April 19, 2024, 02:10:49 AM

Author Topic: ‘E-citizen card’ to become main form of identification  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘E-citizen card’ to become main form of identification
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »
‘E-citizen card’ to become main form of identification
By Raphael John-Lall (T&T Guardian)

The Government intends to implement an “e-citizens card” which will replace the ID card and drivers’ permit in the future, said acting Permanent Secretary Gillian McIntyre, Ministry of Public Utilities. “The e-citizens card is a unique identification number which will allow citizens to access all Government services on and off-line. “It is anticipated that this identification system which will eventually replace all other systems such as drivers permits, ID cards and smart cards will encourage a more efficient degree of Government services,” she said. Ag Permanent Secretary Gillian McIntyre, Ministry of Public Utilities was speaking on behalf of Emmanuel George on Thursday night at the media launch of the “I-create” 2010-2011 Caribbean Association of National Telecommunications Organisation (Canto) Regional e-content competition at National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA).

The competition will begin in January 2011. “We are set to implement a new ICT strategy that will begin in 2011 it will emphasise increasing usage and uptake which would be increasing access to and utilisation of information and telecommunication technology such as the Internet, computers and smart phones,” she added. Although T&T is one of the more advanced countries with ICT infrastructure development, the levels of local content in T&T is low when compared to other Caribbean countries, she said. “Discussions are already underway to address this critical issue. “A new ICT vision is soon to be defined by the Government and it will support the view that T&T can support real and lasting improvements in its social, economic and cultural spheres throughout the equitable distribution of ICT,” she said.

She said the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT) is currently reviewing the national broadcast policy. “This assessment will address issues such as local content development and a proposal to review and establish a public broadcast e-service and market concentration and related regulations. “It is envisioned that the creation of local content which will be supported through the establishment of public broadcasting service will promote among other things preservation of national identity, counter balance the influence of foreign media and provide useful education content,” she said.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Dumplingdinho

Re: ‘E-citizen card’ to become main form of identification
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:15:45 PM »
i wonder how long will it take to get one of these cards since it does take years to get a passport.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
Sehr gut!!.....is the implementation dat does kill we.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
Good initiative.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »
Good idea.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
Is when the card get lost or stolen....or when it have a man who could change yuh info for a $100.

I real skeptical about this.

The birth certificate give real trouble, some people all they have is asterisk on it.

I ent know, I mean it better than the old big ledger, pen and ruler they currently operating with, but yuh does get the feeling that a bepsy OJT go be the one screwing up the data entry or something or the other.

At least our drivers permit will get a upgrade and some respect...rather than looking like we make it in a kinkos.

I sorry to come across like a wet drawers, but the 3rd world geniuses we have wukking down here does find some way of making a easy ting....hard.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 01:51:23 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
Is when the card get lost or stolen....or when it have a man who could change yuh info for a $100.

The birth certificate give real trouble, some people all they have is asterisk on it.

I ent know, I mean it better than the old big ledger, pen and ruler they currently operating with, but yuh does get the feeling that a bepsy OJT go be the one screwing up the data entry or something or the other.

At least our drivers permit will get a upgrade and some respect...rather than looking like we make it in a kinkos.

I sorry to come across like a wet drawers, but the 3rd world geniuses we have wukking down here does find some way of making a easy ting....hard.

I had a similar worry where so many people know so many people business in T&T next ting man tief yuh card and change all yuh info online...or somebody who bad-mind yuh use yuh number to hustle.   No reason not to upgrade - good idea, but I hope they tink hard bout all them ting.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 02:32:51 PM »

i like the idea but they need to ensure proper security over the entire process from the manufacturing of the card to rollout to ongoing use.....this card is not something they can half step on then bawl we didnt expect certain things to happen (i.e. bobol)

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Was thinking the same thing

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »
I'm excited about this initiative. Notwithstanding the security concerns I have a positive attitude to it. It would improve delivery of social services and provide a conduit for information sharing that is desperately needed.  It could also make data collection simpler and more effective which would be able to assist policy makers.

5 Stars to the Government if they actually get this right.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 08:46:38 PM »
Sehr gut!!.....is the implementation dat does kill we.....

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>