April 26, 2024, 04:10:18 PM

Author Topic: Fenwick: It would be an honor to lead the Soca Warriors.  (Read 13033 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Fenwick: It would be an honor to lead the Soca Warriors.
« on: December 16, 2010, 07:32:21 AM »
By: Inshan Mohammed.

Former Crystal Palace and Tottenham Hotspur player Terry Fenwick says it would be a great honor to lead Trinidad and Tobago National football team if given the opportunity too.

The Seaham-born former English defender told the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) that he would change the mediocrity and failure that currently surrounds the team and instill pride and determination back into T&T football.

Read what Terry told the SWO in his latest Q&A with us.

SWO - Terry, if given the opportunity to lead T&T senior men’s team will you accept? If yes, why?
TF: - I would love to coach/manage the T&T National team. It has been a long time ambition, I have however, resigned myself to the fact that there are those that would prefer to ignore my abilities. There is no doubt I am the most experienced and most qualified coach on these beautiful Islands, and no-one has considered the advantages I bring to the table. I am one of only two coaches in the PFL that have never contributed to the National effort, while my club and my development program provide more National players at every level than any other club. Why would I take the job?  Because I would be successful, I would win ! I would also love the opporunity to help Trinidad and Tobago in anyway I can, it will also be great to work with the T&T federation.

SWO - We as fans want to see attractive, constructive and determined football. If you got the job as T&T head coach what difference would you make and what new ideas will you be bringing to the table.
TF: - I would restore National Pride in our football and qualify for all the important competitions, World Cup and Gold Cup!  My passion for the game, coaching ability and determination would come shining through in my teams. T&T are fed up with mediocrity and failure, I would change that!

SWO - Do you feel you have what it takes to make our local players better? In other words, can you bring them up to the international standard?
TF: - Flex, we are producing top quality players here in T&T, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!  Our deficiencies are in coaching and our ability to get the message across. My knowledge, coaching ability and discipline would reap rewards…… Players enjoy working in a professional environment; I would do my best to provide that for my players.

SWO - Assuming you got the job what about a supporting staff? Will we see changes?
TF: - I would find positions for most of T&T’s legendary players past and present, they all have a part to play. They should all contribute. Good players recognize good players and T&T needs a strong character at the top to harness and direct the combined efforts of these legends to ensure on-going continuity and success. I am a strong character!!!

SWO - What do you feel are some of the important things missing in our football today, both on and off the field?
TF: - Coaching awards should be made available to all and not just a selected few. T&T, lack good coaches, there is a lot of good will and effort, but technical competence is sadly amiss. I would support the PFL teams in their fight to obtain access to community facilities, supporters and social clubs, a home base and a facility to call their own.

SWO - I was very happy to see some of the things Russell Latapy did as coach of the T&T team, for example, he capped a few young talents who seemed to be future stars. If for some reason Latapy’s service as head coach was cut, would you consider offering him the opportunity to work with you at some capacity?
TF: - Absolutely!

SWO - Do you feel the administration in our football needs restructuring?
TF: - Administration and football will always clash because administrators do not know football and players are often poorly advised. Clear lines of communication should be directed through the coach/manager to ensure a fair deal for all, players must respect the coach and the coach needs to earn that respect by doing the right thing. Unfortunately, poor communication is rife within T&T football. Poor decisions have been made on several emotional occasions, WC 2006 bonus payments for example, I believe the head coach/manager should negotiate a fair and achievable bonus schedule with the players relevant to whichever competition.

SWO - The Pro League’s survival is vital to the improvement of our players? How do you feel you can contribute to improving the League on the whole?
TF: - I would lobby for government intervention, many leagues around the world are subsidized by government, they see the social benefits football brings to communities and in particular the young people on the street?  Uneducated, unwanted, unloved kids, will fall on the wrong side of life not by their own doing, but by the lack of planning and support from the authorities. We can’t turn a blind eye, we must hold a hand out to all!

SWO - What about the fans, how will you go about convincing them to come out and support your team?
TF: - Trini’s love and support success, nothing else will do. We must provide that success!  I would drive Jack Warner mad to get better quality games for the National Team. I would cease to play meaningless games, no disrespect intended, against other small Island teams that we should be beating out of sight!  I would leave that to the youth development levels of National football. Our National under 23 boys should be beating any Caribbean senior teams at the moment.

SWO - Do you feel you'll get support from the TTFF to do your job if given the hot seat?
TF: - No, there will always be opposition because of my determination and desire to improve and succeed.  I will always be striving for better and not tolerating mediocrity.  One thing is for sure, my success would ensure people sit up and listen.  I know the powers that be are frightened of the success I will bring. That is a huge mental hurdle for the decision makers…. “What if Fenwick succeeds???”  What would they do, and how would they handle it ?? In closing this, I love it here in Trinidad and I love the people and it would be great to lead T&T National team if given the opportunity too onday.

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:23:53 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Fenwick: It would be an honor to lead the Soca Warriors.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »

From Left: George Fenwick sport his England shirt while his father Terry sport his Soca Warriors Shirt during the England vs Trinidad and Tobago WC game in Germany 2006. ... PHOTO: SWO.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:56:56 AM by Tallman »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »
Flex alyuh miss the most important Question.

Terry are you willing to work as Russel's Assistant?

That will be the best work for him   :rotfl:

Then we will know if he really happy to work with the cause or if he just wants to fullfill his own ambition.

Fenwick is a more experience coach than latapy and has a good read on the local players so he will be a good coach for tnt.

The problem will come with his interaction with the TTFA.

So is either the TTFA will change operations or Fenwick will quit

place your bets.

my money is on keeping latapy in place.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:38:51 AM »
I say give Fenwick a chance, not saying he is a savior, but time will tell, he have the right attitude to be a good coach, he is qualified more than any other local coaches and he's got the disipline to get the local players up to a higher level which is very important.

He is a good coach and has been good at Jabloteh over the years.

The problem is, will the TTFF support his ambitions ?

Latapy has been here for roughly 2-years, time for him to pack his back or accept being an assistant coach or under 23 team coach. He had his chance, he also forced his players to play under bad terms for a year !!! not a month or two, but a year, imagine you going to work for free and your supervisor demanding 100% from you and your kids and wife hungry at home.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:01:18 AM »
An honor I will never receive and if I get it will b bets on who last longer me or Gibbs.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
i know he would of come out soon and admit he want de post
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »
I thought people say he turn down the job 3 times arready?  This was news to me... but if true then why wasn't this asked?  If true again, what spurs the change of heart now?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »
man can't even sport an official shirt!

Keep this fella away from the team please.

Shims.. bess keep quite or he'll slap me oui!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:01:23 AM »

Man went Germany (many T&T fans didn't even go) and support the team and against the country he was born in and you studing official shirt. !!!!!!!!!

I hope he gets the chance. Fenwick as head coach, Latapy as his assistant, talk done.

The Olympic team should also be coached by both men as well.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:04:58 AM »

Where yuh think the man from? That would be like me going to Brazil sporting a USA shirt when T&T playing aswell. I live and have my life in the US, but if I had to decide which country to support, it would be T&T hands down.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 10:19:56 AM »

Where yuh think the man from? That would be like me going to Brazil sporting a USA shirt when T&T playing aswell. I live and have my life in the US, but if I had to decide which country to support, it would be T&T hands down.

didn' quite dat one mihself, home will also be where yuh heart is for most
I pity the fool....

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
SWO - I was very happy to see some of the things Russell Latapy did as coach of the T&T team, for example, he capped a few young talents who seemed to be future stars. If for some reason Latapy’s service as head coach was cut, would you consider offering him the opportunity to work with you at some capacity?
TF: - Absolutely!

I wonder if Flex did asked Latas this same question what would have been his reply.

I agree Sam, Fenwick as head coach could make a difference, but support is needed and Latas as his assistant would be lovely too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:23:14 AM by Flex »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
SWO - We as fans want to see attractive, constructive and determined football. If you got the job as T&T head coach what difference would you make and what new ideas will you be bringing to the table.
TF: - I would restore National Pride in our football and qualify for all the important competitions, World Cup and Gold Cup!   My passion for the game, coaching ability and determination would come shining through in my teams. T&T are fed up with mediocrity and failure, I would change that!

Oh really!  ???
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »

?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »

Man went Germany (many T&T fans didn't even go) and support the team and against the country he was born in and you studing official shirt. !!!!!!!!!

I hope he gets the chance. Fenwick as head coach, Latapy as his assistant, talk done.

The Olympic team should also be coached by both men as well.

man, keep both of them away from the team. Doh get mumuguy with Fenwick.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »
So allyuh seriously think Latas ego will let him be an assistant coach?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
TF: - I would restore National Pride in our football and qualify for all the important competitions, World Cup and Gold Cup!   My passion for the game, coaching ability and determination would come shining through in my teams. T&T are fed up with mediocrity and failure, I would change that!

Oh really!  ???

palos at least give de man ah chance to prove yuh wrong

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »

well he was an assistant coach under Maturana no?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »

Oh really!  ???

palos at least give de man ah chance to prove yuh wrong

I don't know of any coach that can guarantee dem kinda things.

Not even the USA or Mexico coach in CONCACAF

And dem does quaify automatically for the Gold Cup

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »

TF: - I would restore National Pride in our football and qualify for all the important competitions, World Cup and Gold Cup!  My passion for the game, coaching ability and determination would come shining through in my teams. T&T are fed up with mediocrity and failure, I would change that!

Terry does not think he will get this job. No coach in their right mind knowing the situation with the TTFF would make these kinda promises with out setting conditions and a timeline. Right now the man politicking, talking with water in his mouth.  Why didn't he answer the question and state tangible differences and new ideas?

SWO - Do you feel you have what it takes to make our local players better? In other words, can you bring them up to the international standard?
TF: - Flex, we are producing top quality players here in T&T, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!  Our deficiencies are in coaching and our ability to get the message across. My knowledge, coaching ability and discipline would reap rewards…… Players enjoy working in a professional environment; I would do my best to provide that for my players.

The follow up question should have been regarded expectations for Jabloteh in the CONCACAF Club Championship.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »

hmmmm

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
With nothing really going on where football is concerned, no real harm in giving him the job right now. See what he could get done. He can't do any worse plus he has more experience.

I supported Latas and he didn't win the Digi or even qualify for the Gold Cup (which at a minimum he should have done).

Provided we could line up some friendlies we could be back on track. We basically will need to get as much games against the Gold Cup teams as they prepare cause can't see the team doing much more than that as far as preparation. We could see what TF will get done before World Cup qualifiers.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
WOW, JUST WOW  :applause:

I can only dream of him taking over the reigns
Hart for president

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
He's not short on confidence, thats for sure

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »
Any coach who could install the discipline in our National Team that they would knock that ball around for at least a minute with a proper defence and at the same time deal with TTFF and they bullshit i say go brave . 
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »
Any coach who could install the discipline in our National Team that they would knock that ball around for at least a minute

If it have 5 teams in WORLD FOOTBALL....club or country....that could do that in serious competition....it have plenty.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 04:18:26 PM »

well he was an assistant coach under Maturana no?

Let meh qualify that statement ....his ego won't allow him to accept that position after being head coach

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 05:05:20 PM »
Ok let's put some constructuve comments for this very important discussion on Fenwick. Top score is 10 on any criterion. Some have more weight than others.
Concerning Fenwick:

1. Disciplinarian qualities: 9 (not 10, because of potential for being abusive and counterproductive)
2. Confidence 9:
3. Football knowledge: 8
4. Respect from football fraternity: 6
5. Respect from total T&T ballers: 6 (Potential discord in the camp)
6. Knowledge of T&T football scene: 9
7. Suitability of football style to T&T players: 3 (Predominantly a slighltly more refined boom kick style)
8. Comraderie with T&T coaches: 4
9: Intentions for developing T&T talent: 8
10: Mentoring capacity with insecure troubled youths like the Whitley type: 3
11: Ass-licking resistance with Jackula: 5
12: Polarizing tendency and selfishness and backstabbing: 3
13: Dishonesty factor, trustworthiness: 6
14: Hardworking factor: 8
15: Attractiveness of football brand: 2

Overall, I say don't do it ... :-\
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:08:03 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 05:17:04 PM »
Ok let's put some constructuve comments for this very important discussion on Fenwick. Top score is 10 on any criterion. Some have more weight than others.
Concerning Fenwick:

1. Disciplinarian qualities: 9 (not 10, because of potential for being abusive and counterproductive)
2. Confidence 9:
7. Suitability of football style to T&T players: 3 (Predominantly a slighltly more refined boom kick style)

My turn..

1. Disciplinarian qualities: 9
2. Confidence 9:
4. Respect from football fraternity: 4
5. Respect from total T&T ballers: 8 (He will make them respect him and the shirt)
7. Suitability of football style to T&T players: 8 (Jabloteh is no long ball team.. Terry likes good football starting from the back..structure and formation are key with discipline and determination)
10: Mentoring capacity with insecure troubled youths like the Whitley type: 6 (Whitley is a lost soul..no one can help him.. unfair to signal out Terry on that... he's done well with some trouble makers..Peltier and Guerra included)
11: Ass-licking resistance with Jackula: 8 (Terry is hiw own man and will not bend over like Latapy and Maturana)
12: Hardworking factor: 10
13: Attractiveness of football brand: 7

DO IT
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:45:12 PM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 05:36:09 PM »
Concerning Fenwick:

2. Confidence 9:

Where's the proof that T&T ballers don't respect him?

Is not Trini players he working with at Jabloteh?  Is he not successful playing his style with those Trini players?  Does TnT even have a facking "style"?  Other than starting slow, ketching goal in we ass and spending 3/4 of the game playing catch-up?  Conceding sorf goal is de 'style' yuh talking about?  If so then I ready fuh ah new style.

What about his mentoring capacity with hardworking Trini youths hungry for an opportunity to shine?  Or should we only concern weself with reclamation projects like Whitley and Hardest?

How yuh go only rate him ah "5"... he should be ah 10 because he doh seem like he'll be willing to kiss anybody ass... Jack included.

Do you even know the meaning of the term "backstabbing"?  Is clear yuh letting yuh bias rule yuh thought process b/c Fenwick will quicker plant de knife between yuh eyes rather than in yuh back.  If nothing else yuh know where yuh stand with him and doh have to worry about him two-timing yuh.

Again... based on what?  Yuh might not like what he have to say but he's ah man yuh could always trust to speak his mind, and to tell you what on yuh mind.  What you basing this rating on?

The only "attractiveness" we need to concern weself with at this stage is wins in the win column.  What's the sense playing 'attractive' ball and yuh getting yuh ass wash?

You doh like the man so you giving him biased ratings.

1]; } ?>