March 28, 2024, 12:10:25 PM

Author Topic: Sealy back in midfield  (Read 2147 times)

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
Sealy back in midfield
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
Sealy switches to MF, earns starts for San Jose
By Geoff Lepper (MLSsoccer.com)

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Seven years later, the legend of Jamil Walker still resounds for San Jose Earthquakes fans.

Walker was a rookie forward in 2003, watching and learning during the regular season while the Quakes piled up 45 goals and a Western Conference regular-season title behind a striker pairing of Landon Donovan and Dwayne De Rosario.

Walker had clocked 365 minutes, all as a substitute, when De Rosario went down with a strained hamstring in the first half of an away-and-home Western Conference semifinal series against the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Quakes coach Frank Yallop tabbed Walker to start the home leg of that series, and he provided an assist and a goal as San Jose scored five times in 75 minutes to pull out a shock 5-4 aggregate victory. He went on to start the Quakes’ Western Conference final win against Kansas City and provided an assist in San Jose’s 4-2 MLS Cup victory against Chicago.

That said, Scott Sealy is no Jamil Walker.

As in 2003, Yallop has made a critical switch to his playoff roster, inserting Sealy – who recorded just five starts and 520 minutes during the regular season – at the playmaking point of his 4-4-2 diamond midfield in place of Khari Stephenson. Sealy started there in the first leg of San Jose's Eastern Conference semifinal series against New York on Saturday, which they lost, 1-0.

The difference? This move isn’t caused by injury, but simply because Sealy has forced his way into the lineup, in Yallop’s view.

“In the last little bit [of the regular season], he’s showed some good tenacity in the middle of the field,” Yallop said. “I think he’s very strong at holding the ball, doesn’t give it away. And he’s got an eye for the goal. I think that Khari has just dropped down a level, and I’m trying to go with players that are in form.”

Still, the move raised eyebrows because Sealy has been known primarily in the MLS as a forward. He played mostly in the midfield, though, while toiling in Israel last season.

“I think putting Scott Sealy into the starting unit for Saturday night was not a gamble, and it proved to not be a gamble because I thought he played well,” Yallop said. “Scott did a nice job in the middle of the park.”

For his part, Sealy feels that fans who remember him from his 2008 stint with the Quakes haven’t got a chance to see his true game this season, thanks to thigh and groin strains that slowed him for much of the year.

“I’m very happy [to be playing],” Sealy told MLSsoccer.com. “As we all know, my year has been very up and down, inconsistent because of the injuries, but I always felt when I was healthy and 100 percent fit, I could help this team. I think if it wasn’t for the injuries, I would have been in there more.”

Although Joel Lindpere and Mehdi Ballouchy caused problems to the Quakes’ defense, Sealy did a credible job of keeping Red Bulls star Rafa Márquez from orchestrating things in midfield as he ordinarily does.

“He wasn’t able to spray balls like he usually does and I think it’s because I didn’t give him time to do so,” Sealy said. “Any time he had the ball, I was up onto him. My main thing playing [in] midfield is to be good on both sides of the ball. Playing forward most of my career, being defensively 100 percent committed is what I’m personally concerned about.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:45:42 AM by Tallman »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sealy back in midfield
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:52:19 AM »
should be on the national team in dat position

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
do national coaches follow the plight and progress of all national players?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:41:01 PM »

APPERENTLYYYYYY NOTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 05:50:32 PM »

the real question is does Jack follow the plight and progress of all national players?

the answer is he doh care !!!

As long as Jack Warner runs TnT football,we will never have the best available players. 

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »

the real question is does Jack follow the plight and progress of all national players?

As long as Jack Warner runs TnT football,we will never have the best available players. 

Now me eh hold no brief 4 d esteem MP. So unless u can tell me dat Jack say doh pick Sealy this 1 is squarely on LATAS.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »
Now me eh hold no brief 4 d esteem MP. So unless u can tell me dat Jack say doh pick Sealy this 1 is squarely on LATAS.

ahhmmm...pick Sealy when ? before who ? juss because he had a good second half of the season, then yuh couldn't get him to come for a practice, yuh woulda have to discard the fellas yuh was working with all along for the lasrt 2 years, to stick an man who now start to play the position this year, and wasn't even playing regularly up to last year...think wha woulda pass if he did just pick Sealy when he became available, and what ppl woulda say, given the same score, or even 1-0....Sealy for future, yes, but Sealy couldn't have been picked for now....add: not at midfield anyway

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
It doesn't appear to me that Latas is doing enough to secure the overseas players who are cleared to rep TT.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »

I've not been around for Latas era but was for many in the last 20 yrs and Jack says who gets pick expect in Beenie and Gally times.Do you remember the first black list? do you think Wim didn't want certain players? do you think the blacklisted players still didn't want to play?who call the shoots on who cyar play? Camps?
What about the Birchall fiasco now? do you believe the spin?I know of a former player who was playing for Joe Public and wanted to leave to play for another Pro League team and was simply told by Jack and not the national coach,if he leave he would never play for Trinidad again.Yuh want more evidence ah could go on and on including a Shell Caribbean Cup finals in Trindiad against Matinique when Nakhid was captain.  

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:43:03 PM »

I've not been around for Latas era but was for many in the last 20 yrs and Jack says who gets pick expect in Beenie and Gally times.Do you remember the first black list? do you think Wim didn't want certain players? do you think the blacklisted players still didn't want to play?who call the shoots on who cyar play? Camps?
What about the Birchall fiasco now? do you believe the spin?I know of a former player who was playing for Joe Public and wanted to leave to play for another Pro League team and was simply told by Jack and not the national coach,if he leave he would never play for Trinidad again.Yuh want more evidence ah could go on and on including a Shell Caribbean Cup finals in Trindiad against Matinique when Nakhid was captain.  

All dat is true but why he would not want Sealy on d team or d fact dat he eh playing is Jack fault.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »

All dat is true but why he would not want Sealy on d team or d fact dat he eh playing is Jack fault.

as I said Weary I ain't there for Latas era but Jack does have a track record.Why isn't Birchall playing? forget dat Australian tour bullsh#t. 

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:33 PM »

as I said Weary I ain't there for Latas era but Jack does have a track record.Why isn't Birchall playing? forget dat Australian tour bullsh#t. 

Birchall I put on Latas as 4 Sealy me eh know y he eh playin but I eh go say is because ah Jack.

1]; } ?>