamla Persad- Bissessar to listen to what was being said and make changes to reflect T&T’s diversity. “Not everyone thinks alike,” Bhaggan added. Another speaker, COP’s Vernon de Lima added: “I say there is shame and scandal in the family!” Bhaggan and other speakers at the meeting in St Clair voiced the common theme that the COP was not being treated with fairness and equity. The attending crowd loudly agreed all the way. The meeting was held to feature candidates for COP’s executive election next week. Senior members vying for executive positions— such as Bhaggan, de Lima and Joseph Toney expressed concern at the state of the People’s Partnership.

De Lima, seeking for COP’s chairmanship, used the analogy of a marriage for the partnership. “Let us not hide (it) under the blanket—if something is wrong, talk about it!” he said. “Something has happened over the past few days that is disturbing and challenges the smooth running of the Partnership— there’s a rumbling and tumbling in the atmosphere. “Our people have worked hard in the trenches. Are they now being treated with fairness and consideration? Are we not partners? They’re not even asking for 50/50 Do you consider those board allocations fair?” With members loudly agreeing, de Lima said: “My understanding is that our representative on the selection board was absent when they were made and the MSJ was not even represented either. “Is that how a partnership works?...Come on—be real,” he said. “We fought the good fight and now we are sidelined...as if only to make up numbers. “There is shame and scandal in the family! If the roles were reversed we would never treat them so. We voted for change not exchange.”

De Lima said the People’s Partnership “marriage” had not irretrievably broken down. “We shall never let that happen, but to whom much is given much is expected,” he said. “To our partners, I say we can walk arm in arm without seeing eye to eye. All we ask is fairness.” De Lima said he would not throw the partnership “under the bus,” but would instead “steer the bus.” Bhaggan, also seeking COP chairmanship, said the COP felt bruised and fractured from psychological and emotional trauma. Not only was she unhappy with the state board selections, Bhaggan said, she had been unhappy also with the way seats were distributed for recent general and local government elections. Bhaggan said the COP must build a more powerful voice in the partnership and relaunch the party with a mass gathering with 25,000 people. Stating that coalitions were now more popular, Bhaggan reinforced her position against COP being absorbed into the UNC. Toney—another chairmanship contestant— agreed that COP felt “bruised and fractured.” He said many were frustrated at the pace of COP’s influence in a matter. “And I too, as well, at times,” he added.

Noting criticisms by Labour Minister Errol McLeod and others on board appointments, Toney said those people were feeling “exactly” as he felt when he heard of the appointments. He said there was a perception that COP was “under the radar,” and a gap existed between party and COP leadership. COP’s George Dhaniram—contesting the post of public relations officer—said the events of the last 72 hours concerning board appointments had made him feel that those in the corridors of power must act responsibly, fairly and equitably and undertake action to benefit all T&T. Dhaniram, warning against the partnership becoming a “warship,” said the board issue should be a wake-up call for the People’s Partnership leadership to understand that the general election win was not for one party, but for a coalition of parties. Noting COP had produced the ideas for laptops and “axing” the property tax, Dhaniram said it was now opportune for the COP to lead the battle call and be the voice of national conscience. Sport Minister Anil Roberts chaired Monday’s meeting. In a recent radio programme Roberts defended board appointments.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Shame and scandal in the PP family—de Lima
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:17:54 AM »
oh ho!  Is COP come up with them sh!t ideas of laptop and no property tax.  ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:00:51 AM »
oh ho!  Is COP come up with them sh!t ideas of laptop and no property tax.  ;D

U LATEEEEEEEE. D laptop was in d 2007 manifesto
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »
Why it hadda be 50 50?
Is not two parties in dis. Is several.

Let everybody get a cut ent?

::)

In the lust for power...take care of what yuh do and what yuh willing to do to get it.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:45:37 PM »
Daryn, Airman, Sammy, DHW, like this PP ting lasting as long as ah Brittney Spears wedding or wha?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:48:03 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »
Daryn, Airman, Sammy, DHW, like this PP ting lasting as long as ah Brittney Spears wedding or wha?

some ppl like dey vex they eh get a bligh.

But what if they fail? then what do we do? go back to rowley? this country doom yes. Bess we bring in Bakr
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 06:42:28 AM »
There is no word from Dookeran or Spalk who are Cabinet members which would signify a split. Ramsaran and these guys wanted in on a board salary. Hard luck for them. This is significant however of a disconnect within the COP. De Lima and others had expressed reservations of the way the marriage with the UNC was negotiated in the first place. Dookeran din listen , they come and win the election but they still eh really win. That is what the noise is about.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:46:18 AM »

But what if they fail? then what do we do? go back to rowley? this country doom yes. Bess we bring in Bakr

Sammy I have to agree wit u lil bit dey oui...................he not even choosing his battles well......for instance despite d money already spent, I glad d Smelter seems to be gone u need look no further than d Hungarian accident to tell yuh dat dat ain't for we.............not wit we "dont care damn" attitude and d chinese wit dey exemplary environment an' public safety records ::)
I pity the fool....

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 07:06:59 AM »

Sammy I have to agree wit u lil bit dey oui...................he not even choosing his battles well......for instance despite d money already spent, I glad d Smelter seems to be gone u need look no further than d Hungarian accident to tell yuh dat dat ain't for we.............not wit we "dont care damn" attitude and d chinese wit dey exemplary environment an' public safety records ::)

steups, imagine it have some political stooges protesting for smelter still.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 07:13:50 AM »

Dem 'stooges' actually living La Brea though.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 07:27:13 AM »

yes i know but the smelter issues goes beyond the la brea area.
(Muslim)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »

LOUDESTT OF STEUPS Bakr to replace or Tallest other than dat LOUDESTTTTTT OFFFFFF STEUPSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 07:57:32 AM »

yes i know but the smelter issues goes beyond the la brea area.
I understand that but the issues these folks have concern their livelyhood and one of the things they asked about was an alternative programme in the area.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »

I wonder what would have happened if people did NOT look past the Titanic?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »

I wonder what would have happened if people did NOT look past the Titanic?

and your point would be what ??? ................exactly ??? "dem ting does happen" ???, We have no real frame work in place to ensure dat if what happen in Hungary happen here it could br adequately handled, hell we legal system ent even setup in a way affected people could have proper redress if someting like dat happen here............doh talk for how dey "zone" dat ting and d corners dat get cut for dat to get approved.............details about d plant design an' waste disposal was conveniently glossed over and all kinda tings......one minute d pot-linings gettin ship out d next dey gettin buried here, all kinda ting yuh hearin.............dem kinda vaguery ent inspiring any confidence in people dat have grave health concerns at all I Livin real close to La Brea ...........I coulda want ah smelter wuk too.................
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:47:26 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
What I am saying should be pretty obvious, but since it is not, let me elaborate.

Since the lessons from the Titanic, ship building has evolved...lessons were learned and people put measures in place...maybe that can be done with the smelter?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
What I am saying should be pretty obvious, but since it is not, let me elaborate.

Since the lessons from the Titanic, ship building has evolved...lessons were learned and people put measures in place...maybe that can be done with the smelter?

the problem is nothing of a such has been articulated, atleast not in a way that gives those of us with serious concerns any cause to rest odder dan dat "smelter in a park" propaganda ting couple of years ago and then countries bigger than we  reject it, in fact, ah tink Manning argument for bringin here was dat we had no stringent environment laws to worry about..........ah mean seriously dat did song like "doh worry we doh mind poisonin d people in d south of d island, alyuh come through"  sheeesh >:(
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>