April 28, 2024, 11:19:05 PM

Author Topic: FIFA Ballon d’Or award  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
FIFA Ballon d’Or award
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:26 AM »
FIFA Ballon d’Or award seems to be a crock of sh*t.
I don't know how selection is done and I am too lazy to research it
but my guess is it's some internet crap.

Milito was not even on the 23 players nominated and now Sneijder, not on
the final 3 short list. Bogus! Anyone with the minimum knowledge of the game
would recognize this decision as rubbish. FIFA gets it wrong again!

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA Ballon d’Or award
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
Maybe the process is the same as the FIFA rankings.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
On accomplishments Sneijder should be there and he should probably win it... He had a tremendous year.

That said, he would never be European or World footballer of the year for me.  That would take the value of magic and beauty outta the game....

Sneijder had some very big games, and scored some crucial goals both for Inter and Holland but a footballer is more than just what shows up on the statistics sheet in my opinion...which is probably why these things are so subjective and ultimately controversial. (i.e. it's almost impossible to measure the intangibles)

To me, Messi, Iniesta and Xavi (the shortlist) lit up the football stage more than Sneijder last season.  Messi tore teams to shreds and entertained fans in a way that Sneijder could never do... He had performances last season that will go down in history as some of the best ever- football from the heavens that we should consider ourselves lucky to have seen live...

....and Xavi and Iniesta were the engine of the World Champions (Iniesta scoring the lone [winning] goal).  Both for Barca and for Spain Xavi and Iniesta played a higher calibre of football in a creative midfield capacity than did Sneijder.  Despite his position in the middle of the field, in my opinion Sneijder made a bigger name for himself last season by being an opportunistic goal scoring midfielder moreso than from being a consistently creative midfield maestro over the 90 mins of his games...

Like ah say, on accomplishments , statistics and pure effectiveness, Sneijder was arguably European and World footballer of the year for 2009/2010....not only did he win a treble but he was very instrumental in getting his teams to where they got.  But  I watched Inter closely last season- not just champions league...I also watched Barca/la liga and the World Cup...Xavi, Iniesta and Messi lit football up on a different level to Sniejder last season...they played football that draws adjectives such as breathtaking, superb, magical, genius...Sneijder was "just" very good....

I have no problem with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi being the top 3 players in Europe....dais just me though.   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:12:08 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »
On accomplishments Sneijder should be there and he should probably win it... He had a tremendous year.

That said, he would never be European footballer of the year for me.  That would take the value of magic and beauty outta the game....

Sneijder had some very big games, and scored some crucial goals both for Inter and Holland but a footballer is more than just what shows up on the statistics sheet in my opinion...which is probably why these things are so subjective and ultimately controversial. (i.e. it's almost impossible to measure the intangibles)

To me, Messi, Iniesta and Xavi (the shortlist) lit up the football stage more than Sneijder last season.  Messi tore teams to shreds and entertained fans in a way that Sneijder could never do... He had performances last season that will go down in history as some of the best ever- football from the heavens that we should consider ourselves lucky to have seen live...

....and Xavi and Iniesta were the engine of the World Champions (Iniesta scoring the lone [winning] goal).  Both for Barca and for Spain Xavi and Iniesta played a higher calibre of football in a creative midfield capacity than did Sneijder.  Despite his position in the middle of the field, in my opinion Sneijder made a bigger name for himself last season by being an opportunistic goal scoring midfielder moreso than from being a consistently creative midfield maestro over the 90 mins of his games...

Like ah say, on accomplishments , statistics and pure effectiveness, Sneijder was arguably European and World footballer of the year for 2009/2010....not only did he win a treble but he was very instrumental in getting his teams to where they got.  But  I watched Inter closely last season- not just champions league...I also watched Barca/la liga and the World Cup...Xavi, Iniesta and Messi lit football up on a different level to Sniejder last season...they played football that draws adjectives such as breathtaking, superb, magical, genius...Sneijder was "just" very good....

I have no problem with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi being the top 3 players in Europe....dais just me though.   

Good argument Kicker, one flaw, Iniesta was injured most of last season for Barca.  IMHO it was a big factor in Barca's stumble last year.  He was instrumental at the WC, that is for sure.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »

Doh playa hate dawg!!

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »

Good argument Kicker, one flaw, Iniesta was injured most of last season for Barca.  IMHO it was a big factor in Barca's stumble last year.  He was instrumental at the WC, that is for sure.

Yeah good point he was in and out due to injury for Barca. 

He still started about half the season (in spurts)...and when he was on... he was on...

Thing is I real like Sneijder- was very upset when Madrid released him... but in my opinion, to call him European player of the year would be to take something away from the game as I like it, which is why I personally was cool with the shortlist.   

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
if the roles were reversed and Sneijder had buss Spain net, he would've won it fuh shizzle.

Més que un club.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »
Wappen goofy pick de shortlist or wa?
Iniesta shouldn't be there over Sneijder.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 03:33:03 PM »
if the roles were reversed and Sneijder had buss Spain net, he would've won it fuh shizzle.

Difficult to refute that....

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:22:51 PM »

Co-flickin-sign
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »
Wappen goofy pick de shortlist or wa?
Iniesta shouldn't be there over Sneijder.

;D

Més que un club.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 08:04:29 AM »
http://www.goal.com/en/news/2724/ballon-dor/2010/12/11/2255821/uefa-president-michel-platini-im-supporting-inter-wesley

UEFA President Michel Platini: I'm Supporting Inter & Wesley Sneijder Should Have Been In Ballon D'Or Final Three

UEFA president Michel Platini is the latest in voice in a hoard of condemnation for Wesley Sneijder's omission from the Ballon d'Or final three, but he offers solace and solidarity for Inter by supporting them at the Club World Cup.

Sneijder's exclusion from the final three - Barcelona trio Andres Iniesta, Xavi and Lionel Messi - sent a wave of disbelief around the football globe, and Platini feels the Dutchman should have been in.

"I would have said Xavi and then Sneijder, who for one goal didn't win everything, and then Iniesta," Platini told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"It's unjust the Inter man not being in the top three."

Inter are in Abu Dhabi for the Club World Cup and their European roots pushes the UEFA leader to lean on them.

"As UEFA president I have to support Inter. Since my election European teams have always won," he said.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »

I too lazy mehself ..if is an award for best footballer ..then we could save a lot of ink and sleep ... There is no player in the clouds with Messi right now . If it is just to decide based on trophies won then Xavi who won all that Messi won with Barca but also won the World Cup is s definite. on another note ... I cant believe people are still taking quotes about who is the world's best footballer ???

1]; } ?>