March 28, 2024, 02:25:24 AM

Author Topic: Marketing 101; SocaWarriors Kit  (Read 2216 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Marketing 101; SocaWarriors Kit
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »
Two weeks ago , while in Trinidad, I decided to take a drive down to Trinicity Mall to do some shopping. I checked in every sports store looking for SocaWarriors shirts etc... and to my chagrin, there was not one item to be found.

Instead one could find assorted  kits for European Clubs and countries and the odd Jamaican and Brazilian shirts.  while I accept the present state of our team, it still is a crying shame that the powers to be are still lapsing when it comes to promoting national pride, support and identification with our team.

What seems like a simple way to promote and to support the national teams are once more mired in some bureaucratic  maze of 'bobbal' according to the store managers I spoke to.

I am sure if I ask the question it would be a rhetorical one at that? Who has the rights for the production, marketing and distribution of SW kits to the stores?

Shame to those responsible for this!!!!!!!!! why is it our kits (men & women) cannot be featured in all stores?

Is the demand that low compared to some obscure Italian club?  what are the local pro league jerseys not on sale? Marketing , promotion are sadly lacking IMHO.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marketing 101; SocaWarriors Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
check Camps
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline rastarocket7

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:23:47 AM »
I had the same problem back in like 2002.. sad to see it hasnt changed.. smh

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 12:19:54 PM »
we still have the adidas contract or just wearing the jerseys we get in the past?

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
jack warner doh care bout no juzzy. if he did there will be

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 01:21:02 PM »
Yuh check francis or sports world?

Cause they still hanging up there...down to the old 06...yuh could get a Yorke or John for $100.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »
Yuh check francis or sports world?

Cause they still hanging up there...down to the old 06...yuh could get a Yorke or John for $100.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I heard that  one might find them in town and someone told me about Francis but that restricts what ought to be a public wide marketing of our national teams. Unless these sports stores have exclusive rights and  are controlled by ...well  I would just like to  see the availability of our national kits nation wide and in every little store much like I see the Mexican national kit in every little outback place I visit when I go to Mexico.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 01:40:13 PM »
We are not a footballing nation and our federation is inept...no surprises here

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »
AB,

Not to defend anybody but...

From my experience as a sales rep in a football store in the states...only certain stores have a license for selling certain lines of clothing.

e.g not any and every sports store in the states can sell nike...even if they do sell nike they may be restricted to certain colours and styles. This is based on stock turnover, size of store, marketing gimmick, location etc.

The same goes for adidas and this is why a store like Soccer Locker in FL will have a different line up to Say Stiker Soccer Supply in West Palm.

Now there was a point in time Francis stopped selling Nike in the 90's because they lost their licence. Then Superstar aka Sportsmaster came on board and started selling NIKE exclusively.

Francis has the official licence to sell Adidas in T+T and was the only legit available supplier of all TT shirts apart from the TTFF website when the shirts were released.

Most of the other adidas you seeing around town is a bootleg of some sort or they bring them in small quantities.

Maybe that's why nobody selling the kits...I not 100% sure but is a reason.

2) The next reason is that the kit ent mean shit to nobody...the new shirt has only been worn by LOSERS.
Yes is our national team kit and we should hold it in high regard, but that lil emotional value we placing on that worth only to us on this site.

3) If the side was winning in the kit and going places people woulda buy it.

4) The damn TTFF never properly had the senior team wear the new kit constantly. Imagine World cup qualifiers and friendlies in 2009 and 2010 and our senior team still playing in the 06 gear and national teams at different levels still playing in 06 gear....item and brand confusion.  If the players cyar operate in the current kit, how the fan supposed to know and support them and buy the correct one too.

5) The kit was expensive and didnt drop in price. In all big teams...once mid season reach and a year pass the kit does go down by a 20% then a 30% etc....not here is price in yuh tail.

6) The kit is not a fashion statement...yuh not getting no pips wearing dat in a party.

AB I understand where yuh coming from, but is business....why stock a jersey that not selling?

It have costs involved and it sad to say but the players who wearing the kit didn't help its cause one bit or do anything to increase demand...is the players fault.

If we had make the WC which was very doable....not fking up in the first game, beating Costa Rica in Tobago, Holding out for the draw in Mexico, Beating the USA down here, Beating Honduras down here...we coulda more than make it in 2 place.

But Latapy was doing he ting since den...yuh feel Wolfe at right back and Donovan skinning that out was Afro call.  ::)

I feel with all the shit we playing these days Adidas should lewwe go....we devaluing they brand and they uniform.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:58:20 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »

I feel with all the shit we playing these days Adidas should lewwe go....we devaluing they brand and they uniform.

:applause:

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »
Sports and Games sell Proleague juzzies
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dc68

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »
What Pro League shirts are available at Sports and Games? When I was down there earlier this year S&G didn't have any PL shirts and had no plans of getting any. Whenever I visit Trinidad (usually once a year) I try to get as many Pro League shirts as possible. Unfortunately this has always been quite a task and I mean a real task. Most of the local club shirts I have in my collection came directly from "aggressively contacting" players, coaches, club managers, kit managers, referees, or someone connected to the club.....not from the stores.

I believe one year I bought 3 shirts from S&G (Tobago United, Super Star Rangers, and Defense Force) when Lotto was the league's official sportswear and they were trying to market them. It has been very difficult at times trying to get these shirts and it is only after being persistant that I actually get them. But as a football shirt collector for over 17 years.....the journey is half the fun :-)

I also understand the reality of smaller footballing nations: their league shirts are just not marketable. Either there is not a great public demand for these club shirts (e.g., Republic of Georgia, Luxembourg, India, Trinidad, Jamaica, Cambodia, etc) or the shirts would be too expensive for the average fans (e.g., Bosnia, Belarus, Moldova, Ivory Coast, Vietnam, Bhutan, etc). These are probably the two major factors for clubs as well as sportwear companies (e.g., Nike, Adidas, etc) deciding whether or not to produce their official replica shirts.

In Trinidad it is no different. The local teams have to decide whether or not "it is feasible" to market their shirts.  And we know the answer to this....."no." But this can change in the future. Just look at the Australian A League. A League fans are buying and wearing the shirts. And collectors from all over the world are purchasing these shirts at high prices. Just goes to show you what can be done with a little marketing skill and single entity league mindset.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
i just run into the 2008/09 T&T adidas away jersey on sale for $40 US @ onionbag. size large only. link below.

http://bit.ly/f6u3vq

1]; } ?>