12 (15.8%)
Anil Roberts
59 (77.6%)
Roger Boynes
5 (6.6%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: De Minister of Sport doing everything but Sports !!!!  (Read 91408 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: De Minister of Sport doing everything but Sports !!!!
« Reply #240 on: May 24, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
Maxg and Swimma will he be allowed back at swim meets as Bovell coach?
I think that would be up to Bovell. Especially as no charges has been laid. Bovell probably know the nature of the beast long time. Sounds like "plenty pardners " do. Is The swimmer getting  tested, not the coach.
[/quote

Thanks y I asked is that when CJ Hunter had tested positive he lost his credentials. I know d good Minister eh test positive 4 nutten but a picture is worth a 1000 words.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 24, 2014, 01:00:01 PM »
Michael Phelps?!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 24, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
Cecil Russell

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #243 on: May 25, 2014, 05:56:11 AM »
PM takes Life Sport from Anil
...places it under National Security Ministry
By RENUKA SINGH (Guardian)

Embattled Sport Minister Anil Roberts received another blow yesterday as Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced that she was removing the controversial multimillion-dollar Life Sport programme from under his ministry. Persad-Bissessar, speaking at the People’s Partnership four-year anniversary rally at Mid Centre Mall, Chaguanas, first defended Roberts, then dealt the new blow. Life Sport will know be placed under the National Security Ministry.

Persad-Bissessar said she would only make a decision on Roberts’ political future with the party after carefully examining the existing evidence. “A decision must be made in the national interest, I will make it without fear and without favour,” she said. “But even as I am looking at this, I find it very, very strange, they say passing strange that this was a video over a year and a half ago. The PNM was saying that they had this video and they talking about it a year and a half ago.

“A year later, one day before a protest march that’s intended to shut down the country, one day before, the story comes up on your screens.” Roberts is currently facing public scrutiny after a video surfaced which showed a man, looking and sounding like the minister, in the company of two women making what appeared to be a marijuana cigarette. Even after coming out in defence of the video, however, Persad-Bissessar said she would remove the controversial multimillion-dollar Life Sport programme from under Roberts’ ministry.

Roberts is facing questions over misspending under the Life Sport programme and concerns that it is being used to fund the criminal element. Persad-Bissessar, speaking at the heavily-attended event, bashed Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley and showed video clips of interviews with former Port-of-Spain mayor Louis Lee Sing and PNM member Danny Montano who both spoke disparagingly of Rowley.

She said she had no plans of following in former prime minister Patrick Manning’s footsteps and would not be calling a snap election. “He expects an election sooner rather than later. Mr Rowley, I serve notice on you tonight, if you think I foolish like the PNM to call an election before time...I serve notice, I am not taking any basket, no election before they are due. No basket, none!”

She also played a clip of Rowley himself, where he described a group of fighting school girls as a “pack of hyenas,” saying that no one in her Government would ever speak of students in those terms.

Speaking under the banner Continuing the Road to National Recovery, Persad-Bissessar outlined several accomplishments and said she was committed to seeing the highway to Point Fortin constructed. She also highlighted increased vehicles for the police service, CCTV cameras, and improvements to the health sector, including longer opening hours at several clinics.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 25, 2014, 06:20:45 AM »
Funny thing about this, I support Kamla about this snap election bull. fullfiil your friggin full term. Dotish Patos!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 25, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »
Persad-Bissessar said she would only make a decision on Roberts’ political future with the party after carefully examining the existing evidence. “A decision must be made in the national interest, I will make it without fear and without favour,” she said. “But even as I am looking at this, I find it very, very strange, they say passing strange that this was a video over a year and a half ago. The PNM was saying that they had this video and they talking about it a year and a half ago.

The timing of the video's formal release via a licensed media broadcaster might occupy the attention of passing observers. However, the timing itself should be irrelevant to the PM's decision with respect to how to treat the content. From the PM's perspective, the timing of release fairly might hold considerations of political weight, but the video itself ought to preoccupy substantive decisions in response (for e.g., the Life Sport portfolio decision), not the actual timing of release. Her response diminishes the treatment of the situation.

Aside from that, she seems to be taking the public position that she was previously unaware of the video during its circulation since its informal release into the public domain over a year ago. It's an incredulous position for several reasons. Messrs. Rowley, al-Rawi et al should pound away at those items that render her position incredulous. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:57:54 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2014, 06:21:08 AM »
IT’S A BLESSING
Sport Minister welcomes probe into LifeSport Fund
By Carolyn Kissoon (Express).

THE decision by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to remove the multi-million-dollar LifeSport programme from the Ministry of Sport is a blessing, Sport Minister Anil Roberts said yesterday.

Roberts said he endorsed the move of the Prime Minister and believes the programme he established two years ago had simply graduated.

Speaking with members of the media following a topping-off ceremony at the National Velodrome Project in Couva, Roberts said Persad-Bissessar consulted with him before moving the programme to the Ministry of National Security.

“I endorse the move by the Prime Minister. She consulted with me and I am totally happy. I believe my programme has graduated. It is an absolutely perfect fit. The LifeSport programme was a brainchild of Anil. It was born from the desire to help young black boys come off the streets, come off the crime and stop killing themselves. It is for those who were not academically inclined.

“Those who did not fall into the vocational programmes, those who didn’t want to do manual labour in URP and CEPEP. The LifeSport programme was engendered to encourage their participation through the beauty of sport, the passion of sport,” he said.

Roberts said participants in the programme received a stipend to change their lifestyle.

He said over the past two years the LifeSport programme recorded many successes.

“It has moved from a small programme in ten communities, now it is in 40 communities with 21 more communities waiting for it. The LifeSport programme is an anti-crime initiative and it is indeed a pleasure and privilege that the Prime Minister has moved the LifeSport programme into the Ministry of National Security where there are greater avenues for organisational structure for the programme to blossom, bloom and move forward. It is a perfect fit,” he said.

Roberts said already 120 participants have moved on to different levels of tertiary education, including the Christian International Academy in New York.

Asked if he was concerned that more programmes would be removed from his ministry, Roberts said, “The scrutiny is very good...once you are involved in public funds and programmes scrutiny is fantastic. There is a probe from the Ministry of Finance. I welcome the probe. This is what it is about...nothing is wrong with a probe.”

And although he spoke at length on the successes of the LifeSport programme, Roberts dismissed questions regarding a video showing a man resembling a Government Minister partying with ganja and women first shown by TV6 and now circulating on social media.

Instead, Roberts raised questions about People’s National Movement (PNM) political leader Dr Keith Rowley and the party’s public relations officer Faris Al-Rawi.

Roberts questioned Al-Rawi’s plans to finance his campaign in the San Fernando West constituency in the next general election. And he asked whether Al-Rawi’s family was willing to return taxpayers’ money they received as rental for property under the PNM.

He also asked whether Rowley was prepared to answer allegations made against him back in Tobago in 1969, adding that when Rowley is ready to take a DNA “paternity test” he (Roberts) would take a drug test.

“The video is in the hands of the lawyers. I will not be distracted by video, music video or voodoo. We are heading into election year and I will not be distracted by anything,” he said yesterday.

Roberts said he would be willing to answer all questions and undergo a drug test in full view of the media, if Rowley stood next to him and answered the allegations made against him.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2014, 01:51:26 AM »
Senior COP execs meet Roberts today as...Ganja video under scrutiny
By Yvonne Webb (Guardian).

Sports Minister Anil Roberts will go before a committee of senior members of the Congress of the People (COP) this morning as investigations begin into the controversial video which shows a person resembling and sounding like a government minister rolling a marijuana cigarette in a hotel room with two women begins.

Party chairman Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan yesterday confirmed an announcement by political leader Prakash Ramadhar that she and deputy political leader Dr Anirudh Mahabir had been mandated to conduct an investigation and make recommendations to the party. She also confirmed the meeting with Roberts is scheduled for 8.30 am but did not want to give the venue.

She said she expected the meeting would allow Roberts, who has neither confirmed nor denied he is the person in the video, an opportunity to be heard in accordance with the principles of natural justice. “We may have a discussion with him and find out from the others what they want to do but to me it is a very straightforward issue,” Seepersad-Bachan said.

General secretary Clyde Weatherhead said on Tuesday that Roberts had indicated his willingness to meet with party officials and requested that he (Roberts) be present when they view the video. Speaking on CNC3 Morning Brew yesterday, Ramadhar said the fact that Roberts was being investigated by the party to which he belonged showed that its doctrine of accountability was still being upheld. Like Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Ramadhar chose to keep a still tongue until the matter was thoroughly investigated.

“I have to keep that level of presumption of innocence in my mind, first and foremost, but this is politics, so when the party makes its findings we will act upon those. I don’t want to pre-empt anything, to influence anything one way or the other,” Ramadhar, who is also Legal Affairs Minister, said. However, he assured that if the findings of the two investigations contradict each other, they would deal with that accordingly but he vowed that no member of his party would be let off easily for misconduct.

He said the COP’s principles of accountability would not be cast aside, regardless of who was being investigated. “Whenever anyone falls short the COP will say ‘we are sorry, nothing personal, but it is about the future of this nation we must build,’” he added. The fact that the video bears no time or date has also fuelled speculation about its age. However, BC Pires, editor of the Cre Ole magazine, an edition of which is seen in the video, has sought to shed some light on the timeline.

In a letter to the editor yesterday, Pires wrote: “Because the time of filming of the alleged illegal activities of a government minister in a hotel room has been questioned, I write to state that the incident could not have taken place before January 2012. Unless there has been some extraordinarily good manipulation of the images.

“I am the editor of an annual magazine, Cre Ole - The Guide to Dining in Trinidad and Tobago. The 2012 edition was published in late December of 2011, effectively January 2012. I have looked at the video and can state firmly that the magazine on which the substance in the video footage was packaged was the 2012 issue of Cre Ole. “Another copy of the same magazine is also in plain view on the video. The magazine publisher also recognises the magazine.

“However, useful or helpful it might be to anyone, it is simply untrue to say the events took place before 2012.”

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2014, 06:12:29 AM »
“I am the editor of an annual magazine, Cre Ole - The Guide to Dining in Trinidad and Tobago. The 2012 edition was published in late December of 2011, effectively January 2012. I have looked at the video and can state firmly that the magazine on which the substance in the video footage was packaged was the 2012 issue of Cre Ole. “Another copy of the same magazine is also in plain view on the video. The magazine publisher also recognises the magazine.

“However, useful or helpful it might be to anyone, it is simply untrue to say the events took place before 2012.”

well look ting :D :-\
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2014, 06:20:11 AM »
Anil Roberts – “Weed Video” – Cyber Forensic Analysis, the true details about the video
caribbeancacique.com

As it was reported in local and social media, there is a viral video of a local Trinidad & Tobago government minister smoking marijuana. A full analysis of this youtube video was carried out to ascertain when, how and why was this video recorded and to validate it’s authenticity. A forensic analyst from caribbeancacique.com carefully scrutinised every second of this video in question, and has compiled the following unbiased report.

The Video was recorded on a mobile device, using a low quality megapixel camera, which suggests that this would have been an older model of the phones now available to the public in 2014. This alone will help to identify that the video would have been older than the published date. In the video, we can clearly see someone a man in the company of two women, one of  the women whom is shooting the video from her mobile device and another who is engaged in conversation with a man in a red shirt, when the women speak, a distinct accent can be recognised which suggest hints of a “british-afro caribbean” accent, possibly someone with roots in the UK, or a Trinidadian living in the UK. This coincides with the conversation in the recorded clip, about rolling a joint of marijuana, like the british, and the reference from the man in the red shirt to him being an “English Boy”.

Analysis of the video reveals that the person identified in the red shirt using, facial recognition comparison software, as being Sporting Minister Anil Roberts, and he can be seen wearing what has been identified as the official 2012 Olympic shirt for the Trinidad and Tobago team, which was worn during the events held in London during the 2012 Olympic games. This shirt and it’s logo was used as the official uniform at the London games, and this now coincides with the conversation of “rolling the joint like an english boy”.

Further analysis was given to the keys labelled 201, and this has revealed that these were identical to the keys used at the hotel that housed the athletes during the Olympic games. One question in mind is : Where in Trinidad would you find a hotel with room number 201? other than Hyatt, or another big hotel chain. This artefact also helps to identify that the video was not filmed in Trinidad, and the hotel room 201 in question could possibly be the hotel that the Sporting Minister used to house the olympians, and would have also stayed at himself during the olympic games.

A final assumption of this video, including the conversation and the detailed finding can only conclude that: the Sporting Minister, had engaged in these activities whilst he was in London during the 2012 Olympic Games. This is one of the many scenarios that I have come up with, to bring clarity to the event as it was publicised in the local media. This may not be true or correct, as only the Minister himself knows the details of the event itself, and only he can answer the questions posed by the public.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 29, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
It doesn't matter when or where the alleged activities were conducted.  Yes, it may be more egregious if the conduct took place during his term in office, but assuming it happened before, it would still disqualify him from serving in a ministerial capacity.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 29, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
Agree with Bakes, no matter what our personal opinions about marijuana, or political agendas, it matters not. Anil Roberts should be relieved of his duties immediately.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
So is Gary Hunt still worst than Anil Roberts?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #253 on: May 30, 2014, 01:47:58 AM »
ANIL BLOCKS COP
By Anna Ramdass (Express).

Sport Minister Anil Roberts has effectively blocked the Congress of the People (COP) from investigating a “ganja video” showing a man resembling a Government minister rolling a joint.

The minister opted not to speak on the issue when he appeared before COP officials at the COP’s Flagship House headquarters in St Clair, making it clear the matter was in the hands of his attorneys.

TV6 News last Wednesday aired a video clip which showed an individual resembling a Government minister and sounding like him unwrapping a cigarette, placing a quantity of marijuana inside the cigarette skin, and then rolling it back together, all in the presence of a group of people,mainly comprising women, in what looked like a hotel room with the number 201.

Roberts has not confirmed or denied he is the man in the video.

He has instead attacked Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley, saying no voodoo and Opposition politics will stop him from perfor­ming his duties.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, at the United National Congress’s (UNC) fourth anniversary celebrations at Mid Centre Mall in Chaguanas last Saturday, said the video was in the public domain a year ago and conveniently reappeared on the news headlines on the eve of the Joint Trade Union Movement (JTUM) and Opposition march against the Government last week.

However, she assured all alle­gations of wrongdoing will be looked into.

The COP, of which Roberts is a member, appointed a commit­tee comprising COP chairman Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan, Clyde Weatherhead, Ann Mac Philip and Dr Anirudh Mahabir to investigate the matter.

Roberts met with the committee yesterday at the COP’s flagship house but opted to exercise his right to silence.

Questioned following the meeting, Roberts said he met with his party members to plan election strategy.

“Meeting with my party to determine the way forward to election 2015 to ensure that Keith Row­ley never becomes prime min-­is­ter,” he said.

Asked if he was still a COP member, he responded, “Of course!” before jumping into his vehicle and being driven away.

Seepersad-Bachan however told the media Roberts indicated he was not willing to speak. She expressed disappointment at his move, saying the matter has been too long in the public domain.

“It was a meeting where we wanted certain clarifications...but he has indicated to us that he is not willing to comment, that the matter is in the hands of his lawyers and he will be adding no further comment, so we really did not get any further information,” she said.

“May I also say that I am not very satisfied with that position either that we have not been able to resolve this matter,” she added.

Meanwhile, Mahabir said no one has come out and actually made an allegation saying it was Roberts in the video and “one wonders what is he to answer”.

However, he noted the matter has gripped public attention.

“I think at the end of the day, as public figures, we have to be transparent and accountable, and we have an obligation to put these matters to a rest; this is going on too long in the public domain in my view,” said Seepersad-Bachan.

COP political leader Prakash Ramadhar, in a brief interview with the Express yesterday, said he did not attend the meeting but received a preliminary report from committee members.

Ramadhar said he cannot divulge any details but stressed the COP has to act within the confines of the party’s constitution, and the executive will soon meet to look at how it will proceed on the way forward.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #254 on: June 01, 2014, 05:05:54 AM »
Former director: This is the third audit for Life Sport programme
By RENUKA SINGH (Guardian)

The multi-million dollar Life Sport programme has been suspended pending the outcome of the audit by Finance Minister Larry Howai. The Sunday Guardian learned that the programme has been placed in suspension mode as the investigation by Howai’s team progresses to the second stage: interviewing people affiliated with the programme.

The programme, according to the government Web site, was the brainchild of Sport Minister Anil Roberts and was seen as a way to use sports to help youths between 18 and 25 who live in at-risk communities. The fall out from the suspension and investigation means no money can be paid out to those participants until after the audit is completed. At its inception, the prgramme catered for 60 participants in each of the 33 areas earmarked for the programme. Each participant received a stipend of $1,500 per month.

When the programme first received government approval in 2012, it was allocated $6.6 million which was increased by $23 million one year later. By 2014, the programme allocation had shot up to over $113 million. The Sunday Guardian has learned that the Life Sport programme has been audited twice before this most recent audit ordered by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, but was never suspended since its inception back in 2012.

The controversial programme has already been investigated twice by the same Central Audit Unit (CAU), the financial investigative unit under the Ministry of Finance which is undertaking this third audit. Former Life Sport director Henry Charles, in an interview with the Sunday Guardian, revealed that he left back in February because of the “inconsistencies” during his short tenure. “I just decided to call it quits,” Charles said.

When pressed further, Charles said he was “not surprised” by what has surfaced with regards to improper spending under the programme. “I was there for a year, and I am in no way surprised by what I am seeing now.” Charles said during that one-year stint, he met with CAU investigators twice and was willing to meet with them again in order to facilitate this third audit. “I spoke with them before, gave them all the information I had during the first two audits,” he said.

But even with Charles’ revelations, checks by the Sunday Guardian show, the programme continued running before, during and after those audits. The Sunday Guardian texted the Prime Minister to ascertain whether she was aware of the two previous audits but received no response. Howai and National Security Minister Gary Griffith were also texted and e-mailed with the new information, but gave no response.

Howai team combs through books, documents from the programme
In keeping with Persad-Bissessar’s call last week Saturday for a financial audit of the programme, Howai yesterday said his ministry had already commandeered most of the documents and financial books relating to the programme. In response to an e-mail earlier yesterday, Howai said that the financial investigators at his ministry have already gathered relevant documents and financial books from the Ministry of Sport and have begun combing through them.

“The audit has just commenced, and the officers are still in the process of collecting information.” The second phase of the audit process, the interviews, are expected to start within the next week, the Sunday Guardian learned. Howai confirmed that “other various officers and participants in the programme” will be interviewed “after they (officers) have completed their initial data collection.”

Chief among the interviewees, the Sunday Guardian learned, is Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Sport, Ashwin Creed, who has only just returned to T&T after a prolonged absence. Though Creed did not respond to several calls and texts to his mobile phone, the Sunday Guardian has learned that he is expected to be interviewed next week.

The Sunday Guardian learned that Creed, as permanent secretary, is also the accounting officer for the ministry and as such has become central to unravelling the disbursement of millions of dollars by the Life Sport Programme, which initially fell under the remit of the Ministry of Sport. The programme has since been reallocated to the Ministry of National Security.

Last Saturday, at the People’s Partnership fourth anniversary rally, Persad-Bissessar announced that the Life Sport Programme would be handed over to the National Security Minister, but Griffith will not be able to take over the programme until Howai’s audit is completed. Griffith had originally announced that he planned to utilise military personnel to supervise the programme to ensure any criminal element is rooted out, but all plans are currently on hold.

In a telephone interview on Wednesday, Griffith said that “raw data” gathered so far, however, showed that “intimidation tactics” were used to bully the people involved in the programme. “But further investigation is needed to confirm that,” Griffith said. “The Life Sport Programme is an ideal tool to reach the at-risk youths, and it will not and should not be subjected to any criminal act,” he said.

Creed back home
Permanent Secretary to the Prime Minister and head of the Public Service, Reynold Cooper, yesterday confirmed that Creed was back in the country. In a brief telephone interview, Cooper said that Creed was on “vacation leave.” “He is allowed 35 working days, and he was on vacation leave,” Cooper said.

Just last week, however, Cooper gave a different reason for Creed’s prolonged absence. In that report, Cooper was quoted as saying that Creed sought emergency leave from April 14 to 22. Cooper said then that Creed spoke to him on the phone, and he did not get the impression Creed was “fleeing for his life.” Cooper admitted that Creed gave no reason for seeking the emergency leave.

According to that report, Cooper said that Creed had told him his leave was due to “family business,” then Creed returned to T&T and later went to China from April 28 to 30, on official business, to sign a memorandum of agreement on coaching and other assistance T&T was sourcing from China. He then took ordinary vacation leave from May 15 to 23.

Last month, speaking at a community meeting, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley revealed that one permanent secretary was forced to flee the country because of threats from criminals. While he did not call any names during his address, the details of the Life Sport Programme, including Creeds’ hasty departure and lengthy absence, were soon circulating in the public domain.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 01, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
so if COP disciplines him for vid, what would kams do seein that they wanna put it down as fabricated voodoo?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2014, 01:04:24 AM »
Carolyn lashes back after Anil challenges suspension
By Anna Ramdass (Express).

Do not bully me.

That was the response of Congress of the People (COP) chairman Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan to Sport Minister Anil Roberts’s decision to write to her and fight the party on its decision to suspend him.

“He is not going to bully me and I ask Mr Roberts to not bully me or fight the COP. We have opened the door for him to come back in and co-operate with the COP,” said Seepersad-Bachan.

The COP executive decided on Monday night to suspend Roberts for his failure to cooperate and clear the air on a video of someone resembling him rolling a marijuana joint.

The video was shown on TV6 News on May 21 and went viral on social media.

Roberts was invited to a meeting last Thursday to answer questions on the video by a COP team, which included Seepersad-Bachan, but, he refused to answer, saying the issue was in his lawyers’ hands.

Seepersad-Bachan yesterday pointed out that Roberts did not meet with her alone but also with members Clive Weatherhead, Dr Anirudh Mahabir and Ann MacPhilip and he refused to give answers.

COP political leader Prakash Ramadhar on Monday said the executive decided to suspend Roberts as he had failed to clarify whether it was him in the video and if there was any illegality being performed.

Ramadhar said further that Roberts should resign as Sport Minister until the issue was resolved and public perception was assuaged.

Roberts yesterday directed his letter to Seepersad-Bachan as opposed to Ramadhar who made the announcement of the executive decision.

Seepersad-Bachan questioned why Roberts was training his guns on her when it was an executive decision.

“It was a national executive decision, not a decision of Carolyn Seepersad. I am not the only member of the team,” said Seepersad-Bachan.

In his letter to her, Roberts stated he was never informed of his suspension and further asked Seepersad-Bachan to state which provision of the COP constitution the executive used to suspend him.

He further accused Seepersad-Bachan of “gallerying” herself on radio, alleging that the party had taken action against him.

Roberts stated he was invited to a discussion last Thursday and it was not made clear what allegation or case he had to answer, if any.

He stated it was never represented to him that any adverse finding or action would be taken against him.

Roberts took issue with reports of a committee set up by Seepersad-Bachan which she headed.

He stated Seepersad-Bachan should recuse herself from any committee on this matter as she had spoken to the media on the issue even before a meeting was held with him last Thursday.

He claimed Seepersad-Bachan prejudged the issue by this move.

Roberts asked Seepersad-Bachan to advise under what power of the constitution he was suspended.

“It is my position that not only you have absolutely no power to so do, but in any event, your actions and that of the committee are fundamentally flawed, and are more aimed at creating a veneer of some sort of action having been taken to placate others. Unfortunately, this sort of ineffectual action is what has come to typify your leadership,” he stated.

Seepersad-Bachan told the Express yesterday she did receive Roberts’s letter and will reply in due course.

She explained there was no provision in the COP’s constitution which speaks to suspension but a new constitution has been drafted which will include expulsion.

Seepersad-Bachan said the executive decided to suspend Roberts in accordance with the party’s code of ethics as it relates to public figures.

She said the COP executive has a duty and responsibility to act and safeguard the interest of the party and therefore it was decided Roberts would not be able to represent the COP anymore.

Seepersad-Bachan said the COP was committed to the People’s Partnership and Roberts was elected as the representative for D’Abadie/O’Meara on a COP ticket.

She said it was within the Prime Minister’s remit to remove Roberts from the Cabinet but when it came to the COP, the executive decided to ban him from party activities in keeping with the party’s principles and code of ethics.

She said a person is innocent until proven guilty but Roberts has not denied whether it was him in the video.

Seepersad-Bachan said the COP has always taken a position on matters of national concern such as the Section 34 controversy which led to the firing of former justice minister Herbert Volney.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2014, 01:57:11 AM »
YOU HAVE NO POWER
By SEAN DOUGLAS (Express).

A defiant Sports Minister Anil Roberts yesterday said the leadership of the Congress of the People (COP) has no power to suspend him over the recent video of a man resembling a Cabinet Minister dabbling in a substance that resembles marijuana.

“Kindly advise under what power under the Constitution you have purported to ‘suspend’ me,” he challenged.

“It is my position that not only do you have absolutely no power to so do, but in any event, your actions and that of the Committee are fundamentally flawed, and are more aimed at creating a veneer of some sort of action having been taken to placate others.”

Roberts argued his case against suspension in a letter (dated yesterday) to COP chairman, Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan, copies of which were sent to media houses. Last Thursday, Seepersad-Bachan told reporters she was disappointed in Roberts for his alleged refusal to cooperate with a team of national executive members who had met at the COP’s base at Flagship House in Port-of-Spain to ask him about the video.

Roberts himself had told reporters he was still a member of the COP. Then by Monday, COP leader Prakash Ramadhar said no-one is above scrutiny and that the national executive had suspended Roberts for his alleged failure to cooperate.

“Until he does so, the COP will not allow him to participate or represent the party in any form or fashion,” said Ramadhar. “He should step aside as a Government Minister until he clarifies the video, whether first of all he is in it and two, whether an illegality was taking place.”

Yet Roberts in his letter yesterday said the suspension typified the allegedly ineffectual leadership of the COP executive, and he urged clarification on several issues he had raised.

His letter began by complaining that he had not even been formally notified of his alleged suspension but had learnt of it via yesterday’s print and electronic media.

“Suffice to say, some 15 hours after which the decision was allegedly made and conveyed to the national media in time to find its way into the printed daily press..., as of 12 noon today, June, 3, 2014, I am yet to receive any notification from you or your representative about this reported state of affairs,” he bemoaned.

“Indeed, rather than take the time to pen me the contents of your alleged decision, I have received several reports that you were heard ‘gallerying’ yourself on the radio this morning (yesterday), alleging that the party had taken action.”

Roberts said it is apparently much easier to pontificate about procedure and transparency than to adhere to same. He challenged the fairness of the disciplinary procedures used by the COP.

“I was invited to a discussion on Thursday, May, 30, 2014, and it was not made clear what allegation or case I had to answer, if any,” he related, but the date was a typo as the meeting took place on May 29.

“Indeed, it was never represented to me that any adverse finding or action would be taken against me.”

Roberts asked whether Seepersad-Bachan should head any such committee, alleging that she had pre-judged him.

“Clearly you pre-judged the issue, and ought not to have placed yourself in a position to purport to make decisions about me,” hit Roberts.

“Clearly, you ought to recuse yourself...Indeed you are quoted in the Guardian newspaper for the very May, 30, 2014 saying, ‘We may have a discussion with him and find out from the others what they want to do, but to me it is a very straightforward issue’.”

Meanwhile last evening, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, who heads the Cabinet of which Roberts is a member, told reporters at her Siparia constituency office that she had asked Roberts for a report on the matter which she is now awaiting. She took no further questions as she had to attend an event in the constituency.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2014, 05:31:03 AM »
She explained there was no provision in the COP’s constitution which speaks to suspension but a new constitution has been drafted which will include expulsion.

Imagine that. Is the PNM Constitution silent on these matters? The UNC's?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:33 AM »
Seepersad-Bachan questioned why Roberts was training his guns on her when it was an executive decision.

“It was a national executive decision, not a decision of Carolyn Seepersad. I am not the only member of the team,” said Seepersad-Bachan.

Ma'am, because your comments lend themselves to such response. Such is life in the public square.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2014, 05:56:02 AM »
... That stated, the hapless Prime Minister finds herself in the curious position of seating a Minister whose minority party has taken a more  "decisive" position than her Government has made ... or has been willing to make. Such is the state of the landscape.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2014, 08:23:22 AM »

Indecisive action here on the leader of the government- passing the 'buck'- you could almost hear Moonilal- he with he blind bias and backwards thinking- he probably seeing this as another plot. Instead of focusing on the unethical actions he want to blame and redirect the attack.

The man in question with all this alleged talk too arrogant and what he feel he above  party and  government- manners he arse-loud mouth brash and arrogant.Another. Ministerial flunky to add to the litany of incompetent leaders in the ministries.

Solve the case find the alleged imposter and the women in room 201- locate the hotel and get the records of the clients in room 201. Is ah small country is only so many hotels to track down.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »
It good 4 CORPSE. They put this drunk on their ticket.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »
Aye Anil, lemeh get a dime bag ah some ah dat weed yuh smoking dey boy. That is some good shit. Keep up the good work. The yutes dem have a weed representative in government now. That should embolden dem even more. Smoke yuh smoke, you not pretending.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2014, 05:36:37 AM »
$34M FOR NO WORK
By NEWSDAY REPORTER

THE LIFE SPORT Programme continues to be embroiled in corruption allegations with further revelation yesterday that a whopping $34 million was paid to a contractor for the provision of educational training services in Math, English and Modern Technology with a focus on numeracy and literacy, but such training to persons in the programme was never done.

Ruth Marchan, the Deputy Director of Physical Education and Sport at the Ministry of Sport who on Monday exclusively disclosed to Newsday, a plot to kill her and her colleagues, yesterday said the $34 million was paid in two tranches. The first tranche, of $17 million was paid in September and the other, in the sum of $17 million was made in December 2013.

However, there is no work to account for the monies put out by Government with well over two years gone in the programme. According to Marchan, the contractor is a well-known figure of an educational institution in Port-of-Spain, who is now on the run. She admitted in a recent report that threats on her life stemmed from disagreements with certain top officials in the Ministry of Sport related to the her Life Sport Programme and because these officials had a political agenda.

“I was just there doing my best at the ministry and there were people who wanted me out because I did not concede to some of their requests. One of the things they wanted me to cover up was the $34 million to this contractor but, I said no because I felt it was way too much for such a contract” Marchan explained.

Meanwhile, information about the $34 million contract was corroborated by an ex-executive at the Life Sport who resigned recently. This executive who wished to remain anonymous, told Newsday yesterday he was asked to sign off on an agreement of $34 million to be paid to the contractor for services in Math, English and Modern Technology with a focus on numeracy and literacy, but he did not sign because he felt there was a need for more information on the project.

He noted the agreement had already been signed off on by the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago and he would have been an additional signatory.

The programme began with 33 centres throughout Trinidad and Tobago and was quickly expanded to 43 due to the demand in the different communities. However, when Newsday contacted the contractor in question yesterday, he refused to respond to questions about the $34 million contract. He did disclose however an involvement with the programme on two fronts: personal and via a company of which he was chairman.

He made it clear all work that he did in a personal capacity in the Life Sport programme was done free of charge. “I in fact volunteered to work on the Life Sport programme to help with the development of the youth and all my work was voluntary work” the contractor said.

However, when quizzed as to whether he had been given a contract by the life sport he said, “I was never given money physically, but I was the chairman of a company that had a contractual agreement with the Life Sport company. Whether that company was my company and if the company had a $34 million contract with the Life Sport, I cannot speak about that” the contractor said.

He added, “I left the Life Sport programme on August 15 last year. I think it will be highly unethical to talk about such a situation to someone on the phone.” He pointed out that although he had no reason to defend himself, concerns about him being on the run are far from the truth. “I answer my phone calls at all times but if I am unable to answer then everyone knows that they can get me on my email,” the contractor said. He admitted to being abroad at the moment, but when asked when he would be returning to Trinidad, he said that was personal and he did not wish to discuss that information.

The contractor who is a representative of Oxford and Cambridge told Newsday also that he left the Life Sport programme last September.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2014, 11:54:56 PM »
$34M FOR NO WORK
By NEWSDAY REPORTER

THE LIFE SPORT Programme continues to be embroiled in corruption allegations with further revelation yesterday that a whopping $34 million was paid to a contractor for the provision of educational training services in Math, English and Modern Technology with a focus on numeracy and literacy, but such training to persons in the programme was never done.

$34 million to be paid to the contractor for services in Math, English and Modern Technology with a focus on numeracy and literacy, and Criminal Law 103, in other words: "How to make $34 million dollars disappear without a trace".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:02:40 AM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #266 on: June 12, 2014, 04:40:16 AM »
TAKE BACK $34M
By Newsday Reporter
Thursday, June 12 2014

THERE IS to be swift action to recover the $34 million paid to a contractor in the Life Sport programme for work that was never delivered.

The money, paid to carry out Math, English and Modern Technology studies with a focus on numeracy and literacy, was issued in two tranches of $17 million each last year but there is yet to be a stick of chalk or blackboard as proof of this.

This development seems to have angered officials at the Ministry of Sport and Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) with Cornelius Price, the Director of the Life Sport programme, revealing yesterday that he made personal recommendations for attempts to recover the money and for the matter to be sent to arbitration.

Price explained his recommendations have been made internally at the Ministry of Sport and he has already made contact with chief executive officer (CEO) at SPORTT John Mollenthiel about his recommendations. Mollenthiel could not be contacted yesterday as he was said to be stuck in meetings amidst reports that action to recover the $34 million was going to be initiated.

Price, who is among three at the ministry to have reportedly received death threats for raising concerns about the programme, said he was particularly disturbed by the manner in which the contract for an academic course unravelled.

“After the deal was sealed and the money paid to the contractor, I asked the gentlemen for a copy of the syllabus for both Math and English as well as a course outline and a list of tutors that will be conducting the course and he never supplied it to me,” Price said.

He added, “When work was supposed to have been started the contractor again began making excuses about the readiness of the centres where the classroom sessions were to take place. He started asking for the voltage at the rooms to be changed etc, although other classroom sessions were being conducted.”

Price noted, “the contractor was also expected to conduct an assessment test to determine at what level his course of work and syllabus should be done but again he never did. He instead sent documentation for officials at the ministry to do the assessment for him at a cost of $12,000 which we bluntly refused to do and pay.” Contacted yesterday the contractor in question said he has never received any contract in a personal capacity from Life Sport. He described himself as incorruptible, saying he is a man of impeccable reputation who has worked hard in the field of education to change the lives of many in Trinidad and Tobago.

He said he does not have to much more to say about the Life Sport programme and directed concerns to officials in the Ministry of Sport who have the authority to speak on the matter.

In an interview on Tuesday, the contractor explained a company of which he was the chairman had the agreement for the academic component with Life Sport and he never received any money “physically”.

Meanwhile Price, despite threats on his life, made his way to his office at Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain yesterday, saying while he is cautious about the threats, he is not afraid of anyone, neither has he been intimidated by anybody. The threats on his life were supposed to have been carried out last weekend, Price said.

“I was told by police officers that I would have been subject to harm by someone. I do not know why anyone would want to harm me but I heard rumours that I am being targeted because I have been holding back payments for participants in the Life Sport programme,” Price noted.

“If something appears suspicious to me then I will scrutinise it. It is taxpayers’ money so I will look at every invoice, proposal, budget etc that comes to my desk and scrutinise it before I sign. This is just how I am and I will not be intimidated into doing otherwise.” The Life Sport boss said he still embraces the programme and will maintain his view that while there are people who have had run-ins with the law in it, there are no criminals in the programme. “I cannot determine whether someone is a criminal or not, that is not my job but one for the police,” he said.

Quizzed as to the process for selection of coordinators in the programme, Price said they are recommended by community members.

Price also expressed the view that the change of the Life Sport programme from the Ministry of Sport to the Ministry of National Security would have varying consequences.

“When this switch is made there could be a reduction in the number of participants as members with police records will most likely stay away from the programme. On the other hand however there are those who may prefer this,” he said.

Price has come forward following the disclosure by Ruth Marchan, Deputy Director of Physical Education and Sport at the ministry, that she had received death threats for querying the $34 million contract for the academic component of the Life Sport programme.

In a Newsday interview on Monday, Marchan said the threats on her life stemmed from disagreements with ministry officials over the Life Sport.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2014, 04:48:55 AM »
PM: Anil not fired
By CAROL MATROO (NEWSDAY)
Thursday, June 12 2014

Prime Minister (PM) Kamla Persad-Bissessar has dismissed rumours that Sports Minister Anil Roberts has been fired following the circulation of a video of person resembling a government minister rolling what appeared to be a joint of marijuana in a hotel room.

Following the formal opening of the new Piarco Police Station, yesterday, when questioned, the PM responded,“Really? Who fired him?”

When asked whether she received a copy of his report regarding the issue, the PM said she expected one before the end of the week.

Persad-Bissessar said there have been discussions between her and the minister, but she preferred not to reveal the outcome on the matter “at this time.”

The PM said she was also awaiting the audit of the Life Sport programme stemming from allegations of misappropriation of funds, poor management and possible links to criminal activities.

Also commenting, Legal Affairs Minister and Congress of the Leader leader Prakash Ramadhar said the party, which suspended Roberts for his lack of cooperation over their queries about the video, took a “political position” on the issue.

In response to the party, Roberts had said the matter was in his lawyers’ hands.

“Of course, Mr Roberts is entitled to his legal rights to challenge that allegation in court and we are prepared to meet that challenge at any given time,” he said.

Ramadhar admitted that Roberts had not discussed the Life Sport programme, but it was taken to Cabinet where it was found that it was a good idea for at risk youth.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 12, 2014, 04:50:23 AM »
Not even pretending to care what people think, or about the conduct of their ministers

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 12, 2014, 05:34:49 AM »
ONe set of effin bobol....she just take ppl for ah settah dunce...I can't stand kamla and company! Blatant thiefing...atleast de pnm was doing it on ah low....but get make out cuz they spend too much time in office....kamla not sure abt a zecond term so she fixing who she hadda fix one time....anil is ah self absorbant impse...ah thug in public office...what a shame
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

1]; } ?>