April 28, 2024, 12:53:51 AM

Author Topic: Latapy set improbable task.  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Latapy set improbable task.
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:22 AM »
Latapy set improbable task
'Little Magician' faces long odds
By Lasana Liburd (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago national coach Russell Latapy received stark warning of his fallen stock when he took the "Soca Warriors" to Jamaica last weekend for a friendly fixture.

The 42-year-old Latapy, one of the most gifted players ever produced by the Caribbean, is so revered in Jamaica that, 11 years ago, Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Horace Burrell cancelled a game between the regional rivals and refunded fans after learning that "the Little Magician" would not be on the plane from Port of Spain.

Burrell is not as awestruck regarding Latapy's new role.

"Already, we have heard pronouncements by Anil Roberts, Minister of Sport in Trinidad and Tobago," said Burrell, at a pre-game press conference in Jamaica last week Friday, "that if his boys fail to perform creditably against Jamaica heads will roll… I have already told Roberts that he should start rolling heads from today because come Sunday it is a done deal."

Burrell, an affable fellow, may not have meant personal offence. Yet, Latapy cannot be accustomed to being the butt of anyone's joke.

Three weeks ago, Latapy was given a public ultimatum regarding his employment by Roberts–the former radio talk show host who also served as occasional stadium announcer during the player's heyday.

Latapy's salary was leaked to the press, too, in a move arguably designed by either the Sport Ministry or the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) to alienate him from local fans.

In response, Latapy's charges mustered a workmanlike but hardly inspiring 1-0 loss at the National Stadium in Kingston.

There is an inescapable feeling that Latapy is being ushered towards the door.

Sir Elton John, chairman of English club Watford, famously bid farewell to his coaches over a bottle of wine at his home.

The TTFF, steered by the ageless and all-powerful special adviser Jack Warner, tend to prefer public humiliation and are nothing if not creative in such matters.

Yet, their methods of dismissal do not necessarily mean they are wrong to seek a change–if that is indeed the reason behind the humiliation of their most influential employee.

Eighteen months into the job, Latapy has not shored up his position and is short of allies on and off the pitch.

A reluctance to communicate with the public was highlighted by one farcical scenario when Latapy refused to provide the media with names of the 29 players chosen for his first training squad this year.

Latapy claimed, at the start of his term, that the Warriors perform better on foreign turf but showed little inclination to address this incongruity. His first competitive outing was switched from Port of Spain to Bacolet and 15 months elapsed before he led out his team in the twin island republic when not mandated by FIFA to do so.

The national team played just two from ten friendlies at home since Latapy took up the mantle—a 4-1 win over Antigua and 3-1 loss to Jamaica.

In competitive games, Latapy has one win and a draw from seven outings with seven goals scored and 17 conceded and the Warriors slid from a world ranking of 75th to 97th under his watch.

Latapy's relationship with the TTFF was strained throughout his playing career as he either quit or was blacklisted on five occasions, and did not play an entire World Cup campaign since the 1994 qualifiers.

And although Latapy steered clear of the 2006 World Cup bonus dispute, Warner did not offer a ringing endorsement on his appointment.

"You can never have total confidence," said Warner, in April 2009. "(…) We shall take it from match to match and see what happens."

Latapy first requested Trinidad and Tobago's most prestigious coaching position in 2005 with the hope of replacing Bertille St Clair–the TTFF chose Leo Beenhakker instead. But when he did get the job, four years later, he had not completed a coaching course of any kind since 1999.

Latapy completed the UEFA 'A' Diploma in June 2009 but it is well short of the prestigious year-long UEFA Pro Licence course, which is a pre-requisite in Europe's top leagues and requires 240 hours of study.

In contrast, he picked up four coaching certificates in Scotland between March and June in 1999—a Basic Licence; Practical Component; Early Touches; and Goalkeeping certificates—and took ten years to further his education, while his role as assistant coach at Scottish club Falkirk is understood to have included little hands-on work with any of their competitive teams.

Latapy's resume suggests a coach at the start of his learning curve and his knowledge of the local squad yielded little fruit thus far.

In seven 2010 World Cup qualifiers, Latapy could not coax a goal from either Jason Scotland or Kenwyne Jones and eventually dropped the former and benched the latter, while solitary items from Cornell Glen, Carlos Edwards and Collin Samuel was the sum total of his foreign talent.

Samuel, incidentally, came off the bench to score in Latapy's first outing, which was a 3-2 loss to Costa Rica, but has not been recalled since.

There was no place either for gifted 21-year-old Belgium-based midfielder Khaleem Hyland. Hyland's brother, Kwasi, was murdered in the build-up to the Costa Rica qualifier, but Latapy claimed that the tragedy was not the reason he did not play.

Hyland was never selected again.

At the start of the year, Latapy declared that he would utilise local talent and asked T&T Pro League clubs to release their best players for twice weekly sessions–a regular strategy by local national coaches, although one not known to be deployed by any other country with a professional league.

However, crushing defeats to Jamaica (3-1) and Panama (3-0) in August and September, respectively, followed by threats from Warner and Roberts prompted a rethink.

"I think it's a question of having more time to work with them to get them up to a certain standard," Latapy told the Express before he flew to Jamaica. "We weren't getting results… That is what prompted the return to invite some of the foreign players."

Was it an admission that his weekly sessions failed? Or does Trinidad and Tobago lack the talent to compete at present? The truth probably lies in between.

It is not all Latapy's fault. But he has done little thus far to suggest that he has the answer.

After the home defeat to Jamaica, Latapy conceded in the post-game press conference that he was outfoxed.

"Jamaica (are) very organised and gave us a different proposition because they played a 3-5-2 system," said Latapy. "Normally the teams we play use a 4-4-2 and this fits right into the way we play. We have to be able to adjust defensively to any system and we were not able to do that tonight."

Better coaches than Latapy have found it impossible to motivate their players once their own tenures were in question—Sir Alex Ferguson's prior proposed retirement from Manchester United and Sven Goran Eriksson's declared departure date from Lazio led to barren seasons.

It would take an extraordinary improvement to keep Latapy at the helm beyond next month's Digicel Caribbean Cup in Martinique. Warner is not known for sympathy in such affairs.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Yogi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy set improbable task.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
A great player does not necessarily make a great coach. When the "dumbtist" was fired err quit and Latapy put in charge I remember telling a friend that I have my reservations about putting an unproven coach to head the team but anything was better than the "dumbtist". I had to eat those words. Latas making Maturana look like a good coach. It is time he does the honarable thing and admit he was in over his head and resign, Hannibal Najar did it in 2003 why can't he? I fear our country will not qualify for the Digicel finals and by extension another Gold Cup. How did it come to this?  :'(

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »
The poisoned chalice of T&T National Coach.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:21:13 AM »
Very Good article Lasana!!

It makes me laugh when i think that we worried whether or not we will qualify for a caribbean tournament, far less to win it!!

Sorry to say, but firing Maturana was a mistake in my opinion.  The revelation that he has not done any coachin certificates/badges since 1999 is quite an interesting one.

All in all, Latas is a goner come December, he clearly doesnt justify his US$40,000 a month salary

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:26:10 AM »
Sorry to say, but firing Maturana was a mistake in my opinion. 

to me it was a good decision but, replacing him with latas was a mistake.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:43:10 AM »

to me it was a good decision but, replacing him with latas was a mistake.

As Maturana's most ardent supporter would say, CO-SIGN!!  :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:52:49 AM »
the bad move was when they got rid of Wim Rijsbergen. forget all the drama, I feel that man was the best transition from Bennie and by now we would have built solidly on the 06 WC.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 09:02:10 AM »
the bad move was when they got rid of Wim Rijsbergen. forget all the drama, I feel that man was the best transition from Bennie and by now we would have built solidly on the 06 WC.

You brave boy!!!.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »

agreed  :D
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »

Firing St. Clair in 2000 was a mistake
Firing Fevrier in 2003 was a mistake
Firing Rijsbergen in 2007 was a mistake

Firing Maturana in 2009 was necessary
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »

This summary was, PRICELESS!!..... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »

If u check our record against Central American and caribbean teams under Maturana u will be surprised.

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »

If u check our record against Central American and caribbean teams under Maturana u will be surprised.

I know de record. Same way we reach we highest ranking under Porterfield, but ah never like him  :devil:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »

...only because the TTFF with the complicity of Latapy, conspired to undermine the man off the field.  Maturana's performances did little to inspire confidence, agreed... however given the shape of the National program at the time that he took over, in retrospect perhaps it is our expectations that were too high.  Remember, we failed to qualify for the Gold Cup, and lost the Digicel Cup final to Haiti under Wim, and at the time that was counted as achievement.

Most of the criticism of Maturana was silly... especially the nonsense about him not being able to speak English.  Latapy would have been much further along his development as a coach had he spent the last 2 yrs learning under Maturana and taking additional coaching courses.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »

Remember, we failed to qualify for the Gold Cup, and lost the Digicel Cup final to Haiti under Wim, and at the time that was counted as achievement.

Correction. We qualified for the Gold Cup under Wim. We failed to qualify for de Gold Cup under Maturana because we failed to even get out of de first round of de Digicel Cup.

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »

"Jamaica (are) very organised and gave us a different proposition because they played a 3-5-2 system," said Latapy. "Normally the teams we play use a 4-4-2 and this fits right into the way we play. We have to be able to adjust defensively to any system and we were not able to do that tonight."

THIS is what stood out for me... WHOSE job is it to adjust tactics... not the COACH Latas??? And I was NO Maturana fan either, but Andre Samuel is right the man DID get better results than the current Coach... BUT Andre, losses to GRENADA and BERMUDA, nah man, he HAD to go too! Question tho, HOW COME THE DUMBTIST WASN"T GIVEN THE ULTIMATUM TO MAKE THE DIGICEL FINALS OR FACE THE AXE??? Different strokes for different folks Anil? And for the record, Maturana was NOT fired , the man "RESIGNED"  ;D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »
There's an element of the disingenuous in this article.

1. The coaching education gap between 1999 and 2009 is inconsequential. First off, as a benefit of having played at the professional level Latas played at, he received "consideration" to not begin his coaching education at the bottom rung of the ladder. Those courses mentioned from 1999 indicate a player who explored introductory coaching education in his early 30s no doubt with a view to preparing himself for the future. After all, maybe he would decide not to coach. He didn't have to do those courses.

Most importantly, Lasana seems to be suggesting that Latas did not submit to the UEFA B as a predicate to the UEFA A ... having done the UEFA B means Latas would have taken another course in the intervening period. I'm here to suggest Latas did the UEFA B.

2. This idea of the UEFA A as chicken feed (he says "well short") is bollocks. Prior to the Pro Licence what was there?

Only 42 of 53 UEFA nations are part of UEFA's Pro Licence project TODAY. Australia got its first pro licence holder this year. Observed the status of Australian football lately? The # of UEFA Pro Licence holders globally is miniscule.

If Lansana wants to state that the TTFF should establish the UEFA Pro Licence as a minimum requirement for the post of national team coach, he should state that.

My contribution is neither a defence of Latas or a negation of Liburd ... all I'm suggesting is that Lansana ought to have framed this element of his article more constructively.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:42:09 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 09:43:25 AM »

THIS is what stood out for me... WHOSE job is it to adjust tactics... not the COACH Latas??? And I was NO Maturana fan either, but Andre Samuel is right the man DID get better results than the current Coach... BUT Andre, losses to GRENADA and BERMUDA, nah man, he HAD to go too! Question tho, HOW COME THE DUMBTIST WASN"T GIVEN THE ULTIMATUM TO MAKE THE DIGICEL FINALS OR FACE THE AXE??? Different strokes for different folks Anil? And for the record, Maturana was NOT fired , the man "RESIGNED"  ;D

:thumbsdown:

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 09:45:26 AM »
There's an element of the disingenuous in this article.

1. The coaching education gap between 1999 and 2009 is inconsequential. First off, as a benefit of having played at the professional level Latas played at, he received "consideration" to not begin his coaching education at the bottom rung of the ladder. Those courses mentioned from 1999 indicate a player who explored introductory coaching education in his early 30s no doubt with a view to preparing himself for the future. After all, maybe he would decide not to coach. He didn't have to do those courses.

Most importantly, Lasana seems to be suggesting that Latas did not submit to the UEFA B as a predicate to the UEFA A ... having done the UEFA B means Latas would have taken another course in the intervening period. I'm here to suggest Latas did the UEFA B.

2. This idea of the UEFA A as chicken feed (he says "well short") is bollocks. Prior to the Pro Licence what was there?

Only 42 of 53 UEFA nations are part of UEFA's Pro Licence project TODAY. Australia got its first pro licence holder this year. Observed the status of Australian football lately? The # of UEFA Pro Licence holders globally is miniscule.

If Lansana wants to state that the TTFF should establish the UEFA Pro Licence as a minimum requirement for the post of national team coach, he should state that.

My contribution is neither a defence of Latas or a negation of Liburd ... all I'm suggesting is that Lansana ought to have framed this element of his article more constructively.

nice post breds

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »
Correction. We qualified for the Gold Cup under Wim. We failed to qualify for de Gold Cup under Maturana because we failed to even get out of de first round of de Digicel Cup.

Well your memory is sharper than mine in this regard so for now I stand corrected.  However my overall point still stands, Maturana's performance wasn't as terrible as people made it out to be given the totality of the circumstances with which he was tendered.  Public expectations (as represented by the opinions on this board) were perhaps too high in retrospect.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 09:53:17 AM »
Lausana forget to add that it take 2 years to complete the UEFA A.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »

Maturana was being undermined at every turn.  It made no sense for him to continue on in that environment
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »

Maturana was being undermined at every turn.  It made no sense for him to continue on in that environment

we were competing and on our way to dominating the central american opponents, i remember watching tt play against el savador under mats and we were playing a very very impressive short passing game for the first 70 minutes.

we are nowhere close to this level under latas, he undermine the man for the job, latas needs to be asst and if he is, he will undermine that coach, we may need him to distance himself from the program entirely and for him to get work outside and come back 4-8 years from now

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »

that's why he quit....

I know de record. Same way we reach we highest ranking under Porterfield, but ah never like him  :devil:

that pretty much sums up the opinion of 80% of this board, which is unfortunate. People hold him accountable for four games.

People remember Bermuda, but the don't remember the tactical masterclass he pulled in Guatemala, where despite playing over an entire half down to 10, we forced Guatemala to take low percentage shots from outside the area, while we struck intelligently on the counter and had the better scoring chances and should have won.

People remember Chicago and Nashville but forget that November 19, 2008 was the first time ANY Caribbean team beat a USMNT since November 19, 1994.

People remember Grenada but don't remember in that same Digicel Cup (which we did not host) we played Jamaica...and didn't lose to them. In fact he never lost to them.

He never lose to any side that spoke Spanish.

But everyone rejoiced, when he left, because he was a cancer to our football.

Amen.

we were competing and on our way to dominating the central american opponents, i remember watching tt play against el savador under mats and we were playing a very very impressive short passing game for the first 70 minutes.

we are nowhere close to this level under latas, he undermine the man for the job, latas needs to be asst and if he is, he will undermine that coach, we may need him to distance himself from the program entirely and for him to get work outside and come back 4-8 years from now

The first 70 minutes of the El Salvador game you say? People doh remember that, they remember the last 10 minutes only,  if you lucky, you might get one you remember that Dwight Yorke let Stern John take a penalty while we were 2-0 up for some reason.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »
dread doh bring back that stern penalty kick i getting vex thinking about that  >:( bad memories
Youtube Channel

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »
So my take on all this is that when Jack brought Maturana in he lulled the T&T football fraternity into a false sense of comfort and complacency. He knew that by bringing in a name it hides all the logical things that should be done.
What development took place or was taking place after we qualified for Germany? None absolutely none. To develop a program means that money has to be invested. There also has to be a pool of players that are constantly being prepared for national team play and these players must be playing quality opponent both at home and abroad.
It was cheaper to pay Maturana than implement a proper plan. Now knowing that the chances of qualification were slim Latapy was brought in to serve two purposes. One take focus away from what the real issue is and that is lack of development and two, create more division amongst players who were never paid after 06.
Now Latapy being the darling of TNT's football was probably told that he would be the next coach whenever Maturana left and greedily he grabbed that poisoned chalice leaving us where we are today fighting over whether or not the coach is good.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »
Steups!!....fire bun Maturana!!...oh right he gone..... ;D well then....

Fire bun Latapy!!!.... :devil: ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
 :rotfl:
Youtube Channel

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »
Comedy Central.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »

that's why he quit....

that pretty much sums up the opinion of 80% of this board, which is unfortunate. People hold him accountable for four games.

People remember Bermuda, but the don't remember the tactical masterclass he pulled in Guatemala, where despite playing over an entire half down to 10, we forced Guatemala to take low percentage shots from outside the area, while we struck intelligently on the counter and had the better scoring chances and should have won.

People remember Chicago and Nashville but forget that November 19, 2008 was the first time ANY Caribbean team beat a USMNT since November 19, 1994.

People remember Grenada but don't remember in that same Digicel Cup (which we did not host) we played Jamaica...and didn't lose to them. In fact he never lost to them.

He never lose to any side that spoke Spanish.

But everyone rejoiced, when he left, because he was a cancer to our football.

Amen.

The first 70 minutes of the El Salvador game you say? People doh remember that, they remember the last 10 minutes only,  if you lucky, you might get one you remember that Dwight Yorke let Stern John take a penalty while we were 2-0 up for some reason.

excellent post breds :applause: man wanted mats gone but the man did well, it was pure undermining, if he had stayed and was supported we would have qualified for south africa, but no, latas and the crew had other plans.

coaching is killing our football program, once we have a good coach we will qualify every year, mark my words.

i see tt playing better football under mats than under wim, in all fairness, more attractive attacking football where the spanish countries were kept under wraps

1]; } ?>