March 28, 2024, 12:44:08 PM

Author Topic: Latapy wants to stay on  (Read 5388 times)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy wants to stay on
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
Russell Latapy wants to stay on.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).

Russell Latapy is not ready to step down as national senior team coach despite the Soca Warriors' early exit from the Digicel Caribbean Cup.

A sober Latapy, on return to Piarco International Airport yesterday from Martinique with the national senior football squad, told the media he has served national football in various capacities over three decades, and would like to continue to do so.

T&T went under 2-0 to a superior Cuba outfit on Friday, before Grenada shocked Trinida and Tobago 1-0 on Sunday. T&T ended their tournament with a 1-0 consolation win over hosts Martinique in their final Group H encounter Monday.

The former Falkirk FC player, though, would not speculate on whether he has a future with the national team.

"I understand (my coaching status) is an obvious question, but it is an obvious question that I cannot answer for obvious reasons. I have to sit down with the (T&T Football) Federation and those responsible, and then I would be in a position to answer that question."

Latapy said the team's poor finishing cost them a place in the semi-finals, and a berth in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

"…We have ourselves to blame always," the former T&T midfielder reflected, "because if we score our chances we will win games and then again we saw (missed chances) against Martinique as well. We wasted a lot of goal-scoring opportunities. I mean I will be worried if we weren't creating the opportunities."

Latapy conceded that Cuba were the better team in their opening encounter, but suggested that despite T&T's poor marksmanship, Grenada were fortunate to grab the winner against his team.

"Again we had the youngest team in the tournament though, so maybe a bit of inexperience showed," he added.

Latapy also appealed to the T&T fans to continue supporting the Soca Warriors in what he described as a learning period.

"We understand (the fans) disappointment, we as players share that disappointment and maybe more so than the fans. But again it's a process of learning and going forward, and I think we're going in the right direction," he reasoned.

In hindsight, Latapy would have liked to have had the entire team together for longer before they travelled to Martinique.

" There was progression during the tournament from the first game to the third game. The team played better with each game… I would (also) have done more work on finishing because I suppose that was our downfall, not taking our chances."

My Reaction: WDMC, HMFN!!  Take JW, LP, OC and go!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:11:09 AM by Flex »
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy wants to stay on
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »
I not hearin anyting about what he goin to do different.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »
They need Percy he get rid of Manning so lets hire him 4 Latas.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:15:56 AM »
do the right thing Latas..............KICK ROCKS :devil:

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »
latas cussin me or wat? stay on? look!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 05:03:13 AM »
out of respect i am not going to say, what i think of him and that statement. I Need to cool myself yes
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 05:05:42 AM »
Latapy wants to stay on

Well look at that, Russell is also a comedian..... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 06:21:33 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SsUCGwbeqw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8SsUCGwbeqw</a>
Youtube Channel

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:26:47 AM »
stay on what? nicotine ?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 06:42:17 AM »
Anil whey yuh!!!!

Latas move from smoking cigarettes to smoking crack awa???

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:53:27 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TYDdhAJGCs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4TYDdhAJGCs</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:42 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TYDdhAJGCs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4TYDdhAJGCs</a>

I'm starting to lose whatever respect I have for this great legend of a footballer,latas here meh out it's yuh boi Tyler please get a season international coach and work under him learn the proper skills of coaching,can't you see the results are an indication of poor strategy poor planning poor player selection poor administrative management.

How long is this going to continue you can't ignore the majority it's a democracy....   

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 07:34:13 AM »
Russell Latapy wants to stay on.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).

In hindsight, Latapy would have liked to have had the entire team together for longer before they travelled to Martinique.

??? ??? them guys playing together since the Guyana friendly
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »
I guess he right, we went from losing 2-0? to losing 1-0 to winning 1-0. However, it seem to escape the coach that this is not a league where you build up. These are tournaments that you need to show up and start winning.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »
A good move would probably be to bring in an experienced manager under the conditions that Latapy gets to work under him as an assistant. 

It might be the best way for him to learn without it coming at the expense of our team. 

I would like nothing better than to see one of our own take our team to the highest level, especially Latapy who has served us well for decades.  Now doesn't seem to be his time though. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 08:29:03 AM »
Latas bawl we headin in the right direction.
This is very discouraging, from what he sayin, he doesn't even see the need to change anything.
He too passive about these results.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 08:42:26 AM »
This is very discouraging, from what he sayin, he doesn't even see the need to change anything.

Hey Peong, is like Latas testing yuh loyalty! It could be time to change yuh profile picture!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »
Latapy need to resign himself.
Allyuh see what happening here, everybody vex with the team and him, but because he is a living legend, it will be very difficult to actually tell him to ride out. He needs to do the honourable thing and step down.
I am very sure Latapy means nothing but the best for T&T, he is much more a fan than any of us here on the forum, but he needs to step down personally and not wait on a decision.
You are judged by your results, not your iconic status.
Ask Diego Marijuana.
I am sure he will be a very good football coach one day, just not yet.
Not everyone is Pep Guardiola.
I admire what you did with exposing all these young players, it is very clear that as a team they are not up to scratch. There may be some very good individuals in that bunch, but they will obviously will have to mix in with our overseas players. We always hear locals complain that they train year round, only to bite bench when foreign based come back for big games. There is a reason why that is so, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that we have a very finite pool of good players. Your best disciplined, technical and intelligent players get the overseas link. You are therefore left with building a car with used and second grade material. You expect a beat up sentra to race against a new BMW?
I admire your patriotism. I remember as a young boy growing up watching T&T play all them friendlies in the 90's and one pro who would always return was Latapy. That says a lot of his committment to T&T. I dont question that at all. I question your technical capabilities as a tacticial, to see the field from the sidelines and make adjustments in the game to suit.
There is no way in hell you could come back after a tournament and say that finishing let us down. We have played 12 games in the last 6 months prior to this competition, albeit against questionable opposition (exception Jamaica and Peru), and you still complain about team chemistry and was not aware that finishing was your achilles heel?
This is not the Hex WCQ stages, this is the Caribbean Cup, where a fully local team should be at least capable of reaching the last 4. I admit, winning will be a stretch, cause Jamaica is always good against us, and Cuba is a pretty decent team on their day.
Results are what matters. If I couldnt perform in school, i woulda flunk out. If I cant do the people wuk in my job, they will replace me. If they really interested in me long term, they will ADJUST MY JOB PROFILE AND GIVE ME THE NECESSARY TRAINING TO HANDLE THE JOB IN THE FUTURE. maybe we could send Latas back Scotland or EPL to understudy some more?? But that will cost $$.

Anil Roberts is right, if we have aspirations as a nation to reach Brazil in 2014, we must peak in 2013. We cannot peak if we cant mke the top 4 in CFU and we don't have a tournament in sight till WCQ start in mid 2012. So how will we know our achilles heel for that when it comes around?
Part of being a successful coach is that you have the respect of your federation. They organise friendlies every single fifa date, 4 team tourneys in the offseason, etc etc. Outside of Caribbean pick up teams, don't have that respect. Call it TTFF broke, I call it excuses. We won't even go into the TTFF competency here.
To the TTFF and Anil Roberts, please lets get serious.
One man is not bigger than our national programme and pride. Do not leave him in for what he represents as a national symbol.
Maradonna was the greatest ever, but as a coach, Germany made him look mediocre.
They have moved on.

We need not look too far to get good coaches.
Latapy total compensation (whether he getting paid late or not) is $350,000TT or $55,000 US a month, al, perks included.
For about that same money, maybe a little more, you can start talking to people like Bruce Arena, Steve Sampson....You know you getting experienced coaches who have taken teams to the WC, the caucasian figurehead who will obviously get more respect from the players and federation (sad to say but is true) and also a tactitioner who knows all the teams in CONCACAF inside out. But then again a coach like this might actually demand to be paid on time every month.
Heck, if allyuh cant manage that, bring back BSC, or even Anton Corneal (lord I reach to this stage) or his father, or even Gally and let him drop the suit against you....Something.
We know clubs use change in coach a a tool to re-energise teams. Thats independent of the coach's ability, its just the change that works wonders. We need that. We need something. but then again, we dont even have anything to look forward to for the senior team for maybe the next 18 months....

Latapy and TTFF - do the thing thats best for the nation.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 08:52:08 AM »

Hey Peong, is like Latas testing yuh loyalty! It could be time to change yuh profile picture!  8)

Now is not the time for knee-jerk reactions.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 09:15:30 AM »

Now is not the time for knee-jerk reactions.

:D Ahrwite pardner!!
Btw are you related to LP by any chance?!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline mouie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »
LATAS MUST GO!!!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 12:19:41 PM »
stay on so the nation could pay for him to pimp ah setta women and lose one setta games

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SsUCGwbeqw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8SsUCGwbeqw</a>

Yes Latas we will continue to support the young players once they give their best in the national colours despite many of them not being paid by the TTFF for their services but we can no longer support your position as head coach!

The most we can support you Latapy as is assitant coach to a more qualified and experienced head coach but we are worried about the underminding rumours we heard while Maturana was in charge and you were meant to be his assistant!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
D.H.W., whaiz dah one hoss???

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
D.H.W., whaiz dah one hoss???

:rotfl:
Well spotted!!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
Latapy has to go ! ..no assistant wuk either ...Latapy around good coaches long time now ...it eh sinking een folks ...nothing sinking een ...
Look he lost a tournament badly ...eh even make de second round ....we are not now considered in de top 4 in de caribbean !!! yet de man talking like is business as usual ...if Jack paying him is ok ...jack could do what he want wid he football group ( administration is not the word here ) ..but if one cent of taxpayers money going into that I go join Duke and dem round the Pm office too !

Offline Yogi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »
What really wrong with these people that say he should be an assistant to the next coach. The man undermine Maturana yuh think he eh go undermine the next one too, steups. He need to take a step away and do like all the other coaches and get properly certified and then start getting experience with some minor side and work his way up.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »
What really wrong with these people that say he should be an assistant to the next coach. The man undermine Maturana yuh think he eh go undermine the next one too, steups. He need to take a step away and do like all the other coaches and get properly certified and then start getting experience with some minor side and work his way up.

:thumbsup:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »
Latapy has to go ! ..no assistant wuk either ...Latapy around good coaches long time now ...it eh sinking een folks ...nothing sinking een ...
Look he lost a tournament badly ...eh even make de second round ....we are not now considered in de top 4 in de caribbean !!! yet de man talking like is business as usual ...if Jack paying him is ok ...jack could do what he want wid he football group ( administration is not the word here ) ..but if one cent of taxpayers money going into that I go join Duke and dem round the Pm office too !

Jai,
            Plz listen to yourself nah. After PP was voted in. jack money and taxpayers money is one and the same. You ent figure that out yet?  You on this forum long enough to know this.

1]; } ?>