April 16, 2024, 04:10:55 AM

Author Topic: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread  (Read 82476 times)

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
AG TO APOLOGISE
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Bakes this is what I was referring to when I spoke about the similarities of talk by Manning and Anand, both violated house privileges.
AG TO APOLOGISE
By NALINEE SEELAL and CLINT CHAN TACK Wednesday, January 19 2011

click on pic to zoom in« prev photo next photo »ATTORNEY GENERAL (AG) Anand Ramlogan will apologise in the House of Representatives either today or on Friday for statements made in the House last Wednesday that one of ten Bosendorfer pianos purchased by the former PNM government was missing and questioning former prime minister Patrick Manning about the whereabouts of the piano.

A day later, the piano was found in the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s.

Ramlogan’s apology comes as the PNM moves to raise a matter of privilege against him for misleading the House on that issue.

Government sources yesterday said Government Chief Whip, Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal has been assigned to advise the AG on the manner in which he should frame his apology to the House.

In the wake of his statement, Ramlogan insisted he never accused Manning of taking the piano and saw no need to apologise for his remarks. Ramlogan maintained the issue was the wastage of taxpayers’ monies to buy the pianos.

Newsday understands senior Government members felt embarrassed when it was disclosed that the piano had never gone missing and were disappointed that Ramlogan was unwilling to apologise.

They noted the example of Justice Minister Herbert Volney who apologised to the House for statements made in relation to the provision of a residence for a member of the Judiciary during the Budget debate on September 16, 2010. Volney was spared being referred to the Privileges Committee after he apologised. Government hopes to avoid Ramlogan being subject of a motion of privilege and he has been advised to apologise.

“We are all aware that the AG is new to public life and he needs guidance, so we are all going to pitch in and assist him on his future statements,” a Government source said yesterday.

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley yesterday said any one of the party’s 12 MPs in the House can raise a matter of privilege against Ramlogan but he did not know whether this would happen today or at Friday’s sitting of the House. Rowley disclosed he was focussing on preparing a motion on the adjournment of today’s sitting of the House that will deal with the alleged behaviour of Police Service Commission chairman Nizam Mohammed towards a police officer last year when Mohammed was reportedly cited for a traffic violation.

Parliament sources yesterday said Diego Martin North/East MP Colm Imbert and Point Fortin MP Paula Gopee-Scoon requested copies of Ramlogan’s contribution in the House from Hansard.

Contacted yesterday, Imbert confirmed he requested a copy of Ramlogan’s contribution while Gopee-Scoon said she had not. Imbert said, “If he has committed a contempt (that is, the deliberate misleading of the House), I will file a motion of privilege, but if he has merely been irresponsible and reckless, he may be able to escape the Privileges Committee.”

“I have read the Hansard record of the AG’s introduction in the debate on the legislative proposals for an anti-corruption commission and I have also read the end of his winding-up.

I am still to receive the first part of his winding-up from the Parliament, but from what I have read so far, he definitely insinuated that a piano worth approximately $1 million had gone missing from the Prime Minister’s residence and he also insinuated that Mr Manning might know of its whereabouts,” Imbert continued.

Imbert added that although Ramlogan “sailed very close to the wind, from what I have read so far, he stopped short of saying that Mr Manning stole the piano.”

“When I receive the last part of his Hansard, I will know whether he has in fact committed a contempt of the House or just merely been reckless.”

Contacted yesterday, Deputy Speaker Dr Fuad Khan said he has not received correspondence from any PNM MP about raising a matter of privilege against Ramlogan at today’s sitting which begins at 1.30 pm. Khan reiterated that if such a request comes before him, he will deal with it.

Khan is deputising for Speaker Wade Mark who was due to return last night from London.

Should the matter be raised on Friday, Mark would recuse himself to allow Khan to adjudicate on the matter since Khan was the presiding officer in the House last Wednesday when Ramlogan made his statement.

Yesterday other PNM parliamentarians said the privilege issue needed to be carefully examined and Ramlogan’s behaviour left a lot to be desired. Speaking to Newsday during the tea break in the Senate, Opposition Senator Pennelope Beckles said she was aware that Imbert was saying that Ramlogan’s contribution needed to be read carefully to determine what he actually said.

Noting the piano has since been found at the Diplomatic Centre where it was originally, Beckles said, “The people in the Lower House will do a careful reading, certainly to ensure that if a decision is made it’s the right one.”

Opposition Senator Fitzgerald Hinds said he would support any decision made by the caucus to raise a matter of privilege against Ramlogan. Outside of that, Hinds described Ramlogan’s behaviour as that of “a hotheaded politician not making a basic inquiry.”

“A piano is not a ten cent coin or a pin that could really be hidden any place. We do not expect that kind of behaviour from the AG of the Republic, The AG holds very serious office. Hiss duty is to uphold the law and the Constitution.

Opposition Senator Faris Al Rawi described Ramlogan’s actions as “the continuation of irresponsibility on his part.” “He who alleges must prove,” Al-Rawi stated. La Brea MP Fitzgerald Jeffery described Ramlogan’s actions in the House last week as “a political fiasco.” “We know what was inferred,” Jeffery stated.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: AG TO APOLOGISE
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:04 PM »
Bakes this is what I was referring to when I spoke about the similarities of talk by Manning and Anand, both violated house privileges.

I disagree... and I didn't read any reference to Manning being referred to the Privileges Committee.  Manning wondered how the house could be constructed on the salaries of the Bissessars and called on the PM to disclose her finances.  The nature of her office and the possibility of a quid pro quo to me are distinguishable grounds relative to the silliness and inaccuracy of the implications brought to fore by Ramlogan. 

Again, for me the house issue is a non-issue, absent of hard evidence I not about to sanction MPs forcing other MPs to disclose where they get money to build their homes.  But to me I can see how it might be in play.  To accuse another member by implication of theft when there was never any theft, and the fact that there never was any theft could readily have been determined by greater due diligence, is the height of irresponsibility and recklessness.  It borders on abuse of said Parliamentary privileges if it hasn't actually crossed it.  More important to me than the question of whether he directly accused Manning or did not accuse him, is the fact that the charge was just so without merit to even begin with.

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »
Bakes, Manning implied that PM Kamla came upon the money for her house from illegal sources, additionally, he claimed the house was 300million.  He HAS been referred to the Privileges Committee.

Both Manning for the Kamla House statements and Anil for misleading the house on Minaj concert.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:20:30 PM by Die_Hard »

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2011, 11:52:38 PM »
Rowley vows to take on Anil, Anand

By Carol Matroo Tuesday, January 18 2011

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley has gone on the offensive again against two Government ministers saying their conduct in Parliament has been scandalous and “low class”.

Rowley says Sport and Youth Affairs Minister Anil Roberts and Attorney General Anand Ramlogan are setting poor standards of behaviour in their effort to “buss mark” on the former PNM administration.

Responding to allegations made by Roberts in Parliament last Friday, that he had granted approval for Joseph Rahael’s building in Glencoe in 2003, Rowley said as a Government minister Roberts’ conduct was “reprehensible.” “Since he has raised the matter in the Parliament, I will respond to him in the Parliament. There is absolutely no truth to what he has said. His conduct is quite scandalous. He represents a kind of Government where Government ministers believe that their job is to vilify, to lie, to ‘buss mark’ and to expose wrongdoing,” Rowley said.

Rowley said that was how People’s Partnership ministers saw their duty and it was only a matter of time before they became a general nuisance to the population. “I think that Anil Roberts has reached that stage,” Rowley said. He spoke to reporters during a walkabout of Durata Gardens, Sangre Grande, last evening. On the issue of the “lost and found” piano at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s, the Opposition Leader said Ramlogan did not have the class to apologise.

Rowley said there were too many intelligent people in TT and that people wanted to be represented by people of class.

“But what is worrisome, is that this is no ordinary citizen, no ordinary office-holder. This is the AG, the person who is supposed to protect each and every one of us under the Constitution, under the laws, who swore an oath of office to treat fairly with all manner of persons, without fear, without malice, without ill-will, and to stand up in the Parliament and virtually accuse a former prime minister (Patrick Manning) of stealing a piano...and when he’s exposed as being ridiculous in the matter, he says ‘well I don’t care.’ He might not care but we care,” Rowley said.

He added, “the AG has demonstrated time and time again, that class and Anand Ramlogan don’t go together.”

On allegations that Emerald Plaza, owned by Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner, did not receive approval for construction at the Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation, Rowley said he did not want to comment, as he did not have the facts.

However, he said he would not be surprised if this were so, since many buildings in TT were constructed without approval.
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,134241.html

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2011, 08:20:57 PM »
Thank you Mr Impulse, I could not have said it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkwlB8jeEmA
lol now come to post this

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
Only PM can make me apologise—AG
Published: Thu, 2011-01-20 18:55
RHONDA RAMBALLY

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan says only the Prime Minister can instruct him to make an apology.
Ramlogan said he had no intention of apologising on the issue of his recent statements concerning a so-called “missing” piano from the Diplomatic Centre because an apology was only warranted when a person did something wrong.

Ramlogan said in Parliament last week that the piano had been missing from the Diplomatic Centre. It was subsequently discovered that it had been there all along. Ramlogan said an apology was needed for the purchase of ten Bosendorfer pianos by the previous administration which was done unknown to the nation.

“With respect to the apology issue, what I would first say is this...the first port of call for an apology will be an apology for the misuse and vulgar abuse of public funds to purchase ten grand pianos at a time when the country didn’t have enough beds in the hospitals and when that apology is given to the people of this country, then any other apology can be considered in an appropriate time,” Ramlogan said.

He was responding to questions by the media after he presented instruments of appointments to the board of the Law Reform Commission at his ministry on St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.
It was reported in yesterday’s Newsday that Ramlogan was expected to apologise in the House of Representatives yesterday (Wednesday) or tomorrow (Friday), after Housing Minister Roodal Moonilal was assigned to advise him on the way he should apologise.

Ramlogan, however, said he had no intention of apologising and the spotlight was the abuse of taxpayers’ money. He said he had received support from his Cabinet colleagues on the issue. He said there was nothing wrong in asking former prime minister Patrick Manning for the location of the piano.
“There is absolutely nothing wrong in asking the person who secretly purchased it and would know where he left it to assist us in telling us where it is,” Ramlogan said.

“The fact of the matter is that the piano was supposed to be at the residence and there is no piano at the residence, so Mr Manning quite rightly and quite properly, in my view, indicated where he left the piano which is at the Diplomatic Centre which is not part of the Prime Minister’s residence and that’s the end of the matter.” During yesterday’s Lower House session, Ramlogan indirectly allBill and Indictable Offences Act.

He said he called his loved ones everyday whatever they were studying, whether it was ballet classes or not. Sustaining picong from PNM MP Colm Imbert, the AG also said even those who could not play the piano, if they were taking piano lessons, “...we should check up on them.” When PNM MPs heckled him further, he pelted back a remark about teacups to the Opposition side.

Imbert awaits Hansard records

Imbert said yesterday that he was still in the process of obtaining the Hansard parliamentary records of Ramlogan’s statement on the piano issue. Imbert said after he obtained this, the PNM would decide how it would deal with the matter. Imbert was speaking before yesterday’s Parliament session.

Earlier this week, the PNM’s parliamentary caucus met to decide whether Ramlogan should be taken to the Privileges Committee for misleading the House last Wednesday over his statements about a missing piano. Ramlogan, however, said the Opposition had misperceived its role and did not understand his statements.

“The fact that I may have asked Mr Manning with some assistance for the whereabouts of a piano he purchased with taxpayers’ money that nobody knew about is a matter that I consider appropriate,” he said. He said the Hansard would show what was reported and that the manner in which it was reported was not what was intended when his speech was made.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2011, 07:49:23 AM »
canal politics at best

if i was d professor dat lecture to these fellows and see how dem using dey education...i would seriously have to think twice about changing my curriculum
Ah say it, how ah see it

truetrini

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »
canal politics at best

if i was d professor dat lecture to these fellows and see how dem using dey education...i would seriously have to think twice about changing my curriculum
dais YOUR party.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
Ramlogan is this government's village washerwoman.All the baccanal and attitude except nothing ever gets cleaned.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
Ramlogan is this government's village washerwoman.All the baccanal and attitude except nothing ever gets cleaned.

I was really surprised when de next one say that Ramlogan was going to apologize and that he new to politics and needed mentoring.  I say whey boy, like Anand boil down fast.  This about face just shows the level of dysfunction in that party... everybody is they own boss.  If the PM have to force you to apologize then what is the point?  I hope they refer he ass tuh de Privileges Committee... hopefully it will hasten his departure.

Could you imagine the late Selwyn Richardson carrying on like this?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »

I was really surprised when de next one say that Ramlogan was going to apologize and that he new to politics and needed mentoring.  I say whey boy, like Anand boil down fast.  This about face just shows the level of dysfunction in that party... everybody is they own boss.  If the PM have to force you to apologize then what is the point?  I hope they refer he ass tuh de Privileges Committee... hopefully it will hasten his departure.

I couldn’t even imagine Ramesh Lawrence-Maharaj behaving like this. 

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »

Jah, yuh take the words right off mih keyboard!!!......imagine this thing eh??  Ramesh looking like ah rose next to this country bookie.....steups!!  ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
Manning should just STEUPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS after d apologize but then again we might get a Volney type apology.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »

Jah, yuh take the words right off mih keyboard!!!......imagine this thing eh??  Ramesh looking like ah rose next to this country bookie.....steups!!  ::)

Browns ah iz ah country bookie yuh know    :'(
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
we will facking rise biatches.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
Did any of these politicians declare their assets after or before swearing in as ministers in parliment ? i thought that was something that they had to do at some point in time .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2011, 02:06:29 AM »

Browns ah iz ah country bookie yuh know    :'(

Elan boy, I consider mih self ah country girl.  And he putting all ah we country ppl to shame..... :-[
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »
Did any of these politicians declare their assets after or before swearing in as ministers in parliment ? i thought that was something that they had to do at some point in time .

yes they did

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: PIANO FOUND!
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
LIke Manning was on point!  Like dat dumb @#$%^# eh know what ah piano look like? Looks like dis is de Peoples Partnershit.

PIANO FOUND!
...at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann's
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM ECT )

The grand piano has been found —in the very place it was alleged to have been missing from.

National Security adviser to the Prime Minister, Gary Griffith, told the Express by phone yesterday that the piano was found after checks of the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann's.

"It (the piano) seemed to be deliberately tucked and hidden away. It was covered with layers of cloth and appears to have never been used," Griffith told the Express.

allyuh sure they find the piano?

Look what dey find on a sandbar in Miami ....

Mysterious grand piano shows up on a Miami sandbar
Published On Tue Jan 25 2011

A U.S. Coast Guard boat passes near a grand piano on a sandbar in Biscayne Bay, Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011 in Miami.
Wilfredo Lee/AP
Associated Press

MIAMI — A grand piano recently showed up on a sandbar in Miami’s Biscayne Bay, about 180 meters from condominiums on the shore.

The piano, which weighs nearly 300 kilograms, was placed at the highest spot along the sandbar so it doesn’t get underwater during high tide.

While officials aren’t sure how it got there, they know it won’t be going anywhere unless it becomes a hazard to wildlife or boaters.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Jorge Pino says the agency is not responsible for moving such items, The Miami Herald newspaper reports. And, he adds, unless it becomes a navigational hazard, the U.S. Coast Guard won’t get involved.

For now, the piano has become a fancy roost for seagulls.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: PIANO FOUND!
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
LIke Manning was on point!  Like dat dumb @#$%^# eh know what ah piano look like? Looks like dis is de Peoples Partnershit.

PIANO FOUND!
...at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann's
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Jan 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM ECT )

The grand piano has been found —in the very place it was alleged to have been missing from.

National Security adviser to the Prime Minister, Gary Griffith, told the Express by phone yesterday that the piano was found after checks of the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann's.

"It (the piano) seemed to be deliberately tucked and hidden away. It was covered with layers of cloth and appears to have never been used," Griffith told the Express.

allyuh sure they find the piano?

Look what dey find on a sandbar in Miami ....

Mysterious grand piano shows up on a Miami sandbar
Published On Tue Jan 25 2011

A U.S. Coast Guard boat passes near a grand piano on a sandbar in Biscayne Bay, Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011 in Miami.
Wilfredo Lee/AP
Associated Press

MIAMI — A grand piano recently showed up on a sandbar in Miami’s Biscayne Bay, about 180 meters from condominiums on the shore.

The piano, which weighs nearly 300 kilograms, was placed at the highest spot along the sandbar so it doesn’t get underwater during high tide.

While officials aren’t sure how it got there, they know it won’t be going anywhere unless it becomes a hazard to wildlife or boaters.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Jorge Pino says the agency is not responsible for moving such items, The Miami Herald newspaper reports. And, he adds, unless it becomes a navigational hazard, the U.S. Coast Guard won’t get involved.

For now, the piano has become a fancy roost for seagulls.

:rotfl:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2011, 05:54:51 AM »
Here we go again with this country bookie AG..... ::) ::)

Shut up; let the law take its course

Only with the greatest difficulty is Trinidad and Tobago getting used to an Attorney General in the character of a loose cannon. Public tolerance must be in decline for as exalted a state official as the incumbent, who almost never opens his mouth but to misspeak himself.

Mr Ramlogan seems to have learned nothing from the latest embarrassing experience of three weeks ago, when he virtually accused former prime minister Patrick Manning of stealing a valuable grand piano from the Prime Minister's Residence. Even after the piano was found a few hours later, Mr Ramlogan was unrepentant.

In his latest example of unrestrained and insensitive venting, the Attorney General was heard at best second-guessing the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in the Senate on Tuesday. In remarks that could only be regarded as putting pressure on the DPP's decision-making in the Calder Hart case, Mr Ramlogan gratuitously and unhelpfully expanded upon a matter that should really be left alone by anyone in the Government: "Do I think Calder Hart should be charged? Absolutely!"

Speaking on the Prevention of Corruption Act, Mr Ramlogan himself outlined the procedure to be followed in any prosecution, ostensibly to clear up what he described as "a misunderstanding and a misconception in the population about the Government's ability to deliver justice." Criminal matters are investigated by the police, who send their findings to the DPP, and it is the DPP alone who decides whether criminal charges should then be brought.

Indeed, it is Mr Ramlogan who appears to be labouring under a misconception—about the nature of his own role. The very aggressiveness and outspokenness that made him a prominent member of the Bar in private practice count as a grievous liability in his present role. The duties of an attorney general require a more statesmanlike, or at least, diplomatic, use of those qualities.

Mr Ramlogan is, or should be, not merely the legal adviser to the Government but also an independent guardian of the public interest. He must therefore take care not to abuse the freedom of speech he enjoys as a Member of Parliament to infringe on the rights of citizens. The matter involving Calder Hart is not yet sub judice, but comments by an attorney general on a legal question could have considerable influence, if not on the DPP, then on the views of the public, from whom the jury in any consequent trial would be drawn.

Since he admitted he could not himself prosecute Mr Hart, Mr Ramlogan should know better, once again. He should shut up, and let the law take its course, rather than throwing his rhetorical weight around to no good effect, but certainly to lower public esteem for the office of the Attorney General

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Shut_up__let_the_law_take_its_course-115156319.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »
PEOPLE'S National Movement Opposition senators have urged Attorney General Anand Ramlogan to stop the old talk and go after Calder Hart, with one them even giving him legal advice on how to do so.

In his contribution to a motion to establish a joint select committee (JSC) to consider amendments to the Prevention of Corruption Act on Tuesday night, Opposition Senator Faris Al Rawi advised Ramlogan on how to catch Hart, who was the main subject of the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT) fiasco.

Said Al Rawi: "May I as an attorney, wearing a hat purely, now tell everybody in Trinidad and Tobago, there is a very simple mechanism if you want to get Calder Hart. You can lay a private indictable as a normal citizen in the Magistrates' Court. Lay whatever charges you think you can commit him on and proceed with the matter.

"So enough talk about Calder Hart. I could assist you in teaching you how it's done; the job is up to you because you need to find evidence; you need to prosecute that evidence; you may be taken over by the Director of Public Prosecutions who may not give you a feat for prosecuting yourself, but you can lay the charges. So get on with it and enough talk!"

The calls to go after Hart were reiterated by Opposition senators Pennelope Beckles-Robinson and Terrence Deyalsingh.

Ramlogan had said there was enough evidence to charge Hart with perjury but added this was in the hands of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). He reiterated he could not just bypass the DPP and go after Hart, adding the DPP's office must be respected.

Ramlogan also pointed out if it was as easy as Al Rawi stated, then records would show his predecessor, John Jeremie, was also trying to charge Hart.

"I wish to place on the record my support for work undertaken by my predecessor, Mr John Jeremie, in this regard," Ramlogan said.

He said Jeremie spent millions on external firms, including Bob Lindquist, in his pursuit of investigations into UDeCOTT and Hart.

"I should say that I should stand here in defence of Mr Jeremie and the former administration that they, too, wanted to charge Calder Hart, but they couldn't do it because it simply is not possible to do it in the way my learned friend suggests," Ramlogan said.

Ramlogan pledged full support to any action Al Rawi may take against Hart.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Al_Rawi_offers_AG_help_to_catch_Hart-115156284.html
 Up to now no charge.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »

Up to now no charge.

Not totally true. Thus far there has been Grand- Charging.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »

Up to now no charge.

:rotfl:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »

Up to now no charge.

The Hart fiasco and the Toruba Stadium are scadalous relics of the last government. The public craves justice and this government purported same. Without going through the catalog of errors,gaffes and outright acts of deception coming from this AG I want to note that this man was only a couple of weeks ago talking about a piano when these two gaping issues are being either neglected or being used as tune they can sing at will to deflect any given scandal.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2011, 02:02:30 PM »
WDMC!?! Why is this news?!?!  ???

MATCHMAKER
Newsday
By Andre Bagoo Tuesday, February 8 2011

HE MAY be the Cabinet’s chief adviser on law, but Attorney General Anand Ramlogan is also apparently used to advising on the topic of love.

On his profile page on Facebook, the social networking website, Ramlogan on Saturday issued a call for single Muslim men who believe they have what it takes to meet a close female friend.

“Looking for a decent Muslim boy for a decent, university educated, beautiful, Muslim girl (25),” Ramlogan, who is married, wrote as his profile status late Saturday evening. “Inbox me if you’re serious and ready to settle down!”

His Cupid-like activities came mere days before Valentine’s Day.

Facebook users throughout the country immediately went aflutter. Some questioned whether the Attorney General was involved in an arranged marriage and posted a series of comments in response to his open call.

One woman from Maraval wrote, “The decent, university-educated, beautiful Muslim girl, has she endorsed this idea? Has she said, by her own and sole discretion, that she is seeking a mate?”

Referring to the popular dating website eharmony.com, another woman, a Trinidadian resident in Florida, wrote: “I see you have your own eharmony.com. Can we call this Anand love line.com?”

A man of Sangre Grande commented, “Instead of looking for the ‘Lookhanee’ wuk, find a way to deal with Hart, Pena, Patos...etc.”

A lookhanee is a figure who, in Hindu tradition, normally intervenes during the courtship of couples.

Ramlogan responded by explaining why he was making his matchmaking call. “I am very serious! Doing well folks and yes it’s at her request. Just wanted to try something different I guess.”

“I have introduced five friends to their wives and they are quite happy,” Ramlogan revealed. He noted the proliferation of internet dating sites.

“Dating sites are flourishing and matching couples all over the world because the way we interface and interact is changing,” he said. “It is a challenge to meet Mr or Mrs Right for many.”

“The young lady in question is close to me and is fed up of jokers and guys whose thinking is one generation behind. This is not an arranged marriage but a genuine attempt to introduce my friend to someone nice and let them take it from there,” he said.

The Attorney General’s heartfelt appeal surprised many who are more accustomed to his talk of the State’s dogged pursuit of ex-Udecott chairman Calder Hart. Ramlogan’s comments may also raise eyebrows among members of the PNM, a party whose former leader Patrick Manning once famously billed its national policy as “a love thing”.

With regard to the practice of arranged marriage, the Attorney General said there are “many good arguments in both directions.” He noted that the dating scene today is different from what it used to be years ago. In particular, he said men and women are now looking for different things in a partner.

“Boys of today aren’t really being prepared for the girls of tomorrow,” he wrote. “Their concept of manhood is limited and skewed. There is a huge gap between what girls are looking for and what guys want/expect. Some men are looking for a girl in the mould of their mother whilst their sisters are looking for a guy that is different from their father.”

“I have written a paper on this subject, for those who may be interested,” the Attorney General added.

Ramlogan continued, “Far too many educated, intelligent, independent, classy and sexy girls have asked me to introduce them to decent guys who are serious about a relationship. They have had no luck on their own and are fed up and frustrated. Some have even resigned themselves to a single life but it is not by choice. Others have chosen to do so and some of them are happy. Many pretend to be happy by default.”

“Arranged marriages is another issue altogether and there are many good arguments in both directions. For now, I content myself in connecting people that are of similar minds and maturity in the hope that they can develop a friendship that may or may not lead to something lasting,” Ramlogan said.

As of yesterday afternoon there were 70 comments posted beneath Ramlogan’s entry, which has since been browsed by thousands of visitors to his Facebook profile since Saturday. Nineteen people also clicked a tab indicating that they “liked” the comment.

Ramlogan, 38, is married to Nalini Ramlogan and is a father of two children: Shweta, six, and Aneil, four. Nalini, like her husband, also has a Facebook account. However she did not comment on Facebook on her husband’s matchmaking activity.

Like many politicians who have embraced the internet, the Attorney General has often expressed some of his views on the social networking site, where he has 4,659 “Friends”.

But sometimes, the firebrand Attorney General – who got into hot water recently over a “missing” grand piano – reveals a far more prosaic side than the national population is accustomed to seeing. “Any good movies showing at MovieTowne?” he asked on Friday.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
How he supposed tuh investigate corruption and update he Facebook status at de same time... allyuh be fair tuh de man nuh.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »
'Unsuitable' PNM appointment
Anand hits back:
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

AG going witch hunting ,tit for tat politics .

Story Created: Feb 8, 2011 at 11:55 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Feb 8, 2011 at 11:55 PM ECT )

As Government continues to grapple with the fallout from the Reshmi Ramnarine affair, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan yesterday accused the former PNM government of making an unsuitable appointment for Director of the Financial Intelligence Unit, in the person of David West.

Speaking in the Senate on the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) Amendment bill, Ramlogan slammed the appointment of attorney David West as director.

Ramlogan said the legislation contemplated that the FIU would be an independent body, not susceptible to undue to political interference. Furthermore, he said, the director, according to the legislation, was supposed to be someone in the public system, "known and respected within the public service". However, the Attorney General said the appointment represented a "glaring" conflict of interest, since West was an attorney in private practice who was a legal consultant "on a monthly retainer" from the Attorney General's office.

"So here it is you had someone who was not a public officer, selected by the PNM Cabinet to receive confidential financial information from financial institutions and the person reports directly, wearing a different hat, to the Attorney General of the very administration and all along at the same time, being in private practice," Ramlogan said.

"He reported to the Attorney General as a consultant for the Central Authority and at the same time in private practice, he was in a position of determining in his discretion whether information received and analysed by international financial FIU should be submitted for further investigation to the Commissioner of Police or the Director of Public Prosecutions."

The AG added, "I cast no aspersions on Mr West. Mr West may very well have been, I daresay, is a competent attorney at law. But what we could not do is to put Mr West in the unenviable, embarrassing and even illegal position of appointing him to serve as the Director of the FIU... statutory duties that Parliament clearly intended to invest in an independent person, as opposed to someone who had a boss in the person of the Attorney General, who is a member of the executive political arm."

PNM Senator Fitzgerald Hinds rose to ask the Attorney General whether he was aware that West worked in the public sector for many years during confidential important work, up until the time he was appointed as Director. Hinds also said he had heard no negative comments about West's performance.

Ramlogan said Hinds missed the point that according to the legislation, the director must be a public serving officer, not someone on contract, reporting to the Attorney General, a politically appointed person. "They (the PNM) undermined the Financial Intelligence Act...Mr West was not able in law to concurrently perform all three functions (given to him)," Ramlogan thundered.

Hinds rejoined that the Attorney General should perhaps confine himself to matchmaking.

"I understand he is in a loveless party and if he feels he could get love on this side ...," Ramlogan said.

"I want to assure you that I am not even half interested in your kind of love!" Hinds shot back.

Ramlogan said the PNM had the unmitigated gall to come and point fingers, when it failed to take the necessary actions to make Trinidad and Tobago financially compliant in joining the global fight against money laundering. He said in February 2010, this country was placed on a list of country with strategic AML CFT (Anti-Money laundering and combating of financial terrorism) deficiencies
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2011, 10:26:53 AM »
Hinds rejoined that the Attorney General should perhaps confine himself to matchmaking.

"I understand he is in a loveless party and if he feels he could get love on this side ...," Ramlogan said.

"I want to assure you that I am not even half interested in your kind of love!" Hinds shot back.

Well yes,,them fellahs doin a full bore comedy act oui

That facebook ting go be in somebody kaiso dis year
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »

Well yes,,them fellahs doin a full bore comedy act oui
That facebook ting go be in somebody kaiso dis year

Since this government got elected I declared that the Parliament Channel have more comedy than Comedy Central.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

1]; } ?>