March 28, 2024, 07:06:37 PM

Author Topic: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread  (Read 82092 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »
LOUDDDDDDDDD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS ANAND

Sir Gavin made an honest mistake—AG
Leah Sorias
Published: 5 Nov 2010
Leah Sorias
Cabinet has approved the nomination of a new judge to solely chair the Commission of Enquiry into Clico and the Hindu Credit Union (HCU), after the previous nominee, retired British High Court judge Sir Gavin Lightman admitted he forgot about representing Clico and businessman Lawrence Duprey in a court matter 20 years ago. Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said yesterday that deputy chief justice of the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Sir Anthony Colman is the new nominee for commissioner of the inquiry.

In a news conference at his St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, office, Ramlogan said Lightman’s mistake was an honest one, as he was in his 70s and simply could not remember an incident that occurred 20 years ago. He said he did not think Lightman set out to mislead him. “This is not something that could be foreseen or predicted or far less avoided,” he said. “It’s like interviewing someone for a job, and when you are interviewing someone for a job, it would depend on the experience and recollection.” Lightman’s involvement in a Clico matter was first raised in the Senate by PNM senator Pennelope Beckles-Robinson two weeks ago.

Earlier this week, she provided documents to support her claims. She said because of this “conflict of interest,” Lightman should not be allowed to conduct the inquiry. Ramlogan said after the allegations, he immediately contacted Lightman, and Lightman dismissed it as being without foundation. “In my initial meeting with him, I would have asked if there was any potential for any conflict of interest, be it direct or indirect, and having heard from Sir Gavin that he was not so conflicted, I then indicated to the media that the allegations were baseless,” the AG said.

Ramlogan said yesterday that he was satisfied with his own investigations that Lightman did, in fact, appear for Clico. “Because of the relation I have with Beckles, I called her on Sunday at her home and I said if you are holding firm to your position, let’s discuss what you know, as you didn’t provide a time frame,” he said. He said he spoke with some people who might have been involved in the matter 20 years ago, and was satisfied that Lightman appeared for Clico. “That does not mean Sir Lightman is conflicted as a matter of law,” Ramlogan said.

He said because of the importance of the Clico inquiry to the nation, and having regard to the extent of the Clico fiasco and because he did not want to taint the integrity of the commission of enquiry, he decided to take a note to Cabinet yesterday, seeking an alternative commissioner. Ramlogan said this was done after a discussion with Lightman. “Sir Gavin has nobly and honourably accepted that he erred and having given careful consideration he now indicated, by way of e-mail, that he wished to decline the appointment,” he said.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:35:52 AM by Flex »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Re: LOUDDDDDDDDD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS ANAND
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:10:02 AM »
Only misprints and honest mistakes from this Pee Pee Gov't
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
weary ah missin someting...why yuh puttin this on anand back

Is not de englishman to blame since he pretend he forget
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:20:43 AM »

What's the process for selection?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:25:36 AM »

What's the process for selection?

...or better yet, why is he making excuses... insisting that it was an "honest mistake"?  I willing tuh give "Sir Gavin" the benefit of the doubt if he said "I don't think so.... 'CLICO' doesn't really ring a bell".  But the man flat out come out and say that the accusations were "without foundation". 

Another thing Anand deserve blame for is that he still had an obligation to check for himself, instead he just take the man word for it and denounced the inquiry as "baseless".  If Penny could get she hands on this information why couldn't de Attorney General for crissakes?  What he there for?

Joker.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »

True is Patos fault
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:37:56 PM »
Sir Gavin made an honest mistake—AG
Leah Sorias
Published: 5 Nov 2010
Leah Sorias

Cabinet has approved the nomination of a new judge to solely chair the Commission of Enquiry into Clico and the Hindu In a news conference at his St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, office, Ramlogan said Lightman’s mistake was an honest one, as he was in his 70s and simply could not remember an incident that occurred 20 years ago. He said he did not think Lightman set out to mislead him. “This is not something that could be foreseen or predicted or far less avoided,” he said. “It’s like interviewing someone for a job, and when you are interviewing someone for a job, it would depend on the experience and recollection.” Lightman’s involvement in a Clico matter was first raised in the Senate by PNM senator Pennelope Beckles-Robinson two weeks ago.

Ah not sure how to interpret that. Is anything wrong in that statement or the entire paragraph. To me that not sounding correct.  :-\
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 07:29:02 AM »
I really can't stand this guy !!! He seems like a SNAKE !!!!!!

Can any of the locals here tell us how is he doing so far as AG ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »

A few things just off the top of my head

1. Week 1 on the job was heard reporting on Laptops for Children

2. Articulated an agenda that was virtually identical to a list of grievances of Devant Maharaj and the GOPIO/ITEC.

3. Publicly attacked and threatened former Commissioner of Police James Philbert  about securing the Guanapo Heights site. Philbert's contract was incidentally  rescinded with a month left.

4. Hired a team of mainly his friends and other associates to investigate the financial operations of a number of state companies at a cost of $11 million(i think)

5. When criticised of this move by Rowley  he proceed to ask facetiously if he should hire his enemies instead . Furthermore he mislead Parliament that PNM Senators Hinds and Al Wari received millions of dollars in state briefs.

6. Delayed the extradition order of Steve and Ish allowing them enough time to appeal and stay the extradition.

7. Played badcop in a goodcop/badcop double team with the PM against Gibbs to come up with a plan for crime.

8. Investigations into Sunways and Hart ongoing. I nearly forget that he boof police for letting Hart go when there hasn't been a charge laid.

9. Investigations into UTT ongoing.

10. Sundry other investigations ongoing. No charges laid by police.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:28:27 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »

2. Articulated an agenda that was virtually identical to a list of grievances of Devant Maharaj and the GOPIO/ITEC.

3. Publicly attacked and threatened former Commissioner of Police James Philbert  about securing the Guanapo Heights site. Philbert's contract was incidentally  rescinded with a month left.

4. Hired a team of mainly his friends and other associates to investigate the financial operations of a number of state companies at a cost of $11 million(i think)

5. When criticised of this move by Rowley  he proceed to ask facetiously if he should hire his enemies instead . Furthermore he mislead Parliament that PNM Senators Hinds and Al Wari received millions of dollars in state briefs.

6. Delayed the extradition order of Steve and Ish allowing them enough time to appeal and stay the extradition.

7. Played badcop in a goodcop/badcop double team with the PM against Gibbs to come up with a plan for crime.

8. Investigations into Sunways and Hart ongoing. I nearly forget that he boof police for letting Hart go when there hasn't been a charge laid.

U 4get seeking foriegn advice 4 evryting from Jack and he both wuk 2 d CA fiasco.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
He tell the Police 1st Division officers, that "Crime Watch" solving more crime than them  :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
He tell the Police 1st Division officers, that "Crime Watch" solving more crime than them  :devil:

YEP

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »

He is a consummate asshole. I tried to figure out what he was hoping to achieve with that statement and came to that conclusion.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »

He is a consummate asshole. I tried to figure out what he was hoping to achieve with that statement and came to that conclusion.

D GOPIO list confirm dat 4 me.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »
AG Plain Plain playing d ass...he definately...losing he feathers fast...

soon he goe be bear breasted....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 05:54:56 AM »

Yuh forget the man he hire to hold the one man Commission of Enquiry into CLICO.  When told the man had an active role in CLICO's battle with Republic back in de 80's, he laid into Penny/Rowley (cyar remember who raised the issue initially on the PNM side).  When Penny eventually bring the proof he boil down like a good oil down. 

He does behave like a country bookie come to town....I feel asshole is too nice a description.
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 08:11:28 AM »

Yuh forget the man he hire to hold the one man Commission of Enquiry into CLICO.  When told the man had an active role in CLICO's battle with Republic back in de 80's, he laid into Penny/Rowley (cyar remember who raised the issue initially on the PNM side).  When Penny eventually bring the proof he boil down like a good oil down. 

He does behave like a country bookie come to town....I feel asshole is too nice a description.

Is Penny who raise d issue is neva thought he sufferin from.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 08:40:07 AM »

Ahhhh, there it is. His impudence belies his former profession and he is decidedly crass when statesmanship is required. And I don't think age issue. He's just a hotheaded asshole not suited to be AG at all.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:31:16 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
Attitude reflects leadership

While we seek to criticise the individual and rightfully so, I think what we are seeing from this bunch of politicians are a truer reflection of our society and some of the callousness of our people. We try to sell ourselves as friendly and warm and open to all persons wanting a piece of our experience. Is that really the case?

Back when our PM was making diplomatic blunders in the wake of the hurricanes that decimated our neighbours I listened on the airwaves from citizens who actually supported her statements and thought to myself then that maybe I'm being too idealistic and less realistic. It is established that countries like the US do not have friends, only interests but the tennants of diplomacy have always established a level of respect throughout whatever issues are being navigated. I looked at a country like Barbados, a nation that was crtiticised because of their opposition to CSME but we applaud their ascention to first world status. Clearly they are seeking their own developmental interests and seem to be making strides in acheiving their goals. In summary I think its a fair position that we should always look to pursue our interests but we must always seek to couch our words and actions in the realm of diplomacy.

We always want our politicians to conduct themselves with a level of dignity and class even if they may lack some of the competencies. The partnership is heralded as a government of the people selected by the people, well this is what we voted for not so?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »

This particular man is a real opportunist, I wish somebody could reveal how much times he was reported to the law association and then the cases were dropped. He was always bad paying poor indian people that he win cases for.
You know in most cases the attorneys are awarded the monies on behalf on their clients and they would take out their fees and then give the client the balance ?
Well this was the source of the issue

But then maybe I'm talking bout somebody else
Yuh know how they spying.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
I am more curious to see what the DPP will do in the Dhansook case and the alleged perversion of justice concerning Franklin Khan and Eric Williams.

Also curious to hear Mr. Ramlogan's viewpoint on that issue as well.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
I am more curious to see what the DPP will do in the Dhansook case and the alleged perversion of justice concerning Franklin Khan and Eric Williams.

Also curious to hear Mr. Ramlogan's viewpoint on that issue as well.

i find that issue rather quiet..cant help but think that sumthin boilin in d background

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 07:44:55 AM »
I know his brother personally, he lives in NY and he is strong in the Hare Krishna fate, he even sells HK books on the streets. His attitude is very poor though. But you can tell they came from a brain family.

I think ?? Ramlogan had a brother who killed himself, but I'm not 100% sure.. they served time in the T&T military.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »
I know his brother personally, he lives in NY and he is strong in the Hare Krishna fate, he even sells HK books on the streets. His attitude is very poor though. But you can tell they came from a brain family.

I think ?? Ramlogan had a brother who killed himself, but I'm not 100% sure.. they served time in the T&T military.

They have an older brother (George I think was his name) who died about 4 years ago.  Don't think it was suicide though....ah think he just keeled over and died suddenly.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 06:31:55 AM »
WHERE'S THE GRAND PIANO?
AG calls on Manning to answer: ...It's not at the PM's residence or Diplomatic Centre
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/WHERE_S__THE__GRAND_PIANO_-113431284.html

Where the piano gone?

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan yesterday asked former prime minister Patrick Manning this question, saying that an expensive Bosendorfer piano cannot be found at the Prime Minister's official residence or Diplomatic Centre in St Ann's.

Speaking on a motion to amend the Anti-Corruption Act, Ramlogan disclosed that close to US$1 million (US$850,677 after a 33 per cent discount) was spent to purchase ten Bosendorfer pianos from Las Vegas, one of which is now missing.

Stressing on the corruption that took place under Ken Julien at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT), Ramlogan said that Julien, in 2008, brokered a deal with the president of Bosendorfer to supply ten pianos.

"Bosendorfer pianos, Mr Speaker, for those of us who are accustomed to the steelpan and the dholak and the majeera and the rhythm section... the Bosendorfer piano is the Rolls Royce of pianos in the world," Ramlogan said.

One piano, he said, called "the Strauss", was listed for US$114,215 and was delivered to the official Prime Minister's residence.

"I respect the member for San Fernando East, but I didn't realise that he was so multi-talented that he needed a piano in his house," said Ramlogan, as Government Minister Jack Warner quipped, "He (Manning) can't even play in the rain!"

An Opposition MP asked, "What is wrong with a piano?" Ramlogan shot back, "Nothing is wrong with a piano, but the day you could play a good chutney or calypso on it, come back and talk to me."

Manning sat quietly in his chair during the statement and subsequent cross-talk.

Ramlogan said: "I have asked Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar to search those premises to locate this grand piano, because all we know about is a lil Bob Marley music and a lil kaiso and calypso and chutney, that's all we listen to. But this grand piano, I want to ask the member for San Fernando East, sir, if you know where that piano is in the Diplomatic Centre and your former residence, can you please assist us?"

He added, "I don't know if it's behind the chapel, is it behind the gym? Tell me, sir, I don't know where it is. If you can tell us where it is housed, it will be very very helpful to us, sir. Lord Kitch used to sing where the money gone, today we have to ask where the piano gone."

The other pianos, he said, were placed at the residence of UTT Prof Mittens, the UTT Maritime campus, Pt Lisas campus, San Fernando campus and the O'Meara campus.

Ramlogan said three were transferred to the National Academy for the Performing Arts and two still remain in packages. "We considered this to be a most shameful and disgraceful wastage of public funds," he said.

Ramlogan also disclosed that UTT, according to the interim report of an investigation into that institution, was rife with corrupt practices under Julien.

He read from the report and outlined several corrupt practices that took place—in particular, the leasing of a guest house in Aripo at $50,000 a month, which Manning's spiritual adviser, Rev Juliana Pena, had stayed in for a year.

Ramlogan said the company from which the guest house was leased—Consolidated Services Ltd—did not even have the legal title for the place.

"Technically speaking, UTT may be very well trespassing on that property and paying $50,000 to so do," he said.

He added that in addition to this, some $5 million was spent fixing the guest house and in total $14.4 million was spent on leasing and repairs.

Ramlogan also noted that professors at UTT were paid huge salaries. He said a tailor from London, who hardly spent time in Trinidad, was paid $116,912 and when his contract ended he collected a "bonus" of $240,000. He added that Julien's contract gave him all kinds of luxuries, including $37,000 for landscaping services and US$30,000 in medical expenses

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »
so with everything else that is goin on in dis place, things that are more pressing and requires his attention, this is what the AG using his time to do?  ::)
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
Do they know where the piano really is?

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »
Do they know where the piano really is?

Patos told Anand, to ask Kamla where it is because he said when he left it was in the diplomatic centre

he also said after he moved out, furniture and equipment like the CCTV cameras were moved out from the residence

never a dull moment
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
so with everything else that is goin on in dis place, things that are more pressing and requires his attention, this is what the AG using his time to do?  ::)
These ppl really making it easy for ppl like jahgol and CO tuh fan the flames yes. why is it that they really not too concerned wid the issues @ hand? is only one setta petty squabbles and nit pickingoin they on. ::)

BTW, ah saw patos on CTNT news and he handled the ting quite gracefully. he said ramlogan don't even know what a grand piano looked like, so he had no idea what he was lookin for :devil: BC he's never seen a bosendorf.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »

To be honest I does be on dey case but I doh have a problem with this... malfeasance in public office to me is a serious charge.  I actually agreee with them that spending $1 million US ($600 million TT) on pianos is extremely wasteful.

What I DO have a problem with though is the level of the discourse in Parliament.  I know that 'fatigue', picong and throwing talk is part ah we culture, but I really don't find it necessary in parliament.  To me it does nothing to move the issues forward and only threatens to undermine decorum... and this applies to both sides.  I don't think Anand tweaking Manning about him being multi-talented, and if it behind de chapel and this talk necessary.  I don't find Jack comment about Manning cyah even play in the rain necessary, nor Manning's response that Anand wouldn't know a piano if he saw one talk necessary.

That kinda pettiness to me eh belong in Parliament... but what do I know?  Another thing... all this talk about corruption under Ken Julien watch... then why yuh do just charge him??  You wasting down a man's reputation when yuh have power to charge him if you really believe he engaged in corruption involving public funds?

1]; } ?>