April 29, 2024, 10:31:45 PM

Author Topic: Penalty goal gives Jamaica 1-0 win.  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Penalty goal gives Jamaica 1-0 win.
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:55:14 AM »
Penalty goal gives Jamaica 1-0 win.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior footballers put in an encouraging performance but it was not enough to have an effect on Jamaica’s impeccable home record as the “Reggae Boyz” labored to a 1-0 victory at the National Stadium, Kingston on Sunday night.

There was a lot going on in the pre-match build up to the encounter with both teams continuing their keen rivalry and preparing for the Digicel Caribbean Cup. And it turned out that Dane Richards’ 19th minute penalty was all that separated both teams on the night.

It was the visitors who made the brighter start of the two teams as striker Devorn Jorsling almost silenced the home fans inside the first minute when his fierce left footer effort brought the best out of goalkeeper Richard McCallum as he pushed around the left post.

T&T did in fact enjoy the better of the early exchanges with Cornell Glen firing well wide after a good switch over from the left in the 10th minute.

T&T custodian Jan Michael Williams was solid for much of the encounter and did well to parry away an effort in the 12th minute. He also pushed away another effort from Eric Vernan as Jamaica began to assert themselves after going ahead from the penalty spot. That resulted when Marvin Morgan was adjudged to have been brought down by Daneil Cyrus in the 18th minute. Marshall stepped up to hit home on Williams’s left side.

After that, Glen had a powerful header well pushed out by McCallum in the 22nd minute from a Trent Noel corner. And debutant Morgan then sidefooted over bar close to the break as Jamaica tried to stretch their advantage and get their fans back into the match after they went silent for long periods.

Lester Peltier started on the left for T&T but never settled while defender Yohance Marshall made a pleasing debut at the heart of the T&T defense. DC United’s Julius James did not start after recovering from a virus late on the eve of the encounter. He did however enter the match in the second half in place of Cyrus.

T&T again had the better of the exchanges as the match resumed after half time and forced two consecutive corners after Leon’s effort was deflected just wide of the right post following a good combination between Daniel and Jorsling. And the introduction of midfielder Hughtun Hector and Keon Daniel added some added zip to the T&T attack as they went in search of an equalizer.

The workhorse Anthony Wolfe dropped into a more defensive position as the second half progressed. Left back Jovin Jones was one of the positives for T&T with his intelligent play and he had the opportunity to roam up the flank some more in the second half.

On 64 minutes, Glen got possession from Shavar Thimas ball deep in the Jamaica half but opted at squaring for a lurking Jorsling  instead of cutting back and hitting at goal. The eventual cross was collected by the goalie.

T&T kept on pressing and Jamaica also had a goal ruled offside in the 73rd minute when Dever Orgill slotted home and Williams had to do well to prevent Ryan Johnson’s effort from going in soon after.

Marshall also did well to get in the way of Orgill’s close range effort which led to a T&T counter attack as Daniel sent a diagonal ball up field, releasing Glen behind the Jamaican defense but McCallum was quickly off his line to deny the charging forward.

Daniel had a right footer deflected to McCallum in the 87th and Jorsling also had a one time left footed shot go inches wide of the near left post.

In added on time, substitute Jamal Gay had a weak flick on header go straight to McCallum. The T&T players acknowledged the presence of the 60 odd T&T fans in the open stands who seemed far from dismayed with T&T's showing on the evening.

T&T: - Jan-Michael Williams, Yohance Marshall, Jovin Jones, Daneil Cyrus (Julius James 85th), Kern Cupid (Hayden Tinto 78th), Trent Noel, Clyde Leon (capt) (Hughtun Hector 68th), Anthony Wolfe, Lester Peltier (Keon Daniel 46th) Cornell Glen, Devon Jorsling (Jamal Gay 78th).
Boyz score narrow 1-0 win over T&T.
By: Ian Burnett (Jamaica Observer).

Friendly sweep

Jamaica continued their dominance over Trinidad and Tobago with a 1-0 victory in the return leg of the two-match home-and-away series at the National Stadium last evening.

New York Red Bulls striker Dane Richards was the man on target with a 19th-minute penalty, but the margin could have been wider had it not been for Trinidadian goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams, who came to his team's rescue on a number of occasions.

The visitors started the more positive of the teams with striker Devon Jorsling, who scored his team's lone goal in the first leg 1-3 loss at home in August, testing Jamaican goalkeeper Richard McCallum with a long range shot in the first minute of play.

The home team gradually settled into a rhythm, however, and Richards, who has been in immaculate form for his club in the US Major League Soccer, weaved his way past a couple defenders from the right hand side of the field, but after clearing his way to the centre of the penalty area, his weak left-footed shot was gratefully accepted by goalkeeper Williams.

Shortly thereafter, Richards and Eric Vernan used their pace to telling effect on the right to open up the Soca Warriors' defence, but Williams pulled off a brilliant blocking save from point-blank range from the diminutive Vernan.

There was no letting up and the two made amends within minutes when Vernan was clipped by two retreating defenders after he was played through in the penalty box by Stoke City striker Ricardo Fuller, giving Mexican referee Armando Archundia no choice but to point to the penalty spot.

Richards calmly converted, placing the grounder to the left of Williams for his second international goal in front of a sparse crowd.

Though behind, the Soca Warriors continued to launch attacks and McCallum had to be sharp to hold onto a firm header from Daniel Cyrus on the goal line from a left side corner.

Fuller then tricked his way past a few markers on the left of the penalty box before centring for debutant Marvin Marvin, whose shot was blocked.

The hosts were on the rampage and moments later Morgan was the beneficiary of Jamaica's best move all night. Quick on the counter attack from a corner, the ball was spread to mid field then to the left flank before switching to the right where Vernan played a neat ball to Morgan, but the inexperienced player wasted the chance by booting high over the horizontal from inside the penalty box, when he had enough time to control the ball then take his shot.

The visitors had the better of the exchanges in the opening period of the second half, without actually threatening McCallum in the Jamaican goal.

Their best chance came after the Jamaican defenders lapsed and gifted possession of the ball to Cornell Glen, whose cut back from deep inside the area was well anticipated by McCallum, who sprawled to the ground to deny an unmarked Jorsling, who was waiting on the other side to tap home.

As the coaches introduced changes, Trinidad and Tobago clearly benefitted from the introduction of Keon Daniel on the left side of midfield, in place of Lester Peltier at the start of the second half, and similarly, the introduction of Ryan Johnson and Dever Orgill in place of the ineffective Morgan, and Fuller, lifted the Reggae Boyz's play.

Orgill, also on debut, was clearly the most impressive of the lot of debutantes, which included Shaun Francis and Oliver Trail. The St Georges Sports Club striker brought a bundle of energy and commitment, and went close to opening his account on a number of occasions.

He was well placed to slot home a headed pass from Navion Boyd, after Vernan had escaped his marker down the right flank, but a retreating defender got back in the nick of time to block his effort.

Then shortly after he thought he had indeed scored on debut when he rounded Williams to slot home, but by then assistant referee Garnet Page had long raised the flag for an off side call, thus rendering Orgill's celebratory back flicks and summersaults useless.

His endeavour paid off seconds later when he robbed a defender of the ball on the right and fed Johnson, who turned his marker inside the box before rifling a left-footed grounder, which was well saved by Williams.

In-between, McCallumm had to be alert to thwart Jorsling to a through ball, and in time added, Orgill was denied yet again by Williams, after being perfectly set up by Johnson.
Witmore to continue testing players
Jamaica Gleaner Reports.

Having given debut starts to two new players and introduced a couple others in the second half of yesterday's friendly international against Trinidad and Tobago, Theodore Whitmore, the head coach of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz, says he will continue to test new players as he sifts to find the right mix for the regional football championship finals, which will be played next month.

"It is a work in progress, our main aim is the Digicel Caribbean Cup. We have been looking on players and we will continue to do so," Whitmore told the media following the 1-0 win at the National Stadium, as Jamaica continued its dominance over the Soca Warriors.

Dane Richards scored the winner, coolly slotting a penalty past goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams - who dived the right way - in the 19th minute.

One of two newcomers to the team, 24-year-old Columbus Crew midfielder, Shaun Francis, was involved in the lead-up play to the penalty, when he supplied the ball inside, from which Eric Vernan was eventually toppled to earn the goal-making opportunity.

A largely- left-sided player, Francis was more impressive than the other starting debutant, the much-talked-about teen, Marvin Morgan Jr. Both showed a lot of confidence, but their production, especially that of Morgan, never quite matched their self-belief, on the night.

One senior team debutant who probably ensured himself another look-in is the former Titchfield High scoring ace, Dever Orgill, who is at Portland Digicel Premier League outfit, St Georges Sports Club, after doing a stint in the US second-tier competition with Canadian team Vancouver Whitecaps.

Good positioning

Having replaced Morgan at the 55th minute, he showed good movement and positioning to find clear openings and may have had a hat-trick on another day, with a bit of luck. He had what appeared a legitimate goal waved off for offside, after rounding the keeper to convert, and had two shots cleared off the goalline.

The victory was the 17th for the Jamaicans over their Caribbean archrivals, in 34 internationals. Trinidad and Tobago have won seven, while the other 10 ended in draws.

The Jamaicans had to work hard for their latest victory, even though they made by far the bulk of, and better scoring chances.

In truth, the Boyz, without really stamping their authority, were superior in the first half but thoroughly outplayed in the second, as they gave an error-riddled display.

During the second stanza, Whitmore made a number of substitutions as he tried other players. However, they still found it difficult to wrestle free from the stranglehold brought on by Trinidad and Tobago's increased possession, that led to territorial domination.

"Our first half was a better one than the second half. We lost the game a bit when we started to make the changes, but all in all I was satisfied," Whitmore said.

This was actually the second in a two-game series, which saw the Jamaicans putting in a more dominant performance for a 3-1 win in Trinidad and Tobago in August.

With regards to the play last night, however, Whitmore thought otherwise.

Good game

"It was a game we were looking forward to based on the last result and I thought it was a much better game than we played in Trinidad and Tobago," he said.

His opposite number, Russell Latapy, also a midfield genius while representing his country, was relieved with his eastern-Caribbean team's second showing and decried their attempts to score.

"In football you need to outscore your opponents. We missed a few scoring opportunities. By the time we get to the Cup I hope our finishing and our technical play is where we will want it to be."

Despite having the lion's share of possession, they lacked real danger and hardly created clear-cut chances to score. Still, they were so greatly inferior at home that he had enough reason to be buoyant.

"Tonight I was a lot happier than our home game, it was different personnel but it was a better performance," Latapy remarked. "But our real goal is the Digicel Cup and this game was a good tune-up. Based on our performance tonight I really think we are heading in the right direction."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:26:03 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Penalty goal gives Jamaica 1-0 win.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:30:23 AM »
Nice to see some improvement from the side. The young fellas Jones and Cyrus will be around for a very long time. Peltier was a disappointment; I expected him to play better being given an opportunity to play in a big rivalry game but he looked horrible. Peltier is one of those players who needs to be abroad to help define his game bec right now he is incredibly quick but that's all he has to offer, the other skills necessary aren't there.

The midfield was solid but we need to replace one of them with Birchall when the meaningful games come. Shocking that Hector isn't playing abroad; someone needs to sign him because he could be a boss player if he was playing on a higher level more frequently.  Jan M Williams and M Phillips will serve us well in goal for the next few years. We still need to find a LM bec that’s not Daniel's natural position and Pelitier not ready. Cupid was solid at RB but Wolfe Might be better.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 06:42:39 AM »
Nice to see some improvement from the side. The young fellas Jones and Cyrus will be around for a very long time. Peltier was a disappointment; I expected him to play better being given an opportunity to play in a big rivalry game but he looked horrible. Peltier is one of those players who needs to be abroad to help define his game bec right now he is incredibly quick but that's all he has to offer, the other skills necessary aren't there.

The midfield was solid but we need to replace one of them with Birchall when the meaningful games come. Shocking that Hector isn't playing abroad; someone needs to sign him because he could be a boss player if he was playing on a higher level more frequently.  Jan M Williams and M Phillips will serve us well in goal for the next few years. We still need to find a LM bec that’s not Daniel's natural position and Pelitier not ready. Cupid was solid at RB but Wolfe Might be better.

:thumbsup:

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 07:42:10 AM »
I still ent like Wolfe at right back...cast your minds back to USA vs TT.

I ent want to relive them kinda nightmares.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 07:43:39 AM »

ENTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:04 AM »

I find Carlos is the best man to play that position.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:47:15 AM »

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:47:41 AM »

ENTTTTTTT

Cupid is fine for me and Jake Thompson possibly but lastnight Wolfe looked alright. I'd prefer cupid tho, shortman is a baller just need more experience.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »

Peltier  ususlly plays on the right  but hey players have bad games now and again ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 09:23:23 AM »

Maybe, like with Jorsling and Jones, Latas trying to find somebody who would do a similar job as Carlos would so when they join the team  they could slip in easily to the style. Cupid is more devensive minded than Carlos or Wolfe would be.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 10:37:31 AM »

Maybe, like with Jorsling and Jones, Latas trying to find somebody who would do a similar job as Carlos would so when they join the team  they could slip in easily to the style. Cupid is more devensive minded than Carlos or Wolfe would be.

I don't like carlos at right back.  if I remember correct, is him being out of position and therefore putting in out of position tackles, cause at least a couple of goals in central america in the last campaign.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »

I don't like carlos at right back.  if I remember correct, is him being out of position and therefore putting in out of position tackles, cause at least a couple of goals in central america in the last campaign.

I would let do d job DY did in d world cup, I seriously feel he would do a much better job dan Clyde Leon or Theobald, remember he gettin old, cant see him being an effective wing player for to much longer, if at all

with d exception of crossing he is ah ok passer, good with d ball on he feet, and would have d CBs as backup .......but ah really cant see 'im anywhere on d flanks anymore....sorry :(
I pity the fool....

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »

I would let do d job DY did in d world cup, I seriously feel he would do a much better job dan Clyde Leon or Theobald, remember he gettin old, cant see him being an effective wing player for to much longer, if at all

with d exception of crossing he is ah ok passer, good with d ball on he feet, and would have d CBs as backup .......but ah really cant see 'im anywhere on d flanks anymore....sorry :(
Meanwhile, this season, he tearing it up for Ipswich in the top end of the Championship.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »
I glad we didn't win this game, because if we did production would stop and men would think we are ready.

Better performance but we not there yet.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
Good, now scrimmage England again in the HCS and beat them 2-0 kick staring we qualification to Brazil. Hmmm I wonder which WC bracket we will be in this time?  :idea:

Anyone know how to calculate which bracket we may end up in?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »
Meanwhile, this season, he tearing it up for Ipswich in the top end of the Championship.

yes dat might be so NOW, BUT time doh stand still 2010 + 4 and he in he thirties
I pity the fool....

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »
Man this loss is to much to take ...  >:( and it seem we stuck with camps and Warner  ..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »

yes dat might be so NOW, BUT time doh stand still 2010 + 4 and he in he thirties
:rotfl: :rotfl: Qualification is when ? So yuh saying doh pick yuh best players now cause dey go be REEAAAL old in 4 yeards...Irregardless, if they is yuh best players when dey old still... ahhh boy, the ripe ole age of 36 & 38 an tmg....money dry up, gyul dry up....only wifey stickin with yuh, yuh lucky to have ah contract, if yuh healthy.. :D

juss kicksin with yuh lefs

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: Qualification is when ? So yuh saying doh pick yuh best players now cause dey go be REEAAAL old in 4 yeards...Irregardless, if they is yuh best players when dey old still... ahhh boy, the ripe ole age of 36 & 38 an tmg....money dry up, gyul dry up....only wifey stickin with yuh, yuh lucky to have ah contract, if yuh healthy.. :D

juss kicksin with yuh lefs

when I say dat,................ jus doh tink he goh be as effective on d wings as d years pile on dais why ah say middle I jus feel d man is good fit for d "DM" he does get lil vex some times but odder dan dat he does hold he head real good under preasure
I pity the fool....

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »
"Decent" performance TnT..poor result

WE WILL DEAL WITH JAMAICA WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT.. AND BIG STAKES
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
Selection was off in this game but promising performance. We should get better with this team. Just needs a little tweaking

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 08:30:45 PM »
What was the point of having julius james making the trip for 5 mins, i think even ah 20 mins would've been better to see how he woulda impact the game, ah can't see cyrus doing any better than our best center back.these coaches could be real enigmatic @ times yes. 
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 11:57:07 PM »
JC my bro I  do agree wid yuh post. However, dey said JJ had ah virus, so wid dat said I believe RL wud ah start him or give him some decent mins. So give meh idol ah break on dat one. Cuz ah does feel very hurt fuh meh idol wid de amount of abuse poor RL does get here.

My point is dat give de man until de DC. Pull up meh history and you all will see dat I said dat long b 4 de minister did.  JC yuh know we cool eh, but it have some members here like dey doh have ah forkin life or dey do get any purcee. Cuz is every forkin day is ah new thread bout RL. Give de man we love, support and suggestions for improvement and if he fail, we wish him good luck, replace him  and we den  move forward. HIGHLY  BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

AirMan

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »
Jamaica football President (Burrell) say Latapy job safe  :D

"They have really given Jamaica a very hard fight. One thing I can tell you, and I can speak on behalf of the Caribbean Football Union, is that Mr Latapy's job should be safe.

link..http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Latapy_takes_some_positives_from_loss-104749259.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:47:47 AM by AirMan »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 04:07:16 AM »
JC my bro I  do agree wid yuh post. However, dey said JJ had ah virus, so wid dat said I believe RL wud ah start him or give him some decent mins. So give meh idol ah break on dat one. Cuz ah does feel very hurt fuh meh idol wid de amount of abuse poor RL does get here.

My point is dat give de man until de DC. Pull up meh history and you all will see dat I said dat long b 4 de minister did.  JC yuh know we cool eh, but it have some members here like dey doh have ah forkin life or dey do get any purcee. Cuz is every forkin day is ah new thread bout RL. Give de man we love, support and suggestions for improvement and if he fail, we wish him good luck, replace him  and we den  move forward. HIGHLY  BLESSED.
Only BC is you dan, i will concede, but if it was ah fussy ah woulda rant and rave! but ah have tuh say though, i eh trust it ah rass! ah don't want tuh miss another gold cup, ah hope yuh right.      highly blessed.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 04:14:15 AM »
Latas: T&T heading in right direction.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Soca Warriors coach Russell Latapy said the team is heading in the right direction despite a 1-0 loss to Jamaica Reggae Boyz in its friendly international at the National Stadium, Kingston, Jamaica on Sunday night.

The victory was the 17th for the Jamaicans over T&T in 34 internationals. The Soca Warriors have won seven with the ten other matches ending in drawn results.

Speaking after the match, Latapy said: “I was a lot happier with tonight’s (Sunday) game more than when we played in T&T.“It was a different playing personnel but it was also a better performance from us. Our goal is the Digicel Cup and it’s a process.

“Hopefully we can be fine tuned by the time that comes around. On the performance tonight, I’m thinking that we are heading in the right direction.”

“We had some good performances from a couple of the younger players which was pleasing and hopefully we can continue along in this way.“We knew that coming to Jamaica is always difficult but I don’t think we were overawed by their home record or home advantage.

“It’s difficult for any visiting team to win over Jamaica at home based on the records and unfortunately we didn’t change that tonight but I thought we had a good go at them and when we meet again possibly in the Digicel Cup, things could turn out differently for us.”

Latapy continued: “In football you always need to score more goals that our opponents.

“We missed a few scoring opportunities and hopefully our fitness, finishing and tactical readiness will be where we want it to be by the time the Digicel Cup comes around.“I would much rather missing the scoring  chances in a game like this than in the Caribbean Cup finals.”

The performance of visiting Soca Warriors was also credited by the Captain Horace Burrell, President of the Jamaican Football Federation.“They have really given Jamaica a very hard fight.

One thing I can tell you and I can speak on behalf of the Caribbean Football Union is that Latapy’s job should be safe,” Burrell said as he referred to comments made by Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs Anil Roberts who threw out a couple challenges to Latapy last month.

“Based on the performance here today (Sunday) I am sure everyone in this audience will agree with me that T&T team did put up a sterling performance and congratulations for that,” Burrell said in the post game media conference.

The lone goal in the match came off the boot of New York Red Bulls striker, Dane Richards from the penalty-spot in the 19th minute.

However, it was the Soca Warriors seeking to avenge a 3-1 home defeat in mid-August who made the brighter start of the two teams with striker Devon Jorsling fierce left footed from 35-yards forcing goalkeeper Richard Mc Callum into a save diving to his right inside the first two minutes of the match.

Strike partner Cornell Glen also had an effort on goal in the tenth minute.At the end of the field, T&T custodian Jan-Michael Williams was called into action two minutes to fist away a left footed spanking shot from winger Eric Vernan as Jamaica began to assert themselves.

Seven minutes later, Jamaica went ahead from the penalty-spot when Mexican referee Armando Archundia, who officiated the 2010 World Cup third place match between Germany and Uruguay, adjudged Marvin Morgan was tripped over in the 18-yard box by defender Daniel Cyrus, who started in central defence with debutant Yohance Marshall.

Richards, who had netted in the 3-1 win in Port-of-Spain then stepped to beat Williams low to his left to give the hosts the lead.
Latapy takes some positives from loss.
T&T Express Reports.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Russell Latapy would have preferred a winner in Kingston but was not overly disappointed with the showing from the"Soca Warriors" in Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Jamaica at the National Stadium.

The performance of the visitors was also credited by Captain Horace Burrell, president of the Jamaica Football Federation.

"They have really given Jamaica a very hard fight. One thing I can tell you, and I can speak on behalf of the Caribbean Football Union, is that Mr Latapy's job should be safe.

"Minister (Anil) Roberts only recently threw out a couple challenges but based on the performance here today I am sure everyone in this audience will agree with me that the Trinidad and Tobago team did put up a sterling performance and congratulations for that," Burrell said in the post-game media conference. 

"I want to congratulate Mr Latapy and his team for giving us a good run tonight. It's certainly one of the better performances I have seen from a Trinidad team in recent time, particularly against Jamaica," Burrell added.

Latapy thought his team improved on their previous showing against the"Reggae Boyz", which they lost 3-1 at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya last month.

"I was a lot happier with tonight's game, more than when we played in Trinidad. It was a different playing personnel tonight but it was also a better performance from us. Our goal is the Digicel Cup and it's a process.

Hopefully, we can be fine-tuned by the time that comes around. On the performance tonight, I'm thinking that we are heading in the right direction," Latapy told Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) media officer Shaun Fuentes.

"We had some good performances from a couple of the younger players which was pleasing and hopefully we can continue along in this way. We knew that coming to Jamaica is always difficult but I don't think we were overawed by their home record or home advantage.

"It's difficult for any visiting team to win  over Jamaica at home based on the records and unfortunately we didn't change that tonight, but I thought we had a good go at them and when we meet again, possibly in the Digicel Cup, things could turn out differently for us."

Latapy continued,"In football you always need to score more goals than your opponents. We missed a few scoring opportunities and hopefully our fitness, finishing  and tactical readiness will be where we want it to be by the time the Digicel Cup comes around.

"I would much rather miss the scoring  chances in a game like this than in the Caribbean Cup finals."

"It was  really a good game," said Jamaica coach Theodore Whitmore.

"The Trinidad team gave a much better performance from them than when we played in Trinidad and we are thankful for that.

"We are also focusing on the Digicel Cup because we want to go  on from winning that and into the Gold Cup.

"We are continuing to look at players and preparing the team for the defence of the regional title."

The T&T team were scheduled to return home last night and resume preparations for the Digicel Cup preliminary group stage, which begins in Trinidad on November 2 against Haiti and two other teams yet to be determined.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:23:57 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>