April 27, 2024, 05:28:22 PM

Author Topic: Immigrant vets face deportation despite service  (Read 13470 times)

truetrini

Immigrant vets face deportation despite service
« on: October 24, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
Immigrant vets face deportation despite service
            Buzz up!5 votes Share
retweet
EmailPrint.. AP – In this undated photo provided by the US Marine Corps, Rohan Coombs is shown. When Coombs joined the … .By JULIANA BARBASSA, Associated Press Writer Juliana Barbassa, Associated Press Writer – 8 mins ago
SAN FRANCISCO – When Rohan Coombs joined the U.S. Marine Corps, he never thought one day he would be locked up in an immigration detention center and facing deportation from the country he had vowed to defend.

Coombs, 43, born in Jamaica, immigrated to the United States legally as a child with his family. He signed up to serve his adopted nation for six years — first in Japan and the Philippines, then in the Persian Gulf during the first war with Iraq.

Up to 8,000 non-citizens enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces every year and serve alongside American troops. As of May 2010, there were 16,966 non-citizens on active duty. The military does not allow illegal immigrants to enlist.

If non-citizens die while serving, they are given citizenship and a military funeral. If they live and get in trouble with the law, as Coombs did, they can get caught in the net of a 1996 immigration law that greatly expanded the list of crimes for which non-citizens can be deported.

"As far as I was concerned, I was a citizen," said Coombs, whose soft-spoken, introspective nature contrast with his physical presence. Coombs stands 6 foot 5 and weighs more than 260 pounds — a gentle giant, according to his fiancee, Robyn Sword.

Now advocates of non-citizen servicemen and women are trying to change that. Attorneys are taking cases like Coombs' to court, arguing that an immigrant who serves in the Armed Forces should be considered a U.S. national and protected from deportation.

"These are people who served us — whether they are model human beings or not," said Coombs' attorney, Craig Shagin of Harrisburg, Pa. "They served in our uniforms, in our wars. If they were POWs, they'd be considered American prisoners."

Rep. Bob Filner, D-Calif., chairman of the House Veterans' Affairs Committee, is looking into potential changes to the law so immigrants who serve in the military can avoid deportation.

"You come back from Iraq or Afghanistan today, you have put yourself on the line for this country," said Filner. "An incredible number of kids come back with an injury or illness that puts them in trouble with the law. To simply have these people deported is not a good way to thank them for their service."

Advocates estimate that thousands of veterans have been deported or are in detention. Government officials say they have no tally but plan to begin tracking the numbers.

The push comes as criminal courts are increasingly listening to arguments for leniency for veterans.

So-called veterans courts, which give them specialized treatment, now number more than 30, with a dozen more planned.

Next month, new U.S. Sentencing Commission rules will make it possible for federal judges to consider a criminal defendant's military service and mental and emotional condition to issue a lesser prison sentence. The rules, however, would not apply to immigration judges.

Most immigrants serve with distinction. The Center for Naval Analyses, a federally funded research and development center for the Navy and the Marine Corps, found that non-citizens are far more likely to complete their enlistment obligations successfully than their U.S.-born counterparts.

Coombs was one who did not make the grade.

He spent 10 months in the Persian Gulf and lost friends to combat, he said. After the war, he felt depressed and anxious. His family was far away in New York, and he said "whining" to fellow Marines didn't seem an option.

Instead, he got involved with drugs, and he got caught.

In 1992, he was court-martialed for possession of cocaine and marijuana with the intent to distribute, and was given 18 months of confinement and a dishonorable discharge.

He continued to struggle with drugs.

"Things would be going well, then something would happen," he said.

He got married, and that helped. When his wife died in 2001 of diabetes-related complications, he started smoking marijuana again.

In 2008, he was busted for selling marijuana to an undercover officer while working as a bouncer in an Orange County bar. He spent eight months in state prison.

"I don't want to make excuses. I made mistakes. I thought I knew the consequences — I served my time," he said in a telephone interview.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement found that his criminal convictions made him eligible for deportation, and he was turned over to ICE after serving his sentence. He has been held in a San Diego immigration detention center for 22 months and is appealing to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court.

Coombs was stunned to realize he could be forced to leave the country for his crimes.

"This is the only life I've known," he said. "The only time I left this country was when I was deployed overseas. This is my home."

On the other side of the country, Dardar Paye is appealing his deportation case to the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

Paye came to the U.S. from war torn Liberia as a 13-year-old. He joined the Army in 1998, serving in Kuwait as part of Operation Desert Fox and then in a NATO peacekeeping mission in Kosovo. He returned to New Jersey, where his family lives, to spend another year and a half with the Army National Guard.

In 2008, he was convicted of six weapons-related offenses, including two involving firearms dealing, and served time in federal prison. Now, like Coombs, he is facing deportation and is feeling betrayed.

"When I was in Kuwait, in Kosovo, I was like everyone else who was there, putting their lives on the line," said Paye, who in the Army was an armored vehicle crewman. "Now I feel like they just used me for what they wanted, and now they're throwing me away."

Advocates and immigration attorneys say that before the 1996 Illegal Immigrant Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, few immigrant veterans were deported, because immigration authorities could take their service into consideration.

The law added crimes such as drug possession for sale to the list of serious crimes that could lead to deportation of a legal immigrant.

"Drugs, anger management, weapons charges, that's what a lot of vets are getting caught for, and there is no relief," said Margaret Stock, a recently retired Army reservist and immigration attorney who taught at the United States Military Academy at West Point. "The 1996 law really put the nails in their coffin."

Coombs' attorneys, Shagin and Heather Boxeth of San Diego, Calif., who have represented or advised immigrant veterans in similar straits, estimate up to 4,000 veterans who served as long ago as World War II are now in immigration detention or have been deported, but acknowledge that there are no hard numbers.

ICE spokeswoman Lori Haley said identifying and removing dangerous criminals from the country is an agency priority — and that the cases of people with prior military service are carefully reviewed.

Meantime, the military has started to offer a fast-track to citizenship to immigrants currently serving. Now, most joining the Army can expect to be citizens by the end of basic training, said Stock. Other branches are expected to join the effort by the end of the year.

That help doesn't extend to those who have already served such as Paye and Coombs.

"If I had died," said Coombs, they would have made me a citizen, given me a military funeral, and given the flag to my mom. But I didn't die. Here I am. I just want another chance."

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrant vets face deportation despite service
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:16:57 PM »
rules is rules . if you was not born in america and is convicted of a felony according to the immigration rules and laws you wil be deported. I know one guy beat it by his lawyer arguing he came to this country at the age of 4 and have never been back to guyana . he knows no one in guyana and won his case due to dat fact. law is law .
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »
There are many options for non-citizens to aquire there citizinship while serving. They are given the option to get it after three months of serives and the process is fast. Feeling betrayed? he didn't say. He wanna do crimes (not just one but numerous) and say that? De ordasity.  :devil:

Atleast he getting to go somewhere and live like a free man and not in a crouded jail cell.

He getting off easy. I have no remorse for his situation. As a Retired Vet. if I was in the court I would show no sympathy. He should be tried in a court of his peers and I can almost guarantee they will not show any either.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »
How bout he betrayed the US by doing what he did. Made a bad picture of us who served and served proudly.

Words cyah express how pissed this one have me.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
is no wonder glenn beck have a "restoring honor" rally cuz americans have convenient memories.

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »
How bout he betrayed the US by doing what he did. Made a bad picture of us who served and served proudly.

'
He did his time.  He just does not want to get deportd.

I find yuh talking level shit about feeling shamed etc.  You talk about audacity.....when he was serving where was the audacity?  He deserves to be allowed to stay.

When I was serving there was no short cut like after 3 months it was 3 years!

This is new and he has a damn right to be allowed to stay.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:32:35 PM »
boy serving in the us military HARD so he deserve to at least stay
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »

'
He did his time.  He just does not want to get deportd.

I find yuh talking level shit about feeling shamed etc.  You talk about audacity.....when he was serving where was the audacity?  He deserves to be allowed to stay.

When I was serving there was no short cut like after 3 months it was 3 years!

This is new and he has a damn right to be allowed to stay.

This is beyond nonsense... it is level bullshit.  If he wasn't WI none ah allyuh would be saying ah peep. 

The law been on the books since 1996, I sure he did know about it.  Yuh have ah choice, become ah citizen, or keep yuh li'l residency status and keep yuh facking nose clean.  He did his time fine, but that is just one of the penalties he was exposed to.  There are legal penalties and administrative penalties.  If he was just a drug addict he wouldn't be in this predicament, but is ketch he get ketch with intent to deliver... automatic felony.  I ent saying ah not sorry, but let him ride out.  Preacher is correct, he shaming all WI's, if not all immigrants serving/who served in the military.

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »
BULLSHIT!

He was good enough to enlist, good enough to get trained, good enough to serve, good enough to deploy, the he is good enough to be allowed to stay in this country!

How the f**k he shaming any West Indian?

People use drugs all the time, he f**ked up he was thrown out he did his time, now yuh go punish him again by deporting him?

And why is it they changing the l;aws all the time as it pertains to legal immigrants serving as vets>?

This happened in 1992..how de hell anyone knows that he was denied citizenship based on his felony conviction?

he may have tried and was turned down.

is level fuc keries to deport him.

I posted the article because I felt it was bullshit, it has nutten to do with him being West Indian as far as I am concerned.  He is a veteran and put his life, limb on the line, that should have some value, it have some who eh serve in de Salvation Army and they getting a bligh.

He came as a child, what does he have in Jamaica?  Did he choose to fight for Jamaica?  Lewt him ride out?  Level f**keries. L-E-V-E-L!

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,651989,00.html

BULLSHIT!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:31:23 PM by Trinity Cross »

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »
Look more fodder

Immigrant Soldiers Serve Country, Still Face Deportation
 U.S. Army soldier. Photo: Getty Images/Chris Hondros
by Julianne Hing ShareThis | Print | Comment (0)
Monday, October 25 2010, 5:12 PM EST Tags: deportation, immigration enforcement, torn apart

INVESTIGATION: How Immigration Reform Got Caught in the Deportation DragnetIt jars the mind: immigrants who put their lives on the line, served in wars from Korea to Kosovo, and are being rewarded for their service by being deported from the United States. How can it be? And yet, many are.

The AP’s Juliana Barbassa reports that an estimated 4,000 immigrant veterans are facing deportation or have already been deported because of criminal convictions. Barbassa profiles Rohan Coombs, a 43-year-old Jamaican-born U.S. Marine who fell on hard times after he came back from serving in the Persian Gulf in the first Iraq war. Coombs was convicted of selling pot to an undercover cop in 2008, when he was working as a bouncer outside a club. He’s facing deportation now to a country he left when he was a child.

“If I had died,” Coombs tells Barbassa, “they would have made me a citizen, given me a military funeral, and given the flag to my mom. But I didn’t die. Here I am. I just want another chance.”

Barbassa reports that around 8,000 legal residents enlist in the military every year, and currently there are almost 17,000 people who are not citizens on active duty. Undocumented immigrants are barred from serving in the military.

A set of laws passed by Congress in 1996 made immigrants convicted of a class of so-called “aggravated felonies”—any crime where the possible jail sentence was two years—deportable. Under this new designation, “aggravated felonies” for immigration purposes could be crimes that are not actually felonies in criminal law. For the majority of people, the law was crystal clear: no judicial discretion, no second chances. Even if they arrived in the country as kids and don’t speak the language of the country they’re being sent to. Even if they had since rebuilt their lives and gotten themselves back on track. Even if they are U.S. military.

CNN recently profiled a pair of brothers in their fifties named Manuel and Valente Valenzuela who are facing deportation for convictions that are years old. One was convicted on domestic violence charges eleven years ago, another for resisting arrest 25 years ago. People serve time for their criminal convictions, and then face a second punishment all over again with deportation. The story is not uncommon, but it’s not often told.

While there are reports that the Obama administration is allowing some immigration judges to exercise discretion in a select few deportation cases, the vast majority do not get such treatment. Coombs and the Valenzuelas will be forced to leave the country unless the U.S. government steps in to halt their removal orders.

Among the millions of immigrants who’ve seen their families torn apart by deportation, criminal deportees’ stories’ don’t often lend themselves to easy storytelling or sympathy. Perhaps because of this, they’re neither as visible nor as outspoken in the mainstream immigrant rights movement. None of the policy options on the table in the current immigration reform debate would address the plight of criminal deportees.

Indeed, they’re the favored scapegoat of the immigrant rights discourse. The Obama administration has committed to cracking down on immigrants with criminal convictions on their records—hardened and dangerous criminals, the administration calls them. And deportations of people with criminal convictions are indeed up, as are deportations of those with no criminal history. The Obama administration deported 392,000 people in the last fiscal year, a record number of single-year removals.

Many who’ve been kicked out of the country, however, were convicted of minor, nonviolent crimes like shoplifting and pot possession. There are those, too, who are deported from the country and barred from re-entering because of domestic violence convictions, and even homicide.

Except everyone’s story is much more complicated than just the crimes they were convicted of, none more so than for immigrant vets.

That one person can be both valorous hero and convicted criminal—indeed that any person might have been convicted of a terrible crime and still deserve legal protection and the right to stay in the country with their families—messes with the story we’ve been told about who deserves to stay in the country and who doesn’t.

Our legal system gets similarly confused. The immigration system is not prepared to deal with these nuances, and the immigration laws no longer make allowance for complicated pasts and the full spectrum of human reality. Untold thousands of families have been torn apart as a result.

Barbassa reports that the U.S. government couldn’t give hard numbers on how many vets are deported every year, but will start tracking that. And, in a bit of hopeful news, immigrant vets facing similar fates may have an ally in Congress:

Rep. Bob Filner, D-Calif., chairman of the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee, is looking into potential changes to the law so immigrants who serve in the military can avoid deportation.

“You come back from Iraq or Afghanistan today, you have put yourself on the line for this country,” said Filner. “An incredible number of kids come back with an injury or illness that puts them in trouble with the law. To simply have these people deported is not a good way to thank them for their service.”

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
Non-citizen veterans facing deportation despite service to U.S.
By larryjohnson Recommend this story (0 votes)
Report abuse |
Share 50From Larry Johnson's blog: Looking for Trouble.

Non-citizen veterans of Vietnam, both Gulf wars and Afghanistan are being “quietly” deported despite U.S. military promises of citizenship in exchange for fighting for the United States.

Reportedly there are over 3,000 veterans currently incarcerated and under threat of deportation nation wide.

Veterans’ rights activist Jan Ruhman wrote last year on the blog Vetspeak.org:

“American Military veterans who have served our nation in times of war and peace have quietly been deported since 1996 when the Immigration Reform Act (IRA) was passed by the Republican Controlled Congress and “broadly” redefined Aggravated Felony (AG) and took away certain applications for relief. This simple change in the definition of AG in the law has directly affected tens of thousands of veterans who served their nation. Quite simply, they are facing forced deportation or have in fact already been “quietly” and unceremoniously deported over the past 13 years.

“A trail of lies has been uncovered at point of recruitment and in boot camps. Statements concerning U. S. Citizenship being “automatic” were related by many veterans we interviewed. Other veterans, who were more educated, knew different and applied while in the military but then deployed to a combat zone and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) didn’t have their application follow them. Many, who knew they had to apply, simply found that (as is the case with many veterans upon discharge, especially those suffering from PTSD), navigating the “system” is not psychologically or emotionally possible, for them.

“At present, it is estimated that over 3,000 of our fellow veterans are incarcerated and face deportation in Department of Homeland Security/INS Prisons nation wide. They are being processed through court rooms in rented industrials parks that more closely resemble fast food franchises turning out lunch than justice. Many are being held under “mandatory detention” with no option to pay bail to be released while fighting their case.

“Each month the human misery and degradation suffered by these veterans, their families and loved ones continues to grow.”

Nicolas Taborek, a staff writer for the Imperial Valley Press reports on two of those veterans in California:

“After serving six years in the U.S. Marine Corps, Rohan Coombs assumed he had earned American citizenship.

“But today the Jamaican immigrant is one of several military veterans in custody at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in El Centro fighting to avoid deportation.

“Coombs, 42, moved to the United States with his mother when he was 14 and ended up at the facility after serving eight months in prison for a 2008 marijuana distribution conviction. About the time he was expecting to be released from prison, he received some surprising news: despite his military service during the first Gulf War, he was never granted U.S. citizenship. As a non-citizen, he was subject to removal from the country for his offense.

“All this time I was thinking I was a (U.S.) citizen,” Coombs said. “The only time I left this country is when I was in the military…”

“Another veteran detained in El Centro, Fernando Cervantes, 55, moved to the United States from Mexico when he was 7 years old and is facing deportation because he was convicted of possessing less than a gram of methamphetamine with intent to sell.”

Coombs and Cervantes, like many of the veterans being deported, say that the military told them they would automatically become citizens by serving in the armed forces.

Vets’ activist Ruhman, a veteran himself, urges people to contact their local congressional representatives to “demand justice for these patriots.” Ruhman calls the deportations a “failure of U.S. immigration policy” and believes that only a federal law can stop them.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
BULLSHIT!

He was good enough to enlist, good enough to get trained, good enough to serve, good enough to deploy, the he is good enough to be allowed to stay in this country!

How the f**k he shaming any West Indian?

People use drugs all the time, he f**ked up he was thrown out he did his time, now yuh go punish him again by deporting him?

And why is it they changing the l;aws all the time as it pertains to legal immigrants serving as vets>?

This happened in 1992..how de hell anyone knows that he was denied citizenship based on his felony conviction?

he may have tried and was turned down.

is level fuc keries to deport him.

I posted the article because I felt it was bullshit, it has nutten to do with him being West Indian as far as I am concerned.  He is a veteran and put his life, limb on the line, that should have some value, it have some who eh serve in de Salvation Army and they getting a bligh.

He came as a child, what does he have in Jamaica?  Did he choose to fight for Jamaica?

BULLSHIT!

Yuh post de article... but did you read it?

In 2008, he was busted for selling marijuana to an undercover officer while working as a bouncer in an Orange County bar. He spent eight months in state prison.

In 2008, he was convicted of six weapons-related offenses, including two involving firearms dealing, and served time in federal prison. Now, like Coombs, he is facing deportation and is feeling betrayed.

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »
Did you read the article?  He was thrown out in 1992...that happens before 2008.

In 1992, he was court-martialed for possession of cocaine and marijuana with the intent to distribute, and was given 18 months of confinement and a dishonorable discharge.

That would have stopped him from Naturalizing!

So the excuse he ahd time to become a citizen does not hold water.

He should be allowed to stay!  The hardships that military service brings even in this all voluntary military are huge and ardous.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
boy serving in the us military HARD so he deserve to at least stay

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 08:31:15 PM »
Did you read the article?  He was thrown out in 1992...that happens before 2008.

That would have stopped him from Naturalizing!

So the excuse he ahd time to become a citizen does not hold water.

He should be allowed to stay!  The hardships that military service brings even in this all voluntary military are huge and ardous.

Uhm... there are millions of legal residents here in the US who going about their lives without breaking the law.  Your argument holds absolutely no water.  I saw that he was dishonorably discharged FOUR YEARS BEFORE THE LAW WENT INTO EFFECT.  Who forced him to go sell drugs and then sell guns 12 YRS AFTER his immigrant ass knew they would throw him out the country for a felony and he still went ahead and commit not one but two??  Hardship my ass.

Buy dah fella ah rasta wig and ah beef pattie and send he ass back Jamaica.

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 08:56:20 PM »
There is a difference.  If you choose not to acknowledge that then so be it.  There are reasons why they are altering the law to confer citizenship when you join the military.

I guess we give the Mexicans two cans refried beans and some water wings and send them back over the Rio Grande too?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »
There is a difference.  If you choose not to acknowledge that then so be it.  There are reasons why they are altering the law to confer citizenship when you join the military.

I guess we give the Mexicans two cans refried beans and some water wings and send them back over the Rio Grande too?

What is de difference?  Because yuh put on ah f**king uniform yuh get to disregard the law?  Dis fella get the same chance as everybody else.  Nobody tell him use drugs and fack up he career in the military.   I understand him being depressed after his wife died... in 2001!!  Nobody tell him use drugs.  Nobody tell him sell drugs... to ah undercover officer no less.  Nobody tell him sell guns.  Long after the excuse of his wife dying expire.  How many mudda ass chances he need?  How many excuses you and his supporters will make for him?  I sympathetic as the next man but allyuh need to learn to cut allyuh losses and save the sympathy for the people who deserve it.

Most ah dem Mexicans (like mose immigrants) coming here to break rocks... not sell rocks.

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 10:35:06 PM »

What is de difference?  Because yuh put on ah f**king uniform yuh get to disregard the law?  Dis fella get the same chance as everybody else.  Nobody tell him use drugs and fack up he career in the military.   I understand him being depressed after his wife died... in 2001!!  Nobody tell him use drugs.  Nobody tell him sell drugs... to ah undercover officer no less.  Nobody tell him sell guns.  Long after the excuse of his wife dying expire.  How many mudda ass chances he need?  How many excuses you and his supporters will make for him?  I sympathetic as the next man but allyuh need to learn to cut allyuh losses and save the sympathy for the people who deserve it.

Most ah dem Mexicans (like mose immigrants) coming here to break rocks... not sell rocks.

Ok sir.  Regardless of his transgressions, he served this nation, good enough to fight for here, gopod enough to live her...he did his time, deporting a vet is just plain wrong, is not like he fail out of boot camp.

Remindds me of the black men who fought for this country's independence only to be placed back into slavery afterwards...good enought to fight but not good enough to enjoy citizenship!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:38:57 PM by Trinity Cross »

truetrini

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »
Stop the Deportation of Immigrant Military Veterans
They put their lives on the line in the service of the United States of America, and ended up being booted out of the country they fought for.
March 14, 2010  |    Advertisement They put their lives on the line in the service of the United States of America, and ended up being booted out of the country they fought for. They should be honored, not deported.

Immigrant military veterans of wars from Vietnam to Iraq have returned home from their service only to find detention and deportation awaiting them. More wound up on ICE's list after committing a criminal offense, most often drug-related. Veterans frequently end up in trouble with the law because they suffer from untreated Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which the country has done a notoriously bad job of taking seriously and providing treatment for. These veterans should and do serve out jail sentences for their crimes, like any citizen veterans; but to then also deport them from the land they served is despicable. They served our flag, and they are our responsibility, for better or worse.

Activists who work on the issue say that hundreds or even thousands of the men and women who served under the American flag have been shipped back to their birth country; an estimated 3,000 veterans currently await deportation in often-inhumane detention centers; and many thousands live with the threat of possible deportation hanging over their heads. Immigration and Customs Enforcement doesn't keep track of this data because it just doesn't care whether you've served this country in war or not. More than 30,000 non-citizens currently serve in the U.S. Army, and immigrants receive more than 20% of Congressional Medals of Honor, but this award makes no difference to immigration officials.

There is a trail of broken promises to deported veterans. "When your tour ends," President Barack Obama vowed to those serving in the military, "when you touch our soil, you will be home in America that is forever here for you, just as you've been there for us. That is my promise." Military recruiters regularly promise citizenship to patriotic immigrants who volunteer to offer up their lives for America.

While service in the United States military can put an immigrant on a path to citizenship, the slightest blot on their criminal record derails that process. Though service members are required to take an oath of loyalty to America almost identical to the citizenship oath, America betrays their loyalty when it allows them to be deported. Ironically, many opponents of comprehensive immigration reform and a path to citizenship say that undocumented immigrants or legal resident immigrants facing deportation should "earn" citizenship by serving in our military. Guess what? They already are, and getting deported anyway.

The group "Banished Veterans" is working to stop the detention and deportation of immigrant veterans of the U.S. military, and bring home those who have already been banished to a country they didn't offer up their lives and blood to. Banished Veterans is collaborating with the National Lawyers Guild on a resolution asking that all immigrant veterans be automatically recognized as non-citizen nationals -- people who don't receive all the rights of citizenship, but owe permanent allegiance to America, and cannot be deported. And they need your help: support their cause by signing this petition to send a letter to Congress demanding a stop to these deportations.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »
Ok sir.  Regardless of his transgressions, he served this nation, good enough to fight for here, gopod enough to live her...he did his time, deporting a vet is just plain wrong, is not like he fail out of boot camp.

Remindds me of the black men who fought for this country's independence only to be placed back into slavery afterwards...good enought to fight but not good enough to enjoy citizenship!

Now you really talking shit.  You seriously comparing convicted criminals WHO KNOW WHAT THE PENALTY IS that awaits them if they break the law... to slaves who genuinely thought they were fighting for their freedom??  Look like you fall over de side ah de boat one time too often.  I applaud him for his service to his country but the plaudits stop the minute you get dishonorably discharged.  Then to make matters worse you turning to a life of crime?

Please!

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »
It is comparable, you fight for an ideal, you serve a cause and then they discard you.

He served, and I understand his position very well...he does NOT deserve to be deported.  He went to jail, he was punished for all his crimes now he is to be deported when all he really knows is life here?

Suppose he was damaged during the war, maybe he needs mental health care...certainly noe deportation!

Besides look at YOUR president's promise!

"When your tour ends," President Barack Obama vowed to those serving in the military, "when you touch our soil, you will be home in America that is forever here for you, just as you've been there for us. That is my promise." Military recruiters regularly promise citizenship to patriotic immigrants who volunteer to offer up their lives for America.
[/b]

That has always been the promise to veterans..once the uniform goes on you are an american, you feel if the enemy captures you he letting you go becasue you not a citizen?

steups

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 11:16:29 PM »
It is comparable, you fight for an ideal, you serve a cause and then they discard you.

He served, and I understand his position very well...he does NOT deserve to be deported.  He went to jail, he was punished for all his crimes now he is to be deported when all he really knows is life here?

Suppose he was damaged during the war, maybe he needs mental health care...certainly noe deportation!

"When your tour ends," President Barack Obama vowed to those serving in the military, "when you touch our soil, you will be home in America that is forever here for you, just as you've been there for us. That is my promise." Military recruiters regularly promise citizenship to patriotic immigrants who volunteer to offer up their lives for America.
[/b]

That has always been the promise to veterans..once the uniform goes on you are an american, you feel if the enemy captures you he letting you go becasue you not a citizen?

steups

What part of "criminal" do you not understand?  He has not served his full sentence because whether you agree with the law or not he knew the penalty he faced.  It have other poor non-vet immigrants getting deported fuh all kinda f**kery, who is dis jackass dat they can't send him back whey he come from.  If was ah Grenadian in Trinidad he woulda be telling he story from de boat.

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »

[/b]

steups

What part of "criminal" do you not understand?  He has not served his full sentence because whether you agree with the law or not he knew the penalty he faced.  It have other poor non-vet immigrants getting deported fuh all kinda f**kery, who is dis jackass dat they can't send him back whey he come from.  If was ah Grenadian in Trinidad he woulda be telling he story from de boat.

Bakes I find yuh talking level shit..once you put on the uniform and take the oath you all but ah citizen already.

They SHOULD NOT DEPORT men and women who fought for this country..if you were to take a poll of most Americans they will agree too!

He came here a s a child, where he come from is of little significance when he made an oath to serve this nation and this constitution over any other.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

He served for six years and he got thrown out, that cannot negate his prior service.

And it is not just him, there are others who are being deported for stupid shit too.

I maintain that Veterans should not be deporteds!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 01:22:27 AM »
 These people that live almost their entire lives in the US almost from birth, they develop into thugs, drug pushers, murderers etc, so they are home grown in the States criminals and jus so USA shipping them out to the small islands for us to deal with sometimes without any warning.
America create the criminals whether is because they fight in their wars or otherwise and then the great USA solution is to foist these people on countries that could least handle them THAT IS THE CRIME.
Ah want de woman on de bass

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 02:14:51 AM »
These people that live almost their entire lives in the US almost from birth, they develop into thugs, drug pushers, murderers etc, so they are home grown in the States criminals and jus so USA shipping them out to the small islands for us to deal with sometimes without any warning.
America create the criminals whether is because they fight in their wars or otherwise and then the great USA solution is to foist these people on countries that could least handle them THAT IS THE CRIME.

ent?  Dat is a crime too, but in the case of Veterans, they SHOULD not be deported.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 05:16:07 AM »
Bakes I find yuh talking level shit..once you put on the uniform and take the oath you all but ah citizen already.

They SHOULD NOT DEPORT men and women who fought for this country..if you were to take a poll of most Americans they will agree too!

He came here a s a child, where he come from is of little significance when he made an oath to serve this nation and this constitution over any other.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

He served for six years and he got thrown out, that cannot negate his prior service.

And it is not just him, there are others who are being deported for stupid shit too.

I maintain that Veterans should not be deporteds!

You's ah waste ah blasted time... all you doing is repeating yuhself and talking ah emotional pack ah ass about veterans should not be deported.  Like veterans deserve some kinda pass compared to everybody else.  What so blasted special about veterans?  This ent the days of the draft, them sign up and get ah paycheck like anybody else, is not like dem making some great sacrifice.  Even so, when yuh done contribute something to society... instead you selling drugs and guns and begging fuh understanding now... after how many chances??

This too is ah pack ah ass... if was a small-islander committing crime in TnT allyuh done ship him back to whey ever he from long time.  Bottom line is that if yuh not a citizen you are NOT the responsibility of your host country.  It doh matter how long yuh where, or where yuh learn yuh criminal craft.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 06:20:30 AM »

the man moved to the US when he was a boy.  This is where he developed his values and criminal behaviours.

I think Fishes said it - he is US grown.  Deporting him is a convenient way to get rid of a problem that had its Genesis in the good ole USA.  Is the US problem and they should deal with it.  Similar deportations happen in Canada too.

Ah have to agree with TC.  Bakes let me respond to your comment/questions: "Like veterans deserve some kinda pass compared to everybody else.  What so blasted special about veterans?"

Well, they put dey life on the line for the nation. In mines (and many others, books), that is what make them special and deserving of special treatment.

There are so many Vets who would roll over in their grave while you enjoying the rewards of their works.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 06:40:59 AM »
Bakes you defending the indefensible, exporting people back to small states cannot be right and you know it.
A man reach in the states when he was a baby of six months and live all his life there then commit a crime getting post back to where he born because he never get naturalised is the height of nonsense and irresponsibilty for the most powerfull and richest country on the planet.
This man doh know a soul in Grenada , Jamaica , St Vincent or where ever and get post back there to survive  how?
It is bordering on a human rights crime to the man and the small state.
So you take my pack ah ass and ride out on it obviously your great USA can do no wrong
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 06:58:31 AM »

This too is ah pack ah ass... if was a small-islander committing crime in TnT allyuh done ship him back to whey ever he from long time.  Bottom line is that if yuh not a citizen you are NOT the responsibility of your host country.  It doh matter how long yuh where, or where yuh learn yuh criminal craft.
[/quote]
Horse, ah cyar agree with yuh there.  What Fishs say is correct.  While I understand the law is clear in the US, it is an unjust or unfair law to the countries that being asked to accept the deportees.  If someone comes to the US as a child, is reared in the US, educated in the US and developed there sense of morals and criminal behavior in the US, it is tough to just ship them back to their country of birth.  Again, I understand the law but I'll never agree with it.
Arimian to meh heart

1]; } ?>