March 28, 2024, 04:53:23 AM

Author Topic: First objective for Women: Make it to the 'semis'  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
First objective for Women: Make it to the 'semis'
« on: October 21, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
First objective for Women: Make it to the 'semis'
TTFF Media

National Senior Women’s team head coach Jamaal Shabazz will select a final squad on the weekend to contest the Women’s World Cup final round of qualifiers next month in Cancun, Mexico.

Just back from a two-match warm up tour where the T&T team defeated Guatemala 3-2 and drew the second encounter 2-2, Shabazz says the possibilities are there for a strong T&T showing and a likely passage through to the semi-final round.

“We have the ability to advance to the last four and then from there anything can happen with regards to qualification for the World Cup in Germany next year,” Shabazz told TTFF Media on Thursday.

T&T’s first opponent will be Canada on October 29 and current TTFF director of Women’s football and former Canada coach Even Pellerud will meet with Shabazz on the weekend to discuss the team’s preparations for that encounter.  T&T will also meet Mexico on October 31 and Guyana on November 2. The top two teams will advance to the semi-finals with the finalists qualifying for Germany 2011 next June and the third place winner moving on to a playoff with Europe’s fifth place finisher.

“Pellerud knows Canada’s football and he has seen their team play this year and so we will sit down and hold extensive discussions in relation to that match and other relevant matters,” Shabazz said.

Looking back at the two-match tour, he added that despite the difficult circumstances with as much as eight players being unavailable due to illness, the team demonstrated a strong sense of character.

“I think the pressure that we underwent in Guatemala was a blessing because it turned out to be much tougher than we expected with the eight players having to miss the matches. This forced the players to dig deep and we as coaches had to think outside the box. These are all necessary elements required for us to succeed at the Concacaf qualification level.”

“Now that we are back home, we will focus on fine tuning and hopefully leave in time next week to have a couple sessions with the overseas-based players before the Canada match.  We are focusing on a couple particular areas particularly with regards to killing teams off as we should have in the second game against Guatemala. We were two goals ahead and we sat back and allowed them to come back into the game and we almost lost the match near the end. We will not have that luxury in Concacaf where we can squander a two-goal lead and still survive or go on to win a match,” Shabazz added.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: First objective for Women: Make it to the 'semis'
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:35:03 AM »
The Princesses have left for Mexico this morning. Safe flight ladies. Make us all proud !!!!!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
First objective : get rid of the plague which ails our football programs at this level: incompetent coaches.

okokok Revised objective : make the semis in spite of.......

Cream always rises to the top despite.....

p.s. TTFF: please appoint Pellurud to step in at this level and stop the embarrassment
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:35:52 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
First objective : get rid of the plague which ails our football programs at this level: incompetent coaches.

p.s. TTFF: please appoint Pellurud to step in at this level and stop the embarrassment

AB.Trini, you really feel the TTFF have time to listen to you?

Take my silly advice and stop howling into the night!

They will do whatever Jack decides he wants them to do, nothing more & nothing less!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:31:39 PM »
 If we continue to lavish gratuitous  praises to the TTFF and it's omnipotent leader  and we ignore the  tyranny without  pounding on the door, are we subjecting ourselves to  their mercy and  giving them the divine right to continue with these destructive practices?

I am not asking for an audience with the TTFF nor do I harbor any notions of them listening to a mere lone wolf's cry. I am simply  voicing my opinion as I see it.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
If we continue to lavish gratuitous  praises to the TTFF and it's omnipotent leader  and we ignore the  tyranny without  pounding on the door, are we subjecting ourselves to  their mercy and  giving them the divine right to continue with these destructive practices?

I am not asking for an audience with the TTFF nor do I harbor any notions of them listening to a mere lone wolf's cry. I am simply  voicing my opinion as I see it.

easy dey Shakespeare but until the masses are starved and no bread is left only then will they rise up..right now we belly full

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 09:44:49 PM »
HAHAHA :rotfl:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 06:23:30 PM »
So who's going to Cancun to support the Princesses? My better half and I will be  :wavetowel:

Don't forget to pre-register at Concacaf.com to set up your login and password. It's free. Concacaf TV has been good in the past however we all need back up plans , just in case they pull a FIFA.COM  :D

Will Trinidads games be available on local TV ?? CNTV ?

Anyone who has satellite can watch all of Canada's games live on CBC Bold (specialty channel in Ontario canada and or on the main network CBC at midnight and or CBCsports http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/ as they will be live streaming as well.

The good ole US of A generally shows all of the USA games on FOX Sports USA so if any of our USA Forumites has information on the USA broadcasts please let us all know.

Anyone with any other stream possibilties let us all know.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »

You sure that's who you want to take over the women?
...Morace and Canada likely will get their next chance later this month when they head to the eight-nation CONCACAF Women's World Cup Qualifying tournament in Cancun, Mexico.Canada will face host Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago and Costa Rica in Group A before getting another chance at the United States and a fifth straight trip to the Women's World Cup.

Since Morace took over from Norwegian Even Pellerud in February 2009, the team has continued to change.

Morace, who played 153 times for Italy and is probably best known for being the only woman to coach in the Italian men's professional ranks - albeit only two matches -- with Viterbese in the third division, has stressed more possession and passing. Under Pellerud, Canada was known for a very direct, long-ball style.

"Under Even, he'd been in control of us for so long that we all knew the style of play," striker Christine Sinclair said."It was a very simple style of play: get the ball and boot the ball, and Carolina brought in a completely different style, a very European-based soccer.

"We have welcomed it with open arms, and we have all completely bought into it. But it takes some getting used to in terms of we've all just been booting the ball for 10 years, now she wants us to pass the ball, so we're in an adjustment phase."

The contrast between Morace and Pellerud, who has taken over the women's program in Trinidad and Tobago, will get a test in Canada's tournament opener October 29 against the Soca Princesses.

Under Morace, Canada has won eight of 16 matches with two draws. It won the Cyprus Cup in March, drew with Norway in June, won at home and lost away against China and was beaten 5-0 by reigning World Cup champion Germany last month.

Sinclair often was visibly frustrated in Pellerud's system as her teammates struggled to get the ball to her against more skilled, possession-oriented teams.

Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »

You sure that's who you want to take over the women?
...Morace and Canada likely will get their next chance later this month when they head to the eight-nation CONCACAF Women's World Cup Qualifying tournament in Cancun, Mexico.Canada will face host Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago and Costa Rica in Group A before getting another chance at the United States and a fifth straight trip to the Women's World Cup.

Since Morace took over from Norwegian Even Pellerud in February 2009, the team has continued to change.

Morace, who played 153 times for Italy and is probably best known for being the only woman to coach in the Italian men's professional ranks - albeit only two matches -- with Viterbese in the third division, has stressed more possession and passing. Under Pellerud, Canada was known for a very direct, long-ball style.

"Under Even, he'd been in control of us for so long that we all knew the style of play," striker Christine Sinclair said."It was a very simple style of play: get the ball and boot the ball, and Carolina brought in a completely different style, a very European-based soccer.

"We have welcomed it with open arms, and we have all completely bought into it. But it takes some getting used to in terms of we've all just been booting the ball for 10 years, now she wants us to pass the ball, so we're in an adjustment phase."

The contrast between Morace and Pellerud, who has taken over the women's program in Trinidad and Tobago, will get a test in Canada's tournament opener October 29 against the Soca Princesses.

Under Morace, Canada has won eight of 16 matches with two draws. It won the Cyprus Cup in March, drew with Norway in June, won at home and lost away against China and was beaten 5-0 by reigning World Cup champion Germany last month.

Sinclair often was visibly frustrated in Pellerud's system as her teammates struggled to get the ball to her against more skilled, possession-oriented teams.

he better than what we have right now, which is shabazz
Youtube Channel

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
everyone has anti diahorrea medication ? hepatitis shots ??  Cant say that I have any confidence in Shabbazz....but dais just me ...and boom kick Pellurud eh making me feel eny easier ...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
everyone has anti diahorrea medication ? hepatitis shots ??  Cant say that I have any confidence in Shabbazz....but dais just me ...and boom kick Pellurud eh making me feel eny easier ...

well i can say, Since i watching women football in T&T, the best i see a team play is under Pellurud  ;D . First 2 games were awesome, last game they run out of steam lol
Youtube Channel

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »

well i can say, Since i watching women football in T&T, the best i see a team play is under Pellurud  ;D . First 2 games were awesome, last game they run out of steam lol
I cant disagree ..that might be the best they have played ...that is to say how bad we have been ...we were just kicking and running ...I will take my hat off to the trainer ...we were a very athletic team ...but nowhere near the other teams in technical ability ..two years and more with a team and you cant look like if you can string 3 passes together going forward ???
I must call it like I see it ...this is not to deny the effort by the girls ...but the blind leading the blind wont do. Trinidad and tobago was not up to the standard of the other teams and we beat Chile on athletic ability and would probably do so again ....but we were only there because we were host....
I am not impressed by any of the women's coaches and in the case of Shabbaz is 20 years now I saying dat . he might be a better men's coach in my opinion ... women nah !! record speaks for itself

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »
We beat Guatemala 3-2 and Canada beat them 5 nil, so we will have our hands full on friday. But I feel we can pull it off. GO T&T GO.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:05 PM »

I cant disagree ..that might be the best they have played ...that is to say how bad we have been ...we were just kicking and running ...I will take my hat off to the trainer ...we were a very athletic team ...but nowhere near the other teams in technical ability ..two years and more with a team and you cant look like if you can string 3 passes together going forward ???
I must call it like I see it ...this is not to deny the effort by the girls ...but the blind leading the blind wont do. Trinidad and tobago was not up to the standard of the other teams and we beat Chile on athletic ability and would probably do so again ....but we were only there because we were host....
I am not impressed by any of the women's coaches and in the case of Shabbaz is 20 years now I saying dat . he might be a better men's coach in my opinion ... women nah !! record speaks for itself

Jai since Pellurud has left Canada their program has gone backward. And T&T has improved.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »

Jai since Pellurud has left Canada their program has gone backward. And T&T has improved.

With the ball we have not improved. Physically and objective wise (the U-17 learned to play for a win) we have shown some improvement. But to say improvement, it is still to early. I really like that the U-17s were fit.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »
Dont miss the forest for the trees ...these are age group championships ...its like intercol ..you win one year because your players are at the right age . next year  your players graduate ...If another coach comes in he is compared right away to you at your peak .. so they say you  better than him ! Argentina won the world youth cup one year and did not even qualify the next time around ...then they won again...

.I not blaming pellurud for losing ....I doh blame ah coach for dat but I must see some good football if you are to be considered a good coach. How much more time did he need to show a team with a structure ? or with an understanding of how to attack or regroup ?

Was long kick from  any position ...even off balanced ...dem forwards were understandibly tired if all they were doing was chasing shadows ...compare T&T to any of the other teams , including Chile who we beat ..and you will get my point.
Trinidad improved ?? in fitness perhaps ..but they still have not understood the game under pellurud ....girls were clearing everything .....more on athletic than artistic ...and i was not expecting much ..but even that i could not see ....

It is high time we go for type rather than hype ...we will get nowhere if we improve ...but still nowhere near an acceptable level ...do you think we would have been there if we did not host ? and that is purely a football question ..

. we all wanted the team to do well but what I saw was not what I expected ...with the reputation of this coach anyway ... but it is like that ...some do well in one place but not in another ...he may have done well elsewhere but he has not distinguished himself here ...not by a long shot ...and he had time and space ...and you must know in football once you have time and space you must produce !

let me give a short story ...half time in a game a coach asked his forward how many times he tried to score(How many shots you take ?)  .....his answer was none ...de coach den asked ...now tell me why I should send you back out there ? see he had time and space ...if he did not use it then he will not use it ...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »
jai is t&t, we women still developing doh expect much overnight. Women football poor on d whole, some of these girl start kicking ball in secondary school. USA have d best women structure, we have none, lets be realistic. we have improved but we a long way off the football u want to see. We need to start with d primary school sadly most people dont care. Under Pellerud we make a step foward, we aint running yet, doh expect that soon
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:06:33 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »
jai is t&t, we women still developing doh expect much overnight. Women football poor on d whole, some of these girl start kicking ball in secondary school. USA have d best women structure, we have none, lets be realistic. we have improved but we a long way off the football u want to see. We need to start with d primary school sadly most people dont cares.

Exactly , we may not be world beaters but no matter how small we  still have improved. It will take time for us to reach the level of play that Jai hoping for.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 06:12:50 AM »
jai is t&t, we women still developing doh expect much overnight. Women football poor on d whole, some of these girl start kicking ball in secondary school. USA have d best women structure, we have none, lets be realistic. we have improved but we a long way off the football u want to see. We need to start with d primary school sadly most people dont cares.

Exactly , we may not be world beaters but no matter how small we  still have improved. It will take time for us to reach the level of play that Jai hoping for.

I have no problem with this stance ...as long as we see where we are and where we need to be . I am really tired of the hype ...we go beat dis one we go beat dat one ...we reach WC etc. when truth be told circumstances other than football ability have got us there. The thing is we must be true to ourselves lest we start believing our own lies and get no where.
So if we want to succeed we must know where we are and where we need to get to . Our women's programme  like the men's are way behind the countries of the region ...all is not lost however if we set standards and honestly evaluate out progress. 
We have a coach in place in the womens programme for 20 years now ...where is the progress ?? yet we are still forced to listen to his promises !!!
...but is T&T football and we know what that entails ...

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »
CK1 I see you drop some knowledge and not many men take them facts seriously. Pellers should be commended for ensuring that Trini had a fit team with some physical gifts. They competed well and we must recognize and acknowledge this. However, that is where the praise ends. When you have a program for over two years and they can't out together 4 passes consistently that is not saying much. The mere fact that fellas settling for that it really shows the state of football in Trini on the Women's side. We were suppose to beat Chile. Our physical attributes contributed to the victory. Pellers will frustrate those senior women soccer. He did just that with some of the Canadian women. Mention Pellers to Christine St Clair( Canada's top striker) and all hell will break loose. I like pellers he is a good guy. however, do I believe he is the answer for Trini football moving forward? Hell no!
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 08:00:19 AM »
Pellerud style is Eddie Hart's style of the 70's ...kick it long to Colin, Marlon and Wendell .... I am sure there are some forumites who can identify with this ...
No development in that style ...just more direct running . I cant understand how some folks could see continuing with this coach as leading to development of players ???
...I had not read the comments posted by canadian players who played under Pellerud before making my boom kick style statement.
When women's football first started that style might have been effective because of the many mistakes the ladies made, but anyone who saw the level of skill displayed in the last tournament would realise that when you dump it you lose it !
So thanks Mr Pellurud but we want to look like some of th teams whoi were here recently ...we cant see that here and not want it ....
So after a "Starch " we just cant go back to ah" Long " (May all those living abroad who pelt mango in de earlies please explain this to their peeps !)  :beermug:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »

Pellerud left Canada two years ago. You can only make such a statement, if Canada fails to qualify for the Women's WC or Olympics. Simply because these are the teams he coached in Canada. So lets wait for the qualification
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »

Pellerud left Canada two years ago. You can only make such a statement, if Canada fails to qualify for the Women's WC or Olympics. Simply because these are the teams he coached in Canada. So lets wait for the qualification

quite honestly though.. I've seen the ladies play a few times since and I must say that they looked hopeless on a few occasions. The organization just wasn't there and the same can be said about a game plan when going forward. But it could be said that they were trying a number of new players who were not in the mix before.

Canada (I would think) have some depth when compared to some of the other countries in the region, so qualifying alone should not be the measuring stick. what they do if/when they qualify will say a thing or 2 about the new peeps in charge.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »

quite honestly though.. I've seen the ladies play a few times since and I must say that they looked hopeless on a few occasions. The organization just wasn't there and the same can be said about a game plan when going forward. But it could be said that they were trying a number of new players who were not in the mix before.

Canada (I would think) have some depth when compared to some of the other countries in the region, so qualifying alone should not be the measuring stick. what they do if/when they qualify will say a thing or 2 about the new peeps in charge.

Well they were not a constructive team under Pellerud. Destructive comes to mind. They have recently beaten Poland, Russia, New Zealand, England, Swiss and China. tied USA and lost to Germany, but who has not. But they still have to qualify.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 11:03:28 AM »
alyuh Pellerud is not the coach eh. I seeing he name pelting all over like Shabazz lose he job.
Youtube Channel

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »
Well said Jai John
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »
Good luck tonight ladies as my wife and I will be front and centre cheering you all on at the stadium !!!!!

Cheers   19

1]; } ?>