March 28, 2024, 05:50:24 PM

Author Topic: Warner gives Cameron a lesson in the brutal realities of FIFA politics  (Read 19397 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner gives Cameron a lesson in the brutal realities of FIFA politics
By Sam Wallace (The Independent)

For the last five days in Zurich, Jack Warner's chauffeur-driven Fifa limousine has nosed its way through the city's traffic to take the 67-year-old former school teacher to meetings with Prince William, David Cameron and David Beckham, who have treated Warner like a friend and ally.

Yesterday, Warner delivered a lesson to Britain's young Prime Minister and its even fresher-faced heir to the throne that there are no politics in international sport more brutal than those of Fifa – where men will say one thing to your face and do quite another when they approach the ballot box in the boardroom at Fifa House.

Cameron was fortunate that he was out of Zurich and away from the television cameras when Warner delivered his stitch-up of the English bid in which neither he nor his Concacaf colleagues, representing North and Central America and the Caribbean, voted for England. In Cameron's gilded political career it would be difficult to remember a more blatant humiliation than the one dealt him by Warner.

Make no mistake, English football was well and truly shafted yesterday by an organisation that has no interest in being scrutinised by the British media. The 22 men of the Fifa executive committee (ExCo) do not care whether it is politicians, princes or Goldenballs himself from whom they take the hospitality and the plaudits and then screw in return. True, Warner never publically said he would vote for England but he enjoyed their generosity and they never seemed to have been given the impression they were wasting their money.

It was claimed last night that at one point this week Warner put his arm round Prince William and promised him all three Concacaf votes.

As the ExCo members took their seats in matching blue suits in the auditorium at the Zurich Messehalle yesterday, it was hard to imagine a collection of more pompous, self-important little dictators – all of whom have struggled to the top of their local federations to occupy a seat of power at Fifa.

They come from all over the world – Cameroon, Guatemala, Egypt and Trinidad among them – but they share one thing in common. They understand the power of Fifa and its independence from the regulation of sovereign governments that the popularity of football has given it. And they are not afraid to punish anyone.

Getting into bed with Warner was always a dangerous business, given his implication in a 2006 World Cup ticket scandal over which even Fifa was moved to sanction him. But the English bid team thought that they could tame Warner and persuade him to deliver the three Concacaf votes. By last night they were coming to terms with the scope of their political miscalculation.

England chased Warner all over the world, sending Fabio Capello's England team to play Trinidad & Tobago in June 2008 in what turned into a rally for Warner the politician.

They dispatched Beckham to hold a training camp there and the FA's top brass consented to lectured and harangued by Warner, a man from an island with virtually no football history, in return for him coming through for them at Fifa House yesterday.

It will long be regarded as a source of great embarrassment that English football ever took this despicable little man seriously but the humiliation he visited on them will never be forgotten.

There is a general consensus that the English do not understand Fifa politics. That they fail to see that this is, by necessity, a global entity in which compromises and deals must be struck between the men who, for better or worse, have come to run football in their regions of the world. But after yesterday, the question must be asked again: if indulging men like Warner is the price of a World Cup, can English football bear the cost?

In the aftermath of defeat yesterday, Andy Anson, the 2018 chief executive, bit his lip and tried to make sense of the wreckage of England's campaign. It should be pointed out that he spoke to the English media before he learnt that his bid had earned just two votes and today he may not feel quite so charitable.

"We don't have a [Michel] Platini [Uefa president and an ExCo member] and we don't have a [Franz] Beckenbauer [ExCo member], but we don't integrate ourselves into the international community well," Anson said. "I think that has been a problem all along. Geoff Thompson [England's ExCo member] has done a good job and he is a solid guy, but he is stuck out there in Fifa and Uefa on his own, he's not really integrated into the FA and the Premier League." But who would wish to be integrated into this group of men? The next World Cup finals England can bid for will be the 2030 tournament but for those who remembered the crushing disappointment of this week, putting their faith in that campaign will be a very hard leap of faith.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League chief executive, summed up the sense of doom whenever England attempts to ingratiate itself with Fifa. "What's gone against us is not having to build 20 new stadia," Scudamore said. "It almost feels as if we are on standby for when somebody can't host it. That's all very well but on that basis we will never get it."

In Russia and Qatar, however, Fifa has selected two nations for whom failure is simply not an option. Watching Roman Abramovich on stage last night celebrating with his fellow Russian delegates, it was hard to decide whether he was genuinely happy or just relieved. They all knew that somewhere Putin was watching. Last night the Russian Prime Minister flew into Zurich to hold an impromptu press conference.

There has been some serious bowing and scraping to Fifa over the past two years. English football has divested itself of the "football's coming home" sense of entitlement, it has set up legacy programmes and international development. Beckham has flown all over the world. Friendlies have been promised. The world, as the English 2018 bid slogan goes, has been invited. And the world has turned round and said, "No, thanks".

No doubt over the next few days there will be plenty of Fifa men lining up to tell England where they have gone wrong and you can bet that Warner will be among them, wagging his finger. We can choose to listen in the hope that one day they throw us a scrap or make a promise that they might just keep. Or we could just do the simple thing and ignore them.

A history lesson

As if English football didn't suffer enough yesterday, Sepp Blatter once again claimed that football was invented in China. In one moment he was labelling England the "motherland", in the next he was continuing Fifa's bizarre campaign to rewrite history and place the birth of the game in the sport's greatest untapped market (can you spot a possible connection? China are interested in hosting in 2026).

According to football historians outside FIfa House, the game starts with Ebenezer Cobb Morley writing the rules of Association Football in 1863, whatever Blatter may try to claim.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Warner gives Cameron a lesson in the brutal realities of FIFA politics
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:01 PM »
England real playin spoil chile ting sah

Sir Dave Richards, one of the most influential men in English football, reacted with "sadness" at discovering "the greatest nation in world football cannot host the World Cup".

Premier League chairman Sir David Richards is a well respected figure in English football

Sir Dave, an FA Executive Committee member and chairman of both Team England and the Premier League, told ESPNsoccernet soon after he heard the news from Zurich: "It is a real shame that the greatest nation in world football cannot host the World Cup. Why? I don't really know.
"[There are] Lots of reasons, you can say the media, but there is always someone else, others to blame.

"But perhaps it's time for change, the way FIFA decide such important issues like this, the most important of them all. If anything good comes from it, it will be the call for change."

Sir Dave knows that many of the English game's figureheads and legends will not be alive by the time England get the chance to host a World Cup again.

"The earliest will be 2030 and none of us will be around," he said. "None of the boys of '66, and who knows what FIFA will be like then, what the FA will be like or whether the FA would want to bid again for the World Cup. So who knows when we will ever get the World Cup back here, if at all."

To add insult to injury, FIFA have offically revealed that England were eliminated in the first round of voting, with just two votes in their favour, one of which was from English board member Geoff Thompson.

"[It is] Terrible," Sir Dave added. "How big a blow is this for football in our country? I will have to think long and hard about that question."

Ken Bates, an old adversary of Sepp Blatter and FIFA, advocates a European breakaway from world football's governing body - even if means dismantling the World Cup. The Leeds United chairman is not afraid to voice his feelings currently whispered only in private by many Premier League chairmen.

The all-powerful clubs and the Premier League are fed up of handing over their priceless playing assets for England duty, and having their multi-million pound players returned damaged and injured. The clubs are privately fuming at FIFA 'borrowing' their players for no fee for World Cups.

Bates told ESPNsoccernet: "In my opinion the awarding of the World Cup to Russia instead of England is a disgrace, and it leaves me wondering whether it's even worth the effort taking part in FIFA's two bob World Cup competition.

"FIFA is a case of the tail wagging the dog, of authority without responsibility."

Bates is also no friend of Roman Abramovich to whom he sold Chelsea, and with whom he fell out.

"If the experience of Chelsea fans who went to Moscow for the Champions League final is anything to go by, then it is clear supporters heading to Russia for the World Cup will find the same sort of fleecing of the ordinary fans who had to fork out an absolute fortune for tickets.

"At least, I was glad to see Mr Abramovich in Zurich wearing a tie - perhaps he knew something. It's bad enough awarding the World Cup to such a marginal country as Russia then God only knows whey they have gone for Qatar."

Bates sounded the battle cry against FIFA and the way it dominates world football, despite allegations of corruption and an unfair and distorted system of deliberating on World Cup bids.

He said: "I can only repeat what I said 10 years ago ... the European countries should resign form FIFA and tell them what they can do with the 2018 World Cup.

"I would suggest that all the broadcasters bid low, or don't bid at all for the TV rights for 2018, and if they put in a very, very low figure, that will let FIFA know what we think about it, because all FIFA is interested in is the money generated by the World Cup.

"Finally, I believe that England should disregard FIFA, the World Cup and concentrate on promoting English football, and let FIFA, Russia, and Qatar get on with it."

Meanwhile, Graham Taylor believes a perception of England as "arrogant'' and "know-alls'' ended their hopes of winning the 2018 World Cup but thinks their dismal showing in the voting could prompt investigations into the running of FIFA.

Taylor, speaking to Radio Five Live, said: "I ask the question 'what were we expecting?'. FIFA, for me, is full of people who say 'yes' to your face and 'no' behind your back. Their reputation has not changed for many years.

"We (England) have little or no influence; we are considered to be arrogant and know-alls and FIFA don't have to answer to anyone. I'm surprised that we're surprised. This has been going on for years and we've been aware of a lot of things going on around the back.''

British media investigations into FIFA practices and the conduct of influential members have been cited as one of the reasons England fared so badly in the voting, but Taylor believes they could yet come into their own.

"I have a feeling, perhaps, that it might be time...that they really need looking into and investigating and our journalists are very good at that. How long has this been going on? How long have been questions been asked of FIFA and when have they answered them?

"You don't want take away from Russia or Qatar but it may be that this is the trigger for it to get looked into.''

SOURCE: SOCCERNET.COM
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
For the last five days in Zurich, Jack Warner's chauffeur-driven Fifa limousine has nosed its way through the city's traffic to take the 67-year-old former school teacher to meetings with Prince William, David Cameron and David Beckham, who have treated Warner like a friend and ally.
I didn't know he was a school teacher...did anyone here ever have him for class?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:15:26 PM by Tallman »

giggsy11

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »

I didn't know he was a school teacher...did anyone here ever have him for class?

Apparently he is still a school teacher; cause England got schooled!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »

Yeh, I think weary said she had him for History.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 08:18:52 PM »

Yeh, I think weary said she had him for History.

haha  :rotfl: i feel sorry for her
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

giggsy11

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »
I wonder what hurtin dem more that he from a country with " no football history" or he is a ex school teacher who played dem? The English seem a little bitter and somewhat naive!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:21:35 PM by giggsy11 »

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »
LOL...... :D....Jack foolup de people an dem and den he eh gi dem no vote. Now dey vex dey geh bobolize. :D Jack is kicks oui. Ruthless is the only adjective that comes to mind. Now dey wan to talk all kinda arrogant, ignorant, tootoo 'bout other people Country.

Take dat an cool it English people.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »

GUILTY AS CHARGE. A LEVEL HISTORY 86-88 Six Form Govt School aka Poly. HE WAS A CAPITAL K CROSS SINCE THEN. He put in a guy's exam paper once u must have been in Guyana when I taught this.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:38:55 PM »

Apparently he is still a school teacher; cause England got schooled!

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »
Well there goes any chance of a local footballer going before any FA panel to get a work permit
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 08:58:39 PM »
Well there goes any chance of a local footballer going before any FA panel to get a work permit

D FIFA ranking would insure dat dey eh even gettin 2 d panel.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »
Ah go play Small Mag tonight.

F@#K Off England. Alyuh is ah bunch ah no balls two faced punks. Where was all these "writers" bringing out all these "facts" prior to today? Hiding from the spotlight, now all of a sudden alyuh know Warner is a scamp. That's why I will give Jennings he props. He firing at Warner anytime. It easy now to come out and criticize because it have nothing to lose. So again F@#k Off.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 09:58:24 PM »
De man say we ent have no football history oui. HHMC!!! No World Cup for Englan ass!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »

GUILTY AS CHARGE. A LEVEL HISTORY 86-88 Six Form Govt School aka Poly. HE WAS A CAPITAL K CROSS SINCE THEN. He put in a guy's exam paper once u must have been in Guyana when I taught this.

Weary did he have those early morning classes 7:00am so he could leave and do football work? Did he teach the equivalent of 6 months History in de 2 years because he was always of somewhere?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »
De man say we ent have no football history oui. HHMC!!! No World Cup for Englan ass!!

People's emotions getting the better of them... he said Trinidad is a country with virtually no football history.  Our 102 years of football matters only to us... the only other times we've made any kind of international noise was in 1973 and 2006, can't even count 1990.  We already prove over and over that we are not a footballing nation... but nothing offends like the truth.

Surprisingly... Bates echoes my thoughts.  Just earlier this evening I saying England should just decide to give the World Cup a rest.  Let FIFA have they toy.  It would never happen of course, but at least on principle.  What going on with the TTFF in Trinidad is a microcosm of FIFA on the whole... dictatorial exercise of power without even the slightest pretense of objectivity.  Forget about the deceit pulled on England by Warner, is anyone seriously willing to argue that England's bid was so bad that all they could muster was two first-round votes?

I understand people hate England and the US but put yuhself in their situation and the anger and sense of betrayal are understandable.  Jack Warner will mess with the wrong person one of these days... and there might eventually be some accounting to be made by the other 23 ExCo members as well.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 10:52:21 PM »
Warner has forked Trinidad and Tobago football for years to come. The English are not going to forget this and Warner isn't going to be there forever so who stands to lose more? We football!!!

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 11:03:59 PM »
As much as i hate warner, the english media should STFU! bobby mcmahon on fox soccer report put it well 2nite. the other bidders are moving on while england r throwing tantrums and blaming fifa (possibly rightly so) for everything and calling for reform. if england's bid won they wouldnt have said sh*t and would have tried to put the ill-timing of their media as far behind them as possible. also this stupidness abt "our presentation was the best" is so subjective and means nothing. even if fifa was a clean organisation ur dealing w/ individuals who have their own unique ways of weighting the options. personally im cool w/ the WC being somewhere new and interesting and in places that actually need it rather than a country that just wants it.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »

Weary did he have those early morning classes 7:00am so he could leave and do football work? Did he teach the equivalent of 6 months History in de 2 years because he was always of somewhere?

Like u went Poly Lower 6 u had dem 9-10:30 upper six 730-900 and a Fri class he neva was at. It gets betta we use 2 have exam 6-9. Is a good ting in dem days d crime rate was not as bad now. Imagine leavin Petit Bourg and waitin 4 bus on d Bus Route by d Aranjuez Savannah at dem UNGODLY HOURS.

As 4 being absent d morning of d english history paper he called from JA 2 wish us luck. I PROBABLY DEBUT MY 1ST LOUDDDDDDDD STEUPSSSSSSSS dat day. I passed history only because I asked him to read essays while he travelled and he agreed so I got a sense of what was required.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 03:31:39 AM »
Ah go play Small Mag tonight.

F@#K Off England. Alyuh is ah bunch ah no balls two faced punks. Where was all these "writers" bringing out all these "facts" prior to today? Hiding from the spotlight, now all of a sudden alyuh know Warner is a scamp. That's why I will give Jennings he props. He firing at Warner anytime. It easy now to come out and criticize because it have nothing to lose. So again F@#k Off.

:applause: :cheers:
Let dem go and cry in their beer.  Is ah good thing ah did read Jennings book, cuz nutten that happened with that whole selection of Russia and Qatar surprising.  Ah could imagine Jennings preparing he sequel to "Foul" right now.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 05:05:16 AM »
As much as i hate warner, the english media should STFU! bobby mcmahon on fox soccer report put it well 2nite. the other bidders are moving on while england r throwing tantrums and blaming fifa (possibly rightly so) for everything and calling for reform. if england's bid won they wouldnt have said sh*t and would have tried to put the ill-timing of their media as far behind them as possible. also this stupidness abt "our presentation was the best" is so subjective and means nothing. even if fifa was a clean organisation ur dealing w/ individuals who have their own unique ways of weighting the options. personally im cool w/ the WC being somewhere new and interesting and in places that actually need it rather than a country that just wants it.

Now that make sense; kudos my brother the best post so far,forget all the rhetoric we know who fifa is and what they stand for. It's not a secret that they're corrupt but they made a decision and we have to live with it unpopular as it may be to some,why not Russia why not Qatar.     
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:09:25 AM by saga pinto »

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 05:29:09 AM »
FT Score
Warner 3 - England 0
 :devil:

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 05:56:49 AM »
Jack Warner Extracts His Revenge as England 2018 Hung Out to Dry

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33977

(WFI) England’s failed World Cup bid was doomed by a devastating coup organized by CONCACAF’s bloc of three voters.

England 2018’s bid strategy had been reliant on their support to get past the first round of the vote yesterday. But England fell at the first hurdle after receiving just two votes, one coming from Geoff Thompson, the other believed to come from Japan’s Junji Ogura.

Other reports have linked CAF president Issa Hayatou to support of England’s bid.

It is believed that at least two CONCACAF voters went with Russia in the first round, when England thought that they could rely upon them.

Bid sources had been confident of getting the alliance, after CONCACAF president Jack Warner was dined by Prime Minister David Cameron and assiduously courted by David Beckham. Prince William also held talks with Warner.

But not one of CONCACAF’s three voters went with England, and it seems that a terrible revenge has been reaped upon the country after a series of damaging allegations about the confederation's president Jack Warner were attributed to the British media.

On Monday, BBC Panorama investigated allegations made in the Norwegian press that Warner had tried to sell $84,000 worth

of tickets to this summer’s World Cup, although the deal previously fell through.

England’s bid had tried to distance itself from the broadcast, and thought that this strategy had paid off.

In the wake of Russia winning the right to host the 2018 tournament, a senior England bid source suggested in the strongest possible terms that Warner reneged on a promise to support England and “had done nothing for our country".

England bid CEO Andy Anson confirmed that England had been betrayed, although he stopped short of naming Warner.

"There were other votes we thought we were going to get that would have taken us way into the second round and beyond," he said.

"Some of those didn't materialise, I don't know which ones. When people look you in the eye and promise you something, you hope they live up to their word, but clearly that hasn't happened."

Anson added that it was “mind-boggling” that bids were told by journalists whether they had won or lost.

Arab TV station Al Jazeera reported Qatar’s victory 20 minutes before FIFA president Sepp Blatter revealed the winner and Russian media were also claiming success before the announcement.

According to FIFA protocol, the outcome of the vote between two final round voters would only be known by a Swiss notary and KPMG auditor overseeing the vote. Nobody was supposed to know until Blatter unveiled the winner from his envelope – a pledge that was ultimately betrayed.

By INSIDER's James Corbett
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 06:01:49 AM »
Now Trinis go have to get Visa to visit the UK  :beermug:

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 06:08:08 AM »

I actually embrace that idea,it should be like that all over the world,we need ah visa to go england they need ah visa to come trini. Simple no problem!!!   

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 06:12:52 AM »

Now that make sense; kudos my brother the best post so far,forget all the rhetoric we know who fifa is and what they stand for. It's not a secret that they're corrupt but they made a decision and we have to live with it unpopular as it may be to some,why not Russia why not Qatar.     

here are my predictions for 2018 and 2022 respectively

in 2018 most on here are going to be lambasting FIFA for awarding the competition to one of, if not the most, racist country that competes in top level football. Every time a black player touches the ball we are going to hear booing and monkey chants from the Russian crowd. To give you an example of how bad it is over there, one of the Russian clubs (I think it's Zenit St Petersburg) were forbidden by their fans to sign black players

in 2022 most on here are going to be lambasting FIFA for awarding the competition to Qatar because of the lack of atmosphere due to half-empty grounds. There are also going to be many cultural issues. For example the authorities are not going to take too kindly to scores of scantily-clad Brazilian female fans (as well as Trinis assuming we make it) parading themselves in public. The same goes for drinking rum and the like. Alcohol consumption is allowed in Qatar but you have to consume it discreetly (indoors). I don't think many fans are going to adhere to those customs (especially the European hooligan element) and we may witness some ugly street battles between fans and riot police (although that will probably happen with the English fans regardless of any alcohol restriction) The other issue with Qatar is going to be the temperature. They claim they can develop these stadia that will have an air conditioned 'bubble' that will protect the players from the soaring heat. In spite of that, it still wouldn't surprise me if we see players dropping like flies and consequently the standard of football is the worst ever in the history of the competition.
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »

I actually embrace that idea,it should be like that all over the world,we need ah visa to go england they need ah visa to come trini. Simple no problem!!!   

uhh... i thought we needed visas to go to the UK :-\  didnt they make it a requirement a few yrs ago or im confusing them w/ another country?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 06:20:06 AM »

here are my predictions for 2018 and 2022 respectively

in 2018 most on here are going to be lambasting FIFA for awarding the competition to one of, if not the most, racist country that competes in top level football. Every time a black player touches the ball we are going to hear booing and monkey chants from the Russian crowd. To give you an example of how bad it is over there, one of the Russian clubs (I think it's Zenit St Petersburg) were forbidden by their fans to sign black players

in 2022 most on here are going to be lambasting FIFA for awarding the competition to Qatar because of the lack of atmosphere due to half-empty grounds. There are also going to be many cultural issues. For example the authorities are not going to take too kindly to scores of scantily-clad Brazilian female fans (as well as Trinis assuming we make it) parading themselves in public. The same goes for drinking rum and the like. Alcohol consumption is allowed in Qatar but you have to consume it discreetly (indoors). I don't think many fans are going to adhere to those customs (especially the European hooligan element) and we may witness some ugly street battles between fans and riot police (although that will probably happen with the English fans regardless of any alcohol restriction) The other issue with Qatar is going to be the temperature. They claim they can develop these stadia that will have an air conditioned 'bubble' that will protect the players from the soaring heat. In spite of that, it still wouldn't surprise me if we see players dropping like flies and consequently the standard of football is the worst ever in the history of the competition.
I really don't know how Qatar is going to deal with that aspect of hosting the tournament. If they don't relax their laws it will be a real shitty World Cup for the fans there. Qatar over the USA is another mystery, well not really. Qatar was ready to play ball I guess.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 06:30:32 AM »
Qatar over the USA, didnt jack assure Obama thta USA would get it in 2022  ???

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »

They dispatched Beckham to hold a training camp there and the FA's top brass consented to lectured and harangued by Warner, a man from an island with virtually no football history, in return for him coming through for them at Fifa House yesterday.

I take offense to statement highlighted even though Jack & the TTFF have done a good job at regressing the development of T&T football over decades!

At least we've been to a World Cup and England had to cheat us in order to defeat us!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:10:12 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>