March 28, 2024, 11:35:21 PM

Author Topic: Is Samuel Eto'o the world's best striker?  (Read 8430 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Is Samuel Eto'o the world's best striker?
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
Is Samuel Eto'o the world's best striker?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/piersedwards/2010/11/six_months_ago_the_question.html

Piers Edwards

Six months ago the question couldn't have been asked but it's certainly relevant now following the coaching changes at Inter Milan, Diego Milito's recent absence and the goals, the endless goals: is there a better striker in the world right now than Samuel Eto'o?

The Cameroonian's goalscoring ability hasn't been in question since his Real Mallorca days but it was hidden under a bushel during Jose Mourinho's reign at the San Siro given the latter's preference for Milito to single-handedly spearhead this attack.

"When we had the chance to bring in Eto'o, I thought I could play 4-4-2 and 4-3-3," Mourinho has said. "I knew that in Europe you needed to be more balanced and Eto'o could give me that."

So the Portuguese bought the Indomitable Lion for his versatility which initially saw Eto'o deployed as Milito's partner before being withdrawn more and more onto the flanks until some were jokingly describing him as a full back.

It's impossible to knock the ploy though since Inter secured an historic treble - and Eto'o, for the record, says he's grateful for the unexpected modification to his game, one which displayed the depth of his footballing ability.

"I will never stop thanking Mourinho - he made me discover a different position," the 29-year-old has said. "I never imagined I could play there. He made me more complete and this gives me more security."

That said, the arrival of Rafa Benitez has unleashed the predatory beast that is the Douala-born destroyer, the man whose Barcelona spell brought 108 goals in 144 league games.

"With Mourinho we played on the counter-attack, with Benitez we press more and that's better for forwards because we win back the ball higher up the pitch and create more chances," Eto'o has said.

"For a forward it's important to play close to the goal. It's more complicated for me when playing on the wings."

Eto'o started out wide under Benitez but with greater freedom since he was largely relieved of his back-tracking duties and, with a point to prove after Cameroon's disappointing World Cup, the Indomitable Lion - 'I had a bad summer' - is back doing what he does best.

He's the leading scorer in both Serie A, with seven in nine, and the Champions League where he's red-hot - with seven in four. In his first game up front following Milito's injury, Eto'o bagged a hat-trick against Werder Bremen, and he's been there ever since.

And while the three-time African Footballer of the Year's finishing is impressing (not just the poacher's goals that were his bread-and-butter at Barca but also well-hit efforts from the edge of the box), so is his all-round game as well - particularly his movement and link-up play.

The weighting of Eto'o's passes are normally near-perfect, as his assists in the Champions League wins over Werder Bremen and Tottenham Hotspur showed.

His close control and first-touch are also world-class, able to kill a lengthy ball dropping over his shoulder (witness his sublime second against Bremen) or control any pass fired at him - as shown when scoring against Palermo or teeing up Dejan Stankovic in the 4-3 win at home to Spurs.

The Cameroonian gave a master class in the art of a forward in the first half of that match, making two and scoring two, the second a typical Eto'o strike where his run off the shoulder of the last defender was timed to perfection.

At White Hart Lane on Tuesday, Harry Redknapp's perfectly-executed tactics ensured Tottenham's midfield cut the crucial supply lines to Eto'o but the insatiable forward still brought Inter back into a match where they were over-run, scoring a beauty out of nothing to set Spurs hearts racing.

To be the world's best out-and-out striker at present, the Inter star would clearly have to be better than the usual cast. So is he?

For my money, the only man who can rival him at present is another African - Didier Drogba, whose form (like Eto'o's) has been unaffected by this summer's World Cup and who's bagged seven goals so far while creating another six.

Although their styles differ - one a battering ram of brute force strength who is good in the air and on the deck, the other a smaller more lithe version with a greater element of finesse - their unerring eye for goal is as good as their form this season.

The same cannot be said of other big names - David Villa and Diego Forlan - who are suffering a World Cup hangover, while recent pretenders to the throne of the world's best forward have dropped off: see Wayne Rooney and Fernando Torres.

There is of course another man who's flying even if Cristiano Ronaldo is not an out-and-out striker, playing more central these days admittedly but in the hole behind Gonzalo Higuain. The winker kept Madrid in the title hunt last season, on his own at times, and he's picked up where he left off in La Liga, netting 11 in nine.

Lionel Messi has also been banging in the goals for Barcelona (12 now) despite not being at his best, fatigue seemingly taking its toll, but the Argentinian is another who cannot really be considered as a pointman.

Across Europe, there are dozens of strikers in good form (Nicolas Anelka and Fernando Llorente to name but two) but I guess the question, in true pub banter style, is this: if you had to choose a striker to convert a chance upon which your life depended, who would it be? I know mine.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Is Samuel Eto'o the world's best striker?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
I think Drogba and Eto is the top 2 forwards in the game right now. For some reason the papers and media don't like giving Eto much attention, not to mention the Fifa awards folks. It's not like he just started playing and scoring goals like it was going out of style, he been doing this since his Mallorca days.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
No.

The world's best striker currently is Gonzalo Higuain
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
No.

LOLLLLLL

Eto'o hands down is the best striker in the world currently...followed by Drogba

I dont rate Higuain at all...I think he is very lazy and technically poor and his overall contribution is poor compared to most strikers....  He is a better version of Inzahgi.. to be fair he scores goals but they have more strikers out there with goals and overall ability than Higuain ....

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »
Of course he is, there's no argument there.  And Laporta is de dunciest owner in de world
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
ETO talk done!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »
Of course he is, there's no argument there.  And Laporta is de dunciest owner in de world

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
No.

Higuain makes the right runs but half the time he misses the target for no apparent reason.

1. Eto'o
2. Drogba
3. Villa
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:54:39 PM by Peong »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
Jorsling  :beermug:

Alright, Eto'o  :thumbsup:

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:12:21 PM »
No.

LOLLLLLL

Eto'o hands down is the best striker in the world currently...followed by Drogba

I dont rate Higuain at all...I think he is very lazy and technically poor and his overall contribution is poor compared to most strikers....  He is a better version of Inzahgi.. to be fair he scores goals but they have more strikers out there with goals and overall ability than Higuain ....

I agree that Eto'o is best striker in world...but I urge you to reconsider your stance on Higuain...really...

Gonzo is one of the top 5 strikers in the world..with ease...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 07:04:07 PM »
I glad he finally getting the respect he deserves.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
Best striker is Milito but he is carrying some knocks/ out of shape at the moment. Eto and Milito or Pandev all had the same responsibilities but Milito spearheaded the attack. El Pricipe scored to win the scudetto, italia cup against roma and against bayern and barca, even chelsea so.. he deserved the best striker award.

Offline xixgon

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 01:26:20 AM »
Eto'o finally get back a central role - he eh foragin for Mourinho again.

He makin Barca look rather premature and foolish right now (not that the transfer market has been Pep's strength in the last few years).

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
Is guardiola call that shot. He wanted Dinho, Deco and Eto'o gone at all costs.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 06:05:04 AM »
Eto is the best striker

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 06:22:19 AM »
He is one of my favourite players ever. He plays with passion and pride.He works hard for the team and is a pest to any defence. His most important quality for me is that he is a big game player with great deal of mental toughness. He makes my World 11 any day, everyday. Yes I think he is the best right now.

Pep make a out selling this guy. I will agree with Xixgon that Pep is not the greatest in the transfer market.That Ibra buy was terrible for instance. He also bought Keirrison then proceeded to loan him out all over the place.  Another player who never caught on was Hleb. For all of Barca's strength right now they are very thin at that position. If Villa is out Bojan is next in line and frankly he can't cut it.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 10:08:12 AM »

Not according to an interview I read that Eto gave to one of Barcelona's newspapers, I was there a few days after the axe drop, all Barca fans were somber.  Put it this way, either one of them was foolish to let this happen.  Happy for him though, play yuh fitball  :devil:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 10:12:32 AM »

Not according to an interview I read that Eto gave to one of Barcelona's newspapers, I was there a few days after the axe drop, all Barca fans were somber.  Put it this way, either one of them was foolish to let this happen.  Happy for him though, play yuh fitball  :devil:

On most of the Barca forums i on....the fans were most excited. In my view....Pep and La Porta eh like de man..so dem was willing to force him out at all costs. And i hearing real people trying to justify it....oh...he's a disruptive influence in the dressing room. Strange....one of the first people to initiate a huddle is Etoo. Den on top of dat yuh replace him with Zlatan..who is a world class cudder muckin funt. Oh...he getting down in age. Xavi older dan him by a lil bit..and Xavi get he contract renewed. In fact..everybody from that treble squad get renewals except for him...and then yuh bring in Zlatan and pay him even more money than Etoo was asking for.

Ingratitude worse dan obeah..and Barca was DAMN ungrateful. Let dem ketch dey ass a lil bit.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »
For all of Barca's strength right now they are very thin at that position. If Villa is out Bojan is next in line and frankly he can't cut it.

You kidding right?

Bojan?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
One of my favorite players of all time, I watching the man since Mallorca days.

I can't lie, i really get kinda sour on Barcelona since that sale. I does still watch them and enjoy the brand but i holding ah big grudge and I does even laugh at them when they get bore. All when Ronaldinho was there i used to have a running argument with some breddren that for me Eto'o was the boss on the side. For all the skill and touches and brilliance, at the end of the day yuh can't put a price on a man who WILL bore at any given time. Yuh dont sell a man that have ice water in he veins and will guarantee to bore in the biggest fixtures.

The man have everything in terms of raw tools.. Speed, power, movement, finishing ability, awareness... But the one thing that sets him apart from any other striker in football (like Jordan in b-ball) is the brain. He is the consummate big game player and has an impeccable sense of occasion and will always leave it all out on the pitch. Also, i give the man real credit for taking one for the team and playing right wing and right back under Jose and adapting to the role so well. Few strikers would be that unselfish to adapt a role like that for the sake of the team.

I so vex that Barca sell the man i almost want to suggest that they racist and on a mission to 'Catalunyize' the side (which is also how I explaining Busquets sweat in front of Yaya). Ah mean what other possible reason could it have to sell that?

Gimme ah break with the disruptive talk, the man disrupt the dressing room all the way to a first time ever treble.. Yuh supposed to let that kick up all he want.

That sale erase all possibility of the Barcelona dynasty that could have been.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 09:55:47 AM »
One of my favorite players of all time, I watching the man since Mallorca days.

I can't lie, i really get kinda sour on Barcelona since that sale. I does still watch them and enjoy the brand but i holding ah big grudge and I does even laugh at them when they get bore. All when Ronaldinho was there i used to have a running argument with some breddren that for me Eto'o was the boss on the side. For all the skill and touches and brilliance, at the end of the day yuh can't put a price on a man who WILL bore at any given time. Yuh dont sell a man that have ice water in he veins and will guarantee to bore in the biggest fixtures.

The man have everything in terms of raw tools.. Speed, power, movement, finishing ability, awareness... But the one thing that sets him apart from any other striker in football (like Jordan in b-ball) is the brain. He is the consummate big game player and has an impeccable sense of occasion and will always leave it all out on the pitch. Also, i give the man real credit for taking one for the team and playing right wing and right back under Jose and adapting to the role so well. Few strikers would be that unselfish to adapt a role like that for the sake of the team.

I so vex that Barca sell the man i almost want to suggest that they racist and on a mission to 'Catalunyize' the side (which is also how I explaining Busquets sweat in front of Yaya). Ah mean what other possible reason could it have to sell that?

Gimme ah break with the disruptive talk, the man disrupt the dressing room all the way to a first time ever treble.. Yuh supposed to let that kick up all he want.

That sale erase all possibility of the Barcelona dynasty that could have been.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
I always loved this one.  Check Lucio in panic.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfH46J6Dlws" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kfH46J6Dlws</a>

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »
World's best striker last year scored the most goals in the world's best league where the world's best players play and for the world's best team. TherM is non better than Messi who converts better than any other player on the planet.
He is not a striker ??? try telling that to the goalkeepers of La Liga and the top clubs in europe .

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 10:57:06 AM »
For all of Barca's strength right now they are very thin at that position. If Villa is out Bojan is next in line and frankly he can't cut it.

You kidding right?

Bojan?
Bojan is the next striker. Look at who comes on all the time. The youth couldn't buy a goal these days.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 11:04:01 AM »
Leo Messi the world's deadliest striker ! ...just from the 2007 season til now ....

2007–08 season

Messi takes Barcelona to 2–0 against Sevilla at Camp Nou on 22 September 2007During the 2007–08 season, Messi scored five goals in a week leading Barcelona to the top four in La Liga. On 19 September he scored once as Barcelona defeated Lyon 3–0 at home in a Champions League match.[46] He scored two goals against Sevilla on 22 September[47] and then on 26 September, Messi scored another two goals in a 4–1 victory over Real Zaragoza.[48] On 27 February, Messi played in his 100th official match for Barcelona against Valencia.[49]

Messi was nominated for a FIFPro World XI Player Award under the category of Forward.[50] A poll conducted in the online edition of the Spanish newspaper Marca had him as the best player in the world with 77 percent of the vote.[51] Columnists from Barcelona-based newspapers El Mundo Deportivo and Sport stated that the Ballon d'Or should be given to Messi, a view supported by Franz Beckenbauer.[52] Football personalities such as Francesco Totti have declared that they consider Messi to be one of the current best footballers in the world.[53]

Messi was sidelined for six weeks following an injury on 4 March when he suffered a muscle tear in his left thigh during a Champions League match against Celtic. It was the fourth time in three seasons that Messi suffered this type of injury.[54]

2008–09 season

Messi in a match against Deportivo La CoruñaUpon Ronaldinho's departure from the club, Messi inherited his number 10 jersey.[55] On 1 October 2008, during a Champions League match against Shakhtar Donetsk, Messi scored two goals during the last seven minutes, after coming on as a substitute for Thierry Henry, to turn a 1–0 deficit to a 2–1 victory for Barcelona.[56] The next league game was versus Atlético Madrid, a match billed as a friendly battle between Messi and his good friend Sergio Agüero.[57] Messi scored a goal from a free kick and assisted another as Barça went on to win the match 6–1.[58] Messi netted another impressive brace against Sevilla scoring a volley from 23 metres (25 yd) and then dribbling round the goalkeeper and scoring from a tight angle for the other.[59] On 13 December 2008, during the first Clásico of the season, Messi scored the second goal in Barcelona's 2–0 win over Real Madrid.[60] He was also named second in the 2008 FIFA World Player of the Year awards with 678 points.[8]

Messi scored his first hat-trick of 2009 in a Copa del Rey tie against Atlético Madrid which Barcelona won 3–1.[61] Messi scored another important double on 1 February 2009, coming on as a second half substitute to help Barcelona defeat Racing Santander 1–2 after being 1–0 down. The second of the two strikes was Barcelona's 5000th league goal.[62] In the 28th round of La Liga, Messi scored his 30th goal of the season in all competitions, helping his team to a 6–0 victory over Málaga in the process.[63] On 8 April 2009, he scored twice against Bayern Munich in the Champions League, setting a personal record of eight goals in the competition.[64] On 18 April, Messi notched his 20th league goal of the season in a 1–0 win at Getafe, allowing Barcelona to maintain their six-point advantage at the top of the league table over Real Madrid.[65]

As Barcelona's season was drawing to a close, Messi scored twice (his 35th and 36th goals in all competitions) to cap a 6–2 win over Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu[66] in what was Real's heaviest defeat since 1930.[67] After scoring each goal, he ran towards the fans and the cameras lifting up his Barcelona jersey and showing another T-shirt that read Síndrome X Fràgil, Catalan for Fragile X Syndrome, to show his support for children who suffer from the affliction.[68] Messi was involved in the build-up to Andrés Iniesta's injury time goal against Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final to send Barcelona through to face Manchester United in the final. He won his first Copa del Rey on 13 May, scoring one goal and assisting another two, in a 4–1 victory over Athletic Bilbao.[69] He helped his team win the double by winning La Liga. On 27 May he helped Barcelona win the Champions League by scoring a second goal in the 70th minute giving Barcelona a two goal lead; he also became the top scorer in the Champions League, the youngest in the tournament's history, with nine goals.[70] Messi also won the UEFA Club Forward of the Year: and the UEFA Club Footballer of the Year rounding off a spectacular year in Europe.[71] This victory meant Barcelona had won the Copa del Rey, La Liga and Champions League in the one season,[72] and was the first time a Spanish club had ever won the treble.[73]

2009–10 season
"Once he's on the run, Messi is unstoppable. He's the only player who can change direction at such a pace."
"He is the best player in the world by some distance. He's (like) a PlayStation. He can take advantage of every mistake we make."

Arsène Wenger after Barcelona won 4–1 against Arsenal.[74][75]
Messi in action during the Joan Gamper Trophy match between Barcelona and Manchester City at Camp NouAfter winning the 2009 UEFA Super Cup, Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola asserted that Messi was probably the best player he had ever seen.[76] On 18 September, Messi signed a new contract with Barcelona, running until 2016 and with a buy-out clause of €250 million included, making Messi, along with Zlatan Ibrahimović, the highest paid players in La Liga, with earnings of around €9.5 million yearly.[77][78] Four days later, on 22 September, Messi scored two goals and assisted another in Barça's 4–1 win over Racing Santander in La Liga.[79] He scored his first European goal of the season on 29 September in a 2–0 win over Dynamo Kyiv,[80] and then took his goal tally to six goals in seven games in La Liga with a strike during a 6–1 routing of Real Zaragoza at Camp Nou.[81][82]

Messi was named winner of the 2009 Ballon d'Or on 1 December 2009, beating runner-up Cristiano Ronaldo by largest ever margin of 473 to 233.[83][84][85] Afterwards, France Football magazine quoted Messi as saying: "I dedicate it to my family. They were always present when I needed them and sometimes felt even stronger emotions than me."[86]

Messi during 2009 FIFA Club World Cup.On 19 December, Messi scored the winner in the final of the 2009 Club World Cup against Estudiantes in Abu Dhabi, giving the club their sixth title of the year.[87] Two days later, he was given the FIFA World Player of the Year award; beating Cristiano Ronaldo, Xavi, Kaká and Andrés Iniesta to the award. This was the first time he had won the award, and he became the first Argentinean to ever receive this honour.[88] On 10 January 2010, Messi scored his first hat-trick in 2010 and his first hat-trick of the season against Tenerife in the 0–5 victory,[89] and on 17 January he scored his 100th goal for the club in the 4–0 victory over Sevilla.[90]

Messi then started an impressive run scoring 11 goals in five games. First he scored on the 84th minute against Málaga for a 2–1 win,[91] then he scored two goals against Almería in a 2–2 tie.[92] He continued his spree with an impressive week where he scored eight goals; he started by scoring a hat-trick against Valencia in a 3–0 home win,[93] then he scored two goals against Stuttgart, in a 4–0 win that secured Barcelona's qualification to the quarterfinals of the Champions League,[94] and finally he scored another hat-trick against Zaragoza in a 4–2 away win,[95] becoming the first Barcelona player to score back-to-back hat-tricks in La Liga.[96] He played his 200th official match for Barcelona against Osasuna on 24 March 2010.[97]

On 6 April 2010, for the first time in Messi's career he scored four goals in a single match, netting the lot in a 4–1 home win over Arsenal in the Champions League quarter-final second leg.[98][99][100] This also saw him overtake Rivaldo as Barcelona's all time greatest scorer in the competition.[101] On 10 April, Messi scored his 40th goal of the season when he netted the first goal in a 2–0 away win against title-rivals Real Madrid in El Clásico.[102] On 1 May, Messi played his 50th game of the season and scored two goals on a 4–1 away win against Villarreal.[103] Just three days later, on 4 May, Messi scored two goals in another 4–1 win at home against Tenerife.[104] Messi scored his 32nd goal of the La Liga season on 8 May, during an away win against Sevilla,[105] and in the final match against Valladolid, he scored two goals in the second half to tie Ronaldo's club record of 34 goals in a single league season, set in 1996–97,[106][107] and to finish four goals behind the all-time record held by Telmo Zarra.[108] He was named La Liga player of the year for the second year in a row on 3 June 2010.[109]

2010–11 season
On 21 August 2010, Messi scored a hat-trick in his first start of the season in a 4–0 victory over Sevilla in the Supercopa de España, helping Barcelona secure their first trophy of the season after a 1–3 first leg loss.[110] He also began his league season with a goal, scoring after just 3 minutes against Racing Santander on 29 August 2010. He then continued his excellent form into the UEFA Champions League group stage match against Panathinaikos where he scored 2 goals, assisted another 2 and also hit the goal-frame on 2 separate occasions. He also missed a penalty, though. Barcelona won the match 5–1.

On 19 September 2010, Messi suffered an ankle injury due to an ill-advised tackle by Atlético Madrid defender Tomáš Ujfaluši in the 92nd minute of their Round 3 match at the Vicente Calderón Stadium. At first sight it was feared that Messi suffered a broken ankle that could have kept the star player away from the pitch for a minimum of six months but MRI performed the next day in Barcelona showed he suffered a sprain in the internal and external ligaments of his right ankle.[111] Team-mate David Villa stated "the tackle on Messi was brutal" after watching the video of the play and also added that he believed the Atlético defender "didn't go into the tackle to hurt".[112] The incident caused widespread media attention and brought up the debate of equality in protecting all players in the game.

When he recovered he scored in a 1–1 tie against Mallorca. He then scored another brace on the UEFA Champions League against København and helped the team to a 2–0 home win.[113] He continued his impressive scoring run with braces against Zaragoza and Sevilla. After a prolific October, he started November scoring on an away 1-1 tie against København and an away 3-1 win against Getafe where he also assisted teammates David Villa and Pedro Rodríguez.[

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 11:44:40 AM »
We could go go back and forth about who's the best in the world till we are blue in the face.

I will say this though, he is a BIG GAME PLAYER.

He bore every big side in world football - Real, AC, ManUre, Arsenal, Chelsea et al. Scored in 2 CL finals and numerous goals to break a deadlock in the closing minutes of a game.

Why would seemingly educated, experienced individuals in Barca sell him for someone who has history of attitude and disciplinary problems in that of Zlatan?

Samu is ah boss player that has never been a media darling like those of his compatriots for whatever reason.

But to go from a silky finisher to someone who was always trying to karate kick the ball into the net but only succeeded in putting it into the stands. The more I think about, the more I getting vex. 

Més que un club.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »
Steupppsss....one shit thread.

Bendtner on he worse day better than all of them.   ::)

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »
That is exactly why Busquets was favoured in front of Yaya. This is also the reason why Marcos Senna was shunned by Spain in the past few years, to make room for natives.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
No.

Nah Palos...

I's a big RM fan, and I cyah even endorse that....

I wouldn't go as far as SM and say that he's lazy and techincally poor, but he's not the best....

Drogba is the closest thing to unstoppable in the 18yrd box on his day, so I'll give Drogba the no.1 striker in the world, currently...Messi of course is also unstoppable on his day, but I eh think we calling him a striker....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:53:41 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »

Bendtner on he worse day better than all of them.   ::)

Més que un club.

1]; } ?>