April 28, 2024, 06:31:49 AM

Author Topic: T&T Women finish WWCQ with 4-1 win  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Women finish WWCQ with 4-1 win
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
T&T Women finish WWCQ with 4-1 win
CONCACAF.com

Kennya Cordner put Trinidad ahead less than 11 minutes after the opening kickoff and the Soca Princesses went on to beat Caribbean rival Guyana 4-1 Tuesday night to finish both teams' campaigns in the CONCACAF Women's World Cup Qualifying.

Cordner used her speed to stretch Guyana's defense and tested keeper Catherine Kobelka early and often, but was thwarted on a penalty by the Lady Jags' netminder in the 40th minute.

Trinidad, which was largely on the defensive throughout in its losses to Mexico (1-0) and Canada (2-0), dominated from the outset and never was seriously threatened by Guyana. It finished in third place in Group A with three points.

It was a second loss for Guyana this year to Trinidad, which beat the Lady Jags 3-0 in Caribbean qualifying on May 14. After winning five of seven games in qualifying by a combined 17-5, Guyana was eliminated in the CONCACAF finals with three straight losses by an aggregate 19-3.

Cordner put a header wide 43 seconds in, and sprinted on goal only to have her shot intercepted by defender Justine Rodrigues in the ninth minute before she put Trinidad ahead.

She ran onto a headed pass from Janine Francois at the perimeter of the penalty area and streaked by Rodrigues before shooting at the edge of the six-yard box. Kobelka was able to partially block the shot, but not stop it from getting underneath and past her into the goal.

Kobelka was able to block another of Cordner's shots in the 25th but the resulting corner enabled Trinidad to double its lead. Rhea Belgrave ran on to Karyn Forbes' corner about eight yards from goal, heading it off the underside of the bar. The ball crashed down over the line before Kobelka could grab it.

The 37-year-old Guyana keeper had her moment in the 40th. She raced off her line to the top of the area to get to a loose ball, only to upend Cordner, who had tipped the ball past Kobelka.

But she went low to her left to block Cordner's ensuing penalty, and the Trinidad winger - with an open goal to shoot at - sent the rebound well over the bar from seven meters.

Trinidad increased its lead to 3-0 3½ minutes into the second half when Akeela Mollon sprinted free down the right side and crossed it to the back post where Candace Edwards converted with an easy volley.

Guyana finally replied in the 60th with a second goal in the tournament by Mariam El-Masri, one of nine teen-agers on the Lady Jags' roster. Ashely Rodrigues worked her way down the left side of the area before sending a ball into the goal box, where El-Masri volleyed at the near post.

Dernell Mascall restored the three-goal advantage five minutes later. Another Forbes corner was first headed by Cordner to the middle of the area just outside the goal box. Edwards was just able to get a touch that deflected it to Mascall, who toed the ball in from inside the six.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-i8gyJ05w0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/e-i8gyJ05w0</a>

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:29:24 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Women finish WWCQ with 4-1 win
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »
Congrats and good job ladies

So the men score 6 and  win, the women score 4 and win....on the same day. Ah go take dat  :chilling:

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »
Congrats to the ladies. Very decent results against two power houses Mexico and Canada. Results are indicative of improved team performances. Looking at the  the young Warriors and the senior ladies, I say we could build on this pool  of players for  upcoming tournaments.
Cheers

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:21:50 AM »
Interview: Akeela Mollon
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:28:38 AM »
Congrats and good job ladies

So the men score 6 and  win, the women score 4 and win....on the same day. Ah go take dat  :chilling:
Pardon me ..but what was the objective here again ? So I guess we keep Shabazz for another 20 year programme extension ?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 06:50:54 AM »
Congrats to the ladies. Very decent results against two power houses Mexico and Canada. Results are indicative of improved team performances. Looking at the  the young Warriors and the senior ladies, I say we could build on this pool  of players for  upcoming tournaments.
Cheers

Now this comment to me is not surprising as I actually wrote what you just said in another thread ...before the tournament began !!

.....we will be ready for the next tournament ...not this one ! ...we will use the remnants of a losing team to form the basis of the new team ....we did better than last time etc.

What this assumes is that improvement has only to do with what we do and is not seen as a relative thing. So if we lose by less than the last time, we have improved so we are doing well ...implied in that is that one day we will catch up and pass our opponents because we are " improving " .

I however dont subscribe to that view ...which is why for me athletics is a much more progressive sport in T&T than football .... they want to win medals not do better than last time . They are challenged by their organsation to bring home the bacon each time whereas in football there exist a general malaise of ...well we will do better next time ..we eh lose by much this time .. " All yuh eh see that long time we used to lose by plenty ? ..now is only two and three we getting "

Who looks at the fact that the girls can hardly pass the ball far less keep the ball or have any kind of possession on the field of play.Dont even mention the style ..which takes us back 40 years or so when the direct style was the order of the day ..." boot it long to mickey rat and ketos ..or let Arnim or Winston take de throw ...dey go throw it right inside de box !

Not a constructive sign in any of the teams in women's and I daresay  in the mens football !!!

But is Ok ....the results show we eh losing by dem big margins .

Well here is where I disagree with that consolation .....the other teams in our region which are ahead of us now are loking more like the " big teams " in world football with their level or organisation and skill ...on that they can build.

The treams who were far behind us are looking better than us in terms of the same and ae no longer a sure win for us ...on that they can build ..

We on the other hand have shown no improvement in tecnical or tactical awareness but are we worried ? no sah .... look at the results ...we eh doing so bad ...and it is on that premise we are building ...

you see me with all dis rain falling here ...I building my house on more solid foundation .....so when the storm winds come and blow ...the peace of good foundation I will know  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »

Ahkeela Mollon of Trinidad and Tobago (C) battles for the ball with goalkeeper Catherine Kobelka (L) and Briana Desouza (R) of Guyana during the CONCACAF Women's World Cup qualifying soccer match at the Beto Avila stadium in Cancun November 2, 2010.

Kennya Cordner of Trinidad and Tobago (R) battles for the ball with Melissia Elia of Guyana during the CONCACAF Women's World Cup qualifying soccer match at the Beto Avila stadium in Cancun November 2, 2010.

Kennya Cordner (R) of Trinidad and Tobago battles for the ball with Melissia Elia of Guyana during a CONCACAF Women's World Cup qualifying tournament soccer match at the Beto Avila stadium in Cancun November 2, 2010.

Referee Gillian Martindale (R) shows a yellow card to Karyn Forbes of Trinidad and Tobago during their CONCACAF Women's World Cup qualifying tournament soccer match against Guyana at the Beto Avila stadium in Cancun November 2, 2010.

Janine Francois (R) of Trinidad and Tobago battles for the ball with Collette Hope of Guyana during a CONCACAF Women's World Cup qualifying tournament soccer match at the Beto Avila stadium in Cancun November 2, 2010.

Ahkeela Mollon (L) of Trinidad and Tobago battles for the ball with Justine Rodriguez of Guyana during a CONCACAF Women's World Cup qualifying tournament soccer match at the Beto Avila stadium in Cancun November 2, 2010.

Kennya Cordner of Trinidad and Tobago (R) battles for the ball with Katrina Moore of Guyana during the CONCACAF Women's World Cup qualifying tournament soccer match at the Beto Avila stadium in Cancun November 2, 2010.

Kennya Cordner of Trinidad and Tobago (R) jumps for the ball with Katrina Moore of Guyana during the CONCACAF Women's World Cup qualifying soccer match at the Beto Avila stadium in Cancun November 2, 2010.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>