April 26, 2024, 04:53:12 AM

Author Topic: Sad to say discontinue the pro league.  (Read 5695 times)

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Sad to say discontinue the pro league.
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »
I am in no way saying that our country should not have a professional league,I am in support of anything that would benefit our country and our players as they continue to play the game that we love.I have coach and played in the league so i know what it brings for all,But i have also seen the damaged that it has cause to football all over our country,the zones are not the same anymore, the following of village support is not like it used to be,players are not pushing them selves as long ago,they are just looking for a pro team to join to get a paycheck,the standard of football in the pro league shows us the national team performance.Our standout players in the world cup were not products of the pro league eg.Dwight,Latapy,Stern,Shaka,Birchall,Avery,Andrews,Dennis.Compared with the players that played in the the pro league Jones, Gray,Spann,Denzil,Glenn,Authis,Trent,Wolf all good supporting players but not leaders,so I say sooner than later start over,cut our losses, do not make the same mistakes.Let us be ready as a nation for professional football,Doc'Khelwlaas,Petrotrin,Tobago United,Starworld Strikers,Futgof,La Brea ,Point Fortin Civic Centre,Arima Fire to name a few  let our coaches be educated about coaching in a professional club,make sure there is good available sponsorship etc. :(   

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Sad to say discontinue the pro league.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »
Doc'Khelwlaas ,  Arima Fire , wow have not heard those names in years
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:38:55 AM »
That sounds like a very credible reason for our football to have deteriorated to such an extent,seems like we produced better ballers with from clubs in the non-professional days.Nowadays we only producing more prima donnas.
Coachman could be right...disband the Pro League and go back to the old days when men had to fight to get selected.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:49:09 AM »
That sounds like a very credible reason for our football to have deteriorated to such an extent,seems like we produced better ballers with from clubs in the non-professional days.Nowadays we only producing more prima donnas.
Coachman could be right...disband the Pro League and go back to the old days when men had to fight to get selected.

Not going to work

It's a very good concept to have the very best players playing together and against each other. That is what every strong league is based on.

The problem we have is that the PFL is really at best Semi-professional and the word professional is used very loosely.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:07:05 AM »

Not going to work

It's a very good concept to have the very best players playing together and against each other. That is what every strong league is based on.The problem we have is that the PFL is really at best Semi-professional and the word professional is used very loosely.

Im not arguing for or against Coach's suggestion, but to touch on the highlighted, this is how it used to be when yuh had teams like DF, Police , Trintoc, Point, Caroni, Mayaro, Barataria BP,  etc etc... yuh still hd the best playing against the best.. DF and Police were outstanding both locally and throughtout the region.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
Doc'Khelwlaas ,  Arima Fire , wow have not heard those names in years
I had a small stint with Doc'Khelwalass before moving to Jabloteh under 20 Collin Samuel was playing for them at the time.

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »
Food for thought,we all played for or witness these teams play,tell me the feeling that you got when the Army playing Trintoc or Arima playing Civic,is that the same as W playing Joe,or the same crowd following,look at the amount of skill from the National league or Semi pro league if we could call it that.Know your history it can determine our future success.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »
Dotish idea...

Why discontinue the league when we could try and improve it.

The league is important, it just need somebody with a good motive and who earger to put 100% behind the league and push/promote it.

I can bet anything if a man like Flex who I know personally was incharge of the league we would see drastic changes for the better.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:26:15 AM »
I used to coach and play there.Doc's

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:53 AM »
the past is the past...this is one time you shouldn't go backward in order to go forward just doesn't make sense. The bigger question is how do you tie the proleague teams to the community and get them,the community, more involved? You cannot expect players to be professionals while playing at an amateur level.

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »
until then fire every coach.SMART IDEA.

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
look at the history, see how many of our u17,u20 players present going to stay and play in the pro league,What i hear? Ma Pau may not continue next year,food for thought.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 11:38:59 AM »
Promotion/Relegation system is a way to improve the overall quality.

Whatever financial obstacles that prevent super league teams from participating at the pro leave level, the league should look at and assist.

The bubble up effect of this system combined with the continuation of Champs League qualification will have long term positive effects of raising the standard of our players.

That being said, it not a short term solution, i'm talking at least 5 years plus before the rewards germinate.

Either you get better or drop out.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
Promotion/Relegation system is a way to improve the overall quality.

Whatever financial obstacles that prevent super league teams from participating at the pro leave level, the league should look at and assist.

The bubble up effect of this system combined with the continuation of Champs League qualification will have long term positive effects of raising the standard of our players.

That being said, it not a short term solution, i'm talking at least 5 years plus before the rewards germinate.

Either you get better or drop out.

i have had many players tell me that there are good players in the super league but never get seen because they are working another job or jobs while playing in the super league

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
professional and semi-pro league the way our guys  play the game  are they playing  the way pro or semi -pro play or are we just using the words to make statements .

I know many of us look at football on the tube and we see the way professionals and semi -pro play and is notting like the soca worries are playing or for that matter the leagues in mentioned
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:09:33 PM by zuluwarrior »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Jamesgk1

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »
The league does not need to be discontinued what needs to happen is it needs to come under the bracket of the TTFF , most European leagues are at least affiliated to the FA.

Second there definitely needs to be a more open format  ie promotion from super league and relegation from pro league and even a league system down to zones... ie TnT premier league, TnT First division,TnT second division ect. ( i mean the more teams in the leagues the better more competitive football , more choice for national coach ect)

Also as i know for new teams to qualify to play in the pro league they have to pay a fee which is quite steep and by time clubs have stumpted this up , they struggle to have any money left for paying players.

Thirdly there has to be a qualification process for the coaches in charge of the club and this must come from the TTFF ie you cant manage a club without the TTFF Head coach certificate and they bring in a fifa instructor 3 times a year for these courses.

lastly the TTFF all the cups and football in Trinidad needs to work together instead of against each other and then mabye we can start putting things right on the field

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »
James, good to see you posting again bro  :beermug:

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 12:48:20 PM »
Lawd we have such a shit coach that no men thinks our players are shit. This was a caribbean tourny lads, not the world cup, you could put an intercol side there an they would make the last four.

Latapy is so bad that men ready to hang up we players yes lol..

You all are very very very very very stupid people jesus. Alyuh deserve to have a coach like that.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »
How about developing the pro league into a real league.  Has enough work been done around analysis of our pro-league to determine if it could ever be viable, or are we just saying to discontinue it because we getting our arse cut lately....

I think we're too short sighted and too quick to just say "get rid of this and that"....

How about putting some serious resources to doing a study or some kind of gap analysis to determine some of the  key areas where our pro-league falls short, and then dedicating the resources to closing the gap between our league and a realistically professional pro league.

We're too short-sighted and lazy...we expect results to fall out of the sky.  Fire Latas and bring in a big coach instead of dedicating the resources to developing Latas with a long term goal in mind....Get rid of the pro league- as if T&T football was ever flourishing...Sure it wasn't as bad as it is now, but let's be real, T&T was no world beater under the system that e're talking about going back to...

We need to be strategic and patient and willing to suffer and work hard for the long term benefit...even if it's generations down the road.  The short term hire and fire, and build and break mentality will get us no where.  100 years from now we'll be saying the same sh*t about discontinuing the pro league.  
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »
OK guys what about disbanding the Pro League for about 3 years and see how it goes.College mentioned that during the non professional days the best players did play against each other so no problem about the best players not meeting each other.We are hardly likely to get to Brazil 2014 so its not a bad time to revert back to the old days.Someone also mentioned that instead of disbanding it,fix it, I cant say how that could be done coz I am not close enough to know all the facts.I feel though that a 2 tier system with a Premier League and a lower league with promotion and relegation would be an idea,that is if you dont disband the Pro League.Players have got to be made to fight for their selection for TT,THEN THEY MAY SHOW MORE FIGHT AND RESILIENCE,SKILLS ALONE CANT DO IT FOR US.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »
I have a questtion is the pro league set up like other leagues around the world where there're home and away games,you know like napoli playing inter in milan and vice versa?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »
I have a questtion is the pro league set up like other leagues around the world where there're home and away games,you know like napoli playing inter in milan and vice versa?

Yuh should first be asking how many teams have ah home field tuh begin with
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »
No. 1 priority is to elect a new Commissioner with the vision and ideas to move the league forward into the 21st century.

No.2 priority is to develop a programme that can compete with the likes of the Mexican, Columbian, US, Costa Rican and those other leagues in South America.

No. 3 priority is to get every coach that is either currently coaching or is thinking about wanting to coach in the league, certified and licensed to coach in the game and be strict about it. Meaning, that you as a coach will not be able to coach or be an assistant coach without that license.

No. 4 priority is to learn from the other world class leagues around the world about how to promote and grow the league into a world class, competitive and attractive league to play in. Learn how to attract the fans to the game, after all, they are the most important factor in the equation.

If we can accomplish those priorities it will be a start in the scheme of things that will make a great competitive national world class team.

Yeah, I know. What about the TTFF?

Well, what about them. Obviously, they don't have a clue.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:14:35 PM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 02:23:11 PM »

That was my next question it should've been my first.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 02:31:17 PM »

It's really only Joe Public (Marvin Lee Stadium), W-Connection (Ato Boldon Stadium), and Tobago United (Dwight Yorke Stadium). But Tobago get kick out, so dey eh relly count right now.

North East Stars trying tuh establish Sangre Grande Recreation Ground as dey home turf, and Jabloteh say dey wanted tuh try ah ting in Santa Cruz.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
I am in no way saying that our country should not have a professional league,I am in support of anything that would benefit our country and our players as they continue to play the game that we love.I have coach and played in the league so i know what it brings for all,But i have also seen the damaged that it has cause to football all over our country,the zones are not the same anymore, the following of village support is not like it used to be,players are not pushing them selves as long ago,they are just looking for a pro team to join to get a paycheck,the standard of football in the pro league shows us the national team performance.Our standout players in the world cup were not products of the pro league eg.Dwight,Latapy,Stern,Shaka,Birchall,Avery,Andrews,Dennis.Compared with the players that played in the the pro league Jones, Gray,Spann,Denzil,Glenn,Authis,Trent,Wolf all good supporting players but not leaders,so I say sooner than later start over,cut our losses, do not make the same mistakes.Let us be ready as a nation for professional football,Doc'Khelwlaas,Petrotrin,Tobago United,Starworld Strikers,Futgof,La Brea ,Point Fortin Civic Centre,Arima Fire to name a few  let our coaches be educated about coaching in a professional club,make sure there is good available sponsorship etc. :(   
ppl bringing back a lot of old topics ( now that we on a low, result wise) seeking answers, but if allyuh had access to some of the old topics, allyuh might feel man was seer men...havent given this idea full thought as yet but I will say this, if the league must be disbanded in the name of development (it is not a step backward, cause yuh done kinda far back as it is), then have some other programs/ideas that will involve the excess players who won't be recieving a small stipend...otherwise they will replace lower league players, and then yuh would have more bandits(idlers) on yuh hands..I said years ago, if yuh want yuh football and everything else to grow/improve, yuh need everybody and all parts of the society to be together, yuh have to get the experienced sportsmen & women and educated to comeback, and have something planned for the less educated to do, help, get involved  ....For now I think a restructure and re-organization is necessary, it should not just be about who win, my Team beat theirs dem is tata, and I'm ah better coach(McCormie/Fenwick), ah take x course and play with Team A so I'm ah better player, coach manager...I have 6 passes, he have none, so I'm brighter...Ppl have to change that we better than you mentality..... but help develop each other...anyway I don't have al the answers, will give the situation Now further thought....Really like what North East have been doing, It is IMHO,the beginning of improvement of football and community...Kudos due to everyone associated with that club   :applause:

add: I have to reread some other discussions from the past ( minus the old board) : ah on Vacation, and doh have ah life  :P  ;D

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=31838.0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:44:53 PM by maxg »

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »

It's really only Joe Public (Marvin Lee Stadium), W-Connection (Ato Boldon Stadium), and Tobago United (Dwight Yorke Stadium). But Tobago get kick out, so dey eh relly count right now.

North East Stars trying tuh establish Sangre Grande Recreation Ground as dey home turf, and Jabloteh say dey wanted tuh try ah ting in Santa Cruz.

So this whole thing in the beginning was planned out badly then,is like putting the cart before the horse,when it should've been building stadiums in every municipality which in turn create jobs,these assholes were so greedy they could'nt see the wisdom in that I mean I could still remember the days when big games would be played in tacarigua eddie hart league or the aranguez league the crowd turnouts were amazing of course it was free,but I think the same could be accomplished if they made the games affordable for the local community and mind you some areas pull two or three teams so the stadiums would be shared.

No f**king rocket science in that...... 

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 03:21:24 PM »

So this whole thing in the beginning was planned out badly then,is like putting the cart before the horse,when it should've been building stadiums in every municipality which in turn create jobs,these assholes were so greedy they could'nt see the wisdom in that I mean I could still remember the days when big games would be played in tacarigua eddie hart league or the aranguez league the crowd turnouts were amazing of course it was free,but I think the same could be accomplished if they made the games affordable for the local community and mind you some areas pull two or three teams so the stadiums would be shared.

No f**king rocket science in that...... 

who building all dem stadiums for the clubs (which are private enterprises)??

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »
Players like crowds to come and look at them,Skinner park,Arima veladrome,PSA, Mahica,Barataria Aranguez,Gilbert park,they used to be filled and very loudly supported,If the crowds cannot come to the players carry the games to the old venues.food for thought.What about merging the super league clubs with the pro clubs and have one league knowing that the pro league teams should win but the mere thought of an upset may be enough for the crowds to come out and support the underdog.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »
Players like crowds to come and look at them,Skinner park,Arima veladrome,PSA, Mahica,Barataria Aranguez,Gilbert park,they used to be filled and very loudly supported,If the crowds cannot come to the players carry the games to the old venues.food for thought.

you are correct. since games move out from the velodrome, crowd attendance has dropped , back in the day before the pro league, it had big crowds. But the velodrome need to be fixed over especially the field. I heard they wanted artificial turf, but i don't know what happening with that.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>