0 (0%)
Jamaica
10 (21.7%)
Antigua
0 (0%)
Guyana
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: 2010 Digicel Cup Thread.  (Read 21936 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Boyz stage protest, could boycott todays game vs Guadeloupe
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
I supporting the players!

As I said too much exploitation goes on in Caribbean football!
Slavery is over and this practice must come to an end!

On another note T&T doh deserve to go anywhere else but home even if the Ja players all get banned or something draconian like that!

The JFF recieved a check of US$75K from the government run Sports Development agency to assist with expenses for the DCC finals, so they can easily meet the players demands for the Per-Diem of US$1200 each for the tournament. The JFF would still have about 40K left after paying the per-diems. I suspect the issue the JFF has is the fact that they have to part with US$100K that the playes are asking for if they win the tournament. In the grand scheme of things, US$100K is a small price to pay for qualification to the GoldCup...and all teh revenue that will be lost f Jamaica gets an internatinal suspension. But knowing burrell, his Ego is to big for him to surrender to the demands of the boyz.

You are probably correct!
Burrell has said on more than one occasion that he admires Jack!
Jack has been giving him tips on how to be a great dictator!
Lesson one, its my way or the highway!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:22:05 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
JFF Avert Strike !!!!!
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2010, 11:31:30 AM »
Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president captain Horace Burrell has agreed to meet the demands of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz, after the team refused to train yesterday and threatened not to take any further part in the Digicel Caribbean Cup (DCC) currently under way in Martinique, unless certain conditions were met.

The team were demanding US1200 per diem and 80 percent of the prize money should they go on to win the DCC. At a meeting on Saturday the Federation offered US500 but that was turned down, forcing a stand-off between themselves and the governing body.

The players represented by senior players Shavar Thomas, Luton Shelton, Rodolph Austin and Jermaine Taylor have insisted that the stance is one based on principle and not about the money.

The protest action they said, was on behalf of players who previously represented the nation and ended up with not much to show for it and younger local players who are perhaps badly in need of the income.

"We won't lace up our boots unless we get the full per diem and 80 percent of the win bonus," Thomas told members of the media, at a meeting at the team's hotel yesterday.

"We have often been playing underpaid and under compensated, travelling far and wide sometimes without per diem. None of us do this for the money," he said.

under threat

The team's participation in the tournament had been under threat from the start as the cash-strapped Federation struggled to find funds to fund the trip. However, the Sports Development Foundation (SDF) intervened and provided the JFF with $6 million, but Burrell, while thanking the SDF and the government for their intervention, explained that after having to pay for airfare, additional rooms and other expenses, enough was not left to make the US100 per diem agreed to. The President following a meeting at the hotel last night has now promised to pay the remainder from his personal funds.

"I was actually shocked when I got the news from the head of delegation that there was actually a problem. Jamaica is a poor country but a proud people, there is lot of crime and football is one of the things that leads people in another direction," Burrell told members of the media.

" If they were to drop out of the tournament it would exasperate such situations and make our people sad. I have instructed the head of delegation that from my own personal funds, I will bow to your request, for my country and I will get the money to pay the funds all of you what have requested," Burrell added.

"I am asking you all to accept my request.

I am doing this in the interest of Jamaica, if we were to strike and not play that would cause embarrassment for the country. I will not allow Jamaica's name to be dragged through the mud. It has never happened before and I will not allow it to happen. The JFF president is not a paid position, I will not subject Jamaica to embarrassment. I will not subject Jamaica to ridicule."

Burrell also advised that the players would also be paid 80 percent of whatever is earned should they win the tournament.

Jamaica Star - on-line edition

-----------------------------------------------------------------
it takes a revolution to make a solution-bob marley

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »
  :applause: :applause:
Can believe man getting $300US for a game. In the summer in NY I make more than that by playing two games in a day. Smh

They're not getting $300US for a game, that is just their meal and expenses allowance.  Their game pay is a separate matter... as is the payment of the 50% bonus from any profit. 

The JFF recieved a check of US$75K from the government run Sports Development agency to assist with expenses for the DCC finals, so they can easily meet the players demands for the Per-Diem of US$1200 each for the tournament. The JFF would still have about 40K left after paying the per-diems. I suspect the issue the JFF has is the fact that they have to part with US$100K that the playes are asking for if they win the tournament. In the grand scheme of things, US$100K is a small price to pay for qualification to the GoldCup...and all teh revenue that will be lost f Jamaica gets an internatinal suspension. But knowing burrell, his Ego is to big for him to surrender to the demands of the boyz.

"per diem" literally means "per day" and in practical application that is the meaning as well.  When a per diem is quoted in professional sports it refers to a daily allowance for food and expenses.  A $1,200 US per diem is extravagant... unless liberty is being taken here with the usage of the term.

EDIT:

To be honest I have issues with how this is being done... unlike the situation with the TT players where a promise was made to them, this is essentially extortion by the players.  They knew the agreement going in and were happy enough with it to start the tournament.  Now that they are progressing they've decided to hold the Federation hostage to their demands.  If they were unhappy they should have protested before the tournament began. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:50:19 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »

On another note T&T doh deserve to go anywhere else but home even if the Ja players all get banned or something draconian like that!

reggae-fan, 'per diem' means 'per day' not 'for the whole tournament'. $1200 x 20 players for a full tournament is way more than $75k

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
Uncle Jack could step in and mediate a solution for this.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
LOL, Burrel surrendered...FOR NOW. I expect some sort of retaliation against the players that lead the "revolution" (some say blacklist?). Sad that he had to use his own funds to pay the players (Who are demanding a US$1,200 per match total $6000 for each player if they go all the way to the finals.)...thats about US$120K of his own funds (not that he cant afford it) if the team goes all the way to the finals.

How the JFF managed to move from a state of strong financial standing to paupers in the space of two years is beyond me.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »
LOL, Burrel surrendered...FOR NOW. I expect some sort of retaliation against the players that lead the "revolution" (some say blacklist?). Sad that he had to use his own funds to pay the players (Who are demanding a US$1,200 per match total $6000 for each player if they go all the way to the finals.)...thats about US$120K of his own funds (not that he cant afford it) if the team goes all the way to the finals.

How the JFF managed to move from a state of strong financial standing to paupers in the space of two years is beyond me.

Dey learn from d TTFF.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2010, 11:58:02 AM »

reggae-fan, 'per diem' means 'per day' not 'for the whole tournament'. $1200 x 20 players for a full tournament is way more than $75k

I think they mis-used the word 'per-diem'. The players are asking for $1,200 per game....which would amount to a sum total of US$6,000 per player if the team makes it all the way to the finals. In addition, 80% of the tournament winning fee would add another US$100,000 split between 20 = $5000 bonus. So at the end of the day, if boys won the whole thing, each player would get a guaranteed US$11,000....which i think is just reward.

But something tells me that Jamaica will not win the tournament.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: JFF Avert Strike !!!!!
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »

" If they were to drop out of the tournament it would exasperate such situations and make our people sad. I have instructed the head of delegation that from my own personal funds, I will bow to your request, for my country and I will get the money to pay the funds all of you what have requested," Burrell added.
Jamaica Star - on-line edition

I find alyuh let that slide. This sounds very familiar. Anyone could say who have stuttered these words before  ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline jamaica98

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
  :applause: :applause:
Can believe man getting $300US for a game. In the summer in NY I make more than that by playing two games in a day. Smh

I guess you did not get the per diem part.... google NBA per diem and see how much these multi millionaires get.

The $1,200 is per player for the entire time they are in Martinique; in other words less than $200.00 per day for meals, drinks, strip clubs etc.   Its a bit excessive in my book since most days (atleast under Simoes) the team cheff prepares their meals - maybe they are including hotel cost.  This explains somewhat the shopping trips these guys go one when they are on the road.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:20:07 PM by jamaica98 »

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 02:09:19 PM »

I think they mis-used the word 'per-diem'. The players are asking for $1,200 per game....which would amount to a sum total of US$6,000 per player if the team makes it all the way to the finals. In addition, 80% of the tournament winning fee would add another US$100,000 split between 20 = $5000 bonus. So at the end of the day, if boys won the whole thing, each player would get a guaranteed US$11,000....which i think is just reward.

And if they do win back to back for the first time, RF? :violin:
jjbrown

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »

And if they do win back to back for the first time, RF? :violin:

I hope I'm proven wrong, but i just get an eery feeling that we are going to lose a game, or get a real scare,  before this thing is all said and done.  It all depends on how hard the players want it, especially with the recent money squablles. Now that they have gotten their demands lets see them put their money where there mouth is (no pun intended). 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:17:39 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »
Let's hope the Reggae Boyz get the scare in the last game of this round with Guyana leading us 2 nil before they come back and equalise. Then score the winner in the last second of injury time. ;D
jjbrown

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No Digicel Scores?
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2010, 05:48:29 AM »
I find it difficult to understand why our Soca Site cannot bring the scores of the matches played.This is the biggest Caribbean tournament and it seems like no one cares,I had to revert to thereggaeboyz site to find the latest results,surely we are not that insular.It appears that we were only interested in the matches that TT played,we should still be showing interest in the games coz we love football,at least bring us the scores.

Offline jamaica98

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Digicel Cup Thread.
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
I just checked out the poll results   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
may be nothing but T&T Lifeline?
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »
So Guadalupe beat Antigua 1-0 today.
Means Antigua finish 3rd after Ja and Guadalupe. They have the same record as us, 3pts and -2 goal differential.
Wonder what will happen if Guadalupe, Cuba or Grenada can't make the Gold Cup for some reason....

Offline Yardie08

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: may be nothing but T&T Lifeline?
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
Means Antigua finish 3rd after Ja and Guadalupe. They have the same record as us, 3pts and -2 goal differential.
Wonder what will happen if Guadalupe, Cuba or Grenada can't make the Gold Cup for some reason....

Don't give Jack any ideas for sneaking in T&T!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »
I just checked out the poll results   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:'(
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: may be nothing but T&T Lifeline?
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »
http://dcc.digicelfootball.com/mvp-poll
Anyone notice something missing?  :devil:

I think Antigua and Barbuda would get the spot as they scored two goals to T&T's one.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:26:43 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline WARRIORKING

• Deep into weaponry
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2010, 01:15:12 AM »
things never change
My lyrical tendency`s equivalent to a critical felony
Precise behind bars like a criminal`s penalty
Pinnacle definitely, hold so much jewels in my miracle memory
It`s like I`m a physical treasury
I was born with a difficult destiny, not your typical mentally
Givin my vision through treacheries

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2010, 08:02:17 AM »
They should organise a match one time with T&T and Antigua before they leave, so they sort that situation out for the inevitable....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
"Football on the Up"
digicelfootball.com

As the Digicel Caribbean Cup finals 2010 continue in Martinique, the final four teams – Cuba; Grenada; Guadeloupe and Jamaica – are through to tomorrow’s semi-finals and automatically qualified into the CONCACAF Gold Cup 2011. Director of Scouting and Player Recruitment for the New York Red Bulls, Jeff Agoos, who is in Martinique to look for potential talent in the region spoke exclusively to www.digicelfootball.com about what he has seen so far.

“As the Director of Scouting and Player Recruitment for the New York Red Bulls, we hope to identify and track players from within the Caribbean region with a view to possibly inviting them to play with our club. The New York Red Bulls is part of the US soccer league structure – or Major League Soccer (MLS) and this is my fourth year as part of the Technical staff for the New York Red Bulls. “

Agoos, a former US National player, and winner of five MLS championships – three of which were with DC United and two with the San Jose Earthquakes – and the 2001 MLS defender of the year is enjoying the DCC finals in Martinique.

“So far in Martinique, yeah I think there are some interesting players here. Some of them we’ve obviously seen before and we want to continue to evaluate while some are new to us – so basically it’s an ongoing process. For me, talent here is really developing and there are a couple of different levels. Some of the bigger islands tend to export more players and have better technical ability, but I think the smaller islands are catching up and, over time, I suspect they’ll give the bigger countries a good run for their money.

“For players in the CONCACAF region, the MLS offers an alternative to going to play in Europe. The MLS is also a stepping stone for players and offers them a chance to get noticed by European clubs. The MLS is also one of the best – if not the best – leagues in the CONCACAF region and a lot of that is down to the players we’re bringing in from the Caribbean. In fact, we did an analysis recently and Jamaica was one of the top countries in terms of where we get our players from. There is a significant relationship between Jamaica and the MLS where we’ve seen players from Jamaica staying three years or more.

“Of course, the Digicel Caribbean Cup is very important for teams in the region as it gives them an idea of where they stand against each other – and of course it’s a big tournament in itself that a lot of people watch and a stepping stone to the Gold Cup. It offers players invaluable international experience and exposure – so for these players it is hugely important. For us, it’s really well run and well organised, everyone has been very friendly and we’re really impressed.

“Overall, while there is less structure and tactical ability in the Caribbean, football in the region has improved significantly from where it was a few years ago and it would be wonderful to see one of these teams qualify to the World Cup – and yes, we’ve definitely spotted some potential players for the New York Red Bulls but that’s all I can say…”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guadeloupe into DCC Final
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »
Defeated Cuba 2-1

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Guadeloupe into DCC Final
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »
Jamaica 1-0 Grenada Dane Richards after 5 minutes

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
Jamaica 1-0 Grenada 6 Dane Richards after 5 minutes
where you watchin that?

The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
Looks like the final will be between Guada & Ja?  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »
Jamaica 1-0 Grenada 6 Dane Richards after 5 minutes
where you watchin that?

No TV coverage, you can listen here http://www.ustream.tv/channel/martinique-digicel

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2010, 06:43:14 PM »
I predict at least one red card in this game...Grenada throwing some wild tackles

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
Grenada 1-1 Jamaica Baine after 12 mins

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »
I predict at least one red card in this game...Grenada throwing some wild tackles

So you are getting ah taste of your own medicine?!

That's interesting, BIG-UP GRENADA!!  :mackdaddy:

1]; } ?>