April 25, 2024, 11:58:19 PM

Author Topic: What game Joel Bayley saw  (Read 1918 times)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What game Joel Bayley saw
« on: March 31, 2005, 07:02:26 AM »
Fellas- I have just read most of the Post and then checked out the Newsday report from Joel Bayley. I am left to wonder what game did he see, especially on his take about Yorke.

jusme

Re: What game Joel Bayley saw
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 07:13:33 AM »
yeah, it does seem a little odd that his opinion differs so drastically from everybody else from radio, ppl who see it live and ppl who write bout it for the other papers.  he might have some kinda agenda, or maybe he eh know football

By JOEL BAILEY

A CROWD of 12,000 witnessed a spirited performance by Trinidad and Tobago �  the final match at the helm for coach Bertille St Clair as the hosts held Costa Rica to a goalless draw in their CONCACAF World Cup Final Round qualifier at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo yesterday. While St Clair, known for his anti-media stance, vehemently denied in a press match conference that his job was at stake, the secret was out that the Tobago-born coach was sacked by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF).

The decision was announced in a radio interview by TTFF special advisor Jack Warner moments before the start of yesterday's encounter. (See Page 35). St Clair was clearly unsettled during the match, conducting animated conversations with  assistant coach Ron La Forest over the 57th minute over a choice of substitutes. By then it was clear that strikers Cornell Glen and Stern John, as well as midfielders Silvio Spann, Angus Eve and Carlos Edwards, were fading under pressure from the gutsy Costa Ricans.

And it seemed to the naked eye that St Clair's role was under pressure when another assistant, David Nakhid, repeatedly took the initiative in instructing the players while St Clair sat watching  on the edge of the bench. Nevertheless, Trinidad and Tobago took the attack to the Costa Ricans early but failed to open the scoring in the 11th minute when Glen collected a left-sided cross from Marlos Rojas and kicked straight at goalkeeper Alvaro Mesen. But the Central Americans seized the ascendancy and six minutes Alonso Soris fed fellow midfielder Walter Centeno in the middle but his shot sailed wide.

Goalkeeper Clayton Ince was forced, on one-and-one opportunities, to block attempts by Soris in the 27th and striker Whayne Wilson in the 28th. And Glen failed to get a touch on a right-side centre by David Atiba Charles in the 40th, after Charles (who gave an inspired display) got past Costa Rican defender Leonardo Gonzalez. Ince was called into action in the 52nd, blocking a drive by Harold Wallace after the right-back was sent clear by substitute Carlos Hernandez. But the TT effort went cold, as Spann suffered an injury by Centeno, Glen sustained cramps while the humidity, and fatigue, got the better of Eve, John, Edwards and fullback Dennis Lawrence. Ace striker Paolo Wanchope was brought on as a 67th minute substitute by Costa Rican coach Jorge Luis Pinto but he produced little on the day.

The hosts again fought valiantly for the winning item, with substitute Nigel Pierre chesting a right-side cross from Angus Eve but a sprawling Mesen held the 75th minute chance on the line. A minute later, Hernandez sent his volley overbar and, in the 80th, Dwight Yorke, who was a non-factor for the entire match, rifled his shot against the body of defender Gilberto Martinez after receiving a through pass from Eve. Yorke, who wore the captain's armband for the second straight game, looked like a player out of form and focus and one wondered how the 33-year-old, as well as troubled striker John, merited places on team.

Both players have yet to cement their places in their respective English clubs Birmingham and Coventry and they never seemed in sync yesterday. But, with the confidence displayed by Charles, defender Anton Pierre and striker Hector Sam, all is not lost for Trinidad and Tobago, after they gained their first point in a troubled Journey to Germany Final Round campaign.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 07:45:48 AM »
he definitely has a hidden agenda.  i read it this morning too and i was in absolute shock!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 08:20:44 AM »
This makes me want even more to see the game.. I don't know who this Joel is, but I have seen reports from Touches, Patriot etc, in the past, and it was close to what I had seen also. So I believe their report. I should be getting a copy of the tape next week, so i can decide for myself....

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 09:48:32 AM »
That is not a match report, that is a opinion piece or commentary. There is a fine line between the two but the sports editors at the newsday should know better than to try and sneak in that bullshit.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 11:00:13 AM »
Clearly this reporter whoever he is at with this trite reporting is  outlaying  propaganda.

My Take:
These WCQ is bigger in one sense that what we can imagine. The politics behind this and the deals behind close doors are unknown to us.

I for one has some inclination to  base my thinking on a form of 'Conspiracy Theory' If for example, countries could pay Olympic officials big cash  to garner votes to host an Olympic event, and FIFA officials are wined and dined by countries to host soccer events, then  my hypothesis would be to consider why behind close doors could we not conceivably think that certain people (say like a Jack Warner) who make  all the major decisions regarding the direction of the team's performance could not  work in ways to sabotage the efforts of a team?

I mean even Jack does not have an infinite flow of cash or does he? So in viewing this from another paradigm. What if these so called press coverage are  part of a plan to destabilize our efforts, keep us mentally unbalanced and to propagate a thinking that we are not worthy to  qualify? What if in fact Jack saw that after last night's performance enough to suggest that we, could upset the  big name qualifiers? I mean think of the level of preparation that went in prior to the Guatemala game? they lost 2-0 to USA and we lost 2-1 ummmmm they beat us 5-0 ummm......no real test against an opponent of any quality Honduras to give us an indication of performance. Even if we had lost to Honduras, it may have been a better work out that what we had.

It makes you wonder as to how decisions are made and why? Nothing in the process is transparent or sometime logical. But as a nation we ought to be demanding more accountability to those entrusted to make decisions for the betterment and progress of football in our nation.
We ought not to sit back and take the nonsense coming out of these press coverage whose seemingly intent is to undermine the progress in our land.

jusme

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 12:56:20 PM »
he obviously don't know what he talking bout.  I mean I was listening on the radio and yorke was on the ball every other time you hear a name call, so he couldn't have been a non-factor.  if you want to say the man play bad is one thing, but to call him a non-factor is ridiculous

1]; } ?>