March 28, 2024, 04:30:29 AM

Author Topic: Should our Goalkeepers play basketball to help improve.  (Read 13821 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should our Goalkeepers play basketball to help improve.
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »
playing all them other sports might do more harm than good. Just do proper training. Once you have a good goalkeeper coach.
        How many clubs/teams have goalkeeping Coaches,how many schools have goalkeeping Coaches,Coaches usually train everybody together and hope for the best where goalkeeping is concerned (i'm referring to T&T), goalkeeping is a specialized position and you often find Coaches don't have a clue how to train them.T&T was always blessed with good keepers can anyone tell me who were the goalkeeping Coaches we had?i can call a number of quality Goalkeepers the army had and we never had a goalkeeping Coach,some peeps does get tied up with this coaching thing,i just want to draw an example here since the WI get a Cricket Coach they can't see their way,you not getting the quality Cricketers we used too have when we didn't have Coach.

Coops, I agree with much what you saying. I really can't see play basketball causing more harm than good unless (1) you twist yuh ankle (2) the person must be waivering whether to play basketball over football. I think it will help in hand eye coordination and also jumping. But I don't think it is necessary.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:45:40 PM by Deeks »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »
No footballer going to play basketball just so, if he or she never play basketball before, especially if they have no interest in basketball , lets be real. Same goes for any other sport.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Cant see a connection between the two sports ,that would lead one to beleive that BB could help .Except if you have a 7 foot keeper ,he could stretch his hand the stop the ball in the V .
What yah go do start ,start bouncing the ball out ,nasty cross overs and shit .
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:43:51 PM by Quags »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »
I encourage young Goalkeepers to play basketball,those who want to be or like goalkeeping,i think the basic fundamentals of goalkeeping can be enhanced and developed from playing the game eg hand ball coordination, catching techniques,distribution etc etc 

There is no way Basketball teaching GK catching technique, no way. If you want GK to play another sport, let them play tennis. Almost all footballer will benefit from playing tennis. Not ping pong eh.
       Breds you gone on to something else,we talking about Goalkeeping not all Footballers,i was very good at Badminton and Field hockey those games i think enhanced my game in some way.Now tell me what will help a Goalkeeper catching technique Coach,i looking for some tips.

I thought it was obvious, thr footworked required to play tennis will definetly assist a GK. When it comes to specific technique of GKing, I don't think you want your keeper going for a cross ball with one hand, or snatching at a ball. Catching a Basketball and catching a football is two totally different technique. From the shape of the hands, to the securing of the ball, it is different.

Hand eye cordination, yes, some footwork yes, but as much as pure technique go for Gking, not basketball. It's better you just play catch with your Gkers using eggs.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
Wicket Keeper...

Now that make sense!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
how about some extensive consistent Goal keeper specific training.

that is probably what they need to do versus play basketball.

repetition and instruction

That is the way to learn.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 12:08:05 PM »
how about some extensive consistent Goal keeper specific training.

that is probably what they need to do versus play basketball.

repetition and instruction

That is the way to learn.

Yes but sometimes another sport can help you refine or even sharpen certain techniques you would require for your primary sport. As for goalkeepers I will argue volleyball might be better because as a previous poster indicated, it comprises of jumping, diving, timing and type of athleticism goalkeepers need that maybe beneficial to them.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »
stueps alyuh men not being realistic. Most people if not all. NOT going to find another sport to play just to improve they goal keeping technique.
Youtube Channel

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
I'm not saying for keepers to pick up another sport just to improve goalkeeping techniques but playing another sport can help goalkeepers enhance certain skills and this does not go to just goalkeepers. Many athletes play other sports in the off-season to help them sharpen certain skills.

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
I played a lot of basketball, and I must admit it did help my goalkeeping.  With this said, I would not say that it is imperative that a goalkeeper should play basketball.  I believe good goalkeeping coaching is the key for good goalkeeping. 

Trevor

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 01:26:02 PM »
I play goalkeeper and I played alot of basketball when I was younger and i think i can see where certain aspects of basketball brought a cross-training benefit.

Basketball helps improve hand-eye coordination which is crucial for goalkeepers. A simple technique like rebounding calls for good positioning, awareness and quick reaction time.. When a ball is flighted from a teammate's pass, you need to know how to gauge the ball to reach first and as a goalkeeper it helps decision making to know when to come for cross balls and when to stay. Even just a simple thing as being better at handling a ball thrown to you at pace without having to think about it will help because as a goalkeeper it will improve comfort in dealing with shooting. Should also help alot with distribution.

That being said, i can't see how picking up the sport at this stage could help a goalkeeper who has had no prior experience with it already well into his football career.  I more feel like you had to have been a sweater already to realize the cross training benefit.

Also, i think most sports can bring cross training benefits in some form or fashion. I was reading an article about the Ajax Academy and it talked about how they teaching the youths martial arts and judo because it helps with balance and coordination etc. Interesting stuff.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Should forwards  run track to improve their running and stamina?     :devil: :devil: :devil:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 03:35:10 PM »
Should forwards  run track to improve their running and stamina?     :devil: :devil: :devil:

u is a real joker, oui

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »

make a new thread for that  :devil:
Youtube Channel

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »
There are  a plethora of drills and exercises for every aspect of goalkeeping that are specific to GK training that you still wouldn't get from any other sport.  Hand-eye coordination, reflex drills, footwork, going up for crosses (including which leg you should push off with depending on the direction the ball is coming from and if you are being challenged by an opponent for the cross) agility exercises, tip drills, strength training and the list goes on and on......when you map out a proper training regimen for your GK's over a season, season after season, you won't need your GK to be involved in any other sport to particularly improve his goalkeeping. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 12:18:43 AM »
I've been refraining from weighing in on this topic for most of the past week, because I never play goalkeeper on any serious level to really say what would work from what wouldn't.  However, I played enough basketball in college that I could have minored in the sport... the amount of hours I spent on the court.  I never played scholastically, but I played enough ball competitively on the intramural and rec league level to add to the discussion.  I would be surprised if anything could be learned by a prospective goalkeeper, other than maybe some footwork.... maybe.

I like Elan's suggestion of tennis, b/c even though I never thought of it, it makes perfect sense with all of the lateral movement involved, including quick change of direction, and the demands of having to quickly go from crouching to full-stretch etc.  Not to sound contrary, but boxing out in basketball is a lot different from positioning in the box on crosses.  Boxing out requires you to get a firm (immovable) base and utilize your leverage against your opponent.  Contrary to what some may think, it's not about outjumping the other guy... there'll always be some guy who could jump out the gym as they say, who will beat you to the ball if all you try to do is out-jump the next man.  Charles Oakley could barely get three inches off the floor, yet was an excellent rebounder because he understood positioning and leverage.  Meanwhile  a leaper like Shawn Kemp (or even better, Kenny 'Sky' Walker) was a weak rebounder b/c he didn't understand how to battle on the boards.

Any racquet sport would be a sure bet in my book for all the above reasons related to tennis.  I would even go a step further and say 'handball' would be even better.  Not that nonsense you see for the Olympics (although for all I know it may help), but rather the "hand-ball-wall" game we play primarily in NYC.  The agility you get from that game is crazy. That to me develops the hand-eye coordination that many refer to... baskeball won't.  The basketball is too big and moves too slow to adequately develop the type of reflexes (I assume are) necessary for goalkeeping.  Further, the baskeball is too heavy to sufficiently prepare you for catching a football.  A regulation sized basketball weighs about 1.5 pounds... whereas FIFA regulations stipulate that the football weigh around 0.875 pounds (14-16 ounces). Almost half the weight of a basketball.  That's like arguing that playing with a medicine ball will make you a better basketball player.  Might make you stronger, but not better.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 12:26:42 AM »
not sure about the basketball goalkeeping link, but i wouldn't write it off. why not? i think many sports of transferable qualities. as someone mentioned, doing track can help with fitness and speed. i know of a guy who came through the dinamo kiev youth system and they had them doing ballet or gymnastics or something so. it even had a year in college when i was peeonging real dance dance revolution and my foot speed has never been as good - just saying ;D

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 08:46:49 AM »
Sam,

This is a thought-provoking thread.

They say that goalkeeping is “King Hands.”  I agree, but I say that it starts with “Boss Balance and Foot Work.”  Without them, you cannot get to “King Hands.”

Trevor

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »
Allyuh serious with this topic? ::)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »
Allyuh serious with this topic? ::)

:rotfl:  board starvin from lack of competitive football
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
IMAGINE SHAQ IN GOAL FOR THE US
NOBODY SCORING  :rotfl:

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:24:29 PM by Sando »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
Lincoln Phillips was one of our top keepers and he played Basketball too...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
Lincoln Phillips was one of our top keepers and he played Basketball too...
But was he one of our top keepers because he played basketball? I'm sure playing basketball wasn't the only other thing he did besides keeping goal. Who knows maybe he did both of these things because he was just naturally gifted athletically and those are the 2 sports he liked most? Brian Lara is/was a great cricketer but he was also a skilled football player and as I remember pretty good at table tennis as well. Now, was he good at cricket because of the other sports, or was it the other way around, or again maybe he just had natural athletic talent and those are the sports he used to express it?

Anyways, I find it interesting that it took several days and this discussion going to a second page for somebody to come up with possible benefits of playing basketball for our keepers. Also the phrasing of the initial question gave me the impression that there was a specific weakness that our keepers have that could be aided by their playing basketball. Haven't seen anybody point that out yet. So, as much as I believe in the fact that you can use other sports to help you develop skills needed for your primary sport this doesn't say much about the help that basketball can give to our keepers. Especially if they don't already have an interest in the sport.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:17:14 PM by Mose »
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2010, 12:20:44 PM »
They all just need to take ballet

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »
Some people are misunderstanding the question, and responding as if it is being asked whether or not certain aspects of goalkeeping training should be replaced by basketball training, or if goalkeepers should just up and take up basketball as a competitive sport to improve their skills.

I think what Sam is asking is whether or not there are attributes dveloped by basketballers (through their training and the sport in general) that would help our goalkeepers in certain areas...

I don't know enough about the technical aspects of either basketball or goalkeeping to say yes or no, but I don't think it's beyond reason to think that certain skills can be transferred between the two sports, and all it would take is some big wig coach/trainer to experiment with the cross functionalities of both games with some success for people to come on board.....if this hasn't already been done.   
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »
Is playing basketball the best method of goalkeeping training?
With Lincoln Phillips.

Answer: Absolutely not.

There is no game that can replace the proper training of the goalkeeper. While playing basketball sharpens several technical/tactical/fitness components of goalkeeping  (catching, throwing, jumping (upward), leaping (upward and forward), speed, agility, etc) it does not cover technical skills such as: diving, punching, kicking (volleying/half volleying), fielding low and mid range shots as well moving off the line to master 1 V 1's (in through-ball situations) and high ball in cross ball situations.

A quality goalkeeper who is proficient in basketball, will have a decisive advantage over another goalkeeper (all things being equal) who has not played basketball. The goalkeeper/basketballer has the tendency to be more proficient in catching the ball because he has had many more opportunities to do so than a goalkeeper who does not play basketball. Ball handling and jumping skills on the whole are easier to master when a goalkeeper is proficient in basketball. Indeed, basketball is a great supplimental game for goalkeepers but definitely not a replacement.

Supporting Information: I refer to my Book on goalkeeping entitled: Goalkeeping: The Last Line of Defense: The First Line of Attack (check out Amazon.com for reviews) In Chapter 3, Identifying Potential Goalkeepers at the Youth level.

I identified several sports which have implications for goalkeeping. They are as follows:

a. Basketball- look at the point guard and good rebounder.

b. Volley ball- Players with good jumping skills and quick reflexes in recovering spikes.

c. Cricket - Wicket Keepers and players fielding in positions close to the bat.

d. Baseball- The Catcher and players fielding close to the bat -base players and short stop).

e. Football (American)- defensive backs and wide receivers; offensive and defensive linemen.

If a coach is trying to identify potential goalkeepers, these games/positions  will uncover players who have the aptitude for goalkeeping.....there are many others but these are a few. In addition several of these games are great for cross-training with basketball and volleyball on top of the list.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:40:13 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »
At a younger age playing basketball helps kids develop "good goalkeeper hands" as it teaches them to get their body behind the ball.....but after age 12 or 13 it doesn't replace keeper training

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »
Nothing wrong with a bit of cross training.  Personally, I used basketball to work on cross balls and handling.  Going up for a rebound off a rim in a crowded key is like going up for a cross in a crowded box.  I believe the American goakeepers are world class because they inherently played these catching sports growing up: American football, baseball, basketball, lacrosse.  These all require essential hand-to-eye cocrdination and sound catching skills  that are definitely applicable and transferable to goalkeeping.  That said, there is no substitute for the fundamentals of goalkeeping, and this will only be mastered by constant specialist training for the position.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 07:23:53 AM »
Coming from a top keeper like Lincoln, I guess I will have to take his word on this.

Wish I could have seen these men like LP play.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>