April 27, 2024, 09:07:45 AM

Author Topic: Influence of violence and intimidation on local football  (Read 825 times)

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Influence of violence and intimidation on local football
« on: December 03, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »
Seems to me, even moreso than in the 80's when I played intercol, that football is a roughneck chicken sport. Are we losing some of our best talents early because of current issues in society? Can a baller from Curepe go nice up a league in Arima and stand up to a hard tackle from a local badman without being dealt with during or after a game? I've heard the days of big challenges from ballmen going into other areas to meet other village starboys are no more. Latapy, Marcelle and dem played everywhere as youths. This included CIC boys like Rocke, Shaka, Kona...QRC boys like Guisseppi, Sterling Smith, Fatima boys too. For some reason, this never included many of the whites who I've seen mentioned in a recent thread, and I'm really wondering if the same (fear of leaving your safe fishbowl?????) that affected these white(very often rich) guys who could really play, is affecting the rest of our society in terms of kids exposure to competitive, passionate, reputation/pride building football. Can a St. Anthony's player score a big goal in intercol against San Juan and celebrate, then walk from the stadium to his home in Woodbrook without getting a slap if he walks past a San Juan section  waiting for a taxi? I've seen this intimidation sour an otherwise great fete match while I was home recently, and I was wondering if this has gotten to the level that you think our top level football is affected. Opinions welcome!
Doh loss yuh head boss

1]; } ?>