March 29, 2024, 08:20:47 AM

Author Topic: Do American Catholics agree with church official position?  (Read 5172 times)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Do American Catholics agree with church official position?
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:07:47 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69M18F20101023?pageNumber=2
Vatican Mideast synod ends with criticism of Israel

Credit: Reuters/Osservatore Romano

By Philip Pullella

VATICAN CITY | Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:42am EDT

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Israel cannot use the Biblical concept of a promised land or a chosen people to justify new settlements in Jerusalem or territorial claims, a Vatican synod on the Middle East said on Saturday.

In its concluding message after two weeks of meetings, the synod of bishops from the Middle East also said it hoped a two-state solution for peace between Israel and the Palestinians could be lifted from dream to reality and called for peaceful conditions that would stop a Christian exodus from the region.

"We have meditated on the situation of the holy city of Jerusalem. We are anxious about the unilateral initiatives that threaten its composition and risk to change its demographic balance," the message said.

U.S.-brokered peace talks have stalled since Israel rejected appeals to extend a temporary moratorium on settlement construction in the occupied West Bank that expired last month.

Since the freeze expired, Israel has announced plans to build another 238 homes in two East Jerusalem neighborhoods, drawing the condemnation of Palestinians and world leaders.

In a separate part of the document -- a section on cooperation with Jews -- the synod fathers also took issue with Jews who use the Bible to justify settlements in the West Bank, which Israel captured in 1967.

"Recourse to theological and biblical positions which use the Word of God to wrongly justify injustices is not acceptable," the document said.

Many Jewish settlers and right-wing Israelis claim a biblical birthright to the occupied West Bank, which they call Judea and Samaria and regard as a part of historical, ancient Israel given to the Jews by God.

"THERE IS NO LONGER A CHOSEN PEOPLE"

Asked about the passage at a news conference, Greek-Melchite Archbishop Cyrille Salim Bustros, said:

"We Christians cannot speak about the promised land for the Jewish people. There is no longer a chosen people. All men and women of all countries have become the chosen people.

"The concept of the promised land cannot be used as a base for the justification of the return of Jews to Israel and the displacement of Palestinians," he added. "The justification of Israel's occupation of the land of Palestine cannot be based on sacred scriptures."

The synod's concluding message repeated a Vatican call for Jerusalem to have a special status "which respects its particular character" as a city sacred to the three great monotheistic religions -- Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Jerusalem remains a key issue of dispute. Palestinians want East Jerusalem for capital of a future state. Israel has annexed the area, a move never recognized internationally, and has declared Jerusalem to be its "united and eternal" capital.

Israel did not include East Jerusalem as part of its 10-month building freeze, though most plans there were put on hold in March, when the U.S. protested reports of a new housing project leaked during a visit by Vice President Joe Biden.

While recognizing "the suffering and insecurity in which Israelis live" and the need for Israel to enjoy peace within internationally recognized borders, the document was much more expansive and detailed on the situation of Palestinians.

It said Palestinians "are suffering the consequences of the Israeli occupation: the lack of freedom of movement, the wall of separation and the military checkpoints, the political prisoners, the demolition of homes, the disturbance of socio-economic life and the thousands of refugees."

It urged Christians in the region not to sell their homes and properties. "It is a vital aspect of the lives of those who remain there and for those who one day will return there."

It condemned terrorism "from wherever it may proceed" as well as anti-Semitism, Islamophobia and discrimination against Christians.

(Additional reporting by Allyn Fisher-Ilan in Jerusalem; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Do American Catholics agree with church official position?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »
I didn't need the Vatican to tell me this.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 11:26:33 AM »
What is de Vatican position of bulling little children?

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »

Another thread hijacked............ :frustrated:

They are on point with regard to the justification (or lack thereof) for the new settlements. Like everything else there is plenty politics there, where i assume that the other concerns are the "christian exodus from the region" and the unwillingness to give Israel a free hand which would possibly reduce the vatican's power in the Jerusalem.

Would be interesting to see other people's thoughts on the matter.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:29:46 PM »

They are on point with regard to the justification (or lack thereof) for the new settlements. Like everything else there is plenty politics there, where i assume that the other concerns are the "christian exodus from the region" and the unwillingness to give Israel a free hand which would possibly reduce the vatican's power in the Jerusalem.

It is not a hijack of the thread....in fact that is what they should hold a syanod and discuss not Jerusalem!

As a MATTER of fact accroding to christian dogma, Jesus will return only after Jerusalem is in the hands of the Jews, and off course they DO remain the chosen people as according to the sacred text..BIBLE.....a remnant of the Jews will be saved..something like 12,000 will be saved.  Like the Catholics eh know dat or what?

Besides God does not changhe according to the same Bible and His word   will NOT return to Him void but it will accomplish the purpose for which it was sent..Isiah 55:11

So if God says them is chosen den them is chosen

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »

It is not a hijack of the thread....in fact that is what they should hold a syanod and discuss not Jerusalem!

As a MATTER of fact accroding to christian dogma, Jesus will return only after Jerusalem is in the hands of the Jews, and off course they DO remain the chosen people as according to the sacred text..BIBLE.....a remnant of the Jews will be saved..something like 12,000 will be saved.  Like the Catholics eh know dat or what?

Besides God does not changhe according to the same Bible and His word   will NOT return to Him void but it will accomplish the purpose for which it was sent..Isiah 55:11

So if God says them is chosen den them is chosen

Offline makaveli

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
'I don't understand your optimism. Why should the Arabs make peace? If I were an Arab leader I would never make terms with Israel. That is natural: we have taken their country. Sure, God promised it to us, but what does that matter to them? Our God is not theirs. We come from Israel, it's true, but two thousand years ago, and what is that to them? There has been antisemitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing: we have come here and stolen their country. Why should they accept that? They may perhaps forget in one or two generations' time, but for the moment there is no chance. So, it's simple: we have to stay strong and maintain a powerful army. Our whole policy is there. Otherwise the Arabs will wipe us out.' - David Ben-Gurion, Former Israeli Prime Minister.

That quote basically sums up the entire Israeli/ Palestine conflict- Both sides think God is on their side and well I can tell you from personal experience, when you think God is on your side, there isn't much anyone or any group of people can say to prevent you from carrying out your goals.

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:25:23 PM »
First of all, I don't beleive in GodZ!  Man made up God to expl;ain what they demselves could not understand in early history.

I was making the point that the Catholics talking a pile ah shit!  The Bible says they are chosen people of God, and that unless Israel not in control of Jerusalem den Jesus eh coming back.

I could care less about what the Israelis and Palestinians think about their God (s).

Is all bullshit and dey killing each other over a fable.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »
fables is right
Youtube Channel

Offline Conquering Lion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
First of all, I don't beleive in GodZ!  Man made up God to expl;ain what they demselves could not understand in early history.

I was making the point that the Catholics talking a pile ah shit!  The Bible says they are chosen people of God, and that unless Israel not in control of Jerusalem den Jesus eh coming back.

I could care less about what the Israelis and Palestinians think about their God (s).

Man relax nah.....we get it. Yuh doh believe in Godz or religion..........how long yuh go play dat roadmarch?

Look two beers :beermug: :beermug:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »

Man relax nah.....we get it. Yuh doh believe in Godz or religion..........how long yuh go play dat roadmarch?

Look two beers :beermug: :beermug:

fella I was responding to a question posed by Makevali...so doh tell me relax I very well relaxed...but thanks for de beers, ah go drink as you wine to de roadmarch
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:43:23 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »

How de ass you go tell them what to discuss... is only one thing at a time they could discuss?  Conquering Lion right, another thread hijacked.

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »

How de ass you go tell them what to discuss... is only one thing at a time they could discuss?  Conquering Lion right, another thread hijacked.

It was a recommendation

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 04:50:46 PM »
It was a recommendation

Did you pay attention to the fact that this was a synod of Bishops from the Middle East?  Obviously this issue is of greater resonance to them than the largely Irish and American pedophilia scandals.

truetrini

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
It was a recommendation

Did you pay attention to the fact that this was a synod of Bishops from the Middle East?  Obviously this issue is of greater resonance to them than the largely Irish and American pedophilia scandals.

truthfully?  Nope lol

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »
ah find one of de biggest oxymorons in western political culture is when someone talks about "judeo-christian values". de jews and christians disagree about a central tenet of christianity - that Jesus is de son of God. so dese "judeo-christian values" saying this just a detail, doh study it, it unimportant. and christians taking de chain up and continue underwriting whatever israel does in de middle east.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
truthfully?  Nope lol

Yuh ent see you like shit, lol

ah find one of de biggest oxymorons in western political culture is when someone talks about "judeo-christian values". de jews and christians disagree about a central tenet of christianity - that Jesus is de son of God. so dese "judeo-christian values" saying this just a detail, doh study it, it unimportant. and christians taking de chain up and continue underwriting whatever israel does in de middle east.

Jews and Christians disagree on theology where Christ as deity is concerned.  Jesus was a rabbi, descended from a long line of religious leaders (Levites).  His teachings were followed by a large number of Jews, and parallels much of what is in the OT.  Judeo-Christian values are derived from this common source... not from the NT.  They doh teach dat in Canada or what?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:17 PM »
to unhijack the thread, I really trying to figure it out, so I looking for help to understand.  because to me this is the biggest problem in the world today - this is the root of nearly all terrorism today.  The vetoing on this issue in the UN is why it has zero credibility.
If I checking the figures,
http://www.rightsidenews.com/2010101511882/editorial/world-opinion-and-editorial/obama-and-the-us-israel-alliance.html
and I see the numbers quoted elsewhere: nearly 94% of Americans think that America should be concerned with Israel's security, and 77% of americans think that palestinians should recognize Israel as a JEWISH state.  A quarter of americans are catholics.  the math not adding up.  republicans, democrats everybody...what is responsible for Americans not framing this situation like the original post? what is causing this? anybody know why?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 09:38:52 PM »
low IQ ;)
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 05:08:46 AM »
to unhijack the thread, I really trying to figure it out, so I looking for help to understand.  because to me this is the biggest problem in the world today - this is the root of nearly all terrorism today.  The vetoing on this issue in the UN is why it has zero credibility.
http://www.rightsidenews.com/2010101511882/editorial/world-opinion-and-editorial/obama-and-the-us-israel-alliance.html
and I see the numbers quoted elsewhere: nearly 94% of Americans think that America should be concerned with Israel's security, and 77% of americans think that palestinians should recognize Israel as a JEWISH state.  A quarter of americans are catholics.  the math not adding up.  republicans, democrats everybody...what is responsible for Americans not framing this situation like the original post? what is causing this? anybody know why?

Media coverage of the issue.  Long ago peoplelike Hearst and Pulitizer earned to manipulate public sentiment throught the press...WWI, Spanish AMerican war etc.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »

I'm not sure what yuh asking.  Are you asking why Americans support Israel?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 09:33:49 AM »

I'm not sure what yuh asking.  Are you asking why Americans support Israel?
mostly why Americans think that jews have a RiGHGT to the land that israel is on right now, then what you said - why do they support israel and everythig that goes with that.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 09:45:58 AM »
mostly why Americans think that jews have a RiGHGT to the land that israel is on right now, then what you said - why do they support israel and everythig that goes with that.

Whether agree with them or not, these are the main reasons why Americans support Israel:

-Shared Judeo-Christian heritage
- Guilt for not acting sooner during the Holocaust
- Strong ally in the Middle East
- Strong Jewish lobby in the US
- Overall strong jewish influence in the US; as a lobby they have a lot of money

Why Americans think Jews have a right to the disputed lands?

I don't think a majority of Americans think that Jews have a 'right' to the lands, but rather that they have a right to live there in tandem with the Palestinians.  Both groups have significant historica ties to the disputed areas, Jews were driven out following the Islamic rout of Jerusalem, the city was briefly taken away by the Crusaders before muslims regained it, and it wasn't until the 20th century that Jews returned there in any significant numbers.  But what of the intervening years?  Muslim... Palestinians have been living there for centuries.  Arguably they have a stronger argument for ownership of the area seeing they've been there continuously for over 500 yrs, but the time for that argument has passed.  Jews have been there for the past 60 yrs and you can't just sweep those six decades under a rug and undo what was done following WWII.

The easy answer... the most practical, the right answer is for them to share the territory.  How they go about doing so is another matter.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
Good info....I remember chatting with a Palestinian cab driver, and it was interesting to hear things from the Palestinian perspective ad some of the history of the region.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
Neither side is Original to that area of the world. So they must fight. They as original as the "current" people that occupy Egypt that calling themselves Egyptians.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »
Neither side is Original to that area of the world. So they must fight. They as original as the "current" people that occupy Egypt that calling themselves Egyptians.

Can you name one people today, who are original to the area they currently occupy?  I doubt the argument is either side is "original" to the area.  Heck, even following as the Jews do, the biblical timeline one can easily see that Jews don't claim to be original to the area.  Considering the time spent in captivity in Egypt... the "Promise Land" was called that for a reason.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 04:30:19 PM »

Can you name one people today, who are original to the area they currently occupy?  I doubt the argument is either side is "original" to the area.  Heck, even following as the Jews do, the biblical timeline one can easily see that Jews don't claim to be original to the area.  Considering the time spent in captivity in Egypt... the "Promise Land" was called that for a reason.

Yes I could but the thing with these two factions is that they talk as though they are the people the bible is talking about. They're not.

Is like if people find the house Moses use to live and now the house have new occupants that doh mean yuh should call yuhself decendent ah Moses because yuh live dey. Europeans colonized America they ent call deyself Navajo nation.

So when I hear both sides talking about their right on a biblical level that's silly cause the bible wasn't talking about them.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »

Yes I could

Who?

but the thing with these two factions is that they talk as though they are the people the bible is talking about. They're not.

Is like if people find the house Moses use to live and now the house have new occupants that doh mean yuh should call yuhself decendent ah Moses because yuh live dey. Europeans colonized America they ent call deyself Navajo nation.

So when I hear both sides talking about their right on a biblical level that's silly cause the bible wasn't talking about them.

The Palestinians do not, nor have they EVER claimed a biblical right to the disputed territories.  I don't even know if they believe in the authority of the bible.  I also don't believe that they claim some authority from the Q'uran, even if that is what you meant.  Jerusalem is sacred to them because of the Dome of the Rock, built upon the site of the ruins of Solomon's temple.  The dispute for them is largely territorial, and the Dome of the Rock gives them some religious mooring as well.

As for your implication that they present-day Israelis aren't the Israelis of biblical times, that is ridiculous.  As I already stated, Jews occupied present-day Israel from biblical times thru the 2nd century when the Second Temple was sacked and destroyed by the Romans.  The battle between the Romans and the Jewish insurgents culminated in the siege of Masada, before the city finally fell to the Romans.  Under Roman rule the Jews were dispersed throughout the empire, which subsequently evolved into present-day Europe. 

Many Jews remained in the area even after the Muslims came to prominence.  It wasn't until the middle of the 7th century under the Caliph Umar that the last remaining Jews (in significant numbers that is) were removed from Jerusalem and the outlying areas.  As Europe developed over the centuries this jewish presence was most notable in the Ottoman Empire and in the Iberian Peninsula, particularly southern Spain.  After Spain returned to Christian hands in 1492 Jews were expelled along with the Muslims.  1492 is of course significant for other reasons: the 700-year battle to expel the Moors which began during the Crusades was now over... and among other things, Spain could finally entertain Columbus' request for funding to explore the (would-be New) World.

I could go on and on... but the dispersal of the Jews from Jerusalem, their continued presence in Muslim occupied lands, and their final repatriation following WWII is no myth.  I'm really not sure what information you're sourcing to say that the Bible wasn't speaking about the present-day Jews in Israel.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:05:22 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »

Yes I could

Who?

but the thing with these two factions is that they talk as though they are the people the bible is talking about. They're not.

The Palestinians do not, nor have they EVER claimed a biblical right to the disputed territories.  I don't even know if they believe in the authority of the bible.  I also don't believe that they claim some authority from the Q'uran, even if that is what you meant.  Jerusalem is sacred to them because of the Dome of the Rock, built upon the site of the ruins of Solomon's temple.  The dispute for them is largely territorial, and the Dome of the Rock gives them some religious mooring as well.

As for your implication that they present-day Israelis aren't the Israelis of biblical times, that is ridiculous.  As I already stated, Jews occupied present-day Israel from biblical times thru the 2nd century when the Second Temple was sacked and destroyed by the Romans.  The battle between the Romans and the Jewish insurgents culminated in the siege of Masada, before the city finally fell to the Romans.  Under Roman rule the Jews were dispersed throughout the empire, which subsequently evolved into present-day Europe. 

Many Jews remained in the area even after the Muslims came to prominence.  It wasn't until the middle of the 7th century under the Caliph Umar that the last remaining Jews (in significant numbers that is) were removed from Jerusalem and the outlying areas.  As Europe developed over the centuries this jewish presence was most notable in the Ottoman Empire and in the Iberian Peninsula, particularly southern Spain.  After Spain returned to Christian hands in 1492 Jews were expelled along with the Muslims.  1492 is of course significant for other reasons: the 700-year battle to expel the Moors which began during the Crusades was now over... and among other things, Spain could finally entertain Columbus' request for funding to explore the (would-be New) World.

I could go on and on... but the dispersal of the Jews from Jerusalem, their continued presence in Muslim occupied lands, and their final repatriation following WWII is no myth.  I'm really not sure what information you're sourcing to say that the Bible wasn't speaking about the present-day Jews in Israel.

How did I know you would pick that out lol.

Yes the Chinese. China was smart enough to build the Great Wall in order to keep the same crap that happening with India and Pakistan being divided, Africa being carved up and the list goes on from happening with them.
The Chinese culture and people have pretty much stayed intact since BC times. But of course you would probably disagree

As for the rest of my statement, I stand by it. The people presently there are as much Israeli as the people of current day Egypt are the decendants of Egyptians that built the pyramids. But of course you would probably disagree lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
How did I know you would pick that out lol.

Because yuh talking shit... as is your specialty.

Yes the Chinese. China was smart enough to build the Great Wall in order to keep the same crap that happening with India and Pakistan being divided, Africa being carved up and the list goes on from happening with them.
The Chinese culture and people have pretty much stayed intact since BC times. But of course you would probably disagree

Every nation of people have migrated, this we know for sure.  The only ones who likely haven't moved very far are the present-day Somalis and Ethiopians.  Even the Chinese have migrated to present-day China.  Even then, within present day China there are many various ethnicities, from the Uighurs, to the Mongols, to the Kazakhs to the Han.  Only the Han can lay claim to a lenghty presence in modern-day China.

As for the rest of my statement, I stand by it. The people presently there are as much Israeli as the people of current day Egypt are the decendants of Egyptians that built the pyramids. But of course you would probably disagree lol

Of course you will stand by it... any jackass can get on the internet and bray.  You absolutely cannot substantiate the claim that the present-day Jews cannot trace their lineage/history to biblical times.  That is nonsense even if you want to stubbornly hold fast to that flat-earth theory.

There's no need to address the futile strawman about the Egyptians, there's no conclusive proof that the nubians of KMT were the exclusive population of Egypt at the time of the building of the great pyramid.

1]; } ?>