April 19, 2024, 09:35:12 PM

Author Topic: One of T&T's unsung heroes recognized today.  (Read 35453 times)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: One of T&T's unsung heroes recognized today.
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 05:50:43 AM »
giants does really walk amongst us...  ;)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 09:16:15 AM »
Long but worth the read !

Mr Coops, I never know you had all this info under your belt..

Ivan Smapson played for T&T allyuh ? And under Coops, we beating teams 11-0, maybe coops should call Latapy and talk with him.

Hope you get better soon Coops.

PS: Never knew Colin Rocke was that good. !!

Alot of great info here Flex... you put this together very well I must say.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
Kenwyn had such a fantastic season with Army that he was called up to represent Trinidad and Tobago’s senior team, though he was never entered into our database here at the SWO because of the lack of recorded information in those days and Coops never kept records himself.

Coops played for Trinidad and Tobago between 1974 to 1975, and played under coach Edgar Vidale. He played in such tournaments as the Pan American Games and the Olympic Qualifiers respectively. There were no restrictions when it came to Olympic football, and T&T fielded their senior team in the said tournament.  Maybe this was one of the reasons he's not on the SWO database as players who participated in those tournaments were not officially recorded in the history books of T&T football.

Yeh, de reason he is not in de database is because the matches in those tournaments are not considered senior internationals, which is what our database currently tracks. However, there are plans to expand the scope of the database, so he will be in there at some point.

1975 team before a training session:
Back row (L-R): Ken Henry, Lawrence Rondon, Tom Phillips, Devenish Paul, Leon Carpette, Ron LaForest, Sydney Augustine, Selwyn Murren, Edgar Vidale.
Front row (L-R): Norris Sorzano, Robert Francis, Steve Khan, Kenwyne Cooper, Mike Grayson, Milton Archibald.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 02:33:41 PM »
Memories of my favorite players growing up.

Coops could correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the T&T team use to play warm up games against POSFL, SFA/SFL Selects etc. Huge crowds use to turn out to see those games. As a matter of fact when  Kevin Verity took over, Leon Carpett dominated the midfield for SFA/SFL vs T&T and was then selected for the 1973 Team.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Yogi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
"Ah guess dat yuh talking bout Ray Roberts."

Yes Tallman yuh spot on  ;D

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »
Memories of my favorite players growing up.

Coops could correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the T&T team use to play warm up games against POSFL, SFA/SFL Selects etc. Huge crowds use to turn out to see those games. As a matter of fact when  Kevin Verity took over, Leon Carpett dominated the midfield for SFA/SFL vs T&T and was then selected for the 1973 Team.
       You are correct,it was the norm to play warm up games against these combine teams on a regular basis,i can even recall the team that went to Haiti playing against us(DF) in Skinner Pk before leaving,it was a way for  selectors to see players they must have missed.

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
Excellent Read !!!!!

Good work Flex and get well Coops

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »
Excellent read and deserving recognition. Coops comes from a true footballing family, with his brothers having represented St. Mary's on the football field with distinction, Michael in or around 1970 and Zachary in 1974. Perhaps Coops may wish to confirm this.

Permit me to point out though that Ron La Forest and Len La Forest are cousins and not brothers. Actually, Len carried the surname 'de Souza' until his entry to Belmont Intermediate where the name change took place. Just a bit of trivia.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
Excellent read and deserving recognition. Coops comes from a true footballing family, with his brothers having represented St. Mary's on the football field with distinction, Michael in or around 1970 and Zachary in 1974. Perhaps Coops may wish to confirm this.

Permit me to point out though that Ron La Forest and Len La Forest are cousins and not brothers. Actually, Len carried the surname 'de Souza' until his entry to Belmont Intermediate where the name change took place. Just a bit of trivia.
        Yes both my youger brothers played for St Marys,Michael went on to play for Maple after leaving St Marys and had the distinction of being assistant Coach of the national team when Alvin coached,Zachary went to play for Jabloteh in their grassroots days in Aranguez etc etc i must say they were descent players.   

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
Big up 2 meh San Juan coach speedy recovery u are in my prayers.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 09:36:28 PM »
Haven't been on the site much lately but this is what makes this site so great.  I always knew that Coops was a coach and played in the league back home but I didn't even realise his pedigree.  I could remember that b-team, had no idea Coops was the coach, that was a damn good team.  Coops, stay strong my brother. Flex, job well done as usual.  Yuh is ah boss.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
A really nice interview, thanks Flex & Coops. Just a correction however, when Gally's Strike Squad played in the first Caribbean Cup Finals they beat Barbados 3-0 but lost to Guadeloupe 2-0, it was a Barbados victory over Guadeloupe that got us into the final against Grenada. I always wanted to know who coached the Shell B team as they were called, now I know. I am married to the daughter of a member of the '73 team , he played in the SFA (they say he was the hardest kicker of the ball in south, used to score goals from the half line) so I will ask the Ole Man if he had the honour of playing against Coops.

Yes, Ray had a powerful shot. It was a stinging shot to be exact. I first saw him play in the Oval againts Chelsea with Bonetti,Osgood. He scored and low hard shot outside the area. Bonetti never had a chance. But Chelsea won 3-2.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 07:34:11 AM »
A really nice interview, thanks Flex & Coops. Just a correction however, when Gally's Strike Squad played in the first Caribbean Cup Finals they beat Barbados 3-0 but lost to Guadeloupe 2-0, it was a Barbados victory over Guadeloupe that got us into the final against Grenada. I always wanted to know who coached the Shell B team as they were called, now I know. I am married to the daughter of a member of the '73 team , he played in the SFA (they say he was the hardest kicker of the ball in south, used to score goals from the half line) so I will ask the Ole Man if he had the honour of playing against Coops.

Thanks, correction made.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 08:01:10 AM »
it really grieve my heart why the TTFF in such a small country like TnT doh use the resources ah men like Coops and others,whereas a huge country like America uses every resource it could possibly use. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:09:49 PM by royal »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »
ttproleague publish your article Flex and they have manners, they not like the T&T Newspapers who does not credit the source...

Thank you Mr Skeene

http://www.ttproleague.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=510:one-of-tats-unsung-heroes-recognized-today&catid=1:domestic-news

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »
Re. the photo of Coops. where he really raising dat ball?

It look gravelly no ass.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2010, 03:41:58 PM »

It look gravelly no ass.

VB
       That was in Mexico,Pan Am Games.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
it really grieve my heart why the TTFF in such a small country like TnT doh use the resources ah men like Coops and others,whereas a huge country like America uses every resource it could possibly use. 

Small country, small ambition, small minds, brother!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2010, 06:43:48 PM »

It look gravelly no ass.

VB

Oh shit. I thought that was in some neighbourhood in TT.

DAT is where dey put allyuh to practice?

VB

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2010, 07:34:33 PM »
One of T&T's unsung heroes recognized today.
By: Inshan Mohammed.

At one time, he was considered one of the best right-wingers in Trinidad and Tobago.  In fact, he was so good that his best friend and Defence Force teammate Pamphille and his wife Lydia gave their son his name and made him his God father.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) would like to introduce you to one of T&T's unsung heroes Mr. Kenwyn Cooper; and if you're wondering who his godson is, it's none other than current Stoke City star-forward Kenwyne Jones.

Kenwyn told Socawarriors.net, he christened Kenwyne as a child and after that he didn't see much of him, because they were both based in opposite sides of the Island.  In spite of this he feels a strong sense of pride for his godson and still follows the striker’s success.

Getting To Know Kenwyn

Kenwyn and I sat down on a chilly Friday night at my home in New York and got to know each other a little better.  Kenwyn told me that he wanted to finally meet "Flex" in person, one of the main men responsible for the Soca Warriors Online. The other of course is his longtime pal, Nigel Myers.

Cooper is also one of SWO biggest supporters and for your information he goes by the member name Coops (guys, cut him a break.).... He is also addicted to the website and does not miss a day away from it as many of the SWO diehards can relate.

Cooper, the most polite and friendly person you could meet, showed up at my door in his SUV after driving almost 9 hours from Virginia Beach to visit his wife, he took a detour to finally meet “yours truly”. Coops was so happy to meet me that he shook my hands at least three times and his eyes were glossy as to say he almost wanted to shed a tear or two He said: "Flex, I didn't realize you were so young. I was expecting someone much older." That made my day!  Yes, I am young and still look it, but I assumed the gloss in his eyes blinded him and he didn't notice the hidden gray hairs on my head. In any case, I was flattered. A few months ago in New York I also had the pleasure of meeting another SWO member, Weary1969. I wonder what she thought.... :-)

Getting to know Coop's.

In January 2010 Coops was hit by the most terrible news anyone could bear. After months of problems with his body mainly his bladder, Coops finally decided to make the trip to the doctor only to find out that he had a tumor in his bladder. To make matters worse the doctor informed him that the tumor was malignant. In other words he had cancer of the bladder.

Now only half the size he was, Coops is literally a moving hospital and basically lives on chemo and other cancer treatment devices.  You would think he would be down and out under such circumstances, but not Coops. He is full of life, happy as a puppy and is just enjoying his life to the fullest. If he hadn't told me he had been diagnosed with cancer, I would have never known.

His Career

It all started on the field for Kenwyn at a small club in Cocorite called Paragon FC before moving to Defence Force in the 1970's. He played there until the early 80’s. Defence Force as we all know were the top team in those days as they were frequent winners of the Semi-Professional League and to play for such a team at that time one had to be outstanding.

Cooper, who only wore the number 13 jersey, came up against many top players in the League. Two noteworthy players he rubbed shoulders with at times and came up against in the league are Leroy Spann and best friend Noel "Sammy" Llewellyn, both of whom played for Caroni and Essex respectively.

At Defence Force Cooper also played alongside Ron LaForest, Ron’s brother Lennox, Charlie Spooner, Milton Archibald (Warren Archibald's brother), Bert Neptune, Sam Phillip, Francis Furlonge, Grantley Maxwell, Arab Nelson, Kenny Joseph, Winston Phillips who by the way happens to be the brother of current TTFF Technical Director Lincoln Phillips. Winston is also known for his long throws and was part of the team that was robbed of glory in Haiti during the 1973 World Cup qualifiers. His throws caused the Haitian goalkeeper Henri Francillon and his defenders; Pierre Bayonne, Fritz Andre, Wilfried Louis and captain Wilner Nazaire all sorts of heartaches. I forgot to mentioned that T&T's Steve David finished the 1973 tournament in Haiti with 7 goals, 2 more than Haiti's Emmanuel Sanon.

At Army Kenwyn also played against many international opponents at CONCACAF level, and he remembers one in particular during encounters with Haiti's Violette FC. Coops said that Philippe Vorbe was the best midfielder he had ever witnessed and that he would put Latapy in the shade with his vision and ability to stay in one area and control the entire Haitian team. Coops also remembered how Vorbe played with his sock rolled down and no chine guards. Thank God Tobago-Born hard rocker defender Cyd Gray was still a toddler then.

His T&T Career

Born in Blanchissuese on September 26th, 1948 and grew up in San Juan Coops was neighbors with another T&T great Leopold Sookram. Sookram many know today as Bobby, the South born midfielder, and at that time he played for North Base team Maple and was based in San Juan. Coops reminded me that Bobby Sookram’s goal scoring average of above 45 goals per season and he scored a remarkable 110 goals for Maple in three years.

Kenwyn had such a fantastic season with Army that he was called up to represent Trinidad and Tobago’s senior team, though he was never entered into our database here at the SWO because of the lack of recorded information in those days and Coops never kept records himself. His best days in the Red, White and Black have gone unnoticed to this day.

Coops played for Trinidad and Tobago between 1974 to 1975, and played under coach Edgar Vidale. He played in such tournaments as the Pan American Games and the Olympic Qualifiers respectively. There were no restrictions when it came to Olympic football, and T&T fielded their senior team in the said tournament.  Maybe this was one of the reasons he's not on the SWO database as players who participated in those tournaments were not officially recorded in the history books of T&T football.

His time with T&T saw Coops rubbing shoulders with many great talents such as Earl Carter, Noel Llewellyn, Russell Tesheira, Buggy Haynes, Mike Grayson, Lawrence Rondon, Tom Phillips, Steve Khan, Sydney Augustine, Selwyn Murren (capt), Winston Phillips and Leon Carpette to name a few. Cooper was a hard working right-wing midfielder who had great pace and a powerful kick. His crossing ability would have left current Ipswich Town winger Carlos Edwards blushing. Unfortunately, for all his hard work the former John Donaldson student has one goal to show and that came against Suriname on April 26, 1976 in the Oval during an Olympic qualifier. He was proud of that goal and it showed as tears almost coming out of his eyes when he told me, the game ended 1-1, Coops with the equalizer. Coops also found that the Surinamese team was a force in those days and had a player called Edwin Schal who was a talent he adored dearly. Unfortunately, T&T paid the price and bowed out as the 1-1 draw wasn't enough, Suriname had won the first-leg 2-0 in Paramaribo on April 19th.

Coaching Career.

After his glory days as a player, Cooper took his success off the field when he coached San Juan Senior Comprehensive to the SSFL and InterCol East titles respectively in 1987. The team was captained by Louis Legendre and Robert Banfield and lost 1-0 to a Chris Brice own goal in the InterCol finals against Signal Hill who had stars Dwight Yorke and Colvin Hutchinson on their team. San Jan SC also placed 4th in the Big Four tournament.

Cooper was also a trainer for a national under 16 team which was packed with talent such as Russell Latapy, Clint Marcelle, Colin Rocke, Ansley Weeks and Ross Russell and played some role in developing these players. He mentioned that he was and still is shocked that Collin Rocke was never called up by Trinidad and Tobago senior team and that the midfielder was a more complete player than Latapy and Marcelle. Coops said “You could have put him anywhere on the field and when it came to dribbling he had the tools as well.”  Coops further added that Rocke, Marcelle and Latapy use to terrorize defences and they where the three top midfielders in the country at that time.

He took his career further when he coached ECM Motown in the Arthur Suite League (ASL) before being asked by then T&T head coach Everald "Gally" Cummings to coach a Trinidad and Tobago national senior B-Team.

That B-team was comprised of players who were some of the best the country had to offer, with the likes of Elliot Allen, Clint Marcelle, Garfield DeSilva, Timothy Haynes, Kelvin Jones, Dexter Lee, Ivan Sampson, Richard Chinapoo, Nevick DeNoon and Anthony Sherwood.

Both Cooper and his assistant in former St Benedicts College coach Jan Steadman took that T&T B-team to the 1989 Shell Cup final group stage before being dropped by Jack Warner. Coops and his entire team were disbanded by Warner because the players wanted the same treatment that Gally's Strike Squad (A-Team) were getting.

Despite some impressive results in the group stage (Zone A) here in Trinidad and Tobago, Coops disclosed that the TTFF blamed the 1-0 lost to Grenada as the excuse to dismantling the team. T&T were 11-0 winners over Aruba which was probably one of the biggest wins in the history of the tournament, a 3-1 win over French Guyana and Coops’ “Army” was also victorious over St Kitts (2-0). The already qualified T&T then finished the semi-final group with a 1-0 lost to none other than Grenada.

Everald Cummings then continue where Cooper left off and won its opener in the final group stage against host Barbados (3-0) but stumbled on it's way to the final as Guadeloupe had defeated T&T 2-0, then it was a 1-0 Barbados victory over Guadeloupe that got Gally's team into the final and T&T made no mistakes this time when they won 2-1 in the final against Grenada off a Dwight Yorke double to win the 1989 Caribbean Shell Cup. It was July 9th 1989, the Strike Squad created history, the team field players such as Marvin Faustin, Russell Latapy, Clayton Morris, Philbert Jones, Marlon Morris and Dwight Yorke became Caribbean champs for the first time, the Shell Cup was born.

The Caribbean Cup, known then as the Shell Cup, before becoming the Copa Caribe began in 1989. The Caribbean Cup is a tournament for the CFU currently contested biannually (in odd years). The Caribbean Cup is also a qualifier for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Coops further disclosed that while he was coach of the T&T team he had to work under very harsh and unprofessional conditions. He said the arrangements were very poor and there was always a rush to do things because decisions were made at the last minute. For example, he remember one moment before training was over everyone on the team was gathered together and were rushed off to Curacao for a tournament comprising of 3 teams and two games in two days. Fortunately T&T won the tournament, however, while on the airplane Coop's learned from reading the newspaper that his team was playing St Lucia the very next day. To make matters worse, he also learnt that half of his team was scheduled to fly off to Puerto Rico to join Gally's Strike Squad (A-Team) who was there for a training camp.  As a result of this Coops’ under strength T&T side lost 1-0 to St Lucia.

Coops Migrated

Shortly after, Cooper being disheartened by his experience coaching T&T left Trinidad and decided to try his luck in the United States. His first stop was New York where he stayed with close friend Charlie Spooner before jetting off to Philadelphia and finally settled in Virginia where he is now based. After all those years Coops has gotten over the Trini-tabancca and is happily living his life to the fullest.

Did You Know

It was all uphill for Cooper after he left T&T shores. He had his own coaching school in Virginia. It was called Cooper's Soccer World. He trained players, had training camps, team sessions and clinics. He was also the Technical Director for Norfolk United and Director of Coaching at United Soccer.

Kenwyn Cooper carries a number of awards and badges which includes; National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA Advanced Diploma), USSF National Youth License, FIFA Certified Solidarity coach (Trinidad and Tobago), Special Olympics (Caribbean Training school) and to top it off he was a 10-time Championship winner with Defence Force.

Now retired, Cooper enjoys watching the Trinidad and Tobago national teams, surfing the SWO and seeing his relatives play football. He is also a fond admirer and a relative of current under 17 women’s team striker Liana Hinds who rips up the net for T&T. You would remember her goal scoring exploits against Nigeria and Chile in T&T's historic 2010 Women’s U-17 World Cup appearance.

Kenwyn, 62, a father of three and happily married seemed to have strong genes when it comes to football. His daughter Tricia Cooper, 34, also donned the Red, White and Black and is retired as a player but is currently the assistant coach of Florida University Women's team.

The SWO family would like to extend heartwarming greetings to Mr Kenwyn Cooper and his family during this festive season and wish him a full and speedy recovery. Do what you can my friend and what you cannot do, let the Almighty do the rest.

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

So wait nah, Jack Warner should be called the banner !!!

He banning teams from donkey years now, what a shame, soon as players ask for better treatment or disagree, Jack ban them, is his way or the highway.

The funny thing is, 1973 is 38 years now and nothing has changed. !!!!

They say nothing last forever, it seems Jack might be a leprechaun then cause he have luck and fortune no one has.

Get well soon Coops.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2010, 08:47:12 AM »
Check this out www.coopssoccerworld.webs.com it's a website i had started before i got diagnosed with my illnes and had to put everything on hold.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »

It look gravelly no ass.

VB

VB

Merry Christmas VB and family.

If I recollect that was in 75. The PanAm was to be held in Sao Paulo, but the Brazil gov't say they  had a dengue fever issue(I stand to be corrected). I wanted to be on that team because Carter, Walkes, Grayson, Granville, Murrell from the 74 youth were drafted on that team. But I was not good enough. That is how it goes sometimes. But Mex. now has some of the best if not the best football facilities in the Panam area. Well after 2014 Brazil will have the best.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »

It look gravelly no ass.

VB

VB

Merry Christmas VB and family.

If I recollect that was in 75. The PanAm was to be held in Sao Paulo, but the Brazil gov't say they  had a dengue fever issue(I stand to be corrected). I wanted to be on that team because Carter, Walkes, Grayson, Granville, Murrell from the 74 youth were drafted on that team. But I was not good enough. That is how it goes sometimes. But Mex. now has some of the best if not the best football facilities in the Panam area. Well after 2014 Brazil will have the best.

Not necessarily true Deeks. I learn that over the years. Some times players just don't fit into the plans because you can only use so many players or certain qualities in certain positions. More a product of poor timing. A good example you and Coops will remember, is Campbell who played midfield wth Police. Nice player who seldom got called to T&T
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »
Mr Lincoln Phillips told me that this article touched him real deeply. He said "I am a very close friend to Coops,  We worked together in many areas of football in Trinidad and the US. I was the one who brought him to Virginia when I was coaching at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond Virginia.

I hooked him up with a private school which never won anything in their long history. Coops made the newspapers when the team beat up everybody and won the championship. After that Coops made his name in the area doing jobs, camps, etc.

He is not just a great coach but also a great friend and a gentleman. I am so glad the you gave him the recognition he so deserves. Great job Flex and rest assure that we will be staying in close check with Coops if and when he needs anything. Great job again Flex and get better my dear friend coops.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
Mr Lincoln Phillips told me that this article touched him real deeply. He said "I am a very close friend to Coops,  We worked together in many areas of football in Trinidad and the US. I was the one who brought him to Virginia when I was coaching at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond Virginia.

I hooked him up with a private school which never won anything in their long history. Coops made the newspapers when the team beat up everybody and won the championship. After that Coops made his name in the area doing jobs, camps, etc.

He is not just a great coach but also a great friend and a gentleman. I am so glad the you gave him the recognition he so deserves. Great job Flex and rest assure that we will be staying in close check with Coops if and when he needs anything. Great job again Flex and get better my dear friend coops.

Lincoln my dear friend,like all the other forumites who have contributed to this article,i want to say thanks for believing in me at a time when you did not even know me,i don't know what you saw or heard but you were there for me even to this day.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 07:40:48 PM »
I always knew there was a whole lot more going on with Coop's than he was letting on.  Like a man said, "class is class"  not unlike men like Warren Archibald and Bobby Sookram.  God bless, Coop's.  I really and truly wish you a succesful fight against your illness and a speedy recovery throughout. Even though I was too little to understand at the time, I can say that I have seen you play and I will treasure the opportunity to have done so.  :beermug: :beermug:  Nice job, Flex.  Rell nice job!!  :beermug: :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »

Well as u know Coop's, I never once came at u in any disrespectful way on dis forum and I always have much respect for u as a human being, and is not b cuz of your past title and who you know, cuz I do not know or even met u before. As a matter of fact, I suspected that you is or was a coach, just by the way you gave your opinion on dis forum. Supa might sound like gangster wid he crew etc, but I was well brought up in a christian home and I can sense class, when it there is class. I will keep repeating myself, by saying I never kissed up and will never kiss up to anyone here, but there is a small group of people that I have a lot of respect for as a human being and by the way they conduct themselves here. Well Coop's, you was and is still part of that elite group. All the best boss and nuff respect sir. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:19:05 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »
I guess some of you are surprised at Coops' accomplishments.

But for the longer members of the forum this should not be. He has dropped the odd hint and info here and there over the years but in a very modest fashion, ala SH.

VB

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
Cooper, do you remember these games ? I saw you played there, can you fill in/correct the blanks ?

Panamerican Games 1975 (Mexico) - Match Details T&T scored four goals, one each from Michael Grayson, Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Ron La Forest and Tom Phillips.

Mexico vs T&T

Mexico 6: José Gómez; Gabriel Márquez, Eduardo Rergis, Carlos García, Mario Carrillo; Ernesto De la Rosa, José Luis Caballero, Guillermo Cossío; Héctor Tapia (Rafael Toribio 64'), Víctor Rangel (Alberto Sandoval 90'), Hugo Sánchez.

Trinidad & Tobago 1: Earl Carter; Russell Tesheira, Selwyn Murren, Lawrence Rondon, Winston Phillips; Leon Carpette, Gordon Husbands, Michael Grayson; Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Kenwyn Cooper (?. Howell 78'), Ron Laforest.

USA vs T&T - Noel Llewellyn with the winner in the 60th (unofficial time).

USA 0: Kurt Kuykendall, Tino Domingues, George Chapla, Telmo Pires, Bruce Hudson, Glenn Myernick, Neil Cohen, Santiago Formoso, Dennis Wit, Len Salvemini (Pallo Garibay), Tim Hunter.

Trinidad & Tobago 1: Team ?

Argentina vs T&T

Argentina 5: Carlos Suárez, Luis Galván, Eduardo Marillack, Aldo Espinoza, Américo Gallego, Pablo de las Mercedes Cárdenas, Carlos Salinas, José Santiago Tello, Juan César Silva, Daniel Valencia, José Luis Ceballos.

Trinidad & Tobago 1: Devonish Paul; Russell Tesheira, Lawrence Rondon, Selwyn Murren, Winston Phillips, Kendall Walkes, Michael Grayson, Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Gordon Husbands, Tom Phillips, Ron LaForest.

Bolivia vs T&T

Bolivia 3: Peinado; Espíndola, Édgar Vaca, Martínez, Tomás Porcel; Sempertegui, Natalio Flores, Escobar; Camacho, Blanco, Maldonado.

Trinidad & Tobago 1: John Granville; Francis Furlonge, Selwyn Murren, Lawrence Rondon, Winston Phillips; Leon Carpette, Gordon Husbands, Kendall Walkes; Tom Phillips (Ron Laforest 46'), Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Steve Khan.

Brazil vs T&T

Brazil 7: Carlos Roberto Gallo, Mauro de Campos Júnior, Roberto Franqueira 'Tecão', Edino Nazareth Filho 'Edinho', Francisco Fraga da Silva 'Chico Fraga', Alberto Raimundo Marques 'Leguelé' (João Batista da Silva), Eudes Lacerda Medeiros, Rosemiro Corrêa de Souza, Erivélton Martins (Marcelo de Oliveira Santos), Cláudio Adalberto Adão, João José dos Santos.

Trinidad & Tobago 0: Devonish Paul; Russell Tesheira, Lawrence Rondon, Selwyn Murren, Francis Furlonge, Kendall Walkes, Gordon Husbands, Leon Carpette, Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Ron Laforest, Steve Khan.

ALSO....

Matches Coached by Kenwyn Cooper - click here - Fell free to let us know if you have more info on the games you coach. Like the line up and goal scorers.... etc....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:19:22 PM by Flex »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
Cooper, do you remember these games ? I saw you played there, can you fill in/correct the blanks ?

Panamerican Games 1975 (Mexico) - Match Details T&T scored four goals, one each from Michael Grayson, Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Ron La Forest and Tom Phillips.

Mexico vs T&T

Mexico 6: José Gómez; Gabriel Márquez, Eduardo Rergis, Carlos García, Mario Carrillo; Ernesto De la Rosa, José Luis Caballero, Guillermo Cossío; Héctor Tapia (Rafael Toribio 64'), Víctor Rangel (Alberto Sandoval 90'), Hugo Sánchez.

Trinidad & Tobago 1: Earl Carter; Russell Tesheira, Selwyn Murren, Lawrence Rondon, Winston Phillips; Leon Carpette, Gordon Husbands, Michael Grayson; Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Kenwyn Cooper (?. Howell 78'), Ron Laforest.

USA vs T&T - Noel Llewellyn with the winner in the 60th (unofficial time).

USA 0: Kurt Kuykendall, Tino Domingues, George Chapla, Telmo Pires, Bruce Hudson, Glenn Myernick, Neil Cohen, Santiago Formoso, Dennis Wit, Len Salvemini (Pallo Garibay), Tim Hunter.

Trinidad & Tobago 1: Team ?

Argentina vs T&T

Argentina 5: Carlos Suárez, Luis Galván, Eduardo Marillack, Aldo Espinoza, Américo Gallego, Pablo de las Mercedes Cárdenas, Carlos Salinas, José Santiago Tello, Juan César Silva, Daniel Valencia, José Luis Ceballos.

Trinidad & Tobago 1: Devonish Paul; Russell Tesheira, Lawrence Rondon, Selwyn Murren, Winston Phillips, Kendall Walkes, Michael Grayson, Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Gordon Husbands, Tom Phillips, Ron LaForest.

Bolivia vs T&T

Bolivia 3: Peinado; Espíndola, Édgar Vaca, Martínez, Tomás Porcel; Sempertegui, Natalio Flores, Escobar; Camacho, Blanco, Maldonado.

Trinidad & Tobago 1: John Granville; Francis Furlonge, Selwyn Murren, Lawrence Rondon, Winston Phillips; Leon Carpette, Gordon Husbands, Kendall Walkes; Tom Phillips (Ron Laforest 46'), Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Steve Khan.

Brazil vs T&T

Brazil 7: Carlos Roberto Gallo, Mauro de Campos Júnior, Roberto Franqueira 'Tecão', Edino Nazareth Filho 'Edinho', Francisco Fraga da Silva 'Chico Fraga', Alberto Raimundo Marques 'Leguelé' (João Batista da Silva), Eudes Lacerda Medeiros, Rosemiro Corrêa de Souza, Erivélton Martins (Marcelo de Oliveira Santos), Cláudio Adalberto Adão, João José dos Santos.

Trinidad & Tobago 0: Devonish Paul; Russell Tesheira, Lawrence Rondon, Selwyn Murren, Francis Furlonge, Kendall Walkes, Gordon Husbands, Leon Carpette, Noel 'Sammy' Llewellyn, Ron Laforest, Steve Khan.

ALSO....

Matches Coached by Kenwyn Cooper - click here - Fell free to let us know if you have more info on the games you coach. Like the line up and goal scorers.... etc....
        Flex i wish my memory was still that sharp,i was one that had a passion for keeping reports and newspaper clippings because i felt someday it might be usefull but over the years a lot gone missing,i had all the reports from Mexico but was in spanish and i still kept it,i'm so sorry today i don't have that part of our history to share with you all because it was never recorded in T&T history of Football,it have players there we don't know or heard about.
     As i said before i got injured in that fisrt game with Mexico and was replaced by Rudy Howell,i basically watched the rest of the tournament,it's was not like today where these guys get the necessary medical treatment,i had to wait until i got back home and use my soft candle,safron,ratchet etc etc 

1]; } ?>