April 28, 2024, 11:17:32 PM

Author Topic: 47million dollar contract awarded in one day....jack whey yuh?  (Read 10200 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 47million dollar contract awarded in one day....jack whey yuh?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 06:15:03 AM »
since nobody saying it.

Well done PM kamla.

I was reading Jack's statement. Everything was going good until the section with Ishmael. Typical vitriolic Jack.

In any case I think the Prime Minister did the right thing in calling for a halt on the project. What's notable though is clearly the OPM and MOWT are not on the same page. She's given herself extra work dealing with this guy for the next 4.5 years.

Inshan is a fellw that kinda wild, and he is a BIG PP supporter.

He has shown that despite his wildness and bias towards the PNM that he has some measure of integrity.

Jack eh care about nobody.

The reasons he giving for awarding the contracts is a lame excuse.

Kamal did the right thing in shutting it down.

Jack embarrassing trhe PP plenty and is a loose cannon and is the HNIC  (head Nigger in Charge)

Notice in the meeting Kamla held he was absent.

Jack eh care about nobody and this government already walking in the PNM steps as it regards to corruption and the appearance of malfeasance.

And dey doing that in onlt 4  1/2 months....steups

sammy, what more u want again?

;) :devil: i was looking out for a few ppl in particular.....buh say wha.

(my apologies to those ppl who did. It shows some level of balance)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:25:54 AM by sammy »
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »

"I did what was right and anybody who wants to do anything otherwise so be it, I have no problem with that. My conscience is clear and when I approved to fix a culvert on the highway that collapsed and I approve a firm to fix it in two days I did what I think is right," he said.

The difference is fixing the highway is your wok. You supposed to do that.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »

"I did what was right and anybody who wants to do anything otherwise so be it, I have no problem with that. My conscience is clear and when I approved to fix a culvert on the highway that collapsed and I approve a firm to fix it in two days I did what I think is right," he said.

True, plus no colvurt costing 47 million to fix.

Remember PNM tried to dodge protocols in order to get projects on the way paving the way for "cost over runs" etc
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »
[ ;) :devil: i was looking out for a few ppl in particular.....buh say wha.

Steups sycophant, yuh get ketch with yuh pants down....admit it.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »

Remember PNM tried to dodge protocols in order to get projects on the way paving the way for "cost over runs" etc
Daiz why they gone.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 07:27:52 AM »

if i was a sycophant  i wouldna be condemning the govt or ministers or promises now would i?
(Muslim)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 07:29:47 AM »

Daiz why they gone.

exactly....PP better cut out that crap
(Muslim)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »

Daiz why they gone.

Wrong dey out of power because of Manning.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 07:50:13 AM »

Daiz why they gone.

Manning alone?

who stood up to manning besides rowley (who we know wanted leadership years now) Is the PNM fault they not in power, not manning alone.
(Muslim)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »

if i was a sycophant  i wouldna be condemning the govt or ministers or promises now would i?

Boy the way water more than flour with this bunch even the sycophants like yuhself cyar help but become "objective".... ::)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »

Boy the way water more than flour with this bunch even the sycophants like yuhself cyar help but become "objective".... ::)

yuh putting the cart before the horse.  the objective people voted for "this bunch" because they were the better alternative.  And their performance thus far has been noticeably superior to the last bunch btw.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 10:18:10 AM »

yuh putting the cart before the horse.  the objective people voted for "this bunch" because they were the better alternative.  And their performance thus far has been noticeably superior to the last bunch btw.

Boss, I'm only teasing Sammy......save the lecture for another time....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 10:21:45 AM »

Daiz why they gone.

Manning alone?

who stood up to manning besides rowley (who we know wanted leadership years now) Is the PNM fault they not in power, not manning alone.

Manning alone because if he did give Rowley party d PNM would till b in power. All that talk bout corruption eh mean squat 2 d average joe theyare blind, d masses say Manning have 2 go so they voted him out. These fellas however, affecting d average man. How much people contract eh get renew since dey come into power?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »

Boss, I'm only teasing Sammy......save the lecture for another time....

no lecture intended

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 11:33:36 AM »

Care to clarify?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »

Care to clarify?

well that's the way I feel overall.  off the top of my head I could give my opinion on a few major developments as examples.

let's take the topic of the current thread for one example:  media vigilance leads to early detection of an act of corruption.  The Prime Minister acts promptly to reprimand the official involved and reverses the effect of the corrupt action.  Contrast that to the response of the last PM to overwhelming evidence of corruption.

another example of PP mistake: the laptops.  The laptops are a bad idea.  Bad value for money.  Terrible value for money if you will.  But you know what?  they campaigned on that and the population knew it was part of the platform.  They won the election and went ahead with it.  They said it was going to cost $83 million and it cost $83 million.  To channel Randy Moss, I could ask the question "What's $83 million to Patrick Manning?"

I don't see any good reason that the AG had to wait so long to send Ish and Steve to the States but I don't see how the last administration let Calder Hart go to the States.  So that's a tie.

Management of the crime situation is also a tie thus far.

Long overdue local government election held.  I score that as a point for the PP.

Giving TTFF a blank cheque is rubbish.  I'll put that one as a win in the PNM column.

again, that's just off the top of my head and ultimately just my opinion.  since you asked.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
I don't know why I continue but here I go again. Ammmm exactly how would you stop Calder hart from leaving Trinidad and Tobago. Has he been charged with any crime as yet? Has he faced a court of law? How long now Ish and Steve before the courts? I swear some ppl see what they want to see..JEEZ..!!!

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
Has he been charged with any crime as yet?

that is the problem right there.  or maybe the govt of the time wasn't irresponsible at all in not pursuing that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:46:04 PM by daryn »

AirMan

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 02:49:55 PM »
PM halts $83 Million AATT contract

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yW6SExkYVmY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yW6SExkYVmY</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 08:42:46 AM »

that is the problem right there.  or maybe the govt of the time wasn't irresponsible at all in not pursuing that.

check the new Ish thread and see how better they are. Ramlogan playing all kinda games. You giving props to a team who creating they faults and then cleaning it up. That's like a police committing crimes and then going out and solving it quick quick saying they doing work. SMDH
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 08:46:46 AM »

check the new Ish thread and see how better they are. Ramlogan playing all kinda games. You giving props to a team who creating they faults and then cleaning it up. That's like a police committing crimes and then going out and solving it quick quick saying they doing work. SMDH

like I said: I rate that category as a tie.   

it's just my opinion in any case.

truetrini

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »
There are plenty examples of PNM policing itself...you just chose not to remember or are ignorant of the facts.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2010, 01:27:04 PM »
There are plenty examples of PNM policing itself...you just chose not to remember or are ignorant of the facts.

As a general statement:

I voted for the PP and I have been disappointed.  That is something completely different from saying that I think I made the wrong decision. 

To answer your statement:

I made a claim that the current administration has been noticeably superior to the last.  I was explicitly asked for clarification. 

I used an example of a situation that I thought was egregious that I don't think has been paralleled as yet by the current administration.  If there has been a negative situation thus far in this administration that is without parallel in the previous administration then there's a flaw in my argument.

As a baseline scenario, one would expect most governments to go about most things properly.  If there's a situation in which the PNM acted responsibly you can't just conjecture a counterfactual scenario for the PP and bring it into a comparison of actual performance.  If there is something concrete where the PP have stumbled in a manner that the PNM didn't then I am in error as that puts us in the situation described in the previous paragraph.   

edit: I realise that you were addressing a specific aspect of the argument that I made but, seeing that I probably won't reply in here further, I'll add this here as an attempt to give a slightly more comprehensive reply to the original request for clarification by elan.

Of the big ticket issues/items/policies/ideas of the last govt the two that I particularly liked were GATE and the rapid rail.  GATE was an enhancement of dollar for dollar which itself was a great idea in its time.  Maybe, as someone else on this forum has suggested, the rapid rail as proposed was too extravagant but I think it was a good idea.  In any case it doesn't seem like any govt is going to get it done soon.

As far as the more mundane operations of the government I can't say that I've found much to distinguish one administration from the other thus far.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:06:55 PM by daryn »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
GATE was an enhancement of dollar for dollar which itself was a great idea in its time. 
The mandate was much stronger than Dollar- for-Dollar. As part of the 20/20 strategic plan it was seen as pivotal to achieving the desired target of 60 % national participation in tertiary education. Accordingly, under GATE the state funded 100 % of tuition fees for undergraduate programme and 50 % of postgraduate programmes at the major public (including all campuses of the University of the West Indies) and private institutions in Trinidad and Tobago and the region.

This was a remarkable improvement on the 50 % tuition for about 5000 students at UWI and some more at COSTAATT alone.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:11:54 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Pilots stressed
By NALINEE SEELAL Wednesday, October 13 2010

click on pic to zoom in

Pilots are under stress to land at the Piarco and Crown Point International Airports because of the poor visibility of the runways due to failing and obsolete airfield lighting systems, president of the Air Traffic Controllers Association Ann Marie Plaza-Hosein disclosed yesterday.

Plaza-Hosein said almost on a daily and nightly basis, pilots complain to air traffic controllers at Piarco International Airport in Trinidad and Crown Point in Tobago about the poor visibility of the runways, and despite requests to have the problems rectified by the Airports Authority they persist.

Plaza-Hosein, who is also a senior air traffic controller, said, “From the operational point of view, there are several problems with the operation of the lighting. We often do not have direct control of these lightings at the runway, and therefore we cannot provide the specific requirements of the pilots who at times request we change the intensity, depending on weather conditions.

“Sometimes it becomes critical when an aircraft is on short final (approach to land) and pilots make a request to change the intensity (of the lights) and we are not able to do so at the tower. We have been experiencing this problem for a long, long time now.”

Sometimes the lights are too bright or too dim, and we are not able to do anything quickly and it makes landing difficult for the pilots.”

Plaza-Hosein said there is an urgent need to upgrade the lighting system at both runways in the interest of safety.

She believes the lighting situation should be remedied as quickly as possible.

A Caribbean Airlines pilot, speaking on the condition of anonymity yesterday, said pilots are greatly stressed when approaching to land at the airports.

“The situation at the two runways is critical, and pilots experience extreme distress when landing. If the situation continues to exist pilots will have no choice but to make representation to not only Government, but to the bodies which could instruct the Airports Authority to have the problem rectified immediately,” said the pilot.

When the weather conditions are bad, coupled with the poor lighting, especially at Crown Point, it makes visibility in terms of landing very difficult and air traffic controllers are called out to assist in any way they can, he said. See Page 13

The pilot said pilots felt some relief when contracts were awarded to upgrade the lighting systems, but with the ongoing controversy and the absence of a board at the Airports Authority, he feels the situation will worsen and Trinidad and Tobago will fail to meet certain safety requirements as stipulated by the Federal Aviation Authority in the United States.

Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner approved two contracts worth $83 million for the upgrade of the approach lighting systems at Piarco and Crown Point airports although a board of the Airports Authority had not yet been appointed.

Warner said he felt the situation was critical and, in accordance with the Constitution’s rules governing the role of a minister, he signed off on the contracts. However, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar overturned his decision and said the contracts will be re-tendered in the interest of transparency.

Newsday exclusively reported yesterday the findings of an evaluation complied by Airports Authority general manager Louis Frederick and senior managers on the conditions of the lighting systems at Piarco and Crown Point detailing occasions in 2009 and this year when services at the airports were disrupted because the lights failed. They said the lighting technology in use was obsolete and noted that the upgrades were mandatory in keeping with international safety standards.

Director general of the TT Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Ramesh Lutchmedial yesterday maintained his support of Warner’s decision confirming that the upgrades were critical for the safety of lives and aircraft.

Newsday understands that CAA conducts annual certifications and inspections at the runways of Piarco and Crown Point.

The CAA’s certification is accepted by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), and the Airports Authority adopts the specifications and standards of the Federal Aviation Authority in the United States.Lutchmedial said the CAA inspected both runways three months ago and determined that it was necessary to have the lighting systems changed with immediate effect.

He said this is contained in a report compiled by the CAA.

“The lighting system is about 30 years old and obsolete. There are no spare parts for it and therefore it is important for it to be upgraded immediately, and this is why I supported Minister Warner in the award of the contracts for the upgrade of the lighting systems in the absence of a board because it has safety implications,” Lutchmedial said. “The pilots use the lights for guidance for landing in the night and you do not want in the final landing stage of an aircraft for the lighting to fail, and this is something which could happen any day now.”

Lutchmedial said, as a former board member of the Airports Authority, he was in agreement with the decision to have the lighting systems upgraded and was anxious to have that done any day now. Ashworth Jack, leader of the Tobago Organisation of the People (TOP), yesterday said he was very concerned about the poor lighting at the runway of the Crown Point airport, and wants the matter addressed urgently.

“I was told that if the situation is not remedied soon we might not be able to have night flights into Tobago. I have also been told that tendering for the lighting system has gone out on three occasions, and I really hope this is not so. I think whatever needs to be done should be done quickly to alleviate what could turn out to be a disaster, especially for the tourism industry which is already suffering.”

He also said an engineer with experience in lighting for airports met him prior to the May 24 general election and informed him that if the lighting system at the Crown Point airport was not replaced, a disaster may occur. Newsday understands the upgrades of the lighting systems was developed based on the need for the Piarco and Crown Point airports to have properly functioning visual aids for navigation as the existing systems continue to malfunction and the Airports Authority continues to have difficulty in obtaining parts.

Pull quote: “The situation at the two runways are critical, and pilots experience extreme distress when landing.”
© newsday.co.tt - www.newsday.co.tt
(Muslim)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 08:50:17 AM »
I stop reading after the second paragraph... "this has been happening for a long, long time"... yet allyuh bawling the need is "urgent"??  So what de f**k allyuh was doing about it all the time?  Is not now the situation pop up.

steups

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »
No Piarco boycott from airlines over runway lights
By Abby Brathwaite

Story Created: Oct 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM ECT

Story Updated: Oct 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM ECT

Flights from at least two international airlines will continue to arrive at Piarco International Airport despite concerns raised recently about inadequate lighting on the runway.

Representatives from Aeropostal and American Airlines told the Express yesterday that their respective airlines had not received any complaints from their pilots about the conditions at the airport in Trinidad. Both airlines do not fly into Tobago.

Last month Minister of Works and Transport Jack Warner approved the award of contracts valued at $83 million to Harry Persad and Sons Ltd and United Engineering Services for installation of runway lighting at the Piarco and Crown Point International airports respectively.

Warner said he approved the contracts even though the Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (AATT) did not have a board because the installation of lights at both airports was a matter that needed to be addressed urgently.

Minnette Velez, American Airlines corporate communications manager for the Caribbean, said yesterday she was unaware of any visibility problems at Piarco International Airport.

In an e-mail response to questions about inadequate lighting at the airport, Velez said:

"We have not had reports of any challenges in Trinidad."

Operations manager at Aeropostal, Nidia Fraser, told the Express that she had not received any complaints from pilots regarding difficulty landing in Trinidad because of problems with the lights on the runway.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/No_Piarco_boycott_from_airlines__over_runway_lights-104916464.html
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:05:04 AM by signal »
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

truetrini

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
allyuh feel if there was a serious problem de FAA in de US woulda allow planes to land dey everyday?

steups

1]; } ?>