April 26, 2024, 08:08:13 PM

Author Topic: Spann only addition for Digicel Finals  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Spann only addition for Digicel Finals
« on: November 23, 2010, 05:39:07 AM »
Spann only addition for Digicel Finals.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Midfielder Silvio Spann is the only addition to the 20-man T&T squad that will depart for Martinique today to participate at the 2010 Digicel Caribbean Cup Finals which kicks off on Friday.

Spann comes in to the team at the expense of Under-20 striker Shahdon Winchester as Russell Latapy has decided to stick with the majority of players who made up the squad that topped the recent Digicel Caribbean Cup group phase where T&T defeated Haiti, Guyana and St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Latapy conducted a final session yesterday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium minus LA Galaxy defender Yohance Marshall who was scheduled to arrive in Port of Spain last night. Spann, now attached to W Connection after leaving Welsh club Wrexham earlier this year, says he’s ready to cement his place.

He appeared briefly during the 2010 World Cup campaign after being a regular member during the 2006 World Cup qualifiers before missing the Germany Finals because of injury.

“It’s always an honour to play for the national team and it’s basically about getting back in the starting team and cementing a spot. I want to help the team continue from its winning ways and hopefully we can secure the title in Martinique,” Spann said. “Fitness wise I’m getting back to my best and there’s always room for improvement.

The good thing is I'm now at a different stage in my career and I’m more experienced so I know how to control my body a lot better and I can assess game situations better.” Spann said it was important that the senior players like himself lead by example.

“I honestly believe that I can offer a lot more in terms of passing on the experience. Players like myself and Densill Theobald are now considered to be the senior players and we have to carry that responsibility well. It’s also about building positive vibes off the pitch as well,” Spann added.

Coach Latapy expressed confidence in his squad which does not include San Jose Earthquakes striker Cornell Glen who is out through injury and LA Galaxy midfielder Chris Birchall who was excused due to club and personal commitments.

“We have to go there with the mindset that we are going to win and that’s what our preparations have been based on. My feeling remains the same. The Caribbean’s top two teams are T&T and Jamaica.

I will like to think that if all goes to form, both teams can top their groups and end up in the final. “My job is to get the best eleven players on the pitch.

In all fairness to the squad that played in the qualifiers, we played some decent football and got three good results, so the players deserve to be part of the squad for the Finals,” Latapy said following yesterday’s session.

T&T faces Cuba in their opening match on Friday and will then meet Grenada and Martinique. The Final is carded for December 5. The top four finishers will qualify for the Concacaf Gold Cup next year while the winners will receive US $120,000.

Squad

Goalkeepers – Jan Michael Williams (W Connection), Marvin Phillip (Joe Public)

Defenders – Kern Cupid (W Connection), Yohance Marshall (LA Galaxy), Julius James (DC United), Daneil Cyrus (Caledonia AIA), Joevin Jones (W Connection), Anthony Wolfe (DirecTV North East Stars).

Midfielders – Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA), Lester Peltier (Ma Pau), Kevin Molino (Ma Pau), Clyde Leon (W Connection), Trent Noel (Joe Public), Silvio Spann (W Connection), Keon Daniel (Puerto Rico Islanders), Kendall Jagdeosingh (Puerto Rico Islanders), Hughtun Hector (W Connection).

Forwards – Devon Jorsling (Defence Force), Jamal Gay (Unknown), Kerry Baptiste (Joe Public).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:04:51 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Spann only addition for Digicel Finals
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:48:19 AM »
Well Spanner!!

All the best!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:22:18 AM »
I really don't have a problem with that squad. I liked Latapy's comments on the news last night. All they're thinking about is winning.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:32:34 AM »
me eh know nah, ah mean winchester didn' exactly light it up, but havin seen some ah spann last performances and really not hearing much about him from where ever he plays ??? cant honestly see where he fittin in, dat could make anybody on dis team surplus to requirement :-\ .......... jus please god doh let it be RB/RWB :'(

but good squad all d same
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:39:12 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 06:33:03 AM »
Jamaica go bring back all they mls players but go t&t nice squad
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 06:39:06 AM »
played against Grenada last night here in the Stadium for their final warm up before the tourney. They beat us 3-1 (crap penalty that even the linesman knew wasn't a handball and admitted as much and deflection that went in, the other goal was a good goal).
We really should not have a problem against them, their team tends to give you a good bit of time on the ball and you can really run at them. The central defenders were surprisingly weak in the air, with some of our smaller players winning quite a few headers against them. They have brought back a couple semi pro players from england and their MLS based player.
Have a quick rasta fella playing striker, but it seems that they almost want to walk the ball in the net. I think they only took two shots from outside the box.
I expect TnT to take care of them with the squad we have
Back in Trini...

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:52:55 AM »
on another note I noticed he pretty much said that d players that got to d final round deserve to play in the final round, what then will be d policy for GC which will be a considerable step up, if dem fellas do good, what'll go on wit birchall, scotland, KJ, Carlos Edwards or more accurately who goin an get drop for dem...........I find dat does be d rough part ah dis whole deal, d locals does get us dere, an den does get cut or warm bench
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:58:48 AM »
I find dat does be d rough part ah dis whole deal, d locals does get us dere, an den does get cut or warm bench

Everybody have dey limitations. Some ah dem would be comfortable playing against Caribbean opposition, but den dey wouldn't be able to rise to de next level. It wouldn't be a rough deal if dey able to rise to de occasion.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:55 AM »
played against Grenada last night here in the Stadium for their final warm up before the tourney. They beat us 3-1 (crap penalty that even the linesman knew wasn't a handball and admitted as much and deflection that went in, the other goal was a good goal).
We really should not have a problem against them, their team tends to give you a good bit of time on the ball and you can really run at them. The central defenders were surprisingly weak in the air, with some of our smaller players winning quite a few headers against them. They have brought back a couple semi pro players from england and their MLS based player.
Have a quick rasta fella playing striker, but it seems that they almost want to walk the ball in the net. I think they only took two shots from outside the box.

Who team is that ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 07:40:10 AM »
I find dat does be d rough part ah dis whole deal, d locals does get us dere, an den does get cut or warm bench

Everybody have dey limitations. Some ah dem would be comfortable playing against Caribbean opposition, but den dey wouldn't be able to rise to de next level. It wouldn't be a rough deal if dey able to rise to de occasion.

d question is den, what will be done after DCC, if we qualify, to see who can make d step up, to be honest I would like to see us  go Asia or south America to see who can make dat step up, before GC, if we get there
I pity the fool....

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »
I’m more experienced so I know how to control my body a lot better

Ah boy he learn to not defend while putting both he hands behind he back.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 08:01:06 AM »
I’m more experienced so I know how to control my body a lot better

Ah boy he learn to not defend while putting both he hands behind he back.

Yuh remember dat one eh  :rotfl:

When I see dat I say wheeyy sah!

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 08:41:44 AM »
Latapy know Sealy is a Trini? steups coulda call the man he played good give him a shot nah jeez... I doubt to believe he can't make it on that team.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 09:10:25 AM »

Who team is that ?

St George's University squad...
Back in Trini...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
So...Spann reach back

Ah hope allyuh understand NOW who was REALLY pickin de team when Mats was "Head Coach" eh

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 10:01:24 AM »

I agree, I just wonder if they would be even given that first attempt to fail or their fate would already be decided because a "bigger name striker" come back. to me its a tough nut to crack because how do you bench K Jones but at the same time how do you bench Jorsling..  Latas better call Alex Ferguson and ask him what to do.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 10:07:51 AM »
How good is Kevin Molino anyone ?

I noticed Ma Pau made him their captain as well.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
Phillip
Jones
Daneil
James
Cupid
Hector
Leon
Baptiste
Noel
Spann
Jorsling

I feel we should faze of Trent Noel because he old now, but knowing Latas, he will start. Baptiste and Jorsling will combine good upfront.

How could Jamal Gay make this team ? he clubless to, what is the crtearia to make T&T side. AndreToussaint should be on this team.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:27:53 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
How de ass dey go leave out Winchester! De man need capping to play for Celtic.

Jamal Gay - club unknown haha
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:26:16 AM by supporter »
Hart for president

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
Phillip
Jones
Daneil
James
Cupid
Hector
Leon
Baptiste
Noel
Spann
Jorsling

I feel we should faze of Trent Noel because he old now, but knowing Latas, he will start. Baptiste and Jorsling will combine good upfront.

How could Jamal Gay make this team ? he clubless to, what is the crtearia to make T&T side. AndreToussaint should be on this team.
Agreed.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 11:07:56 AM »
How de ass dey go leave out Winchester! De man need capping to play for Celtic.

Jamal Gay - club unknown haha

Winchester playing for the under 20 maybe they need him more
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »
Latapy know Sealy is a Trini? steups coulda call the man he played good give him a shot nah jeez... I doubt to believe he can't make it on that team.

I am sure he is not available for personal reasons, Latas is smart...he wouldn't select local base players instead of MLS players.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
So...Spann reach back

Ah hope allyuh understand NOW who was REALLY pickin de team when Mats was "Head Coach" eh

We all know dat Spann was Latas pick 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »
Spann still better than Theobald, no matter what Lasana say.

Gay is a similar style of striker to Kenwyne and Jorsling so the style of play won't have to change if he comes on.

When Carlos come back he coming in for the RWB (Wolfe) and Birchall coming in for Leon or Trent. KJ might hadda work to displace Jorsling. All other foreign based, with the exception of Hyland not really needed.

For every Daryll Roberts, Scott Sealy and Osei Telesford who doh get pick, it have a Keon Daniel, Hayden Tinto, Kendall Jagdeosingh, Shahdon Winchster who men will want to know why they didn't get pick.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »
So...Spann reach back

And Aklie Edwards

And Densil Theobald

And Hayden Tinto

And Clyde Leon

And Makan Hislop

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »
So...Spann reach back

And Aklie Edwards

And Densil Theobald

And Hayden Tinto

And Clyde Leon

And Makan Hislop

and d reason Bermuda beat we?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »
re-establish yuhself Silvio...if yuh was good enough for Beenie, yuh good enough for me , play yuh game!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
re-establish yuhself Silvio...if yuh was good enough for Beenie, yuh good enough for me , play yuh game!!!

he could not even establish him self in the conference league ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »
So...Spann reach back

And Aklie Edwards

And Densil Theobald

And Hayden Tinto

And Clyde Leon

And Makan Hislop

and d reason Bermuda beat we?

De Jack List

Doh play like u eh know

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior