March 28, 2024, 06:16:36 AM

Author Topic: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread  (Read 82077 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan Thread
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »

Once again calling on the PM to take these matters seriously and for the AG to resign.

http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-DR-ROWLEY-CALLS-FOR-AG-TO-RESIGN---289867071.html

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
I eh no lawyer, but I am sure things of this kind have been going for centuries. I am sure AGs and chief justices use their influences all over the world. How effective the results are of their influences, depends on the strength of transparencies of the country's legal system. In the US, Canada, Australia, NZ and EU, the AG will be walking a very fine line doing such a thing. In weaker and less transparent legal systems(like TT), the AGs has more latitude and will get away with what Anand is accused of doing. That is my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:37:49 PM by Deeks »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »
First that doesnt make it right and secondly...if he had nothing to worry about and no cocoa in the sun..then he wouldnt have to do that. He historically won many of his cases on technicalities and loop holes and if you need that to prove your innocence then for me personally it makes me wonder.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »
Look ting!  :(

West: It’s public record

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/West-Its-public-record-289865071.html

Police Complaints Authority (PCA) director David West has dismissed the claim by Attorney General Anand Ramlogan that he was only made aware of him being a witness in a defamation lawsuit against Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley one month ago.

Ramlogan on Sunday night denied an allegation that six days before West was appointed head of the PCA, he asked him to withdraw his witness statement in the defamation lawsuit relating to the failed extradition involving Section 34 applicants Steve Ferguson and Ishwar Galbaransingh in exchange for him being selected for the job.

When asked by the Sunday Express last week, Ramlogan had initially refuse to confirm or deny whether he had asked West to withdraw the witness statement but on Sunday via a news release he denied the allegation.

West’s witness statement dated June 27, 2014 was filed in the High Court on December 19 and received by Ramlogan’s legal team on December 22.

Ramlogan claimed he was unaware that he (West) was a witness in the matter until December 22 when his legal team was served with the document.

In a brief statement yesterday, West stated: “I David West am a witness to a matter between Anand Ramlogan and Dr Keith Rowley (CV2012-02948). On June 27, 2014 I submitted a signed witness statement to my attorneys on the said matter. My witness statement has since been in possession of my attorneys and was subsequently filed on December 22, 2014.

“The content of the statement is a matter of public record. During this timeframe any individual with interest in this particular matter would have been privy to the list of witnesses and would have known that I am a witness in the matter. I stand by my witness statement and I am ready to defend it under oath.”

The defamation lawsuit in which West is a witness stemmed from statements Ramlogan claimed Rowley made during a news conference on November 8, 2011, relating to Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh’s ruling in which the judge quashed the Attorney General’s decision to order the extradition of Ferguson and Galbaransingh arising out of the Piarco International Airport enquiry.

Express investigations have revealed that the Attorney General telephoned West after midday on October 31, 2014.

This call to West was the second call that was registered on his cellphone from Ramlogan on that same day, October 31.

Ramlogan had telephoned West earlier on the morning of October 31, informing him that he was tipped to head the PCA following the resignation of then director, attorney Gillian Lucky, who accepted a judgeship in September last year.

However, at the time the second telephone call was made, the Office of the President had already contacted West on the same day (October 31) scheduling a meeting with him on November 3 regarding his appointment as PCA head.

The Express learned that immediately following the telephone conversation with Ramlogan, West sought legal advice about the request for the witness statement in the defamation matter to be withdrawn.

West is the former head of the Central Authority Unit that falls under the purview of the office of the Attorney General.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:11:59 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
I really really wish West recorded him. I also wish he went to the integrity commission (are they fully constituted now?).

Every body just accusing poor Anand of everything.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 28, 2015, 01:39:31 PM »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2015, 06:31:14 AM »
As he said..the truth will set him free

...Working draft of witness statement existed since June
By Ria Taitt Political Editor
Story Created: Jan 29, 2015 at 12:40 AM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 29, 2015 at 12:40 AM ECT
A working draft of the witness statement of Police Complaints Authority (PCA) director David West existed since June, 2014, according to court documents filed in the Section 34 defamation case brought by Attorney General Anand Ramlogan against Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley.
The documents indicate that in June 2014, five months prior to his appointment as PCA Director, West had already agreed to be a witness and preparation of his statement was awaiting completion.

The documentation of the existence of a draft statement in the court papers represents the greatest vulnerability for the Attorney General, who has, in response to allegations of witness tampering,[u] stated that it was physically impossible to have asked West to withdraw a witness statement on October 31 as alleged, when the witness statement didn’t exist until December 20, 2014.[/u]
In claiming that his knowledge of the statement only came two months after West’s appointment, he has in effect denied knowledge of the existence of the draft witness statement in the court documents.
However, court documents indicate that Ramlogan’s attorneys must have known that a draft statement existed because the information was presented to the court on two occasions when the issue of an application for an extension to file witness statement in the matter was brought before the High Court and at the Court of Appeal in June and July, 2014 respectively.
The affidavit of Faris Al-Rawi, dated June 23, 2014 and filed in support of the application for the extension, indicate West had gone past the stage of uncertainty and was on board as a witness.
Al-Rawi’s affidavit stated: “On or around June 17, 2014, I was informed by Junior Counsel and verily believe that he required clarification of certain of the instructions from the Defendant (Rowley), myself and Mr David West in order to complete the drafts of the witness statements”.
The affidavit continued: “Both Mr West and I have been reviewing the working draft of our witness statements in the meantime in order to provide the requested clarification for the finalisation of same. However, given the imminent deadline for the filing of the witness statements and the voluminous documents which we both have to review in order to refresh our memories, we both require additional time to do so properly. These documents include the legal proceedings in the extradition matter involving Mr Galbaransingh and Mr Ferguson and their challenges to same and the Hansard reports in respect of the debates concerning the Administration of Justice bill”.
In the actual “Application for Extension”, also dated June 23, it is reiterated: “The other witnesses, Mr David West and Mr Faris Al-Rawi are in the process of reviewing and finalising their witness statements but require additional time to complete that process due to the volume of documents which they are required to peruse to refresh their memories and/or to provide clarification to Counsel”.
Therefore in June, 2014 when the PCA directorship was yet vacant, West who had already agreed to be a witness had a draft witness statement and was in active cooperation with Rowley’s attorney for its completion.
The PCA directorship became vacant on September 1 when Gillian Lucky resigned. And West was appointed on November 6, 2014.
The Sunday Express this week reported an allegation that on October 31, six days before that appointment as PCA director, the Attorney General telephoned David West and asked him to withdraw his witness statement in exchange for support of the appointment.

West's Statement in full

PRESS STATEMENT BY DAVID WEST ON ALLEGATIONS PUBLISHED IN THE MEDIA AGAINST THE HON. ATTORNEY GENERAL

On Wednesday the 21st of January 2015 I was contacted by Ms Anika Gumbs who indicated to me that a source had confided in her as follows:

(i) That prior to my appointment as the Director of the Police Complaints Authority (“the Authority”) on the 7th of November 2014 the Hon. Attorney General had asked me to withdraw a witness statement which I had made on behalf of Dr Keith Rowley in Claim No. CV2012-02948 Anand Ramlogan v. Dr Keith Rowley in return for the Government’s support for my appointment as Director of the Authority; and Ms Gumbs asked me to comment on the allegation. I advised Ms Gumbs that the matter was before the High Court and therefore could not comment.

The proceedings referred to above, which are in fact pending before the High Court, are a claim by the Hon. Attorney General against Dr Rowley for damages for defamation. The subject matter of the Hon. Attorney General’s claim relates to statements allegedly made by Dr Rowley in 2011 concerning the case for the extradition of Mr Ishwar Galbaransingh and Mr Steve Ferguson with which I was involved up to 2010 as the former head of the Central Authority of Trinidad and Tobago. I was appointed as Director of the Authority on the 7th of November 2014.

In the Sunday Express Newspaper for the 25th of January 2015 an article by Ms Anika Gumbs entitled “AG DUCKS” was published. The article contained the allegations against the Hon. Attorney General on which I was asked by Ms Gumbs to provide comment.

As I sought to make clear in a radio interview on the 26th of January 2015, it is matter of public record that my witness statement was first filed in the High Court on the 27th of June 2014 on an application by Dr Rowley for an extension of time for the statement to be filed. Upon the Court of Appeal ultimately granting Dr Rowley the extension on the 19th of December 2014 my witness statement was formally filed on the 19th of December 2014. I hope this makes it patent that I did not withdraw my witness statement or provide any other inducement whatsoever to earn anyone’s support for my appointment as Director of the Authority.

The allegations published in the Sunday Express article “AG DUCKS” suggest that the Hon. Attorney General committed serious criminal conduct in relation to his office and the administration of justice in Trinidad and Tobago. Due process demands that any such allegations should be investigated by the proper authorities and not in the media. I can disclose that I was taking steps in that regard prior to the publication of the article to ensure that I provided the appropriate authorities with the best available corroborative evidence for their investigation.

Although the Hon. Attorney General initially refused to make any comment on the matter, he is now on the public record denying categorically that he ever requested me to withdraw my witness statement in his claim against Dr Rowley. I am compelled to say publicly, without more, that my recollection of what transpired is diametrically opposed to the Hon. Attorney General’s denial that he ever approached me.

Accordingly, I have this morning made a report to the Ag. Commissioner of Police on the matter of the allegations against the Hon. Attorney General reported upon in Ms Gumbs’ article. I trust that the Ag Commissioner will take swift action on my report as he considers appropriate or as he may be advised and that due process will be ensured and the integrity of any investigation will be preserved.

David West
January 29, 2015
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:29:19 PM by Bourbon »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 29, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
ah trini dat incorruptible and refused to "eat ah food" for silence..........ah proud......it have at least one :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 29, 2015, 06:48:43 PM »
Now we cooking with grease.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 29, 2015, 07:24:58 PM »
I hearing sycophants trying to change the conversation to saying that West  took a bribe. Now if that's the line of defense doesn't that mean the AG bribed him? Anyhow..... Anand say he welcomes the probe. If the police doing it... It would be at a sensitive and advanced stage for a while maybe.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2015, 02:55:51 AM »
AG UNDER POLICE PROBE
Anand: A political conspiracy

Anand Ramlogan’s job as Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago hangs in the balance. He is the first Attorney General to face a criminal investigation.

And as Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar flew home last night, one thing must have been on her mind—can Ramlogan, who has survived many controversies and calls for his head, continue to properly discharge the functions of his office with the cloud of a criminal probe hanging over him.

The probe centres around the allegation that on October 31, six days before his appointment as Police Complaints Authority (PCA) Director, David West was approached by the Attorney General with a request that he withdraw his witness statement in the Section 34 defamation lawsuit brought by the Attorney General against Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley, in exchange for the appointment to the directorship.

The controversy, first exposed exclusively by the Sunday Express, took a dramatic turn yesterday as West visited the offices of Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams and presented him with a signed statement in which West confirmed the allegations of “an attempt to pervert the course of justice” against Ramlogan. Williams immediately announced that he had ordered a criminal investigation into the matter.

These events quickly fuelled reports that the Attorney General, whom sources said held a meeting with acting Prime Minister Errol McLeod, was packing up and preparing to vacate his office. The name of Larry Lalla, one of the members of Ramlogan’s legal circle, was even being floated as his replacement. But by 6 p.m Ramlogan issued a defiant statement dismissing the “spurious allegations” which were “part of a wider political conspiracy” and indicating that he expected to the vindicated. Ramlogan, who signed the release as Attorney General, stated that he welcomed the probe by the Commission Williams in the allegations made by West. “I trust that the investigation would be handled professionally, thoroughly and expeditiously. I will cooperate fully with this investigation and look forward to my vindication”,

Ramlogan concluded: “All parties must now allow due process to take its course. These latest spurious allegations are but part of a wider political conspiracy that is designed to damage the government as we draw closer to elections”.

Ramlogan’s four-and-a-half year tenure has been turbulent as he has been involved in many controversies but this latest one is the most serious and threatening of all.

Some of other controversies include emailgate which involved allegations against top office-holders; Prisongate in which the Solicitor-General alleged a conspiracy relating prison litigation matters which led to her resignation; the Section 34 bill; the sending out of a release purportedly authored by the Chief State Solicitor when it was not; the Range Rover controversy; the Chaguanas West by-election motor vehicle accident involving his car and the war of words with the former PCA director Gillian Lucky over the alleged leak of the PCA Report into the Flying Squad.

Up to press time last night Ramlogan was said to be in his office and access to his floor had been restricted. Congress of the People leader Prakash Ramadhar has called for the investigation to be conducted in the shortest possible time.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2015, 04:33:19 AM »
‘A CONSPIRACY’
By Andre Bagoo (Newsday)
Friday, January 30 2015

ACTING Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams yesterday announced that he had ordered a police probe into an allegation of an attempt to pervert the course of justice made against Attorney General Anand Ramlogan by Director of the Police Complaints Authority David West.

In a media release, the police public affairs unit stated, “The Commissioner of Police (Ag), Mr Stephen Williams, wishes to advise that today, Thursday 29th January, 2015, he was visited by Mr David West at Police Administration Building, Port-of-Spain, and presented with a signed statement, in which Mr West made an allegation of ‘an attempt to pervert the course of justice’, against Senator the Honourable, Anand Ramlogan, Attorney General of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.”

The statement continued, “As a consequence, the Commissioner of Police has ordered an investigation into the matter.” The investigation will be led by Deputy Commissioner of Police – Operations (Ag), Harold Phillip.

The statement did not disclose any details of the allegations contained in the West statement.

In an immediate reaction, Ramlogan said he welcomed the probe, stated there was political conspiracy involved and called for caution.

“I welcome the announcement by the Commissioner of Police of an investigation into the allegations made by Mr David West,” Ramlogan said. “I trust that the investigation would be handled professionally, thoroughly and expeditiously. I will co-operate fully with this investigation and look forward to my vindication.”

The Attorney General further stated, “All parties must now allow due process to take its course. These latest spurious allegations are but part of a wider political conspiracy that is designed to damage the Government as we draw closer to elections.”

Ramlogan has denied the allegations contained in a Sunday Express article that he asked West to withdraw his witness statement in a defamation lawsuit Ramlogan has against Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley for comments about Section 34 and extradition proceedings involving businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson. The article alleged Ramlogan promised West he would be appointed PCA director if he withdrew from the lawsuit.

In a statement on Sunday, the Attorney General said, “Whilst I was and remain reluctant to comment on a matter in which I am the claimant that is awaiting trial before the High Court, I wish to categorically reject and deny the absurd allegation that I asked the PCA chairman David West to withdraw his witness statement during a telephone conversation which allegedly took place on October 31, 2014, or at any time thereafter.” Ramlogan further stated, “I was only aware that Mr West had filed a witness statement in this case when it was served on my attorneys on December 22, 2014.”

Ramlogan also stated it was impossible for him to have made such a representation as it is for the President to appoint the PCA director, which is an independent post.

Section 6 of the PCA Act states, “6. (1) The Authority shall comprise a Director and a Deputy Director to be appointed by the President on the joint advice of the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.”

PCA director: A different story

While it was surmised that the statement submitted by West to the police related to the newspaper report, his submission to the police was not released.

In a release, West stated his complaint related to the newspaper article but did not go into specifics of his statement to the police.

The former head of the Central Authority said, “I am compelled to say publicly, without more, that my recollection of what transpired is diametrically opposed to the Honourable Attorney General’s denial that he ever approached me.”

“Accordingly, I this morning made a report to the Ag Commissioner of Police on the matter of the allegations against the Honourable Attorney General reported upon,” West said. “I trust that the Ag Commissioner will take swift action on my report as he considers appropriate or as he may be advised and that due process will be ensured and the integrity of any investigation will be preserved.” West did not specify in his statement the nature of the reported approach. Efforts to contact West were unsuccessful.

This is not the first time West and Ramlogan have sparred publicly. In 2011, both engaged in a war of words when Ramlogan criticised West’s appointment as “deputy director” of the Financial Intelligence Unit under the PNM, saying the post did not exist. West also criticised Ramlogan’s handling of an extradition case involving Doreen Alexander Durity in 2013.

Rumours circulated yesterday that Ramlogan may have resigned or had been called to a meeting to explain the reports by Acting Prime Minister Errol Mc Leod.

The Cabinet – which at a minimum comprises the Prime Minister and Attorney General – met yesterday, the regular day of the week when its meetings are held. There was no Cabinet media briefing yesterday.

There were further rumours that the Attorney General was due to hold a press conference at Cabildo Chambers, St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain yesterday afternoon though no official notification of this was sent. Reporters lined up outside Cabildo as the sun set.

Ramlogan, Mc Leod and Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar did not immediately respond to messages on the matter.

The Prime Minister returned to Trinidad at about 6.41 pm yesterday after official visits to Costa Rica and Washington DC last night. She was met by members of her Cabinet at the VIP Lounge of Piarco International Airport, but there was no media coverage.

COP wants swift probe

Congress of the People (COP) political leader Prakash Ramadhar yesterday called for a swift investigation into allegations made against Ramlogan saying such was essential to vindicate the rights of all.

Ramadhar said, “Such serious allegations must be investigated in a timely manner once there is substantial information to require it. This has been the COP’s position since May 2010 when we came into Government. We have applied it to all public officials, including those from our own party against whom serious allegations have been made.” The Legal Affairs Minister said a prompt investigation was needed to vindicate the, “rights of all involved”.

“What we need are the facts, the truth of the situation and if there is sufficient evidence for further action against anyone, that must also be proceeded with urgently. The seriousness of this matter demands the earliest resolution,” Ramadhar said.

This week, Ramadhar, as Legal Affairs Minister, attempted to get West to meet with him on the allegations but West asserted the independence of the PCA which he said did not report to a line minister, and felt it would be inappropriate to meet with Ramadhar.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
Extra Security given to West

National Security Minister Gary Griffith has been identified as a critical witness in the criminal investigation of misbehaviour in public office against Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, according to reliable police sources.

The information came as Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of Crime, Harold Phillip, began his probe into the latest criminal allegation linked to the infamous Section 34 fiasco.

Contacted for comment yesterday, Griffith would only repeat: “I have no comment to make on that matter.”

But sources said Griffith intended to co-operate with police investigators in the matter.

West yesterday submitted a detailed signed witness statement to the police in support of his complaint that the Attorney General tried to get him to withdraw a witness statement he filed in defence of a defamation lawsuit between Ramlogan and Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley relating to the Section 34 matter.

This triggered acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams to appoint Phillip to assemble a team to probe the allegation. West has also been provided with a security detail.

Sources said investigators will pore over a chain of events which will take them to the Hall of Justice, Port-of-Spain, to examine court records and through the telephone records of West, Ramlogan and Griffith among other people.

Sources said West last year had confided to a politician about attempts being made to influence him in a court matter. The attempts were made on the same day the High Court gave a decision in the defamation lawsuit against Rowley, police sources said.

Ramlogan, in a detailed press release on Monday, denied West’s allegations that he attempted to influence him to withdraw the witness statement in exchange for his appointment as director of the Police Complaints Authority.

That position, under the Constitution, requires consent from both the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader before it is sealed by the Office of the President.

Yesterday, members of the media gathered outside the AG’s offices, St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, after rumours spread  he was about to resign and make a statement at a press conference to that effect.

The AG was visited by Communication Minister Vasant Bharath and attorney Wayne Sturge at one point but no press conference materialised and the AG subsequently sent out a release in which he welcomed the probe on the matter.

Emailgate not going away

In a statement yesterday, AG Ramlogan called for a speedy enquiry and labelled the allegation part of a “political conspiracy.”

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Ramlogan, Griffith and Works and Transport Minister Suruj Rambachan were identified in a separate criminal investigation relating to the Section 34 matter, now dubbed Emailgate.

It was Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley, who in May 2012 disclosed in Parliament a thread of e-mails purportedly being exchanged between the four politicians in the wake of the passage of legislation which was tailored to benefit political financiers Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson, who were facing a series of fraud charges relating to the $1.6 billion Piarco Airport Development Project.

That matter, subject to two investigations by the Integrity Commission and the Police Service, are yet to be completed. :-\

The probe by the Integrity Commission has progressed somewhat with e-mail service provider Google to comply with a subpoena in a California, USA court to hand over the e-mail records of Ramlogan and Persad-Bissessar.

The police matter is now lodged with the United States Department of Justice, the T&T Guardian learned.

The conspiracy detailed in the thread of e-mails disclosed a plot to spy on Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, remove him from office by influencing Chief Justice Ivor Archie to appoint Gaspard to the High Court bench and harm investigative journalist Denyse Renne among other things.

The four politicians have previously denied any wrongdoing in the Emailgate matter and described the thread of e-mails as a fabrication.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
Why? Why? Lord help us - what vile and pestilence foul and contemptible allegations continue to plague this land!!
 Is it time Mr. President call for a foreign independent inquiry to preside over there inquiries?  Or does the web of entanglement stretched to his powers that he too is stifled by those who offered unto Hume the office to preside as the ultimate voice over the happenings in this land?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 30, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »
Why? Why? Lord help us - what vile and pestilence foul and contemptible allegations continue to plague this land!!
 Is it time Mr. President call for a foreign independent inquiry to preside over there inquiries?  Or does the web of entanglement stretched to his powers that he too is stifled by those who offered unto Hume the office to preside as the ultimate voice over the happenings in this land?

Isn't that obvious to you by now?
They are all corrupt inluding our president who is supposed to be indenpendent and to protect us from corrupt governments like the current one.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #375 on: February 01, 2015, 05:31:40 AM »
All eyes on PM Kamla
By Renuka Singh (Guardian).

Two government ministers are among the four lawyers tipped to replace Attorney General Anand Ramlogan should his appointment be revoked tomorrow. Apart from Ramlogan, Police Complaints Authority (PCA) head David West could also see his appointment revoked. Cabinet insiders said the Prime Minister was “not aware” that he was a key witness in a civil matter involving Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley at the time of his appointment to the PCA.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is expected to make a statement at 4 pm tomorrow at her office in St Clair. While she did not indicate what the topic of her statement would be, there is speculation that following massive external pressure to remove Ramlogan, she would address that issue.

The Sunday Guardian was informed that Persad-Bissessar held heated talks with key government ministers yesterday, looking for a way to address both the internal Cabinet tension and the external pressure from the public to remove Ramlogan from office. The four shortlisted candidates discussed at closed door meetings yesterday were Minister of the Environment Ganga Singh, Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar, former attorney general Anthony Smart, and lawyer Larry Lalla.

The Sunday Guardian learned that both Singh and Smart—chairman of First Citizens—refused the position. While Ramadhar’s name is still technically in the ring, it is Lalla who may get the final nod of approval from Persad-Bissessar and her Cabinet. Though Lalla yesterday said he had not yet been approached, one Cabinet insider yesterday confirmed that his name was heading the pack to replace Ramlogan.

“The truth is she has not yet made a final decision, but Lalla’s name is being circulated,” one Cabinet insider said during a break in the meetings. Persad-Bissessar is expected to meet with Ramlogan and National Security Minister Gary Griffith before she addresses the situation publicly tomorrow.

Griffith has remained adamant that he will not bow to Cabinet pressure to recall his witness statement supporting West’s claim that Ramlogan sought to “pervert the course of justice” by asking him (West) to recant his witness statement in the Section 34 matter. It was reported that Griffith was asked by Ramlogan to confirm that West had recalled the witness statement. Griffith, it was reported, did not know what the statement was about.

Law Association: Anand must go

The Law Association of T&T yesterday issued a media release calling for Ramlogan to step down. The association said in the light of the police investigations, Ramlogan should step down in order to prevent an “erosion of confidence” in the Office of the Attorney General. The association said it made “no comment” on Ramlogan’s guilt or innocence but felt that given the circumstances, Ramlogan should be removed from the post of Attorney General.

According to the Law Association, to prevent the erosion of confidence in the Office of the AG, the investigations which have been embarked upon by the police should “be conducted thoroughly and expeditiously in the interest of the national community.”
Once the investigations are completed, the association said, any and all appropriate legal steps should be taken “with due expediency.”

Officeholders under probe should step aside—COP

The Congress of the People also issued a statement yesterday saying that it expected Persad-Bissessar to make an announcement “shortly.” “The Prime Minister has responsibility for appointments to ministerial offices and we await her decision in this matter,” Ramadhar said in the release. He reiterated that the COP’s position was that officeholders under investigation “should step aside while investigation proceeds.”

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »
http://m.guardian.co.tt/news/2015-01-31/griffith-duped-approaching-west-security-head-ready-testify

National Security Minister Gary Griffith confided in a Cabinet colleague on Thursday he was approached by Attorney General Anand Ramlogan to use his friendship with Police Complaints Authority head David West in order to confirm "if West recalled the documents" in the Section 34 defamation lawsuit against Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley.

However, Griffith appears ready to provide statements in the ongoing police probe in the allegations against the AG  to clear his name in the matter. The colleague yesterday said Griffith had informed them he was not aware of exactly what the “documents” in questions were but was just delivering a message on Ramlogan's behalf when he approached West in the matter. It was only later on that Griffith in fact realised it was the Section 34 lawsuit.

"It was only when he (Griffith) contacted West that he was told to leave that situation alone because the matter was before the court that he realised what was going on," Griffith;s colleague told the T&T Guardian yesterday.

Ramlogan had initially denied media reports  he had contacted West before his appointment to the PCA, asking him to withdraw his witness statement in a defamation lawsuit relating to the failed extradition involving Section 34 applicants Steve Ferguson and Ishwar Galbaransingh in exchange for him being selected for the PCA job. But West on Thursday refuted Ramlogan's denial, saying his recollection of the events were "diametrically opposed" to the Attorney General's.

West was also reported to have delivered a statement to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) but the T&T Guardian has learnt that while a detailed, signed report was delivered to the acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams, nothing has been delivered to the DPP yet.

The T&T Guardian was informed that the timeline of the alleged discussions between Ramlogan, Griffith and West was the crux of the growing discord between the three, as Griffith has informed his colleagues that he was only passing a message on to West.

Cabinet interference

When contacted yesterday, Griffith said he was not speaking on the matter. "I have to be careful because the matter is before the court but I can say that I am in no way implicated," Griffith said. The T&T Guardian also learned that Griffith was refusing to back down or be cowed by his Cabinet colleagues. When asked how that was affecting the climate inside Cabinet, the insider said: "Griffith not too worried about that.

"He does not intend to retract or back down or not make that witness statement because his Cabinet colleagues are trying to get him to back down."
Griffith, the T&T Guardian learned, was "willing and ready to testify." Meanwhile, West himself yesterday said he hoped the matter would be investigated swiftly and said he stood ready to play his part in the investigation.

West, who was in Tobago for a meeting in Plymouth, also dispelled the AG’s claim that there was a political conspiracy against him saying: “I don’t agree with his words. I gave a statement to the commissioner of Police and that statement will be investigated by the Deputy Commissioner of Police.”

Cabinet interference

When contacted yesterday, Griffith said he was not speaking on the matter. "I have to be careful because the matter is before the court but I can say that I am in no way implicated," Griffith said. The T&T Guardian also learned that Griffith was refusing to back down or be cowed by his Cabinet colleagues. When asked how that was affecting the climate inside Cabinet, the insider said: "Griffith not too worried about that.

"He does not intend to retract or back down or not make that witness statement because his Cabinet colleagues are trying to get him to back down." Griffith, the T&T Guardian learned, was "willing and ready to testify." Meanwhile, West himself yesterday said he hoped the matter would be investigated swiftly and said he stood ready to play his part in the investigation.

West, who was in Tobago for a meeting in Plymouth, also dispelled the AG’s claim that there was a political conspiracy against him saying: “I don’t agree with his words. I gave a statement to the commissioner of Police and that statement will be investigated by the Deputy Commissioner of Police.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #377 on: February 02, 2015, 03:04:06 AM »
Griffith threatens to walk

National Security Minister Gary Griffith is threatening to quit in the face of scathing press release issued by Communication Minister Vasant Bharath yesterday accused him of making false claims and compromising the integrity of Cabinet.  Bharath was referring to reports that Griffith claimed he was pressured by his Cabinet colleagues not support a criminal complaint by Police Complaints Authority Director David West.

West claimed on Thursday that Attorney General Anand Ramlogan asked him (West) to withdraw his witness statement in a defamation case between Ramlogan and Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley in exchange for the PCA post.

Griffith is now threatening to expose private details of a meeting he and his wife, Congress of the People chairman, Nicole Dyer-Griffith were “summoned to” with Bharath and United National Congress’s campaign and advertising consultant Ernie Ross on Thursday in Woodbrook. In a subsequent interview though, Bharath denied calling Dyer-Griffith to any meeting and he also denied being present at any meeting with Griffith, Dyer-Griffith and Ross.

In a telephone interview yesterday, a livid Griffith, who was at the National Panorama semifinals, at the Queen’s Park Savannah, in Port-of-Spain, said that he was surprised that Bharath would be the first to say there was no Cabinet pressure on him to not support West. Griffith also criticised Bharath, claiming that the move to discredit him was a “red herring” designed to push him out of office.

“I do not need to sell my soul for a political seat and I am not begging anyone to stay, I could walk out of the Government tomorrow with my head high,” Griffith said. Griffith said Bharath never contacted him before issuing that statement and was shocked that Bharath would make such damning statements without verifying whether he did in fact say that Cabinet was putting pressure on him not to support West.

“It is surprising and ironic that the Minister of Communication is the first to jump out and make those statements. It is ironic that he of all people would be saying that but you know what they say about people who protest too much,” Griffith said.

He said it was “interesting” that Bharath would make such statements “as if he forgot” what played off between the four of us at a meeting at Ross’ office on Thursday, after news broke that Griffith was in fact maintaining that he would remain a witness against Ramlogan.

“The court of public opinion could judge me and I could keep my head high but I want Bharath to answer to the country what he was doing up in Ernie Ross office on Thursday and why they summoned me and Mrs Griffith to a meeting and what was said there,” Griffith said. “The Minister of Communication lacks the most basic common sense and manners if he cannot contact me before making these statements,” he said.

“Let them continue, I have no intention to lie to protect anyone and I am not going to be pressured to lie,” Griffith said. Despite Griffith’s threats, it was Bharath who drew first blood yesterday when he issued a media statement saying that Griffith’s word and actions had “compromised the integrity of Cabinet”.

Cabinet confusion

Former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj said on Saturday that the entire Cabinet could be the subject of a police investigation if it proven that pressure had been applied to Griffith to withdraw his statement in support of West. The media release carried the headline “Bharath: Griffith’s claims ‘false and without basis’ and went on to say that Griffith’s claim that he was pressured by Cabinet was “COMPLETELY false and without any basis whatsoever!”

“Any suggestion that such a request was made of the National Security Minister at the meeting of Cabinet last Thursday is completely and utterly false. The Cabinet never, at any time, attempted to do as Mr Griffith has claimed,” the release noted.

“In dismissing the claims, Minister Bharath added: “More than Mr Griffith’s claims being completely untrue is the fact that he has, by his actions, compromised the integrity of Cabinet, and has done so without any clear or rational reason,” Bharath’s release said.

“The irony of these claims are also very stark, when one considers that it is this Government that has done the most to not only maintain, but improve the processes and mechanisms that promote accountability and transparency in Government,” Bharath said.

AG to resign ...Lalla tipped for job

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan is set to resign today and attorney Larry Lalla is expected to be sworn in. The Cabinet change will take place before Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar makes her much anticipated announcement at 4 pm.

According to the Constitution, Cabinet must be made up of the Prime Minister and the Attorney General, so once Ramlogan steps down, Lalla would have to be signed in immediately in order to uphold the Constitutional description of what constitutes a government.

The T&T Guardian understands that Ramlogan has not met with Persad-Bissessar but instead was allowed to send a statement to her following reports that Police Complaints Authority (PCA) Director David West made a complaint to police, accusing Ramlogan of attempting to “pervert the course of justice” by asking him to withdraw his witness statement in a civil matter filed by Ramlogan against Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley.

The T&T Guardian was informed that Ramlogan met with three lawyers on Thursday; his private lawyer Pamela Elder SC, Wayne Sturge and Gerald Ramdeen. While both Sturge and Ramdeen were spotted entering Ramlogan’s office on Thursday, Elder refused to comment on “anything concerning the AG”, when contacted yesterday. Key members of the Cabinet met at Persad-Bissessar’s home in Phillpine, South Trinidad up until 4 am Sunday morning, sources said, but Ramlogan was a no show.

The T&T Guardian understands that he spent the past three days in his gated-community Palmiste home with his family, discussing his next step. The T&T Guardian was told that while Ramlogan appeared crest-fallen, he stands by his denial that he ever sought to bargain the PCA job as an inducement for West to withdraw his witness statement in the defamation case with Rowley.

“He has said that by the grace of God, he would prove this was a move driven by hate and vengeance,” the insider said. In a statement last Thursday, hours after West made his report, Ramlogan claimed the allegation was “part of a wider political conspiracy designed to damage the government as we draw closer to elections.”

National Security Minister Gary Griffith, who has been identified as a witness in West’s complaint, when he claimed that Ramlogan duped him into contacting West to follow up on whether the witness had withdrawn the witness statement as discussed. Griffith had claimed that he did not know the contents of the document he was asked to follow up on with West.

Griffith said yesterday that has been cleared by investigators and was not a suspect in anyway while the provisions of PCA Act 2006 protects West. Lalla, the T&T Guardian learned has not yet been informed of the confirmation of the appointment but has signalled to close friends that once approached, he would accept. “He is not saying anything until the Prime Minister speaks because he does not want to jump the gun,” a close friend said.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »

Ramesh had a lot to say about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qzt5ApvCIE

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #379 on: February 02, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 02, 2015, 05:40:46 PM »
Griffith threatens to walk

National Security Minister Gary Griffith is threatening to quit in the face of scathing press release issued by Communication Minister Vasant Bharath yesterday accused him of making false claims and compromising the integrity of Cabinet.  Bharath was referring to reports that Griffith claimed he was pressured by his Cabinet colleagues not support a criminal complaint by Police Complaints Authority Director David West.

West claimed on Thursday that Attorney General Anand Ramlogan asked him (West) to withdraw his witness statement in a defamation case between Ramlogan and Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley in exchange for the PCA post.

Griffith is now threatening to expose private details of a meeting he and his wife, Congress of the People chairman, Nicole Dyer-Griffith were “summoned to” with Bharath and United National Congress’s campaign and advertising consultant Ernie Ross on Thursday in Woodbrook. In a subsequent interview though, Bharath denied calling Dyer-Griffith to any meeting and he also denied being present at any meeting with Griffith, Dyer-Griffith and Ross.

In a telephone interview yesterday, a livid Griffith, who was at the National Panorama semifinals, at the Queen’s Park Savannah, in Port-of-Spain, said that he was surprised that Bharath would be the first to say there was no Cabinet pressure on him to not support West. Griffith also criticised Bharath, claiming that the move to discredit him was a “red herring” designed to push him out of office.

“I do not need to sell my soul for a political seat and I am not begging anyone to stay, I could walk out of the Government tomorrow with my head high,” Griffith said. Griffith said Bharath never contacted him before issuing that statement and was shocked that Bharath would make such damning statements without verifying whether he did in fact say that Cabinet was putting pressure on him not to support West.

“It is surprising and ironic that the Minister of Communication is the first to jump out and make those statements. It is ironic that he of all people would be saying that but you know what they say about people who protest too much,” Griffith said.

He said it was “interesting” that Bharath would make such statements “as if he forgot” what played off between the four of us at a meeting at Ross’ office on Thursday, after news broke that Griffith was in fact maintaining that he would remain a witness against Ramlogan.

“The court of public opinion could judge me and I could keep my head high but I want Bharath to answer to the country what he was doing up in Ernie Ross office on Thursday and why they summoned me and Mrs Griffith to a meeting and what was said there,” Griffith said. “The Minister of Communication lacks the most basic common sense and manners if he cannot contact me before making these statements,” he said.

“Let them continue, I have no intention to lie to protect anyone and I am not going to be pressured to lie,” Griffith said. Despite Griffith’s threats, it was Bharath who drew first blood yesterday when he issued a media statement saying that Griffith’s word and actions had “compromised the integrity of Cabinet”.

Cabinet confusion

Former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj said on Saturday that the entire Cabinet could be the subject of a police investigation if it proven that pressure had been applied to Griffith to withdraw his statement in support of West. The media release carried the headline “Bharath: Griffith’s claims ‘false and without basis’ and went on to say that Griffith’s claim that he was pressured by Cabinet was “COMPLETELY false and without any basis whatsoever!”

“Any suggestion that such a request was made of the National Security Minister at the meeting of Cabinet last Thursday is completely and utterly false. The Cabinet never, at any time, attempted to do as Mr Griffith has claimed,” the release noted.

“In dismissing the claims, Minister Bharath added: “More than Mr Griffith’s claims being completely untrue is the fact that he has, by his actions, compromised the integrity of Cabinet, and has done so without any clear or rational reason,” Bharath’s release said.

“The irony of these claims are also very stark, when one considers that it is this Government that has done the most to not only maintain, but improve the processes and mechanisms that promote accountability and transparency in Government,” Bharath said.

AG to resign ...Lalla tipped for job

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan is set to resign today and attorney Larry Lalla is expected to be sworn in. The Cabinet change will take place before Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar makes her much anticipated announcement at 4 pm.

According to the Constitution, Cabinet must be made up of the Prime Minister and the Attorney General, so once Ramlogan steps down, Lalla would have to be signed in immediately in order to uphold the Constitutional description of what constitutes a government.

The T&T Guardian understands that Ramlogan has not met with Persad-Bissessar but instead was allowed to send a statement to her following reports that Police Complaints Authority (PCA) Director David West made a complaint to police, accusing Ramlogan of attempting to “pervert the course of justice” by asking him to withdraw his witness statement in a civil matter filed by Ramlogan against Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley.

The T&T Guardian was informed that Ramlogan met with three lawyers on Thursday; his private lawyer Pamela Elder SC, Wayne Sturge and Gerald Ramdeen. While both Sturge and Ramdeen were spotted entering Ramlogan’s office on Thursday, Elder refused to comment on “anything concerning the AG”, when contacted yesterday. Key members of the Cabinet met at Persad-Bissessar’s home in Phillpine, South Trinidad up until 4 am Sunday morning, sources said, but Ramlogan was a no show.

The T&T Guardian understands that he spent the past three days in his gated-community Palmiste home with his family, discussing his next step. The T&T Guardian was told that while Ramlogan appeared crest-fallen, he stands by his denial that he ever sought to bargain the PCA job as an inducement for West to withdraw his witness statement in the defamation case with Rowley.

“He has said that by the grace of God, he would prove this was a move driven by hate and vengeance,” the insider said. In a statement last Thursday, hours after West made his report, Ramlogan claimed the allegation was “part of a wider political conspiracy designed to damage the government as we draw closer to elections.”

National Security Minister Gary Griffith, who has been identified as a witness in West’s complaint, when he claimed that Ramlogan duped him into contacting West to follow up on whether the witness had withdrawn the witness statement as discussed. Griffith had claimed that he did not know the contents of the document he was asked to follow up on with West.

Griffith said yesterday that has been cleared by investigators and was not a suspect in anyway while the provisions of PCA Act 2006 protects West. Lalla, the T&T Guardian learned has not yet been informed of the confirmation of the appointment but has signalled to close friends that once approached, he would accept. “He is not saying anything until the Prime Minister speaks because he does not want to jump the gun,” a close friend said.

What time is it !r Wolfe?  Bacchanal time - are we. Witnessing an implosion of political magnitude?  Is the partnership  about to sink?  When will the President step in and invoke  impeach  a  governance that  is showing signs of incompetence?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 02, 2015, 05:54:11 PM »
she fire half de government

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 02, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
papayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 02, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
Are these correct?

Prakash Ramadhar Minister of Justice.
Christine Newallo-Hosein, Minister of the People and Social Development
Brent Sancho Minister of Sport
Quasi Matuma - Minister in the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure
Carl Alphonso Minister of National Security
Garvin Nicholas Attorney General

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 02, 2015, 06:24:16 PM »
The AG and Gary Griffith have been axed
Garvin Nicholas is the new AG, Brigadier Carl Alfonso is the National Security Minister

By Richard Charan
Story Created: Feb 2, 2015 at 8:21 PM ECT
Story Updated: Feb 2, 2015 at 8:21 PM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/The-AG-and-Gary-Griffth-have-been-axed-290593551.html

PRIME Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has asked that the President revoke the appointments of Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, National Security Minister Gary Griffith, and Director of the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) David West, for their roles in witness-tampering investigation ordered by Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams.

Garvin Nicholas will be the new Attorney General, and retired Brigadier Carl Alfonso is the National Security Minister.

The Prime Minister has also removed Senate President Timothy Hamel-Smith, Sports Minister Rupert Griffith, Ministry in the Works and Transport Minister Stacy Roopnarine, and Justice Minister Emmanuel George. Persad Bissessar has given up the portfolio of Social Development and People Ministry.

Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar will take on the Justice Ministry. Former advisor in the Office of the Prime Minister Christine Nawal Hosein is the new Minister of Social Development and the People. Soca Warrior footballer Brent Sancho is the Sports Minister, NJAC member Kwesu Motumba is now a minister in the Works and Infrastructure Ministry.

In an 18 minutes address that began eight minutes later than its planned 7.30p.m start, Persad-Bissessar addressed the nation.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 02, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »
That AG should have been gone a LONG time now, but I do feel sorry for GG.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 02, 2015, 08:38:29 PM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2015, 09:09:54 PM »
Rupert Griffith get fired... why?  And what David West do? Lol.

Things Fall Apart...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #388 on: February 03, 2015, 03:01:27 AM »
Witness tampering scandal: PM calls on West to resign

KAMLA’S OLE MAS

In an address of 2,164 words last night, made necessary by the allegations against the Attorney General, the Prime Minister dedicated virtually one line to her outgoing Attorney General Anand Ramlogan.

“The Attorney General has vehemently denied the allegation” (of witness tampering), she said.

But Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar went to town on Police Complaints Authority (PCA) Director David West, criticised the actions of her outgoing National Security Minister Gary Griffith and waded into Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley.

The Prime Minister suggested that Griffith had a moral obligation to tell her if and when Ramlogan had asked him to place a call to West (seeking to have West withdraw his witness statement).

“The question is whether the Minister was not under an obligation to inform me, as the Prime Minister, that he made such a call. The situation would have been very different had such a request not been made and this matter been brought to my earlier attention,” she said, noting that Griffith admitted to making “such a call”.

The Prime Minister went after West, whose resignation she vociferously called for and whose position she insisted had now been severely compromised. She asserted West’s office as Director of the PCA had been compromised and brought into disrepute by the allegations, along with the office of the Attorney General and the Minister of National Security.

“I cast no aspersions on the capacity or performance of those that hold these positions, but cannot have these offices be so embroiled in conflict and controversy eroding public confidence in the institutions which they lead.... What is also of equally grave concern to me, as it must be to the nation, is the compromised position of the Director of the PCA, arising out of this situation. The question must arise as to why he did not make it known to me or to His Excellency President Anthony Carmona when the position of heading the PCA was offered to him in November,” the Prime Minister stated.

“Further,” she asked, “why did he wait until now to make public this matter.”

“The head of the Police Complaints Authority has the responsibility to investigate complaints against police officers. He would find himself doing so now while he himself has filed a matter for investigation to the Commissioner of Police,” the Prime Minister stated.

She added: “The threat of conflict of interest or perception thereof clearly emerges and compromises the role of the head of the PCA”.

The ball is now in the President’s court as to whether he would heed the Prime Minister’s statements and remove West from office.

All this happened in the process of telling the nation that she had fired or as she put it—“asked for the resignations of” the Attorney General and Griffith.

She said she received the resignation of the Attorney General, who has been replaced by former High Commissioner to the UK, Garvin Nicholas.

Griffith, who has been replaced by Brigadier General Carl Alfonso, (a former executive director at the Prime Minister’s residence and Diplomatic Centre), later stated that he did not tender his resignation.

Both Ramlogan and Griffith are “embroiled” in the witness tampering allegation drama. The Prime Minister’s reshuffle went further though, and she threw out three other members of her Government—Emmanuel George and Embau Moheni.

The shock revocation was that of Senate President Timothy Hamel-Smith, for which the Prime Minister gave no elaboration.

Questions now arise as to who would replace Hamel-Smith as all the government members of Senate have ministerial portfolios, with the exception of James Lambert, the Vice President.

The Senate requires two members on the Government side to not have portfolios in order to serve as President and Vice President, especially since the President of the Senate acts for the President of the Republic when he is abroad.

It means that someone may have to be relieved of their ministerial portfolio in order to have the Senate properly constituted.

The other new faces to the Cabinet are:

* Brent Sancho, former national footballer, has now been added to the Cabinet as Minister of Sport, ( leaving Rupert Griffith once again with Science and Technology)

* Christine Newallo-Hosein, a former Advisor to the Prime Minister at the Ministry of the People and Social Development, as Minister of the People and

* Kwasi Mutema, Minister in the Ministry in Works and Infrastructure.

George’s justice portfolio is now added to Prakash Ramadhar’s Ministry of Legal Affairs; and Stacy Roopnarine, was moved from Works and assigned to Gender, Youth and Child Development.

The five new members of the Government would be in office for a maximum of seven months as the country is on the “cusp” of a general election.

The Prime Minister spent much of her address criticising Rowley, saying he had an obligation to inform the President, if the knew, about the alleged witness tampering allegation.

“Failure by the Opposition Leader to do so at the time when he was consulted about the appointment by myself- we had discussions...it would also have been obligatory upon him to have informed His Excellency.

Failure by the Opposition Leader to do so at the time does create doubt to any independent observer as to why no mention was made at the time of the appointment in November.... Given the political sensitivity and nature of the alleged incidents it would have been not just prudent but mandatory that both myself and His Excellency, the President be informed. Withholding such information has seriously compromised the appointment of the Director of the PCA,” the Prime Minister said.

She also chastised Rowley for not disclosing that West was involved as a witness in the defamation lawsuit brought by Ramlogan against him. “Had there been a disclosure by the Opposition Leader of the personal interest in a legal matter involving himself and the Director of the PCA at the point of his nomination to be head of the PCA, the conflict of interest would have been declared,” the Prime Minister said.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #389 on: February 03, 2015, 03:04:52 AM »
AG: I was target of opposition forces
T&T Newsday Reports.

ATTORNEY General Anand Ramlogan last night said he understood the decision of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to accept his resignation saying it was in the public interest.

In a press release, Ramlogan said, “I understand and accept the decision of the Honourable Prime Minister to relieve me of my duties as a Senator and Attorney General. The Prime Minister has acted in the public interest to uphold the Constitution and the Rule of Law and I support these higher ideals.”

Ramlogan continued, “The job of Attorney General is a challenging and difficult one. I was marked from the day I was appointed, as I became a favourite target of forces opposed to the Government. It has not been an easy ride but I am happy that I was given the opportunity to be of service to my Government and country.” He also stated, “I wish to thank the many who supported me during my tenure.

“My accomplishments, dedication and hard work would not have been possible without their loyalty and commitment. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to serve in the People’s Partnership administration and wish to reassure the Honourable Prime Minister, my Cabinet colleagues and the public that I remain firmly committed to building a better nation for our children to inherit.” See Page 9A

1]; } ?>