April 25, 2024, 02:27:58 AM

Author Topic: Warner gives Cameron a lesson in the brutal realities of FIFA politics  (Read 19534 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Warner gives Cameron a lesson in the brutal realities of FIFA politics
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 06:44:05 AM »
Qatar over the USA, didnt jack assure Obama thta USA would get it in 2022  ???

Can you prove that Warner promised USA his vote?
Also can you prove that Warner did not vote for the USA?
At the end of the day, money talks & Obama walks!
England learnt the same lesson yesterday!

The only thing that has been proven (in a court of law) is that Warner promised our 2006 World Cup players 50% of the World Cup profits and as we all know they still waiting for that promise to be honoured.

Now both England & the USA know exactly how our 2006 World Cup players feel!
Let down is not the word!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 06:48:47 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:32 AM »

Now that make sense; kudos my brother the best post so far,forget all the rhetoric we know who fifa is and what they stand for. It's not a secret that they're corrupt but they made a decision and we have to live with it unpopular as it may be to some,why not Russia why not Qatar.     

here are my predictions for 2018 and 2022 respectively

in 2018 most on here are going to be lambasting FIFA for awarding the competition to one of, if not the most, racist country that competes in top level football. Every time a black player touches the ball we are going to hear booing and monkey chants from the Russian crowd. To give you an example of how bad it is over there, one of the Russian clubs (I think it's Zenit St Petersburg) were forbidden by their fans to sign black players

in 2022 most on here are going to be lambasting FIFA for awarding the competition to Qatar because of the lack of atmosphere due to half-empty grounds. There are also going to be many cultural issues. For example the authorities are not going to take too kindly to scores of scantily-clad Brazilian female fans (as well as Trinis assuming we make it) parading themselves in public. The same goes for drinking rum and the like. Alcohol consumption is allowed in Qatar but you have to consume it discreetly (indoors). I don't think many fans are going to adhere to those customs (especially the European hooligan element) and we may witness some ugly street battles between fans and riot police (although that will probably happen with the English fans regardless of any alcohol restriction) The other issue with Qatar is going to be the temperature. They claim they can develop these stadia that will have an air conditioned 'bubble' that will protect the players from the soaring heat. In spite of that, it still wouldn't surprise me if we see players dropping like flies and consequently the standard of football is the worst ever in the history of the competition.
I think it unfair and premature to cast a blanket of racism on all of Russia but I guess we'll see when the time comes.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 06:57:12 AM »
Qatar over the USA, didnt jack assure Obama thta USA would get it in 2022  ???

Can you prove that Warner promised USA his vote?
Also can you prove that Warner did not vote for the USA?
At the end of the day, money talks & Obama walks!
England learnt the same lesson yesterday!

The only thing that has been proven (in a court of law) is that Warner promised our 2006 World Cup players 50% of the World Cup profits and as we all know they still waiting for that promise to be honoured.

Now both England & the USA know exactly how our 2006 World Cup players feel!
Let down is not the word!!

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Warner_stands_behind_USA_bid-111164019.html

Warner stands behind USA bid

Story Created: Dec 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM ECT

Story Updated: Dec 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM ECT

With less than one day to go before the crucial vote by the FIFA Executive Committee to determine the host nations of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup, the bid teams are all focusing their attention  on the decisive CONCACAF vote.

Yesterday CONCACAF President Jack Warner met with former US President and head of the US Bid delegation Bill Clinton, as well as president of the English team, Prince William

England are lobbying for the 2018 World Cup and the US are seeking to host the premier football event in 2022.

At yesterday's meeting with the former US president, Warner once again reiterated his commitment to America's bid .

"President you have nothing to fear. My CONCACAF colleagues and I are fully behind the US bid. As I told your current president yesterday, the US is part of the CONCACAF family and we will not abandon our family."

"I am fully behind the US bid."

Clinton thanked Warner for his continued support saying, "it is not possible without your support Jack and I'm happy you are fully on board."

Warner, who is the longest serving vice-president of FIFA , also met with Prince William and Bid Ambassador David Beckham yesterday at the Bur au Lac hotel in Zurich.

Warner took time to congratulate the Prince on his engagement, jokingly telling him that a good marriage is like good football game: "to win it, you must be determined and willing to work hard, and your tactics may have to change from time to time."

Today Bid teams vying for the rights to host the 2022 World Cup: Australia, Qatar, USA and Japan all made presentations before the FIFA Executive Committee.

Today, the countries hoping to win the rights to host the 2018 World Cup will make their final presentations
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 06:58:33 AM »
Now Trinis go have to get Visa to visit the UK  :beermug:

I actually embrace that idea,it should be like that all over the world,we need ah visa to go england they need ah visa to come trini. Simple no problem!!!   

uhh... i thought we needed visas to go to the UK :-\  didnt they make it a requirement a few yrs ago or im confusing them w/ another country?

Me eh no I was only responding to the post and quite frankly I don't care.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:05:19 AM by saga pinto »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »

I actually embrace that idea,it should be like that all over the world,we need ah visa to go england they need ah visa to come trini. Simple no problem!!!   

uhh... i thought we needed visas to go to the UK :-\  didnt they make it a requirement a few yrs ago or im confusing them w/ another country?

no visa required for visits... I now come back from dey

visas required for work and other business of course
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 07:39:12 AM »

So much time had been invested in courting Warner. A friendly international in his native Trinidad and Tobago in June 2008. A subsequent visit from David Beckham, who ended up, with his son Brooklyn, staying in Warner's home. 'I have a great relationship with Jack,' said Beckham on the eve of yesterday's vote. At least he thought he did.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335208/2018-World-Cup-bid-England-ticked-boxes-Warner-broke-word-dark-politics-took-over.html#ixzz173Vyz9AJ

:o
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 07:44:20 AM »
Just want to add a couple thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was listening ot 5Live from Wednesday night and it was sad. they were mentioning the news that Putin was not going to travel and they started out saying that put soem doubt over the Russian bid. That was fine it was common paper talk but by th ened of teh program they were describing the Russian bid as being "in retreat" and saying that it was between  Spain and England. Evrybody on the programme describe the Dutch/DBelgian bid as being absolute no-hopers (they get more votes than the English). In one hour they went from beinghopefullyoptimistic to over confident.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The England bid was in disarry. For 2006 they and SA lose out to Germany. While England have Bobby Charlton and Lineker pressing flesh and sharing food and drinks, beckenbauer was in the backrooms getting actual votes. Now beckenbauer might be one of the brightest men to ever play football. England just does not have a character with that kind of football resume, politcal skill, business savy and intelligence. You need to have people who could get the ear od these FIFA execs and make real deals not just give them photo-ops with future kings and oin-up stars. More importantly Beckenbauer has close realtions with the DFB and the Bundesliga whereas Geoff Thompson has no pull in the FA and the Premier League.

England had a former FIFA communications director on the bid at the start, Andreas Herren plus another FIFA insider. They drafted the bid plan but more importantly know what goes on in the negotiations and have the ear of Blatter. The bid committe had infighting they bring in Triesman to lead it and he ask everybody to reapply. Guess what? Herren went to the Russians to lead up their communications the next one went to Australia.

FIFA must know that the fan experience in Russia and Qatar will not rival England and the US. There will be fewer fans and less money for the host nation and by extension FIFA from gates. But I was reading Grant Wahl and Marcotti yesterday and one of them made a good point. By the time 2018 and 2022 come around it will be all about TV/internet/apps. Despite the less than stellar attendances and annoying in stadium atmosphere of 2010 they still make a killing on TV so they banking on more of the same. This WC they had apps to stream live audio coverage to your phone and highlights during the game. That was unimaginable in 2002. In 2018 I fully expect live games to be streamed everywhere including phones on a PPV basis. That is the kinda money that dwarfs any cut of the gate receipts they might expect.

I don't think the US could fault Jack for losing 2022. They clearly got his vote and they might have even sold the three 2018 votes to Russia to get some of those 2022 votes that they picked up in the later voting rounds for 2022. he just didn't have enough juice to pull it off. At the end of the day Blatter wanted Russia and Qatar and is only so many delegates would go against him in either vote.

I agree that England should give up this bidding business. It not for them at all. And if they win one now everybody will suspect that it is because they bend over backwards and play the dirty game too. But FIFA ia a pack of scoundrels and they will always solicit them and make them feel they have a chance as an opportunity for further graft
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:46:08 AM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 07:49:01 AM »

So much time had been invested in courting Warner. A friendly international in his native Trinidad and Tobago in June 2008. A subsequent visit from David Beckham, who ended up, with his son Brooklyn, staying in Warner's home. 'I have a great relationship with Jack,' said Beckham on the eve of yesterday's vote. At least he thought he did.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335208/2018-World-Cup-bid-England-ticked-boxes-Warner-broke-word-dark-politics-took-over.html#ixzz173Vyz9AJ

:o

2018 World Cup bid: England ticked all the boxes then Warner broke his word and the 'dark politics' took over

That headline have me cracking up with the phrase 'dark politics' especially after looking at the Picture of deceit:  with Warner, flanked by Africa's Issa Hayatou and UEFA president Michel Platini.

The British media really crying about this decision yes!!  8)

Men will have to hide their T&T passports from now on when they in Britain!!   :devil:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:51:08 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 07:51:30 AM »
FT Score
Warner 3 - England 0
 :devil:

:rotfl:

no visa required for visits... I now come back from dey

visas required for work and other business of course

Gopee Scoon did do what dey ask b4 dey slap it on we.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 07:55:22 AM »
assuming that they did get warner's votes and got into the 2nd round of voting wouldnt the odds have still been highly against them? russia almost had it in the bag by the time they got into the 3rd round. england needs to realise that they didnt try hard enough or tried too hard in the wrong ways. they should have focused less on getting 1 man's vote and put more effort into convincing others.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 08:00:10 AM »
assuming that they did get warner's votes and got into the 2nd round of voting wouldnt the odds have still been highly against them? russia almost had it in the bag by the time they got into the 3rd round. england needs to realise that they didnt try hard enough or tried too hard in the wrong ways. they should have focused less on getting 1 man's vote and put more effort into convincing others.

Dey were made 2 blieve dat JW would get it 4 dem dey through there eggs in his basket and he through dem under d DOUBLE DECKER BUS. Even if dey had lost out that would have hurt dem but d fact dat he took dem round d mulberry bush and then eh vote 4 dem hurting dem badddddd badddddddd badddddddd.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02:42 AM »
it have anybody that Warner eh pull ah fast one on?  :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 08:10:51 AM »

GODDDDDDDDDD

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 08:29:43 AM »
Forumites ah just getting the feeling Jacks loooooong rope is coming to an end !!!!!!! If the US launches a campaign against him he's in deep dodo.No amount of small island votes going to get him back in power.The US will buy them out too.We already know the hispanics doh like him so he needs US support which he may have lost. 

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Forumites ah just getting the feeling Jacks loooooong rope is coming to an end !!!!!!! If the US launches a campaign against him he's in deep dodo.No amount of small island votes going to get him back in power.The US will buy them out too.We already know the hispanics doh like him so he needs US support which he may have lost. 

Where is the evidence that Warner did not vote for the USA (in his own confederation)?

Its possible that he voted for the USA but they still lost out in the end to Qatar as Warner is not the only one who votes!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »
For the last five days in Zurich, Jack Warner's chauffeur-driven Fifa limousine has nosed its way through the city's traffic to take the 67-year-old former school teacher to meetings with Prince William, David Cameron and David Beckham, who have treated Warner like a friend and ally.
I didn't know he was a school teacher...did anyone here ever have him for class?

Yes a friend of mine was in his class at Polytechnic

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 08:38:56 AM »

Where is the evidence that Warner did not vote for the USA (in his own confederation)?

Its possible that he voted for the USA but they still lost out in the end to Qatar as Warner is not the only one who votes!

APPERENTLY ENGLAND FELT SO

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 08:47:26 AM »

Wrong... Jack and Chuck and Sunil is best of friends... the USA lost and so did Jack

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 09:09:13 AM »
In as much as FIFA is a corrupt organization that f**k them over properly, the English need to start any inquisition by taking a long hard look at themselves.

What could be the possible motivation for the BBC to launch into an all out attack on FIFA at such a critical stage of the bid process??

The English media does constantly shoot their own country in the foot over and over. From overhyping their sports players to the point of applying insurmountable pressure on the eve of big tournaments (England WC teams, ASHES cricket teams, Tim Henman). From sabotaging their teams' successes at critical stages by launching into scandalous tabloid reporting at the most crucial stages eg. WAGS scandal at 2006 to all the scandulous tabloid reporting of the John Terry saga in 2010.

It is straight profiteering.

They wait until the whole nation eyes fixated on their team, or on their bid etc to use that audience base to publish scandal throw them off the rails. How dumb can you be?

If you look at other European countries like Italy, stuff like that is swept under the carpet because in the big picture, the nonsense is comparatively mundane.

What BBC did is tantamount to minor league treason.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 09:11:41 AM »

GODDDDDDDDDD

*chooks fire*

Well.....dahs assuming he does pay tithe (according to Malachi 3:8). I could imagine he and tithes......might work out just like de 50% of de money promised to de footballers.

In as much as FIFA is a corrupt organization that f**k them over properly, the English need to start any inquisition by taking a long hard look at themselves.

What could be the possible motivation for the BBC to launch into an all out attack on FIFA at such a critical stage of the bid process??

The English media does constantly shoot their own country in the foot over and over. From overhyping their sports players to the point of applying insurmountable pressure on the eve of big tournaments (England WC teams, ASHES cricket teams, Tim Henman). From sabotaging their teams' successes at critical stages by launching into scandalous tabloid reporting at the most crucial stages eg. WAGS scandal at 2006 to all the scandulous tabloid reporting of the John Terry saga in 2010.

They wait until the whole nation eyes fixated on their team, or on their bid etc to use that audience base to publish scandal throw them off the rails. How dumb can you be?

If you look at other European countries like Italy, stuff like that is swept under the carpet because in the big picture, the nonsense is comparatively mundane.

And yes...while dat may be true....I still find de whole sequence of events laughable.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »

I disagree.

It is a free press. Even if the press was openly antagonistic to the bid that would be their right. In this case their motivation in exposing FIFA is more financial than altruistic, but I taking even that over a press structure that would be silenced to serve some government or Nationalistic goal.

That kinda lockstep thinking and singular pursuit of national objectives by the press rarely has good consequences.

At the end of the day the press has a market that they serve and if they weren't satisfying the country's need for these stories they would suffer consequences. At the end of the day the people like the scandalousness.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 09:24:54 AM »

I disagree.

It is a free press. Even if the press was openly antagonistic to the bid that would be their right. In this case their motivation in exposing FIFA is more financial than altruistic, but I taking even that over a press structure that would be silenced to serve some government or Nationalistic goal.

That kinda lockstep thinking and singular pursuit of national objectives by the press rarely has good consequences.

At the end of the day the press has a market that they serve and if they weren't satisfying the country's need for these stories they would suffer consequences. At the end of the day the people like the scandalousness.

I agree it is a free press, but every press is control and filtered by sovereign entities that are able to push an agenda. It is never entirely objective, that much is a fact.

My whole issue is with the timing of it all which points to an agenda.

Obviously the expose was timed to coincide with the most crucial stage of the bidding process. Why not launch that a few months ago, or a few months after the bid?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »
Well, Elan, thank you for your clarification on the duty of the press.

For 4 years, aside from Liburd, the only journalists asking real questions about Warner and FIFA were English. I don't recall the Russian or Qatari media enlightening their citizens about the corruption in FIFA. The reason why is that they don't enjoy the luxury of a free press. In the FIFA press ratings, both countries scored the lowest...which means they would be no threat to FIFA. This vote was about 3 things....
1)minimising the ability of the press, thereby the citizens, of the host country to enjoy any transparency of the financial transactions surrounding the tournaments
2) The potential of billions of petro dollars filtering into FIFA pockets
3) The expansion of FIFAs global markets

This was a cynical decision based on money and secrecy. FIFA do not want to operate under the glare of media inspection.
As much as people may despise England, how can it make sense to stage World Cups in countries with very little football interest?
Would the NFL play matches in Bosnia?
Would ICC play matches  in Sweden?
Would the IOC put the winter olympics in Jamaica (even if the Jamaicans promised to build mountains and snow making machines and then distribute these to 3rd world countries after the games)?
Of course not.
A world cup in England is the dream of most true football supporters and players of any nationality.
The stadiums are there, the climate is right, the supporters (of any qualifying nation) are there.
Racism is practically non existent.
How can Qatar beat Australia? How can Qatar beat USA?

The British press, on the whole, kept quiet in order for the bid to get its best chance. Is this wrong? Maybe. But trust me, if we had won, they would immediately begin to ensure that there were no financial misappropriations. Thats what FIFA were scared of.
So people may laugh that England were dismissed. But today, the English are laughing at the football world. The world cup lost its magic and credibility yesterday and the world of football will be poorer.

And, guys, believe me, this  effects T&T. People think T&T is corrupt because thats the impression created by Warner. And the fact that the Trini media continually fail to investigate Warner just adds to that belief.
People in England are bitter, and they won't forget this for a long time. The future King of England was lied to his face by Jack. You think he's gonna forget that?
Trinis should be ashamed that the best known trini is Jack Warner. He's flying your flag, and its embarrassing. I find myself defending T&T. All English people know is that this guy is a crook and he's fromTrinidad.
Its a sad day for England & Trinidad

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2010, 09:32:40 AM »
I agree it is a free press, but every press is control and filtered by sovereign entities that are able to push an agenda. It is never entirely objective, that much is a fact.

My whole issue is with the timing of it all which points to an agenda.

Obviously the expose was timed to coincide with the most crucial stage of the bidding process. Why not launch that a few months ago, or a few months after the bid?

If they are agenda driven you scould say that Monday night gave them the most impact. Likewise if it is just money then Monday night gives them the best viewership. Unlike the papers Panorama and Jennings not making no money so for them it is about putting FIFA on blast.

They clearly not that interested in the bid and/or knows that they wouldn't have much effect anyway. Either way it still better than having anybody dictate when or what they should broadcast.

The downside of a free press in this case is far outweighed by the good of having one in all other aspects of life. In the garans scheme hosting a WC can't be that important.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2010, 09:41:12 AM »

I disagree.

If they are agenda driven you scould say that Monday night gave them the most impact. Likewise if it is just money then Monday night gives them the best viewership. Unlike the papers Panorama and Jennings not making no money so for them it is about putting FIFA on blast.

They clearly not that interested in the bid and/or knows that they wouldn't have much effect anyway. Either way it still better than having anybody dictate when or what they should broadcast.

The downside of a free press in this case is far outweighed by the good of having one in all other aspects of life. In the grand scheme hosting a WC can't be that important.

Two great posts... Bravo

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »
Side note on the Qatari question:

Yesterday I was talking about the selection on facebook with a good friend of mine from UAE... I mentioned that although no one doubts Qatar's ability to host an event of this magnitude, especially since they have tons of money at their disposal, Qatar's main challenges will be related to creating a completely climate-controlled infrastructure to keep people out the heat, temporarily relaxing social norms to allow for drinking, scantily clad girls and the like, and then convincing the World that this is a tournament for "everyone" to attend. Here's what he had to say:

"Infrastructure is not a problem, they will be building pretty much a world cup city just for the event with 5 world class stadiums away from current Qatari cities with new hotels and road systems to handle the event. The laws in Qatar are not that strict but the social norms will be something to deal with. Especially since soccer is the #1 sport in the middle east and many arabs will be coming from neighboring countries- i can see that as being an issue but Qatar is looking to be the hub for soccer in the middle east and i can see them putting great efforts to be as liberal as possible to keep a good image for future events. Also Qatar is very safe, low risk of crime for fans, unlike Brazil"

Guess I'll start saving for Qatar from now...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:25:34 AM by #4 »

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2010, 10:58:33 AM »
I am disapointed we didn't get it but far from suprised this decision was made a while ago.

Cameron and the rest knew exactly what / who they were cuddling upto and I would be amazed if the result came as a major shock, afterall they are all politicians and if any of them told me it was daylight I would walk to the nearest window to check.  I don't think any lessons will be learned at all.

Not everybody in the country was comfortable with the necessities that went along with the bidding process given the history of those involved.  The BBC aren't well thought of at FIFA and indeed the journalist is banned, The Sunday Times is owned by an Australian now so no big suprise there either.  For those saying the timing was bad there would never be a good time, it will always be blamed if aired beforehand, if aired afterwards it would be viewed as sour grapes.  It only pointed out the facts and as we all know I don't think any of those people implicated would of survived in any other body.  The press in this country will get blamed but I suspect they are already working on it.

It maybe just me but I have had the impression for a long time that FIFA delegates believe they are untouchable and behave as such, Fatter being a prime example, his crass attempt at a joke about the handball (Ireland / France) last world cup was just embarrasing and totally out of order, I have read today he was asked to name a Quatar player and responded with Eric Clapton. 

The problem with an organisation like that is somebody is always looking for a last payday and I suspect the press will make it worthwhile to someone.  Its only a matter of when not if imho.  The biggest joke is FIFA's logo of Fair Play.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »

Yesterday I was talking about the selection on facebook with a good friend of mine from UAE... I mentioned that although no one doubts Qatar's ability to host an event of this magnitude, especially since they have tons of money at their disposal, Qatar's main challenges will be related to creating a completely climate-controlled infrastructure to keep people out the heat, temporarily relaxing social norms to allow for drinking, scantily clad girls and the like, and then convincing the World that this is a tournament for "everyone" to attend. Here's what he had to say:

"Infrastructure is not a problem, they will be building pretty much a world cup city just for the event with 5 world class stadiums away from current Qatari cities with new hotels and road systems to handle the event. The laws in Qatar are not that strict but the social norms will be something to deal with. Especially since soccer is the #1 sport in the middle east and many arabs will be coming from neighboring countries- i can see that as being an issue but Qatar is looking to be the hub for soccer in the middle east and i can see them putting great efforts to be as liberal as possible to keep a good image for future events. Also Qatar is very safe, low risk of crime for fans, unlike Brazil :)"

A lot of people have no idea how HUGE football is in the middle east.  And I also think a lot of the resistance to Qatar hosting it is majorly down to plain ignorance and some xenophobia

I for one have no problem with Qatar being awarded the World Cup.  Football is advertised as THE WORLD'S GAME.  But for some people apparently it's showpiece event must only be held in certain parts of the world.

Maybe now a whole demographic of football lovers will be able to realize THEIR dream of attending a World Cup Finals in a familiar environment.

Just like when some of them have to travel to western countries and endure people wantonly getting drunk in the streets under the guise of "partying", now people from western countries will have to deal with a different environment.

It was the same sort of thing that happened when South Africa was given the World Cup to host.

Same ting with Russia.  It's a no brainer for the largest country in the world with a solid football tradition be given the right to host the World Cup.

I eh go lie, it would be much easier for ME to travel to either England or the USA.  And for sure I would rather go to either than Russia or Qatar.  But the same way I feel so, it have millions who would rather go to Russia and Qatar.  And one ting we have in common is a love of football.

And for those that talk about racism in Russia, ah bettin if de Spain and Portugal bid did win, yuh wouldn't hear nutting bout racism despite the NUMEROUS occasions that black players in Spain have been abused...including Ronaldinho and Eto'o.

Congrats to Russia AND Qatar.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »

"Infrastructure is not a problem, they will be building pretty much a world cup city just for the event with 5 world class stadiums away from current Qatari cities with new hotels and road systems to handle the event. The laws in Qatar are not that strict but the social norms will be something to deal with. Especially since soccer is the #1 sport in the middle east and many arabs will be coming from neighboring countries- i can see that as being an issue but Qatar is looking to be the hub for soccer in the middle east and i can see them putting great efforts to be as liberal as possible to keep a good image for future events. Also Qatar is very safe, low risk of crime for fans, unlike Brazil :)"

A lot of people have no idea how HUGE football is in the middle east.  And I also think a lot of the resistance to Qatar hosting it is majorly down to plain ignorance and some xenophobia

I for one have no problem with Qatar being awarded the World Cup.  Football is advertised as THE WORLD'S GAME.  But for some people apparently it's showpiece event must only be held in certain parts of the world.

Maybe now a whole demographic of football lovers will be able to realize THEIR dream of attending a World Cup Finals in a familiar environment.

Just like when some of them have to travel to western countries and endure people wantonly getting drunk in the streets under the guise of "partying", now people from western countries will have to deal with a different environment.

It was the same sort of thing that happened when South Africa was given the World Cup to host.

Same ting with Russia.  It's a no brainer for the largest country in the world with a solid football tradition be given the right to host the World Cup.

I eh go lie, it would be much easier for ME to travel to either England or the USA.  And for sure I would rather go to either than Russia or Qatar.  But the same way I feel so, it have millions who would rather go to Russia and Qatar.  And one ting we have in common is a love of football.

And for those that talk about racism in Russia, ah bettin if de Spain and Portugal bid did win, yuh wouldn't hear nutting bout racism despite the NUMEROUS occasions that black players in Spain have been abused...including Ronaldinho and Eto'o.

Congrats to Russia AND Qatar.

Good post and insight.

1]; } ?>