April 25, 2024, 11:38:43 AM

Author Topic: Ferry from Toco (Trinidad) to Scarborough, Tobago COMING!!!!  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ferry from Toco (Trinidad) to Scarborough, Tobago COMING!!!!
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:22:34 AM »
Screw a bridge or tunnel.  Been calling for this for years.  It's faster, closer and less traffic and trouble having to go all the out the way to POS to go Tobago by boat.  IT would be even better to have a vehicle ferry, so you can drive to Toco then take an ONLY 30 minuteS ferry to the beaches and business in Tobago .
 :beermug:

By KARL E CUPID Tobago Bureau Wednesday, December 22 2010

A water taxi service between Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Scarborough, Tobago is to be introduced in January.

A dedicated water craft with a capacity for 150 passengers will be operated under the National Infrastructure Development Company Limited (NIDCO), chairman Dr Carson Charles said yesterday at the Scarborough port during an inspection of facilities for the service. The touring party included Tobago East MP/Tobago Development Minister Vernella Alleyne-Toppin and Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner.

Charles said a test run was recently conducted with favourable results and it was proposed the service should come on stream next month. He explained a water taxi would be outfitted to handle the turbulent seas between Trinidad and Tobago. Berthing facilities will be located at the western end of the Scarborough port. With respect to cost, Warner, during an impromptu press briefing, said the fare structure would be similar to that of the inter-island fast ferry service operated by the Port Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (PATT). Warner added the water taxi service would only serve to complement the regular fast ferry service. He said while he supported the water taxi service, his focus was the introduction of a 30-minute service between Scarborough and Toco. Warner acknowledged the importance of upgrade works on the road network of the Trinidad north-east coast to this service. “In Toco there is some work to be done, particularly on the road that leads to the berthing area and that will be done,” he assured.

“But I am saying to you that for a country, and I want to say it publicly, for a country that spends $578 million on a rapid rail study that is in a box, I don’t see if you have to spend $100 million to give Tobago and Trinidad more connections, that is money badly spent,” Warner added. He also lamented the poor state of the facilities at the Scarborough port, indicating his intention to draw it to the attention of PATT.

“I must tell you that I have to (prepare) a note to the Port Authority; I am not happy with what I have seen here, nothing has changed since I was here last,” said Warner. He noted there was no cover for passengers between the terminal building and the ferry.

Meanwhile, Chief Secretary of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Orville London said the inter-island ferry service should be improved first before the introduction of a water taxi facility.

“We would not be against anything that increases the traffic but before we do that we should see about the efficiency of the current service,” London said at the post-Executive Council media briefing.

He said the THA was not consulted about the water taxi proposal.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry from Toco (Trinidad) to Scarborough, Tobago COMING!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »
Good idea doh.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Before ah forget, ah went home last weekend and it was the first time checking in at the Port in Port of Spain with a vehicle was a painless process.  Ah eh know if this was Jack's idea from start to finish or was ah thing held over from Colm or the Port Management trying a thing but thank God.  Ah eh have to line up outdoors (sometimes in stormy weather) 5 am to check in with mih vehicle. Ah could go inside now.  Ah sure the Port staff must be happy too.  Mih first thoughts were thanks Jack.....(enough of that, back to regular programming now....  :devil: ;D)

As for this water taxi thing, mih first thought when I heard it on the radio yesterday was whether or not them thing built for the open sea....ah remember back in de 90's when dey bring a fast ferry that was taking 2 hours (or 2 1/2) and was the first time I see Ambulance used to park up waiting to take people off the boat cuz it couldn't handle the sea.  If its a similar type vessel I eh think I goh be taking that any time soon.....I'll see how it working first before I try it.  In any event I usually take my car so this vessel wouldn't be suitable for me....good idea in principle though....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »
depends on where you live... is about 2or 3 hrs plus from alot of places just to get to toco..lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
depends on where you live... is about 2or 3 hrs plus from alot of places just to get to toco..lol

It could be an opportunity to improve the roads to Toco or even construct a highway.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »

It could be an opportunity to improve the roads to Toco or even construct a highway.
yes i believe jack on his word that he going to fix the entire north coast to north east roads from blachisseuse to matelot , and salybia to toco.  good for the forever negelected community up there.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 02:10:41 PM »
... good for the forever negelected community up there.

And Jack's north coast investments.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
i wonder how this will affect the environment up there and the toco ppl way of life. More traffic could bring negatives as well as positives.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »
That was put on the table by the previous govt but shelved. I don't know why. But they better fix the roads. Arima to Grande and Grande to Toco. It go be a challenge to improve and widen the N. Coast road. But I almost sure jack and his friends have the properties all lined up. What about the tunnel?

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »
terrible news  :-\ Untouched pure toco .

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 06:20:15 PM »
Potential to increase tourism to Toco, North East and East coast as it would be easier for tourists already in Tobago to get across for a short visit.

Could work other way around too giving visitors the option of staying in either Trinidad's North East coast or Tobago as their base and having both places close by.

Imagine you could live in Toco and work in Tobago?   :o

We'll see how the craft handles the water.  That ever happened to the ferry that supposed to go up to Grenada and all the other islands?  New ferry service expected for eastern Caribbean

I think it operates between like Grenada and St Vincent but eh reach by us!

1]; } ?>