April 24, 2024, 05:37:48 AM

Author Topic: The Dwayne Gibbs Thread.  (Read 31903 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwayne Gibbs Thread.
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
Gibbs comes under the gun
Published: Sun, 2011-04-03 19:24
Anika Gumbs-Sandiford

Dwayne Gibbs has come under the gun. And, reliable sources have informed Sunday Guardian that if the Canadian-born does not show he has what it takes to fight crime in T&T in the next six months he may very well be given the boot. Gibbs, who has been on the job for the last six months, has failed to meet the expectation of the public and some members of the Government in the face of rising crime.  As a result, he is being closely scrutinised.  On the local election campaign trail, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had warned that a “specific clause” in Gibbs’ contract allowed him to be terminated if he did not perform.

According to top police officials, the man being eyed for the job if Gibbs’ three-year contract is terminated before time is Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Stephen Williams, who had failed to find favour with the People’s National Movement (PNM) administration. The PNM’s choice was James Philbert, while the United National Congress was in support of Williams. According to reliable legal sources, Gibbs’ dismissal could go into effect if the Police Service Commission (PSC), which is responsible for the appointment of a CoP and DCP, writes a report to the President outlining grounds for his dismissal. The legal source and a senior police official revealed yesterday: “The PSC decides if the CoP performs or not.” The PSC is expected to prepare an annual performance review in six  months time. Gibbs, in an earlier interview, also supported his termination if he failed to perform.

He said: “I would hate to think that if I don’t perform...Why would you keep me?  Certainly, there are expectations for me to be out here working and I’m fully prepared for that. “I believe in accountability and if I’m not accountable to the people of Trinidad and Tobago for my work, then why would you want to keep me?" Contacted for comment director of the Public Affairs Unit, Sharon Lee-Assang dismissed the report. Warner: I am prepared  to give him some more time

Contacted on the issue yesterday, acting Prime Minister Jack Warner said Cabinet had not discussed renewing or terminating Gibbs’ contract. “I can say it was never discussed at Cabinet level. “If members are saying his contract would not be renewed they may have their own individual opinion. I attended Cabinet meetings and I am not aware that was discussed. “One could never be satisfied with one’s performance, one aspires for excellence and the jury is still out. “The Commissioner of Police is still being given the benefit of the doubt but the fact is the public is beginning to ask questions and they are free to do so. In fact, it is their duty to do so. “At this time I am prepared to give him some more time,” Warner said.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
Funny how the COP is the one being pressured and not the Minister of National Security or the Prime Minister.Hmmm, funny.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »
Shouldn't directives come from the office of Ministry of Security to the COP with guidelines on how to proceed? Especially having hired a foreign COP?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »
Nizam wants to replace him with someone else

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2011, 06:26:20 AM »
@ Jah Gol and Elan its called scapegoating.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2011, 04:29:28 PM »
@ Jah Gol and Elan its called scapegoating.....

It use 2 b Martin Joseph fault he was d MINISTER EXTRAORDINAIRE. Dis soldier boi is just a Minister so is d COP fault.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2011, 05:03:54 AM »
Gibbs: Bring the evidence
By Clint Chan Tack (Newsday)
Tuesday, April 12 2011

POLICE COMMISSIONER Dwayne Gibbs yesterday said investigations will be launched into allegations that police officers have been taking bribes for the allowance of firearm user licences, once “we have something concrete that we can actually look at, that we know we can investigate.”

Gibbs made the statement to reporters during a reception at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s for former US Secretary of State Colin Powell, and his wife, Alma.

“In terms of investigations we will investigate anything that is of a criminal nature. We definitely have to have something that’s specific to investigate. We won’t investigate if its just a broad brush statement, because those statements come out all the time. We will investigate anything specific that comes forward,” the Commissioner stated.

Explaining it was difficult for the police to investigate anything in the realm of “embellished myth,” Gibbs said until clear evidence of any act of wrong-doing is brought to the attention of the Police Service, “we concentrate on the things that we have to do, rather than concentrate on things that are just innuendos.”

Gibbs explained it was important to “weed out” any corrupt elements in the Police Service because this minority reflect badly upon the majority of officers in the Service who are hardworking, dedicated and trying to do the right thing.

WALKING TALL: Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs (left) and his deputy Jack Ewatski arrive yesterday at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann's
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »
I out in de cold too long oui...isnt that pic across the street from holy name convent

that area is St. Anns??!!?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
Like Gibbs out in de "cold" too long too... whey he find dat double-breasted suit?  ;D

Nevertheless... a definite upgrade from that ridiculous khaki uniform.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:48:48 AM by Bakes »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
In TnT man does wear leather coat in February....to party...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
Like Gibbs out in de "cold" too long too... whey he find dat double-breasted suit?  ;D

Was thinking the same thing.  I think I rock one of those in my form 5 grad lol....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

in troot....de man fit, he must be the same shape he was in 1988
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »
I out in de cold too long oui...isnt that pic across the street from holy name convent

Isn't that statue in the background memorial park to the top of Frederick st?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »

Isn't that statue in the background memorial park to the top of Frederick st?

You are both correct.  Dey was walking een NAPA which is across the street from Memorial Park at the top of Frederick St......when ah tell all yuh de media reporting bad, bad.  I remember ah time they reporting on an accident.  Let's say that the vehicle involved was PCD 1234 which could be clearly seen in a photo accompanying the story.  But inside de story de say de vehicle is PCS 2365.

Steups!!!  Wotlessness!!!....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2011, 11:36:38 AM »

Nevertheless... a definite upgrade from that ridiculous khaki uniform.

He does wear the Khaki uniform too.  I'm actually surprised he wasn't wearing it in this shot....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »
Was thinking the same thing.  I think I rock one of those in my form 5 grad lol....

I have one dat ah buy 20 yrs ago... same night that Desert Storm break out  ;D  I eh wear it in about 10 yrs.

He does wear the Khaki uniform too.  I'm actually surprised he wasn't wearing it in this shot....

Yeah ah know he does wear it... dai'z why ah say de suit is ah upgrade.  Ah find de shirt and tie and ting does look more distinguished and de khaki thing does reek too much ah colonialism (juss look up de origins).  Maybe ah different color uniform with ah shirt and tie might be better.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:38:21 PM by Bakes »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »

Looks like Memorial Park to me. The probably going to NAPA.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »
Dey get ah Extra Duty they goin and provide security 4 d staff who doin all d repairs that was mentioned by Gypsy

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2011, 05:08:41 AM »
Gibbs must go
By NEWSDAY STAFF
Tuesday, April 19 2011

PRESIDENT OF the Police Service Social and Welfare Association Sgt Anand Ramesar yesterday called on Commissioner of Police (CoP) Dr Dwayne Gibbs to “pack up and go.” He also called on newly appointed Police Service Commission (PSC) chairman Professor Ramesh Deosaran to make his assessment of Gibbs’ tenure as CoP available to association membership.

At a media briefing at the association’s office at Besson Street Police Station in Port-of-Spain, Sgt Ramesar claimed there were “numerous” complaints against Gibbs which, “clearly demonstrates there is a loss of confidence in his leadership.”

Ramesar said he has written several letters to CoP Gibbs on the issue of Special Reserve Police (SRP) officers seeking to be absorbed into the service. Ramesar also claimed that over the past nine months, more than 300 vacancies have not been filled.

“There have been no action by Gibbs to promote these officers. Promotions must take effect and if Gibbs is not ready to act it is time that he do what he said he would do if he does not perform and that is to pack up and leave.”

He also questioned the basis in which officers of the First Division are being promoted and claimed that the association has received several complaints from the said officers.

“We see some of them getting low scores, less than 50 and 40, and being promoted and then others getting 64 and not even being promoted. The chairman of the Promotions Advisory Board Stephen Williams is not dealing with the issue and we are very saddened by it. If we are to grade him he will be graded — Grade Zero,” a tough-talking Ramesar said.

Ramesar even slammed Gibbs’ 21st Century Policing Pilot Project which was launched in Western Division about a month ago and claimed there were numerous complaints against this initiative.

“If he (Gibbs) is only interested in dealing with the Western Division and not the entire country then he should be made Snr Supt of that Division and give the Commissioner position to someone else,” Ramesar said.

Ramesar admitted that members of the association’s executive were yet to meet with Deosaran and added that the association is looking forward to that meeting. “We believe that he (Deosaran) would be able to deal with the issues we are being faced with.”

PANMAN GIBBS: Police Commissioner Dwayne Gibbs (right) has fun while playing the tenor pan as his wife Dawn (2nd from left) gets some help on how to play the bass pan, at the opening of the Sangre Grande Police Youth Club on Sunday evening. ...Author: RALPH BANWARIE.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2011, 05:29:24 AM »
Ramesar beginning to annoy mih.....

The 21st Century Policing initiative only started about 2 weeks ago or so.  It was launched in the West as a TEST/MODEL to see if it goh work and if it does it will be rolled out to other areas.

As for the other things, he might know more than me being on de inside but oh geez and ages the man here only 7 months!!  What de arse they want??!!

Oh I know, dey still vex about the closing canteen....steups!!!  Ah feel ah goh back Kamla on a 5% increase for Police.....dey over doing de blasted thing!!!

Oh wait ah forget, he was supposed to be gone in 6 months so ah guess time up for Gibbs....poor fella....enjoy de pan.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2011, 07:10:15 AM »
Ramesar beginning to annoy mih.....

The 21st Century Policing initiative only started about 2 weeks ago or so.  It was launched in the West as a TEST/MODEL to see if it goh work and if it does it will be rolled out to other areas.

As for the other things, he might know more than me being on de inside but oh geez and ages the man here only 7 months!!  What de arse they want??!!

Oh I know, dey still vex about the closing canteen....steups!!!  Ah feel ah goh back Kamla on a 5% increase for Police.....dey over doing de blasted thing!!!

Oh wait ah forget, he was supposed to be gone in 6 months so ah guess time up for Gibbs....poor fella....enjoy de pan.....
I think Ramesar grandcharging on some legitmate issues. Remember he's still reeling from the Nizam debacle. He must be very vocal about issues the officiers raise to regain confidence in his leadership. He is probably also using discontent with Gibbs as leverage.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 05:05:41 AM »
Stephen Williams go make a good COP.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Hats off to you, Gibbs
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »
TOP COP Dwayne Gibbs yesterday received two thumbs up from Attorney General Anand Ramlogan for his role in managing this country's murder toll.

Minister in the Ministry of National Security Subhas Panday yesterday said statistics have shown that there has been a decline in this country's murder toll, as compared to the same period last year.

Panday said 167 murders were recorded up to May 2 last year, and for the comparative period this year there have been 30 fewer homicides.

According to the Express tally, the murder toll is currently 135, as compared to 173 for the same period last year.

"We feel we are on the right track," Panday said, as he addressed the Senate in the Red House, Port of Spain, yesterday.

Panday referred to several initiatives, including the decision to replace police stations in the Western Division with ten patrolling police cars, as reasons for the decrease in crime.

"This government is working on reducing crime with innovative methods," Panday said.

He said the patrolling police cars will be extended to the other eight police divisions.

Panday made the statements as he contributed to the Anti-Gang Bill in the Senate yesterday.

Ramlogan thanked Gibbs and his executive for their role in reducing the murder toll and getting a handle on crime.

"We can't change what we inherited overnight," Ramlogan said.

However, he described the declining comparative murder toll as a "glimmer of hope" and "a moment for quiet optimism".

"We are not saying that you (citizens) are safe. We are not saying that criminal gangs no longer roam the streets and have people in their homes barricaded," Ramlogan said.

"We are a government, through our policies and programmes, we are seeing a light at the end of our tunnel," he said.

"I will like to compliment and congratulate the Commissioner of Police. Hats off to you, Commissioner Gibbs," Ramlogan said.

Ramlogan's positive review of Gibbs's performance so far comes at a time when the recently appointed chairman of the Police Service Commission, Prof Ramesh Deosaran, has signalled his intention to review Gibbs's tenure at the helm of the Police Service.

Canadian Gibbs and his countryman, Deputy Police Commissioner Jack Ewatski, received their letters of appointment from former PSC chairman Nizam Mohammed on September 20 last year.

Ramlogan also congratulated Ewatski, outgoing Deputy Commissioner of Police Raymond Craig, his replacement Mervyn Richardson, and Stephen Williams for their roles in combatting crime.

Ramlogan said the Government has made mistakes, including the appointment of Reshmi Ramnarine as the head of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA), but was not too big to apologise.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Hats_off_to_you__Gibbs-121226829.html

AirMan

Dwayne Gibbs one year evaluation
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »
Its been more than a year since Gibbs became TNT Police Commisioner. How do you evaluate his performance ?  I heard he is nominated for the Humming Bird medal..someone please confirm

truetrini

Re: Dwayne Gibbs one year evaluation
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
EPIC FAIL!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2011, 10:20:20 PM »
Its been more than a year since Gibbs became TNT Police Commisioner. How do you evaluate his performance ?  I heard he is nominated for the Humming Bird medal..someone please confirm

Humming Bird? You mean Dodo award, surely?

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »
definately ah failure judging by a crying wolf govt calling a SOE.....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »
EPIC FAIL!

Depends on whose perspective yuh looking at it from.  Gibbs get paid a quarter million US to come TnT  wear ah throwback khaki uniform, hold de occasional press conference and work on he tan .

Winning!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2011, 07:27:51 AM »

I think he has done a wonderful job regardless of what detractors say.
Murder rate lowest in years, more police ketching drunk drivers, Jack Warner resigning because he fraid him, his uniform real sharp looking not scruffy like some before, his english is impeccable, he has the perfect poker face and hang dog face and he has come from a tough neighbourhood as a youth, all in all for 1 yrs work I give him a thumbs up.

One more thing he doh dance to nobody else tune but his own.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2011, 07:41:07 AM »
Hmm, Fishs, I'm not so sure about this: "One more thing he doh dance to nobody else tune but his own"   

He's a political appointee, and, as such, many of his long term strategies would have to suit PP. And look how he ducked the whole bribery investigation issue. I know Bakes and I disagree on this one, but I felt he showed a distinct lack of backbone and kissed Kamlas ass on that one.

1]; } ?>