March 28, 2024, 05:17:27 AM

Author Topic: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread  (Read 82076 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread
« Reply #300 on: November 22, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »
Me ent holding no brief for the AG, but I would really like the three aggrieved lawyers to come out and say how much they were actually paid.

Does it matter though? If Ramlogan say they get pay $3million and they say no, only to find out that they got paid $1.5 million - $2million even, then what?

Doesn't matter...is just to bring the evidence to show that the AG talking shit.

Well just divide the figures....they stated it indirectly. One even used a very obtuse number in 184%..and although it says "approximately" it still gives you an idea.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 22, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »
Me ent holding no brief for the AG, but I would really like the three aggrieved lawyers to come out and say how much they were actually paid.

Pardners, you can't be serious. They saying the AG is a liar. And by looking at the conduct of the AG over the past couple of years, it is very difficult to give him  the benefit of doubt. The Ag could be right, but ..................

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 22, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
10 pages and counting for an AG.

Ent  :).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 22, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »

Why should they?  Just do the math if allyuh that interested.  If it's a matter of public record then let the government disclose it... if it THAT necessary and numbers not just being thrown about in attempt to score political points or otherwise make mischief.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 23, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
10 pages and counting for an AG.

Ent  :).

And when the thread started 6 - 7 months into his tenure, we were able to list 10 things the clown had already committed.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
AG sues Wendy.
« Reply #305 on: February 03, 2013, 05:09:29 AM »
Former Miss Universe added to e-TecK legal action
T&T Express Reports.

AG SUES WENDY

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan has initiated legal action against former Miss Universe Wendy Fitzwilliam.

Fitzwilliam, former vice president/general manager Business Development at Evolving Technologies and Enterprise Development Company Ltd (e TecK) has been joined as a defendant in a lawsuit filed against the company’s former board of directors by Ramlogan.

Also named as a defendant in the amended lawsuit is the company’s former manager, Business Development John Soo Ping Chow.

Fitzwilliam is being accused of failing to properly advise the directors on whether to enter into a $30 million investment in 2005 with China-based Bamboo Network Ltd (BNL).

Soo Ping Chow is being accused of failing in his accounting duties related to BNL, and failing to properly advise the company’s board on the prudence of the investment, given the alleged absence of audited accounts for BNL.

The amended lawsuit was filed January 17, which means the State is now going after eight former e TecK officials, including its chairman Prof Kenneth Julien and directors Ulric McNicol, Prof Brian Copeland, Dr Rene Monteil, Eugene Tiah and Sonia Noel.

Contacted by telephone last Thursday, Fitzwilliam said: “I think it’s before the courts now and has been for quite some time. I think the matter has been thrown out at the Appeal Court level. I’m not sure. I’m just getting on top of it. So it’s before the courts. I will have lots to say when this is done, but not now.

It’s before the courts”.

The initial lawsuit was initiated by Ramlogan in June 2011 arising out of an investment in China-based BNL, in 2005, to develop e TecK’s information technology business venture as part of the former People’s National Movement (PNM) administration’s diversification of the downstream industries.

The claim alleged that the six board members failed to ascertain whether the investment with BNL was prudent and in the interest of the company or the country and that BNL failed to perform any of its obligations under the agreement arrived at by the board led by Julien.

It is also being alleged that BNL failed to return the invested sum of US$5 million (TT$30 million) despite several requests by e TecK.

At a media conference at his Port of Spain office in 2011, Ramlogan said a forensic team which included investigator Bob Lindquist had uncovered what he alleged was a lack of “due diligence” by the board members, which led to a massive financial haemorrhage.

Ramlogan said the most “startling discovery” was the lack of proper legal or financial due diligence into the nature of the investment that the board agreed to.

“That money disappeared into a black hole,” Ramlogan alleged.

The forensic team uncovered that e TecK formed an alliance with BNL in 2004, which was a small nationally managed software company in Hong Kong.

Ramlogan said when the e TecK team visited Hong Kong, they discovered several companies bearing that same name.

Ramlogan said when they returned with that information, the Ministry of Finance “in the strongest possible terms” advised e TecK not to invest in BNL.

The Finance Ministry highlighted BNL’s short track record, poor financial state and lack of proper management structure as the main reason to end the investment proposal.

“Notwithstanding this advice from the Ministry of Finance, e TecK proceeded apace,” he claimed.
Ramlogan said e TecK felt BNL had a successful Japanese operation in a growing market and had strong financial backing from Tiger Management, an investment group.

“Contrary to what was stated there, the probe team found no evidence whatsoever to substantiate this. There is no evidence of any Japanese operation owned or operated by Bamboo, nor have we seen any document evidencing any due diligence to reveal same,” he said.

“We have not been able to locate any fund under the name Tiger Technologies, while Tiger Management was an investment fund of some considerable significance, it was wound up in 2000,” he said.

“When one connects the dots, there is a lot left to be desired,” he said.

In December 2012, the Court of Appeal ruled in favour of Julien and other members who comprised the board he led, in a procedural appeal filed in the lawsuit brought against them by Ramlogan.

As a consequence, the State was ordered to pay $55,000 in legal costs to Julien and former directors Monteil, Copeland, McNicol, Tiah and Noel.

The former board members, on March 2, 2012 had filed an application before Justice Devindra Rampersad seeking to have the lawsuit dismissed on the basis that it was filed out of time.

Rampersad, however, said it would be better to have the issue addressed during the substantive trial since it appeared the evidence provided by the former board members was insufficient to justify the matter being dismissed at that stage.

Attorneys for Julien and the others contended that Rampersad’s finding was wrong in law and that there was in fact unequivocal and unchallenged evidence on which the application was based.

Justice Nolan Bereaux, in a judgment delivered last December and endorsed by Justice of Appeal Humphrey Stollmeyer, said Rampersad was plainly wrong to have deferred consideration of the issue.

Bereaux said the matter must be referred to Rampersad for him to consider it.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Worst Thing To Pass Through Trinbago!
« Reply #306 on: October 19, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
Without a doubt, the worst thing to ever pass through the political climate of Trinidad and Tobago is that current AG. And can someone please tell me how this individual continues to hold office?

Making panday, manning, oholloran, sat etc look like innocent school boys.

calling just cool we need some thoughts on this issue from you.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:22:25 AM by mal jeux »
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst Thing To Pass Through Trinbago!
« Reply #307 on: October 19, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »
d man just plain despicable..... it eh have to other word for it..........dat doh involve cussing at least.........country booky ambulance chaser steups an I from country
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 19, 2013, 11:12:53 PM »
Who the best man 4 d job.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 20, 2013, 06:21:39 AM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 20, 2013, 07:02:48 AM »
anand is ah c**t, but dat was equally low and classless ............dias who we want for PM trinis cyar be serious
I pity the fool....

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 20, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »
Who the best man 4 d job.

sweetbread
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread
« Reply #312 on: October 20, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
anand is ah c**t, but dat was equally low and classless ............dias who we want for PM trinis cyar be serious

Too many stupid people in Trinidad.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 20, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 20, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »
The TTSPCA on vacation or what?

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 21, 2013, 03:25:36 AM »
the goat name Anancy, not Anand

Anancy d goat

he spoke the night before on people on the other side defiling animals..

poor naive innocent me now realise y dey call him 'ramgoat' lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 21, 2013, 10:16:41 AM »
the goat name Anancy, not Anand

Anancy d goat

he spoke the night before on people on the other side defiling animals..

poor naive innocent me now realise y dey call him 'ramgoat' lol

Yuh very late
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 21, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »

That pictures says a 1000 words! It just goes to show how ignorant Jack and his followers are about the fable of Anancy. In the fable, Anancy is a  spider, real trickster, pain-in-arse, misfit. Not a goat.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:31:52 PM by Deeks »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 21, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »
That pictures says a 1000 words! It just goes to show how ignorant Jack and his followers are about the fable of Anancy. In the fable, Anancy is a  spider, real trickster, pain-in-arse, misfit. Not a goat.

Ah think is pun they going for... "Anand see de Goat"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 21, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »

Ah think is pun they going for... "Anand see de Goat"

Senility is a hell of a thing. Thanks for making see the pun.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 22, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »
Senility is a hell of a thing. Thanks for making see the pun.

I had tuh think about it... still doh get it, but ah suppose it tied to some bestiality joke or something.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #322 on: October 23, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,163090.html

“Mr Dookeran told me, ‘I will form this party but I have no money’,” Harnarine said. Dookeran would later form the COP. But by the 2007 election things went sour when a HCU radio station became involved in spreading a report in relation to Ramlogan, alleging bestiality with a goat. When Harnarine fell out with the COP, all hell broke loose. “The vengeance came down on me,” he said.

Harnarine claimed Ramlogan, once a COP member but now a UNC Cabinet minister, turned against him. He said of about 22 levies against the HCU in the year of collapse in 2008, 90 percent were done by Ramlogan.

In one instance, Harnarine claimed that Ramlogan said via telephone: “Allyuh say I was with a goat!” To which, Harnarine responded: “You can’t blame me for the goat scandal.” Ramlogan, he said, then replied: “I am going to levy everything...computers, software, everything!” Ramlogan, Harnarine implied, also did shoddy work on transactions which caused the credit union $40 million in losses.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #323 on: November 03, 2013, 04:50:51 AM »
Conflicting Customs documents arise on tax exemptions for luxury vehicles
By Anika Gumbs and Denyse Renne CCN Senior Multimedia Investigative Journalists
Nov 2, 2013

AG’s Land Rover Mystery

Mystery surrounds conflicting Customs and Excise documents related to tax exemptions on the importation of two Range Rovers in three years from the United Kingdom by Attorney General Anand Ramlogan.

The vehicles in question are PCR 2, a Range Rover TDV Vogue and PCX 2, a Range Rover Autobiography. 

Records at the Licensing Authority in Port of Spain show that the Range Rover TDV Vogue was registered on August 4, 2010 while the Range Rover Autobiography was registered on January 10, 2013.

Official Customs and Excise (C&E) documents show the Range Rover Autobiography, valued at £76,922.64 (TT$815,373.20) arrived in Trinidad and Tobago on July 31, 2012.

The vehicles were imported from London by Navarro’s Brokerage Ltd in Port of Spain.

A copy of the invoice shows the Range Rover Autobiography was purchased from Scott Broder (Maritime) Ltd of Radnor House, Manor Way, London.

It is unclear if the Range Rover TDV Vogue was purchased from the same company but the certified copy stated the vehicle was imported from England.

Under the Salaries Review Commission  (SRC), all Members of Parliament are exempt from paying taxes on motor vehicles over a two-year period.
Chapter 20 of the SRC outlines the transport facilities afforded to the officials who qualify for the exemption.

Among them is a maximum loan of $300,000 at a rate of interest of six per cent per annum repayable over a period of six years to facilitate the purchase of either

(a) A new motor vehicle with full exemption of Motor Vehicle Tax, Value Added Tax and Customs Duty; or
(b) A used motor vehicle with full exemption from Special Motor Vehicle Tax, Value Added Tax and Customs Duty.

However, while Ramlogan is entitled to these facilities, a Sunday Express investigation has found documents bearing contradictory information in relation to the multi-million-dollar-vehicles.

Range Rover TDV Vogue

Documents obtained by the Sunday Express show approval for the tax exemption in relation to the Range Rover TDV Vogue that list the chassis number as SALLMAM23AA322211 and engine number 0439516368DT were signed and dated by C&E officials on September 7, 2012.

However, a note is listed on the certified copy of the Range Rover TDV Vogue dated August 4, 2010 which reads: “Exempted from motor vehicle tax...Ministry of Finance Circular.”

Exactly how the tax exemption form for the Range Rover TDV Vogue is dated some two years after the vehicle was registered in 2010 is unknown.

Explaining the exemption procedure granted to government and non-government officials a senior public official who spoke to Sunday Express under condition of strict anonymity said the normal procedure was for an exemption form to be produced at the time a vehicle is being purchased. 

Asked if it was possible for an exemption to be granted two years after a vehicle is registered the senior public official said: “When a vehicle is being purchased the exemption form is produced showing that taxes are not to be paid. When you purchase a vehicle the car dealer is aware if you are entitled to an exemption or not. Taxes cannot be exempted two years after a vehicle is registered. It is impossible for the bureaucracy to take two years for an exemption to be granted.  For the most the paperwork may take six  weeks to two months, certainly not two years.

Something is wrong if a vehicle is registered in 2010 and the exemption form is showing approval was granted in 2012. That is not possible. In fact, the exemption would have had to be granted before the vehicle was registered.”

Attempts by the Sunday Express to get answers from C&E and Licensing officials  were  unsuccessful  except  to  be told that the exemption form should be presented at the time the vehicle is registered.

“Questions need to be answered,” a senior transport official told the Sunday Express after viewing the documents.

The exemption form was also signed by the permanent secretary in the Ministry of the Attorney General Marlene Juman but not dated.
The Sunday Express learned that at the time of the 2010 transaction involving the Range Rover TDV Vogue, Juman was attached to the Ministry of Finance.

Permanent secretary Simeon Yearwood was attached to the Ministry of the Attorney General at the time the Range Rover TDV Vogue was purchased.

Investigations revealed Yearwood did not sign the exemption form.

And when the Sunday Express contacted Yearwood last Saturday to get confirmation as to whether he was the permanent secretary attached to the Ministry of the Attorney General in August 2010 he said: “Yes I was.”

Asked if he was aware of the purchase of the Range Rover TDV Vogue by Ramlogan and if he approved the exemption, he said: “As far as I can recall I did not approve any such exemption relating to a Range Rover.”

Range Rover
Autobiography

Further probing revealed that on September 7, 2012- the same day approval was granted for the exemption of the Range Rover TDV Vogue- documents were also submitted to C&E declaring the importation of the Range Rover Autobiography. 

The Customs declaration number is listed as A20021.

The C&E duties receipt number is listed as 25461 and dated September 10, 2012.

On the record of payment of motor vehicle tax form where Ramlogan is listed as the importer/consignee, motor vehicle tax in the sum of $368,113.12 is listed as being paid for the Range Rover Autobiography on September 10, 2012.

The chassis number for the Range Rover Autobiography is listed as SALLMAME3CA382809.

The document was signed by Mark Navarro who is listed as the importer/authorised agent and bears the C&E stamp dated September 26, 2012.

However, a second record of payment of motor vehicle form was prepared with the same information except that this time it was indicated that motor vehicle tax was not applicable to the Range Rover Autobiography.

The second document was signed by Jeffrey Gonzalez.

Checks by the Sunday Express revealed that Gonzalez is also employed at Navarro’s Brokerage Ltd.   

He could not be contacted for comment. 

And while Navarro admitted to importing the vehicles he said a confidentiality clause prevented him from revealing details relating to the business transactions of customers and the contradictory information submitted on the forms.

It is uncertain exactly who authorised the motor vehicle tax to be exempt for the Range Rover Autobiography. It is unclear if the exemption was given since one document indicates that the tax was paid while the other states the motor vehicle tax was exempt.

Not even Ramlogan could shed light on the conflicting information listed on the forms when the Sunday Express e-mailed questions to him seeking clarity in relation to the transaction.

And Juman, sources told the Sunday Express, would have been unable to approve the exemption given that her signature is affixed on another exemption document dated September 7, 2012.

Sources at the Ministry of the Attorney General said that the circumstances surrounding the exemption of the Range Rover Autobiography remain “unclear” and officials within the ministry are in the dark over the exemption being granted.

“No one knows anything  about this vehicle receiving an exemption.

“The ministry is unaware of this. I have no idea (about) what you are speaking of. From the information we have, approval was only given for the first vehicle (Range Rover TDV Vogue) to be exempted,” a source said.

Asked about the specific procedure with regard to Ramlogan receiving a tax exemption and whether he was required to  produce a receipt or evidence of the vehicle’s chassis number following the purchase of the vehicle, the source said: “If Ramlogan is purchasing the vehicle in his private capacity,  he wouldn’t need to do that.

“He wouldn’t need to do anything except sign off that he’s a minister and is entitled to the exemption.”

This, the source said, is done with the PS’s approval.

Adding that it is strange if the documents produced showed an exemption was permitted for the Range Rover Autobiography, the source said: “This is indeed cause for concern especially since the ministry is unaware about this transaction.”

In the lead-up to the local government elections on October 21,  Ramlogan publicly accused deputy political leader of the Independent Liberal Party (ILP) Anna Deonarine, of alleged wrongdoing in relation to her purchasing a stolen Range Rover from London.

Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard SC has found that there was no evidence to support the claim.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
Yeah well he DID say it was a facility provided to him due to his office and it was an "investment". So basically he would have two low mileage Range Rovers park up home because they changed the rules to allow the minister to use vehicles assigned to their ministries personally. So the investment would bear return when he sells them (with the value with taxes involved of course.)

I struggling to think of anything this egregious waste of seminal fluid did good since assuming his office and its a saddening thing.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 05, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
wow

Dis Range Rover product have all dem ILP & UNC bazodee
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #326 on: November 10, 2013, 12:09:03 PM »
AG Sells Rover
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/AG-Sells-Rover-231311271.html

By By Anika Gumbs and Denyse Renne CCN Senior Multimedia Investigative Journalists
November 9, 2013
The million dollar luxury Range Rover TDV Vogue registered to Attorney General Anand Ramlogan has a new owner.

Security forces have however been duped over the last 15 months into believing that PCR 2—one of the two luxury Range Rovers imported by Ramlogan—still belongs to him and have wrongly extended all courtesies to the new owner.

Investigations have revealed the vehicle was sold to businessman Dev Debideen last year.

Further probing unearthed that Debideen paid the “cost price” for the Range Rover TDV Vogue.

The transaction between Ramlogan and Debideen involved money being wired to a United States bank account, the Sunday Express has learned.

Checks on various websites show that the average cost for a customised fully-loaded Range Rover is between $1.4 to $1.6 million.

When the exemptions to which Ramlogan is entitled are applied, the vehicle is reduced to approximately $.8 million.

Records at the Licensing Authority, Ministry of Transport, Wrightson Road, Port of Spain, show that the Range Rover TDV Vogue has not been transferred and the vehicle is still registered to Ramlogan.

In fact, Licensing officials are questioning why Ramlogan has opted not to transfer the Range Rover TDV Vogue to Debideen.

Documents also show that Ramlogan is listed as the owner of a white Range Rover Autobiography registered as PCX 2.

Continuing Sunday Express investigations have revealed that earlier this year security personnel approached the black Range Rover TDV Vogue that was seen parked in the VIP area of  Piarco International Airport and requested authorisation for use of the car park spot.

The VIP area is designated for the President, MPs, diplomats and other state officials and dignitaries.

The Sunday Express has learned that the insurance listed in the name of Ramlogan was shown to the security officers on duty causing them to back off.

Investigations have however revealed that at the time Ramlogan was not the owner of the Range Rover TDV Vogue.

The Sunday Express also learned that recently police officers at the Divali Nagar site in Chaguanas were also tricked into believing that the Range Rover TDV Vogue belonged to Ramlogan.

The police officers, the Sunday Express learned, approached the Range Rover TDV Vogue and upon looking at the licence plate allowed the driver and the vehicle access to the site without him paying the $15 parking fee.

The Sunday Express can prove that the Range Rover TDV Vogue and the Range Rover Autobiography were both customised to the likeness of Debideen by a relative.

Both Range Rovers were imported from London, England.

When the Sunday Express contacted Debideen last Wednesday asking whether he had purchased the Range Rover TDV Vogue from Ramlogan he remained silent.

Asked to confirm or deny information obtained by the Sunday Express that revealed the transaction for the Range Rover TDV Vogue was conducted abroad and why this was done, Debideen again did not respond to the question put to him.

Questioned further on whether both the Range Rover TDV Vogue and the Range Rover Autobiography were purchased specifically for him, Debideen said: “I have no comment.”

The telephone call was then disconnected.

Efforts to contact Debideen on Wednesday (6 p.m., 8.30 p.m.), Thursday (9 a.m.,10.30 a.m., 12.01 p.m., 2 p.m., 4.30 p.m., 6 p.m., 7 p.m., 10 p.m.), Friday (6 a.m., 8.30 a.m., 9.45 a.m., 11 a.m., 2.30 p.m., 4.30 p.m., 6 p.m.) and yesterday (6.45 a.m.)  were unsuccessful.

All messages left were not returned.

Acting on a tip, the Sunday Express went to Debideen’s Fairways, Maraval home last Monday in an attempt to get a picture of the Range Rover TDV Vogue.

However, the vehicle was not on the premises.

Further investigation then led the Sunday Express to a parking lot along the Eastern Main Road  opposite a business place, Daikin Air-conditioning Services, in Morvant.  The Range Rover TDV Vogue was parked there.

Checks also revealed that Debideen is employed at Daikin Air-conditioning Services.

It was only last week that Ramlogan accused the Sunday Express of embarking on a “fishing expedition” when asked if he was the owner of the Range Rover TDV Vogue and questioned exactly on how the vehicle was granted an exemption in 2012—some two years after it was registered. Ramlogan along with other Members of Parliament are exempted from paying Motor Vehicle Tax, Value Added Tax (VAT) and Customs Duty on new or used vehicles imported every two years under the Salaries Review Commission (SRC).

However, the vehicle is not to be sold during the two-year period or  half of the taxes are to be repaid to the State.

The certified copy for the Range Rover TDV Vogue show that the vehicle was registered on August 4, 2010.

The chassis number is listed as SALLMAM23AA322211.

However, the engine number for the Range Rover TDV Vogue is 0439516368DT, the same number listed on the certified copy of the white Range Rover Autobiography that is also listed in the name of Ramlogan.

The Range Rover Autobiography was registered on January 10, 2013.

Telephone calls to Transport Commissioner Ruben Cato to explain the discrepancy listed on the certified copies of both vehicles last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday all went unanswered.

Investigations also found that on September 7, 2012 the same day approval was granted for the exemption of the Range Rover TDV Vogue, documents were also submitted to Customs and Excise (C&E) declaring the importation of the Range Rover Autobiography.

The Customs declaration number is listed as A20021.

The C&E duties receipt number is listed as 25461 and dated September 10, 2012.

On the record of payment motor vehicle tax form, where Ramlogan is listed as the importer /consignee, motor vehicle tax in the sum of $368,113.13 is listed as being paid for the Range Rover Autobiography on September 10, 2012.

The chassis number for the Range Rover Autobiography is listed as SALLMAME3CA382809.

The document was signed by Mark Navarro, who is listed as the importer/authorised agent, and bears the C&E stamp dated September 26, 2012.

However, a second record of payment of motor vehicle form was prepared with the same information except that this time it indicated that motor vehicle tax was not applicable to the Range Rover Autobiography.

The second document was signed by Jeffery Gonzalez.

The Sunday Express has confirmed that the matter involving the contradictory information relating to the Range Rover TDV Vogue and Range Rover Autobiography is before the Integrity Commission.

In a letter dated July 26, 2013 People’s National Movement (PNM) senator Fitzgerald Hinds wrote to the Commission questioning the contradictory info relating to the two Range Rovers.

Chairman Ken Gordon could not be contacted for comment yesterday as telephone calls went unanswered.

Cooper: It is wrong

The transaction relating to the Range Rover TDV Vogue is not sitting well with head of the Public Service Reynold Cooper who has said such a move could have serious consequences if the vehicle is involved in an accident.
In a telephone interview with the Sunday Express last Tuesday Cooper said: “If the vehicle has strobe lights it must be taken off because they are given to the official. The heavy tint will also have to be removed because it is an ordinary citizen now using the vehicle. The heavy tint is only applicable to the official.”
He explained that if the vehicle of an official is involved in an accident the owner is liable.
“If the person driving the vehicle is involved in a vehicular accident where someone is knocked down or damage is caused to a property the police will be looking for the owner of the vehicle. It is unusual to sell someone a car and not do a transfer because the car is still registered in the name of the owner. Why would someone sell a car and keep it on their name? Really, what is the purpose of that. Something is wrong if someone has purchased a vehicle from the Commissioner of Police or the Attorney General and a transfer is not done,” Cooper said.
He said the buyer of the vehicle would not be able to take out insurance in their name. “You cannot insure a vehicle in the name of another person. Something is wrong if an official sold a vehicle and it is still in their name,” Cooper said.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #327 on: April 22, 2014, 01:53:35 AM »
Fixin’ T&T: Anand unfit for office
...also calls for firing of Al-Rawi in wake of PCA leak
T&T Express Reports.

THERE has been another call for Attorney General Anand Ramlogan to be immediately fired after his “latest rants and tirade about the leak of the Police Complaints Authority’s (PCA) report, which further demonstrates that he is wholly unfit to hold that office”.

The call was made yesterday by Kirk Waithe, leader of civil rights group Fixin’ T&T, saying the “ongoing transgressions” of Ramlogan were worse than that of the 13 People’s Partnership Government ministers who have been removed from office to date.

Fixin’ T&T also took issue with the handling of the report on the probe into the New Flying Squad Investigative Unit by People’s National Movement (PNM) Senator Faris Al-Rawi, calling his actions injudicious.

In a media release, the non-governmental organisation (NGO) said Al-Rawi’s misrepresentation of the key findings of the report, under the cloak of parliamentary privilege, was irresponsible and called for PNM leader Dr Keith Rowley to advise President Anthony Carmona to revoke the senator’s appointment if his acts were deliberate.

But in an immediate response via a media release, the Office of the Attorney General labelled Fixin’ T&T as a branch of the PNM that masque­rades as an NGO.

“His (Waithe’s) clever conditional call for the removal of Senator Al-Rawi is a disguise for his hollow and baseless attacks on the Government,” said the AG’s release.

Fixin’ T&T said Ramlogan referred to Section 20 (3) of the PCA Act, leading the public to believe the PCA was mandated to submit the report to the Minister of National Security, but he neglected to say the minister referred to in the act is the Minister of Legal Affairs.

In response to this, Ramlogan said: “The Attorney General notes that Fixin’ T&T did not call upon Al-Rawi to disclose his source or explain the various contradictory responses given to date. They range from finding them in his mailbox to someone dropping it off at his law office.

“It likewise did not see it fit to call for any investigation to see who committed this offence. If Mr Waithe asserts that it is the line minister for the PCA who should be provided with a copy of the PCA’s report, please note that as acting Minister of Legal Affairs, the Attorney General is in fact the line minister for the PCA and no report was provided.

“A discretion given to any institution of the State must, in law, be exercised rationally, and it is clear that a copy should have been submitted to the Government, given the clear implications for national security,” the AG added

Fixin’ T&T alleges Ramlogan continues to demonstrate incompetence in the office he holds and also continues to make deliberate attempts to undermine the democracy of the country by allegedly facilita­ting and bringing bad legislation to Parliament (e.g., the “Soldier Bill” and the “No Bail for Illegal Guns Bill”).

The release pointed out Ramlogan continues to tell “blatant lies” and misrepresents the public “by asserting that soldiers in Jamaica have powers of arrest and his flip-flop on the Integrity Commission’s ability to investigate ‘emailgate’”, along with a number of other issues, inclu­ding his alleged “relentless attack on the media, journalists and reporters”.

Fixin’ T&T pointed out Ramlogan also continues to openly attack and make patently false statements about an NGO critical of the Government.

In his response, the Attorney Gen­eral said Waithe had been “obsessed” with him since he (Ramlogan) asked several questions that Waithe has refused to answer.

“In the interest of transparency, these unanswered questions are: Who is financing Fixin’ T&T? Is it the PNM? Who are the executive members of Fixin’ T&T? Does it have a constitution or does it rely on the PNM’s constitution? How was Kirk Waithe elected as its leader? Who are the members? Are they all members of the PNM? What part of Balisier House does one go to get an application form to become a member of Fixin’ T&T?

“His nonsensical accusations are likely to get worse as time goes by,” said Ramlogan.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2014, 05:27:43 AM »
AG SHOWS SIGNED LETTER
‘I reject any allegation of collusion or wrongdoing’
By Anna Ramdass(Express).

Eight days after a request from the Express, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan yesterday produced a signed copy of a letter written by former solicitor general Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell SC to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar where she withdrew her call for an investigation into attorneys in prison litigation.
She had expressed concern that the attorneys were engaged in an unethical business venture.
Ramlogan had first released the unsigned letter, allegedly from Donaldson-Honeywell on April 19 in response to questions from the Sunday Express on an article first citing the former solicitor general’s concerns.
The Sunday Express had requested further the Attorney General produce a signed letter.
On Saturday, a request was again made by the Sunday Express to provide a signed copy of the follow up letter.
Ramlogan had responded: “I was advised by the SG that she had in fact sent that letter to the PM. I do not know if I have a signed copy. You have contacted me on a weekend and staff would not be able to check my files.”
Yesterday, Ramlogan issued a copy of the letter, signed by Donaldson-Honeywell, with receipt acknowledged by the Ministry of the Attorney General dated November 2013; the specific date was obscured.
Donaldson-Honeywell resigned from the Office of the Attorney General on November 12.
Along with the letter, Ramlogan issued a release criticising the Sunday Express for its lead story “Curious case of unsigned letter” where it was reported that the letter sent by Donaldson-Honeywell to the Prime Minister on October 22, 2013, was unsigned.
Donaldson-Honeywell did not confirm or deny to the Sunday Express that she did not sign the letter.
On August 30, 2013 Donaldson-Honeywell wrote to Persad-Bissessar requesting that she initiate an investigation into attorneys involved in litigation against the State and whether there was a breach of professional ethics for indirect or direct financial gain.
The October 22 letter retracted this request.
In a release yesterday,  Ramlogan stated that the story gives the impression that there might be some wrong doing or fraud.
Ramlogan said he was not informed by Express journalists that Donaldson-Honeywell’s comments had given rise to concerns surrounding the letter and had he been afforded the opportunity to respond he would have pointed out that there was no story as he had a signed copy of the letter.
The AG stated that the allegations made by Donaldson-Honeywell “were thoroughly investigated and there was no evidence whatsoever to support the allegations being made by the Express’ sister radio station Radio i95.5FM that there was collusion on the part of the attorneys in my ministry and those external attorneys representing prisoners to procure favourable settlements”.
He stated that attorneys in his legal departments are independently appointed by the Judicial and Legal Services Commission.
“They are professionals and have the utmost integrity. I therefore reject any allegation of collusion or wrongdoing. The procedure for settlement is such that it has inherent safeguards and checks and balances. Different attorneys are randomly assigned files and senior lawyers have to review and endorse any advice recommending settlement before it comes to the Solicitor General who must approve and recommend it to the Attorney General,” stated the AG.
The State, he stated, can only defend matters where there is evidence to support a viable event.
“In the case of the Prison Service this is in fact an exception and my attorneys are criticised by judges for wasting the courts time by proceeding to defend cases with shaky defences,” stated Ramlogan.
He stated that the settlement of these kinds of matters pre-dated his appointment as AG.
Ramlogan quoted from Justice Judith Jones’s ruling in Antonio Sobers vs the AG that:
“In recent years there has been brought before the court an increasing number of cases alleging brutality by servants of the State and, in particular, police and prison officers. Statistics provided by the court reveal that of a total of 427 cases of assault and battery filed in the High Court during the period 16th of September 2005 to 31st May 2012. 302 matters were alleging assault and/or battery by persons employed by the State.
 To put it another way, 71 per cent of the cases alleging assault and/ or battery filed in the High Court of Justice between 16th September 2005 to 31st May 2012 are cases alleging abuse by way of physical assault by servants of the State. The cost of these actions to the reputation of the Police and Prison Services cannot be measured. Nor am I qualified to assess the effect of this “institutionalised” violence on our increasingly violent society.
I can however compute the cost so far in terms of money to the State and ultimately to taxpayers. Of the 302 matters filed to date 157 have been determined; of these 120 have resulted in damages being paid to the claimant. From this it is reasonable to conclude that of the 157 matters completed 37 matters were found to be without merit.
Of those 120 actions damages have only been assessed in 100 so far. Awards with respect to interest apart the State has paid or is liable to pay some $10,265,776.14 in compensation to litigants with respect to these actions. These figures do not include those persons who would be entitled to damages pursuant to this judgment”.
Ramlogan stated that for the sake of transparency, he was willing to allow the media to inspect the relevant documents in any case file concerning prisoners, so that they can see for themselves the lengthy procedures and the justification for any settlement which was recommended by the Ministry’s lawyers and the Solicitor General.
“As AG, I have not settled any matter without the recommendation, advice and support of the Solicitor General. Her handwritten notation recommending settlement will in fact be endorsed on every file. Name the matter and I will allow the file to be inspected as it will be a closed case once there was a settlement,” he stated.
He stated further that the headline quote “AG says no conflict” had no relationship whatsoever to the story.
Ramlogan stated this comment came from a different and totally unrelated story, “but was disingenuously put as part of the headline to give the false impression that I had been contacted on the statements made by Ms Donaldson-Honeywell and given the opportunity to respond.”
“The comment ‘I see no conflict’ was in response concerns by the Prisons Association over the appointment of Daniel khan as the Inspector of Prisons on the supposition that he represents prisoners in matters against the State. I replied that I saw no conflict as the premise was false as Daniel Khan has never in fact represented any prisoner or the State in any matter involving allegation against the Prison Service. This Q&A was published in the Sunday Express,” stated Ramologan.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2014, 01:50:27 AM »
Rowley threatens march through PoS if PM does not act on ex-SG concerns
By Anna Ramdass (Express).

PROBE AG OFFICE

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday hailed former president Arthur Napoleon Raymond Robinson as her mentor whom she learnt from and who contributed to her ascendance in political life.

Persad-Bissessar, accompanied by almost all members of her Government paid their respects to Robinson as his body lay in State at the Parliament building of the International Waterfront Complex, Port of Spain, yesterday.

Just before 10 a.m., a contingent of Government members, including most ministers and MPs, arrived at the Parliament building and lined the steps outside as they awaited Persad-Bissessar’s arrival.

When the Prime Minister arrived at 10 a.m. she greeted Government members and then entered the building where Robinson’s draped, closed casket was situated.

Persad-Bissessar stood near Robinson’s casket and bowed her head, then proceeded to greet members of his family.

The Prime Minister signed the condolence book and then departed.

Since Robinson’s State funeral in Trinidad will be held tomorrow—the day Cabinet usually meets—a special Cabinet meeting was held yesterday immediately after which the Prime Minister and Government members paid their respects.

On the Prime Minister’s Facebook page, her sentiments were shared on the first day of Robinson’s five-day State funeral.

“Today we begin our celebration honouring the life and legacy of Prime Minister Arthur NR Robinson. As a friend and political mentor, it was under Prime Minister Robinson’s guidance that I became an Alderman in the St Patrick County Council. And it was his countless valuable lessons that have greatly contributed to where I am today. During this weeklong memorial we celebrate Prime Minister Robinson’s years of service and life dedication to Trinidad and Tobago,” stated Persad-Bissessar.

Since she became Prime Minister in 2010, Persad-Bissessar paid special attention to Robinson, honouring him with a grand birthday party that year where she invited children to celebrate his 84th birthday at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s.

“Many people think of her as the first female Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, but I think of her not because of the fact that she is female but because of the courage, the persistence, the interest that she has shown in the people of Trinidad and Tobago and I will add particularly in the children of Trinidad and Tobago,” Robinson said then.

“I wish to express my own admiration of the history of Mrs Kamla Persad-Bissessar from early days in the fight to be a member of Parliament on to be the leader of the country as Prime Minister, this is a path that no one else has pursued... no one else has been able to survive after the task they have had before them,” he added.

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley also paid his respects yesterday, as he viewed Robinson’s casket and greeted members of his family.

Rowley signed the condolence book and then left.

Opposition MPs Fitzgerald Jeffrey and Alicia Hospedales as well as Opposition Senator Faris Al-  Rawi also paid their respects and greeted Robinson’s family.

A-Rawi told the media Robinson was a man who transcended every boundary possible and who left an indelible mark on the country and the world.

“Trinidad is definitely a lot darker today and has been since Mr Robinson passing but I do hope that we all remember that we should reflect on the positive aspects of his existence and his contributions to Trinidad and Tobago in a time when our country desperately needs sight of very good leadership,  committed and strong personalities who are prepared to do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do. I think Mr Robinson’s life’s work stands as testimony for that,” said Al-Rawi.

Trade Minister Stephen Cadiz said Robinson lived an “interesting life”.

“I became aware of him in the 1970s when he left the PNM. After 1970 I supported Robinson and the NAR. I thought what he did was what T&T needed in 1986 and I think the country benefitted from what he did and is still benefitting today,” he said.

Cadiz said it was proper for Robinson to be given a full State funeral in both Trinidad and Tobago so the people of the sister island had an opportunity to pay their respects to a son of the soil.

Robinson’s body will lie in State today at the Parliament building.

Tomorrow a State funeral will take place at the National Academy for Performing Arts (NAPA).

On Friday and Saturday Robinson’s body will be in Tobago  where his burial will take place.

1]; } ?>