June 16, 2024, 06:25:19 AM

Author Topic: Out of all the Caribbean teams who went WC.  (Read 5825 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Out of all the Caribbean teams who went WC.
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »
Out of all the Caribbean teams who went to the World Cup (T&T, Cuba, Haiti and Jamaica).

Who allyuh feel was in the group of death.

Not sure if we can count Cuba as they was in a group with just one team at the time.

Trinidad and Tobago
England
Sweden
Paraguay

Poland
Haiti
Argentina
Italy

Argentina
Japan
Jamaica
Croatia

1938 (First Round)
Cuba
Romania
1938 (Second Round)
Cuba
Sweden

PS: I didn't know India actually qualify for a World Cup (1950) but withdrew ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Out of all the Caribbean teams who went WC.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
Yeah they (India) wanted to play barefeet
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:26 AM »
Out of all the Caribbean teams who went to the World Cup (T&T, Cuba, Haiti and Jamaica).

Not sure if we can count Cuba as they was in a group with just one team at the time.

Trinidad and Tobago
England
Sweden
Paraguay

Poland
Haiti
Argentina
Italy

Argentina
Japan
Jamaica
Croatia

1938 (First Round)
Cuba
Romania
1938 (Second Round)
Cuba
Sweden

I would think Haiti's... that looks very tough...karma for robbing us though

and surely our Group was tougher than the yellow and black scum...no excuse on our part for no goals etc but we had organization and were never embarrassed... all 3 teams were better teams...but we held our own in each... had we played Japan and Croatia(in 98 state ie being first timers) I think we would have beaten Japan and either lost or drew to Croatia...

Croatia and Japan were 1st timers as well as Yardies... they got a relatively easy group with Argentina being the number 1 seed...what they get from Argentina? 5 or 6?

remember when England destroyed them 6-0 before the 2006 cup...in preparation for us lol..

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:26:33 AM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:43:53 AM »
Haiti!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
LOL
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:58:51 AM »
For a Caribbean team at the World Cup, any group is a group of death.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »
LOL

serious talk.
One of the most peculiar occrences in the history of football.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
LOL

serious talk.
ah wish fifa who ever was governin at the time did let dem run

I bet dem barefoot bullet woulda poison somebody
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »

and surely our Group was tougher than the yellow and black scum...no excuse on our part for no goals etc but we had organization and were never embarrassed... all 3 teams were better teams...but we held our own in each... had we played Japan and Croatia(in 98 state ie being first timers) I think we would have beaten Japan and either lost or drew to Croatia...

Croatia and Japan were 1st timers as well as Yardies... they got a relatively easy group with Argentina being the number 1 seed...what they get from Argentina? 5 or 6?

remember when England destroyed them 6-0 before the 2006 cup...in preparation for us lol..

Your reasoning is flawed here Small Magician.

First, Croatia is Yugoslavia rebranded....yup, the country's name was new, but their football was by no means a stranger to world cup finals. Davor Suker, Zvonimir Boban, Robert ProcinesKi etc were all dominant players in europe at the time, no surprise that they went on finishing 3rd at France 98. Most of Croatias players played for the former yugoslavia. Japan was the weakest team in the group, and were rightfully put in its place by whitmore's Brace.

And to say T&Ts group was tougher than Jamaica's group is debatable. Jamaicas group had the third placed finisher in Croatia, while both teams from T&T's group got knocked out at the quarter finals stage. Anyone with football knowledge will tell you that both 1998 Croatia and Argentina are better than 2006 Sweden and Paraguay respectively hands down.

Yes, T&T held Sweden to a respectable 0-0 scoreline, but anyone seeing the game knew it was one way traffic all game long. then you lost 2-0 to england...compare that to Jamaica's 3-1 los to croatia the eventual third place team (1-1 at half time), i'd say Jamaica's result there looks slightly better. When Jamaica lost to Argentina, one mr Gabriel Batistuta was the leading striker in the world...backed up by a very young and in form Ariel Ortega...these guys were on the top of their game. If you want to put Jmaicas performance in perspective, they finished above the the USA that year.

England 5-0 swamping of Jamaica in a friendly game where the Jamaica team was brough together 4 days before the game doesnt tell the whole story...in games leading up to France'98, a better prepared Jamaica went toe-to-toe with Brazil twice...drawing 0-0 and losing 1-0 respectively.

At the end of th day though, history will show that Jamaica's three goals and 3 points at France 98 remains the best performance from caribbean teams in the history of the finals...and outside of Mexico, USA and Costa Rica, Jamaicas performance at France 98 is the best of any CONCACAF teams in the past 35 years.

Yes, the Haiti group looked to be tougher just by virtue of thefcat that it had Poland, who finished 3rd that year, italy and argentina.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:17:14 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »
LOL

serious talk.

I suppose FIFA needed to enforce the rules but India FA self move real different there. The grainy black and white video of that would have made for amusing viewing.

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
LOL

serious talk.

I suppose FIFA needed to enforce the rules but India FA self move real different there. The grainy black and white video of that would have made for amusing viewing.
alluh really serious with that one

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:06:32 PM »
LOL

serious talk.

They poison T&T... ah vaguely remember India putting a cut arse on we in the then National Stadium.. and yes a man score a demon from almost half line, barefoot!

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 07:17:42 PM »
LOL

serious talk.

They poison T&T... ah vaguely remember India putting a cut arse on we in the then National Stadium.. and yes a man score a demon from almost half line, barefoot!
How old were you?

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 07:18:26 PM »

Trinidad and Tobago
England
Sweden
Paraguay

Poland
Haiti
Argentina
Italy

Argentina
Japan
Jamaica
Croatia

1938 (First Round)
Cuba
Romania
1938 (Second Round)
Cuba
Sweden

I would think Haiti's... that looks very tough...karma for robbing us though

That Croatia team in '98 wasn't no joke, Davor Suker, Boban, Prosinecki, Simic etc anybody who watched  Euro '96 knew they were gonna cause it in the WC... The didn't come third by a fluke small mag

Your reasoning is flawed here Small Magician.

First, Croatia is Yugoslavia rebranded....yup, the country's name was new, but their football was by no means a stranger to world cup finals. Davor Suker, Zvonimir Boban, Robert ProcinesKi etc were all dominant players in europe at the time, no surprise that they went on finishing 3rd at France 98. Most of Croatias players played for the former yugoslavia. Japan was the weakest team in the group, and were rightfully put in its place by whitmore's Brace.

And to say T&Ts group was tougher than Jamaica's group is debatable. Jamaicas group had the third placed finisher in Croatia, while both teams from T&T's group got knocked out at the quarter finals stage. Anyone with football knowledge will tell you that both 1998 Croatia and Argentina are better than 2006 Sweden and Paraguay respectively hands down.

Maybe, but Paraguay is definitely no Japan, and 2006 England was better 1998 England who were unlucky to not beat Argentina in 1998. And '06 Sweden could box with '98 Croatia as well so I'd say we had a tougher group overall Reggae fan but Haiti had the toughest run hands down...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »
For a Caribbean team at the World Cup, any group is a group of death.
:nailbiting:
I was thinking the same thing!  :thumbsup:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 09:59:09 PM »
LOL

serious talk.

what was the then National Stadium???

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:58 PM »
this is all that matter. 3 goals 3 point and third in the group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TwBBuJFqmQ

davor suker went on to win the golden boot and Batistuta was difficult to contain.

England suck in 2006, Sweden was on the down and Paraguay wasn't any real force.

we play Brazil multiple times and lost 1-0 once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roHkLcqHv3g

when we lost 6-0 to England that was not even an organize jamaica team.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:39:47 PM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 12:25:40 AM »
I purposely stayed away from this one. You might have well as named the thread "Start Jamaica - Trinbago flame war here"

As much as i hate to add fuel to the troll's fires (and here they actually not trolling), it's disingenuous to state that Jamaica was in a group of 3 world cup debutants. Croatia had been part of Yugoslavia since World War 2 and was already a battle hardened group of players by 1998. Although only 3 players had actually represented yugoslavia in 1990, about 7 or 8 of them had already played for yugoslavia, and presumably, had played in european cups or world cup qualifiers. The fact that they went on to finish 3rd is proof of how strong they were.
Argentina needed no introduction.
Japan however was the weak link in the group and was always everybody's likely candidate for 3 points along with South Africa.

You could however claim that T&T's group was much more balanced. England was 4th or 5th favourite to take the tournament if my memory serves me well. Sweden had established itself as a solid second round team. Paraguay had made the second round for two cups running and had built up a reputation for itself of being extremely hard to beat. Most importantly, T&T's group was the only one that had three teams from the previous tournament in 2002 that had reached the second round.

Prior to 2006, Paraguay had 19 world cup matches, England had 50 and Sweden had 42
Prior to 1998, Japan had 0, Croatia had 30 counting Yugoslavia's post WW2 matches and Argentina 52.

Haiti's group looks tough by today's standards, but in 1974, Poland hadn't played a match since the very first WC and had not qualified for the preceding Euro, Argentina had actually missed the previous WC, and apart from a very young Mario Kempes and the possible exception of their GK Fillol lacked any of their marquee players (feel free to correct me Jai John). Italy actually contrived to go out in the first round. (To their credit, though Poland also beat all comers, apart from the final champions, West Germany, racking up wins against Italy, Argentina, Sweden, and Brazil in the process)

Cuba's not worth mentioning given the format...

I'd say

Argentina 98 > Argentina 74 >England 06
Croatia 98 > Sweden 06 > Italy 74
Poland 74 > Paraguay 06 > Japan 98
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 04:03:12 AM »

You could however claim that T&T's group was much more balanced. England was 4th or 5th favourite to take the tournament if my memory serves me well. Sweden had established itself as a solid second round team. Paraguay had made the second round for two cups running and had built up a reputation for itself of being extremely hard to beat. Most importantly, T&T's group was the only one that had three teams from the previous tournament in 2002 that had reached the second round.

Jamaica (CONCACAF #3) 2-1 victory over Japan (AFC #1) was a victory in itself for CONCACAF on a whole, given the USA's poor showing at France '98.
Apart from the Japan Game, Jamaica put on a very creditable first half performance against Croatia. In fact, Jamaica had a goal denied by a defender who cleared off the line off a Onandi Lowe header early in the game. The first half ended 1-1, with Croatia only marginally better in terms of scoring opportunities (Croatia hit the post twice in the first half). I think that was Jamaica's best game of the tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIidtJhiAmQ
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:04:44 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »
LOL

serious talk.

When first built, the HCS was called the National Stadium.  The name was then changed to honor Hasley Crawford.

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 09:04:51 AM »
LOL

serious talk.

When first built, the HCS was called the National Stadium.  The name was then changed to honor Hasley Crawford.

Well aware of that...but the National Stadium was built in either 1979 or 1980...that Idia game wa splayed then at that time period early 80's and they were barefooted adn in the National Stadium?

Offline beau-brummel

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 09:39:16 AM »
Let's not forget that in 74, only 16 teams made it to the WC. So you can say those teams all made it to the 1/8 finals. It wasn't until 1978 that it was increased to 32 teams. Also Cuba never "qualified" for a WC. Cuba went to the WC in 1938 by invitation as it was commonly done back then and not by qualification.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:24:14 AM by beau-brummel »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
LOL

serious talk.

alluh really serious with that one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_FIFA_World_Cup

check it here

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 10:48:19 AM »
LOL

serious talk.

Well aware of that...but the National Stadium was built in either 1979 or 1980...that Idia game wa splayed then at that time period early 80's and they were barefooted adn in the National Stadium?

yes, from what I remembered the entire team was NOT barefooted, just about 4 or 5 players. The ones that were barefooted had some kinda tape around their ankles and instep.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »
LOL

serious talk.

yes, from what I remembered the entire team was NOT barefooted, just about 4 or 5 players. The ones that were barefooted had some kinda tape around their ankles and instep.

Was at this game. Doh remember any of them being barefoot, nor anything in the press about that. Clearly remember the bullets though, that and Trinidad Indians blatantly and loudly supporting India over Trinidad, shocking my young uninitiated sensibilities back then.
The team wasn't bad. They won the game and went on to Guyana. After that they set up a return game because of the interest generated and TnT won. If they were barefoot, then there certainly could be something to be said for that because was level bullet they were sharing.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
LOL

serious talk.

King George V

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »

Jamaica (CONCACAF #3) 2-1 victory over Japan (AFC #1) was a victory in itself for CONCACAF on a whole, given the USA's poor showing at France '98.
Apart from the Japan Game, Jamaica put on a very creditable first half performance against Croatia. In fact, Jamaica had a goal denied by a defender who cleared off the line off a Onandi Lowe header early in the game. The first half ended 1-1, with Croatia only marginally better in terms of scoring opportunities (Croatia hit the post twice in the first half). I think that was Jamaica's best game of the tournament.

Almost doh really count doh. Same way Jamaica almost score, is the same way Croatia almost score twice. And you could argue that against England, Terry clearing off the line was the best chance off the match until Crouch pull Sancho hair. ::)

Boss stop trying so hard. I on your side on this one, in case you didn't realise.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »
LOL

serious talk.

King George V

Before HCS, it was mainly the Oval, especially for big games. But Geo V, Arima, Skinner park, Mahaica, Palo Seco, Apex and Guaracara have been used in "smaller" games.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »
LOL

serious talk.

Was at this game. Doh remember any of them being barefoot, nor anything in the press about that. Clearly remember the bullets though, that and Trinidad Indians blatantly and loudly supporting India over Trinidad, shocking my young uninitiated sensibilities back then.
The team wasn't bad. They won the game and went on to Guyana. After that they set up a return game because of the interest generated and TnT won. If they were barefoot, then there certainly could be something to be said for that because was level bullet they were sharing.

I did NOT see that game but heard about it. I heard we lost the first and then India went to Guyana. I don't know what that score was. I thought India game back and played a second game. What was that score?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:27:04 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>