April 27, 2024, 05:54:30 PM

Author Topic: Board question....At what age did you start playing ball in TNT competitively?  (Read 6375 times)

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
And did your primary school have a team? Does any Primary school in TNT play football? Is there a league like SSFL?
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
And did your primary school have a team? Does any Primary school in TNT play football? Is there a league like SSFL?

Yes, there is the National Primary Schools Football League, currently sponsored by Atlantic LNG. There is also the Tobago Primary School Football League sponsored by Milo.

You can read the news here: http://www.socawarriors.net/league/psfl.html
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ok cool Tallman..thanks. The primary schools I went to, Scarborough Methodist and Eastern Boys, didn't seem to know anything about football. 

Eastern boys had Cricket and Track. Never knew about primary school football, thought it didn't exist. Was wondering if that is why our national players seem to be technically deficient.

Played football at home though, little neighbourhood "leagues/games". Lived in Diamond Vale and that place has 'nuff fields, so it used to be street against street (growing up in D'Vale was great!). To this day don't know who organized these. Passed through there the other day, on a glorious Saturday afternoon and not a soul was kicking a lime seed even on any one of the 5 football fields.

Where all dem people gone? And dey eh making children? Where dem? How come the youth eh playing football like they use to? Or I missing something?

Dumplingdinho

start playing for my school in std 3, played for coffee boys, st margarets and sando boys gov't....yeah i went plenty primary schools.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ok cool Tallman..thanks. The primary schools I went to, Scarborough Methodist and Eastern Boys, didn't seem to know anything about football. 

Eastern boys had Cricket and Track. Never knew about primary school football, thought it didn't exist. Was wondering if that is why our national players seem to be technically deficient.

Played football at home though, little neighbourhood "leagues/games". Lived in Diamond Vale and that place has 'nuff fields, so it used to be street against street (growing up in D'Vale was great!). To this day don't know who organized these. Passed through there the other day, on a glorious Saturday afternoon and not a soul was kicking a lime seed even on any one of the 5 football fields.

Where all dem people gone? And dey eh making children? Where dem? How come the youth eh playing football like they use to? Or I missing something?

Seems like longtime had more football peong... nowadays is one set ah badman thing going on, no time for football.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile

You must have been in Aleong class (Eastern Boys), is why you didn't know they had Primary School Football at Eastern. LOL... I think I went Eastern slightly before you and remember going to the Savannah to see Eastern play Nelson St.

But seriously, even down Carenage, I doh see men playing ball everyday like we used to when I was growing up. I started in them small goal leagues in Carenage, then to U14 at CIC.
Toujour Pret!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
My primary school did not have a football team...I played cricket and rep in table tennis for my primary school  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
St. Joseph boys RC.  No football. Our thing was sprinting.  Turned out a lot of good sprinters.  Sprinting was my blessing, football i liked. :)  Went to San Juan Gov't Sec. played ball a lot there even though it was not competitive.  That court yard created great players.  The Bennet boys came out of San Juan Gov't.  But the school..killed PE in form 3.  No more organized ball in school.  That killed my development because we were doing some crazy stuff in form 3.... Then I went to Gustine and played with Jerron and them.  Had enough natural ability but never came across a single coach that even mentioned technical development prior to Gustine.  Most systems I pasted through treated players as if all are born and none are developed.  Is either you had it our you didn't.  It's a revolving system of waste.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You must have been in Aleong class (Eastern Boys), is why you didn't know they had Primary School Football at Eastern. LOL... I think I went Eastern slightly before you and remember going to the Savannah to see Eastern play Nelson St.

But seriously, even down Carenage, I doh see men playing ball everyday like we used to when I was growing up. I started in them small goal leagues in Carenage, then to U14 at CIC.

!!???

You went Eastern Slates!!?? LOL....After all these years is now I finding out that on Socawarriors.net, look kicks. Me and Chucky went Eastern Boys can you believe that? You cyar be older than me dread weyssssss....

I geh licks in Ayoung class like everybody else, is he yuh talking 'bout? Dah man beat the whole class ah time over some vocabulary yes. He was dread boy. Steady terrororising people children with that guava whip wrap in black tape in the cupboard with the creaking door. These days that is child abuse yes. Back then it was discipline.

I never know 'bout football in Primary School, only Cricket and wildness.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
St. Joseph boys RC.  No football. Our thing was sprinting.  Turned out a lot of good sprinters.  Sprinting was my blessing, football i liked. :)  Went to San Juan Gov't Sec. played ball a lot there even though it was not competitive.  That court yard created great players.  The Bennet boys came out of San Juan Gov't.  But the school..killed PE in form 3.  No more organized ball in school.  That killed my development because we were doing some crazy stuff in form 3.... Then I went to Gustine and played with Jerron and them.  Had enough natural ability but never came across a single coach that even mentioned technical development prior to Gustine.  Most systems I pasted through treated players as if all are born and none are developed.  Is either you had it our you didn't.  It's a revolving system of waste.

That is what I trying to get at. Beginning to wonder if we starting ball generally too late which is why we so technically deficient. I mean, it looks like to me that serious ball doh start until form 3 or so. What age is that, 12 and up? That's too late. Especially now since it looks like recreational ball doh play so much anymore.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

That was Giants right? Thats when I start to take football seriously...sorta.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

That is what I trying to get at. Beginning to wonder if we starting ball generally too late which is why we so technically deficient. I mean, it looks like to me that serious ball doh start until form 3 or so. What age is that, 12 and up? That's too late. Especially now since it looks like recreational ball doh play so much anymore.

Technical discipline was not emphasized. Personally, I don't recall hearing the word 'technical' no time in de earlies. Ah feel de consequence is youths didn't have technical models to emulate ... my focus was always on skill rather than the rigidity of technique. Then you reach a certain age where yuh start to let speed  and endurance (over?)compensate for technical deficiency.

I disliked a lot of the technical drills and repetition (as they were known then). Just wanted to play. Found some of the stuff boring. Thing is technical mastery breeds confidence to dominate the ball in any circumstance rather than creating the tendency some players have to favour receiving the ball on certain body surfaces rather than others.

Preacher, yuh real preach dey. Sad thing is that many a player conveyed this natural ability myth to their teammates and peers. Who can blame them? It was the received wisdom.

I watch nuff ballers outside of TnT who lack coordination and rhythmic movement and a host of other stuff which we possess in abundance, but who could dominate the ball like robots. The fault lies at the feet of our football culture. 

Socafan, I think "serious" ball started at Colts (U-16) ... and I think this was largely due to physicality and the fact that senior/championship ball lurked around the corner.

While we on this ... could someone speak to the quality of tactical instruction/direction they received (or didn't) during games.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:21:58 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You must be mad!!!!! eastern boys had one of the best football coaches and some of the best players in the whole of EDR. men like paul rudder and his brother micheal (sabba) came out of eastern under coach rudy gordon. to me eastern produced some of the best footballers in the POS region.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You must be mad!!!!! eastern boys had one of the best football coaches and some of the best players in the whole of EDR. men like paul rudder and his brother micheal (sabba) came out of eastern under coach rudy gordon. to me eastern produced some of the best footballers in the POS region.

Just Cool yuh call ah big player name dey....Sabba. Didn't they call Paul Rudder "sabba" as well? His older brother was before my time but I did hear stories of him. I remember going savannah playing under 12 and watching men like sabba, jerry jack, blackboy and marlon morris all playing for St. Francois. Didn't mean to go off on a tangent but Just Cool mentioned a name that brought back lots of memories ;D

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.
Midday League in the quadrangle!!!!

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile

Just Cool yuh call ah big player name dey....Sabba. Didn't they call Paul Rudder "sabba" as well? His older brother was before my time but I did hear stories of him. I remember going savannah playing under 12 and watching men like sabba, jerry jack, blackboy and marlon morris all playing for St. Francois. Didn't mean to go off on a tangent but Just Cool mentioned a name that brought back lots of memories ;D
Eastern definitely had a primary school team for years. I might be going way back but there were two brothers Paul and Dexter Findley, goalkeeper Wayne Josehp. Saba is the older brother of the Rudders. That was my playground for ball back in the days. And YES I WAS IN AYEONG CLASS TOO...WHEW!!! CANE LIKE RAIN :rotfl:
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

ahhh I forgot..good times.

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

wasn't that U-14?

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BM HERE...

Had enough natural ability but never came across a single coach that even mentioned technical development prior to Gustine.  Most systems I pasted through treated players as if all are born and none are developed.  Is either you had it our you didn't.  It's a revolving system of waste.

Massive statement Preacher

I disliked a lot of the technical drills and repetition (as they were known then). Just wanted to play. Found some of the stuff boring.

there we go asylum... how can a " good" youth coach make this not boring ??...  " but ah win de intercol"....

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

wasn't that U-14?
U14 was Giants!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Breds, it eh have an athlete from EDR that i eh know, my contemporaries that is. listen, sabba was one for the national team(micheal) but he didn't pass common entrance so he never went to ah secondary school where he could be discovered, same for jerry jack, he didn't go to high school either so he was out of luck in that respect.

behind the bridge had boss players, fellas like phillip ermist, richard coo from the ophanage (he played with carib peter borough), jerry jack of st francios nationals, of course marlon morris who played on the strike squad, ah yute name junior from gonzales can't remember his last name but he had a brother named earlin, what ah boss player junior was, unfortunately only marlon morris made it to the national team, but the rest could'nt BC they didn't attend high school.

most fellas who didn't pass common entrance didn't have ah prayer of playing for the national team since most national players came through the colleges league, in my time that is.

BTW SM, yrs later they started callin paul rudder sabba, that's only BC his brother was that good, they started callin him small sabba then just plain ole sabba, but sabba was his older brother micheal. paul was on the yute national team, him and one hand teddy mice son, but they never made it to the senior team.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:50:21 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I start at 8 years old......

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eastern boys and Richmond street boys produced the best players in my era. Gally Cummings was a stand out for Richmond street. The captain was the coach for most team with the assistance of the PE teacher. School boys played Mervina league in the morning and Pa somebody in the evening. Sometimes we played in the mad house grounds and  the Poor house grounds as well as the Carenage league. Even The Anglican Church had a Servers league with players like  Russell Texiera , Keith Piggott and yours truly playing against hard back men from the Army representing St Margarets.
 The captain was the coach but men could trap and pass and shoot.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile

Thanks JC, Mr. Gordon, that was the man name, a dougla-looking man. I know them Rudder brothers, might have been same year as Michael.The Principal was Mr. James, Soca Fan, that was Jamesy (from Poly) father. Also, I was in class with Chucky older brother. And I get licks with that friggin whip too. Is Black Beauty he used to call it. Aleong and that noisy Volks Wagon beetle.

But Eastern had a wicked football team.

And even down Carenage, I remember primary schools league with Pt Cumana Government school playing Pt Cumana RC and also Carenage Government school as well as (used to be) Boys Industrial from Diego Martin.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:42:45 AM by slates »
Toujour Pret!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Breds, it eh have an athlete from EDR that i eh know, my contemporaries that is. listen, sabba was one for the national team(micheal) but he didn't pass common entrance so he never went to ah secondary school so he could be discovered, same for jerry jack, he didn't go to high school either so he was out of luck in that respect.

behind the bridge had boss players, fellas like phillip ermist, richard coo from the ophanage (he played with carib peter borough), jerry jack of st francios nationals, of course marlon morris who played on the strike squad, ah yute name junior from gonzales can't remember his last name but he had a brother named earlin what ah boss player, unfortunately only marlon morris made it to the national team, but the rest could'nt BC they didn't attend high school.

most fellas who didn't pass common entrance didn't have ah prayer of playing for the national team since most national players came through the colleges league, in my time that is.

BTW SM, yrs later they started callin paul rudder sabba, that's only BC his brother was that good, they started callin him small sabba then just plain ole sabba, but sabba was his older brother micheal. paul was on the yute national team, him and one hand teddy mice son, but they never made it to the senior team.

Yea when I was growing up I knew Paul Rudder as Sabba, like you said, he inherited it from his brother and Teddy Mice's son name is Sterling Smith, I remember him playing on the youth national team and for QRC. Dem fellas was way older than me though ;D
I always remember the jerry jack and Marlon Morris combination, channel 9 & 14. Dem fellas used to draw big crowds in the savannah.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
start playing for my school in std 3, played for coffee boys, st margarets and sando boys gov't....yeah i went plenty primary schools.

You went to St Margarets lol havent heard that name in years ... Ivan Sampson and Nigel Neverson used to go there as well
I learn ball playing small goal in the road and on a slanted field in Plaisance park probably at around 5 or 6 never went to a camp.
Never really play organised ball till I went to Benedicts in form 1.
In my primary school San Fernando boys RC one class played ball Mr. Joseph class and the other kids didn't really get an opportunity to really play. I think there should have been some form of organised football at the primary school level definitely interclass if that is developed we will see a huge development increase in players.

I had some decent speed .. and good balance my touch wasn't all that ... improved when I started working under Jan Steadman as well as my understanding of the game

If we start development at the primary school level we can get to a lot of kids that might be missed through club level ball ... it sheds a wider net to grab the talented players who dont get a chance at club level with a decent background it helps with development at the giants level
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:13:00 AM by Ngozi »

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima..form one league.

ahhh I forgot..good times.
Yeah boy, men used to pray for lunch time....On another note I started at age 13/14 I believe, with Barataria BallPlayers...Barnie yesss lol

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
When I was in Primary School we used to run a 100 man sweat with a tennis ball in the school parking lot at lunch time, and the pillars on the walls was the goals.. It was only on lucky days so when we get to sweat with a soft mitre/mikasa football or a volleyball...

The key was to come out that sweat without a buss toe or a white man, it dont get no more technical than that.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
When I was in Primary School we used to run a 100 man sweat with a tennis ball in the school parking lot at lunch time, and the pillars on the walls was the goals.. It was only on lucky days so when we get to sweat with a soft mitre/mikasa football or a volleyball...

The key was to come out that sweat without a buss toe or a white man, it dont get no more technical than that.

lol we used to run that in benedicts lol
saddist in benedicts we used to play small goal in class with the desks for the hour lunch and cool out ten mins before class resume .... and we used to play on old field call hogwash where it was 50 a side.

1]; } ?>