April 28, 2024, 04:35:36 AM

Author Topic: Snackette Sports  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Snackette Sports
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »
Forumites,

We had a small lime in the office for the season and amongst the beverages a number of games such as dominoes, cards, draughts, chess, scrabble etc came out.

It was amazing how the "younger generation" did not have a clue as to any of these games.

The only thing they coulda play was "all fours" and dey couldn't even set d pack good or count for game properly.

Nintendo really mess up the upcoming generation.

Imagine a youthman of about 19 tellin me he never hear bout "chikeepets" and never play scrabble. I say whey.

Also things that were traditional snackette sports such as pool, snooker, all fours and darts. Tournaments and playing of these games have fallen due to crime and the stigma attached to going to certain establishments.

Now I talking from a town perspective...maybe country youth know dese tings, but I feel we have to keep snackette sports alive and teach the young uns how to have good clean fun.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Snackette Sports
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:26:46 PM »
Forumites,

We had a small lime in the office for the season and amongst the beverages a number of games such as dominoes, cards, draughts, chess, scrabble etc came out.

It was amazing how the "younger generation" did not have a clue as to any of these games.

The only thing they coulda play was "all fours" and dey couldn't even set d pack good or count for game properly.

Nintendo really mess up the upcoming generation.

Imagine a youthman of about 19 tellin me he never hear bout "chikeepets" and never play scrabble. I say whey.

Also things that were traditional snackette sports such as pool, snooker, all fours and darts. Tournaments and playing of these games have fallen due to crime and the stigma attached to going to certain establishments.

Now I talking from a town perspective...maybe country youth know dese tings, but I feel we have to keep snackette sports alive and teach the young uns how to have good clean fun.

CO-SIGNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »
Looks like where the last great generation ,with any bit of class and culture anyway.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:40:19 AM by Quags »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
played dominoes till 3 am the other night after not playing for about 15 years. Nuff licks we ress dong. Have to go out and get a set to teach my daughters. That, draughts and all-fours was my ting self. My daughters can now hold their own in pool.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:54 PM »
played dominoes till 3 am the other night after not playing for about 15 years. Nuff licks we ress dong. Have to go out and get a set to teach my daughters. That, draughts and all-fours was my ting self. My daughters can now hold their own in pool.

My grandmother teach me 2 play cards. Is d parents that need 2 teach d chirren dem ting.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »
Ah 19 year old eh know bout Scrabble??!!   :o :o  No wonder is ah setta illiterates running bout the place!!  And yuh right Weary, if the parents buying the video games, wha dey expect??
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:32:30 AM »
Ah 19 year old eh know bout Scrabble??!!   :o :o  No wonder is ah setta illiterates running bout the place!!  And yuh right Weary, if the parents buying the video games, wha dey expect??

ENT I surprise he come out of d rock he was under 2 lime yuh eh hear bout SCRABBLE and yuh let people know.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 01:25:52 AM »
Town ppl don't play scrabble! dais country ppl ting who eh have nutten tuh do. ;D  seriously though, town ppl used to play a lot of sports (since we had ah big savannah right in we mids) and do the young boy ting like pitch marble spin top and fly kite, but all them snackette games is country ppl ting (which i'm sure could be a lot of fun), so of course the yuteman don't know it.

what we did play was all fours BC i remembered the tournament in every small snackette in the hood, and knock and hard rommy, but domminos, shickipets, scrabble and darts yuh rarely saw in town snacketts. hek, i don't even know how tuh play scrabble and i up in age.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:30:47 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »
my mother bought a compedium of games for mini-me for Christmas and taught her how to play draughts on Sunday. Last night, mini-me hold me to a draw in draughts! Me who was the queen of draughts! Huffing people knob and getting crowned quick. steupse. Smallie mash me up....and is to see she lil face concentrating...LOL

We having a rematch tonight...is war!

Not much for card games but I taught the children to play fish and go to pack.
Scrabble is my thing. All yuh remind me so I will haul out the box tonight too.
Hubby is a pool shark and taught me to play. I am not good but I feel he only teach me in order to look dong meh bodice.
 :devil:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 08:54:26 AM »
I would be lying If I tell allyuh I know how to play dominoes. I know how to play the others but not good at it. I decent at all fours. Not knowing how to play scrabble is an alien concept that is difficult for me to fathom.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »
Ludo (not sure if I have the correct name) was ah big board game in my time as well. 4 players, 4 colours and dice. Have to make you way home with your 4 knobs.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »
Ludo, snakes and ladders and monopoly was staples long time.

Chinese Checkers....dat was a game I was boss at and funny yuh doh see dat so again.

When I was in meh teens...games like connect 4 and jenga came out but I wasn't into dat.

In UWI we used to play jenga fuh shot of rum...after a few, it used to be pressah.

But Monopoly was and still is d biggest board game of all time.

Honestly I find pool to be a good game, I used to play snooker and billards too, but I could understand why it not popular as the only place publicly to play these games is some real ole hangout with seedy characters. it understandable why youths are discouraged.

Scrabble should be mandatory in primary schools...in fact it should be a teaching aid.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:37:47 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
there used to be a couple nice pool halls in Toronto but they either vanished or became dungeons for icky people. Don't know why that is.
Love me some Monopoly, Chinese Checkers, Ludo and Snakes & Ladders. Learned Backgammon but really awful at it. Chess is great but I can't seem to get a few hours to play a serious game. I suck at Dominoes.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 10:34:25 AM »
Ludo (not sure if I have the correct name) was ah big board game in my time as well. 4 players, 4 colours and dice. Have to make you way home with your 4 knobs.

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNN

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
My mother get mih sick ah All Fours... dat 'oman used to force we to play with she, and den have de nerve to be tiefin' we on top ah dat... steups.

Den scrabble became she ting... know what, now that ah think about it, ah going by she fuh New Years and is about 20 yrs since we last really play, ah go surprise she by taking mih scrabble board over with mih.  She go real like dat.

Some other good name call... Go To Pack, cyah remember how to play, same fuh Romey

Ludo, Snakes and Ladders, UNO, Chinese Checkers, Checkers (Draughts), Chess, Dominoes, Monopoly of course.  I used to kill at Pool, could put all kinda english, draw and follow on the cue ball.  But ah rusty from lack ah practice now.

EDIT:  Not really parlour games, but if yuh really want to take it back leh we throw een marbles, jax, hopscotch, moral and scooch while we at it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:00:28 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
gin rummy, all fours and bloody knuckles was some good card games. also crazy eights and euchre (dat is for real canadians ;) ).

ah surprised people eh playing scrabble no more. chinese checkers was a cool game. ah never played draughts which have an extra row from checkers ent? plenty chess - dat was de game in middle school. even played chinese chess.

around high school de board games change up. risk, axis and allies, etc..

dey have nuff board games these days. now is settlers (there is a ps3 version of this game that real boss), puerto rico, etc..

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »
I really got exposed to board games through my neighbours at the time in the 80's.  Dem had EVERY damn game yuh could think of.  Then there was a girl in school who had a setta games too.  Ah remember she bring one ah time named "Battleship".  Yuh had to position yuh ships on the board and guess where yuh opponent's ship was and try to sink dem.  aaaahhhhh de memories, good times.

Jah Gol boy, I still cyar get over ah 19 year old eh know bout Scrabble.  That is one of the best ways to improve yuh spelling and thing.....is a damn shame!!!  Imagine dem is the future.....lawd ah hope it not as bleak as it looking or by that time I dead...... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 07:58:18 AM »
the future is now.
I deal with professors and grad students on a daily basis...EEF you see spelling!! It en have nuff scrablle to help dem.
One time a psych prof call me...I answer de phone in meh bess Holy Name Convent accent. All I hear was "So like I need to like talk to you like about like this stuff...."
meh two eye glaze over....like...

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 08:15:17 AM »
the future is now.
I deal with professors and grad students on a daily basis...EEF you see spelling!! It en have nuff scrablle to help dem.
One time a psych prof call me...I answer de phone in meh bess Holy Name Convent accent. All I hear was "So like I need to like talk to you like about like this stuff...."
meh two eye glaze over....like...

That is a serious thing. You wonder how dey even get a degree and these people are journalists and professors.

Gone are the days of penmanship, student's companion and first-aid in English.....
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »
I can't tell you how it bothers me but I feel like I'm spitting in the sea when I talk about it. I already have a rep for being persnickety.
I admit my tone became disapproving while talking to this prof and to give her credit, she noticed...lol
But no man...you teaching?? And saying LIKE as if it was a punctuation mark?
NAH!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 09:16:24 AM »
Fuh years now ah have some cousins in Barataria askin meh moms to buy dem PS3 and all kinda jazz, we send dem a scrabble set a few xmas' ago instead.  Ah brederin ah mind use to say in time to come de nex generation will devolve to have big eyes and big fingers from all dis addiction to de tube
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
Fuh years now ah have some cousins in Barataria askin meh moms to buy dem PS3 and all kinda jazz, we send dem a scrabble set a few xmas' ago instead.  Ah brederin ah mind use to say in time to come de nex generation will devolve to have big eyes and big fingers from all dis addiction to de tube

I like yuh moms smart lady.

1]; } ?>