April 25, 2024, 08:35:49 AM

Author Topic: Fines for cell phone-using motorists set to begin  (Read 4444 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fines for cell phone-using motorists set to begin
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »
I use handsfree.  I doh drive with my both hands on the wheel all the time BUT try holding a cell phone and navigating them hairpin turns to go een Santa Cruz and back from the Maraval side.  Pressure!!!

Overall however, holding that thing in your hand is an unnecessary risk.  The worst part is the ones who try to text/bbm while driving.  To me using the handsfree is just like having someone in the car with you and having the conversation with them.  Then again I have also completed a defensive driving course which helps as well.  I support the initiative but nobody eh going and take it on whether they ban it, implement handsfree only or leave it just so.  Dais just how we is.....*sigh*

hmmmmm.....think about those ppl who driving manual transmission and coming round dem bends holding a cell phone.

even though u hands free, u ever get caught up in a conversation so much so that sometimes u reach u destination without realizing it?

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 10:12:55 PM »
I use handsfree.  I doh drive with my both hands on the wheel all the time BUT try holding a cell phone and navigating them hairpin turns to go een Santa Cruz and back from the Maraval side.  Pressure!!!

Overall however, holding that thing in your hand is an unnecessary risk.  The worst part is the ones who try to text/bbm while driving.  To me using the handsfree is just like having someone in the car with you and having the conversation with them.  Then again I have also completed a defensive driving course which helps as well.  I support the initiative but nobody eh going and take it on whether they ban it, implement handsfree only or leave it just so.  Dais just how we is.....*sigh*

hmmmmm.....think about those ppl who driving manual transmission and coming round dem bends holding a cell phone.

even though u hands free, u ever get caught up in a conversation so much so that sometimes u reach u destination without realizing it?

EXACTLYYYYYYYY
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 05:17:16 AM »

uuuuummmm no.  When ah reach ah either switch to handset or end the conversation..... :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »

uuuuummmm no.  When ah reach ah either switch to handset or end the conversation..... :-\

I not talking about passing your destination, i meant that sometimes u driving and talking on the phone and you swing into your yard and park up, but when you check back, yuh not really sure how u got there.  :-\.
It comes like your driving subconsciously. ....and daiz the problem with talking on the phone hands free or not. I guess that does only happen to me yes.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »
On the one hand I support the idea behind the ban. We have a problem on the roads and things must be done to solve these problems. However, I think that this is not addressing the main issues behind the problems on the road. Bad drives happen without people being on phones at all plus people get distracted by their children acting up, while changing radio stations or eating/drinking (non-alcoholic) while driving to name a few. We have a general culture of lawlessness and recklessness on the roads and a problem with a lack of enforcement and follow up to enforcement.

How often have we seen people ignore stop signs (the one by the northern end of Cipriani Blvd leading to the savannah comes to mind), pedestrian crossings, lane markings, traffic lights or the speed limit? We want to come last but go first, my business alone is important so the other people patiently waiting in traffic can wait and we don't like to leave room for driving error or car failure. Taxi/maxi/PH drivers "hustlin" for an "honest dollar" so it's okay for them to ignore road rules. The amber light means speed up, even if you won't reach the intersection before the light goes red and then stop at the next light 300m up the road gaining nothing but risking a lot.

Law enforcement is almost non-existent. Except for maybe 1-2 days/month we never see police preventing or penalising illegal activity and how many people when pulled over abuse the officer for not preventing "real crime"? How many of us know people with unpaid tickets who have no intention of paying them and no concerns about being made to pay? I know of a guy who has over 30 parking tickets and 2-3 moving violations and he’s paid none and intends to pay none.

We still teach drivers to drive on some archaic ineffective system that basically gives them no road skill or awareness so they are forced to learn when they actually start driving and obviously will conform to the madness on the road. We pass regulations not by learning them, but by studying a booklet that teaches you how to pass the exam.

My long ramble on the soap box has finally meandered to a concluding point. The cell phone restriction has its merits, but by itself will not solve the problems on the roads of T&T.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 12:54:47 PM »
I think the naysayers and pessimists... however allyuh want to classify allyuhself, missing the point.  The goal of the regulation isn't to eliminate all distractions in one fell swoop, but to reduce them.  This by itself will never be a fool proof mechanism for solving the ills that plague driving in TnT, but you have to start somewhere.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »

I not talking about passing your destination, i meant that sometimes u driving and talking on the phone and you swing into your yard and park up, but when you check back, yuh not really sure how u got there.  :-\.
It comes like your driving subconsciously. ....and daiz the problem with talking on the phone hands free or not. I guess that does only happen to me yes.

tell yuh madam stop talkin slackness in yuh ears when yuh drivin and yuh go concentrate better
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

AirMan

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
This law is triggered to help reduce accidents, not stop all accidents. Cell phones are not the reason for all accidents..

1]; } ?>