April 25, 2024, 09:45:29 AM

Author Topic: Joey Carew  (Read 3290 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Joey Carew
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »
....just got word that he as passed!

Condolences to his family and friends!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joey Carew
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
....just got word that he as passed!

Condolences to his family and friends!

CO-SIGNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
Damn ! I just heard it. Ah boy ! the month January.

Condolences to Joey's Relatives.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

AirMan

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
R.I.P

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »
JOEY BOY!!!!!!!! one of my favourite heros,you have nothing to worry about you did our country and people proud,thanks for the good times.
        R  I  P

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »
Former West Indies batsman Joey Carew dies
ESPNcricinfo staff
January 9, 2011

Joey Carew, the former West Indies batsman, has died at age 73. The cause of death is still unknown, but his eldest son Michael Carew suggested it might have been due to a blocked artery.

After playing 19 Tests for West Indies between 1963 and 1972, Carew went on to become a selector for West Indies cricket for 20 years, on and off, retiring from the post in 2006. He was the West Indies' longest-serving selector. He also captained Trinidad & Tobago, becoming the first captain to win back-to-back Shell Shield titles for the regional side.

Carew died in his home in Woodbrook in Port of Spain on Saturday. Family members are awaiting an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death. "We are not too sure of the cause of death, but I think it had something to do with a blocked artery," his son Michael, who also played frst-class cricket for T&T, said. "We are awaiting the report from the autopsy to get the official cause of death. He was a leader, the head of our household, and he would be sadly missed."

An attractive left-hand opener, Carew scored one Test century and got his 1127 runs at an average of 34.15. He also took eight wickets with his legpin. Christopher Martin-Jenkins once wrote of Carew: "Perhaps his greatest legacy to West Indies cricket, however, lies in the advice and encouragement he gave to a young left-hander from Santa Cruz in Trinidad. Brian Lara rewarded Joey Carew richly for the interest he showed in him." Ironically, it was over a public dispute with Lara, when Lara was captain, over team selection that Carew stepped down from his post as selector.

President of the West Indies Cricket Board Julian Hunte paid tribute to Carew, saying he had remained passionate about the game at all levels until the end of his life. "He reached the very top as a cricketer and remained astute and feisty in his assessment of the game and cricketers for the decades he served as West Indies selector," Hunte said. "He was responsible for selecting some of the greats of West Indies cricket."

Carew's old opening partner Stephen Camacho, who is now secretary to the board of directors for the WICB, said Carew's contribution as a selector was his most notable one to West Indies cricket. "He was a particularly fine captain and an astute tactician," Camacho said. "Joey was a great friend of mine and his passing is an immense loss to West Indies cricket."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/496110.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIP Joey

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25:42 PM »
Former West Indies batsman Joey Carew dies
ESPNcricinfo staff
January 9, 2011

After playing 19 Tests for West Indies between 1963 and 1972, Carew went on to become a selector for West Indies cricket for 20 years, on and off, retiring from the post in 2006. He was the West Indies' longest-serving selector. He also captained Trinidad & Tobago, becoming the first captain to win back-to-back Shell Shield titles for the regional side.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/496110.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIP Joey

learn something today
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:08:09 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:22:18 PM »

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Condolences_from_WICB_president-113179684.html

President of the West Indies Cricket Board Dr Julian Hunte sent sincere condolences to the wife, Marion, and sons – Michael and David – of former West Indies batsman and chairman of selectors Michael 'Joey' Carew who died late Saturday.

Carew was the WICB's longest serving selector, having served three stints starting in the 1970s.

"The loss of Joey – who remained passionate about the game at all levels until the very end – is one which leaves West Indies cricket poorer," Dr. Hunte said.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 10:03:36 PM »
I remember fowl nah fraid cockroach no more vs Barbados at QPO.

The famous Tanty Merle of that era  ;D

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:07:38 PM by davyjenny1 »

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »
Another great Trini is gone. RIP Sir
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »
Guys, I had the pleasure of seeing Joey captain the TT team for the back to back Shell shield wins. I specifically remembered a square cut he hit vs the Combined islands. When that ball left his bat, it was mere second(2), I might be exaggerating, when it crossed the boundary fence. It was a pleasure watching him play. Real proud of the brother. RIP old Warrior. I heard he was a decent footballer too. I think he played football for TT also??

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:24 AM »
I can add by saying that I have also seen him bat for t&t and the West Indies vs  New Zealand when  Bevan Congdon was captain of the kiwis in the 1972  series and we had a medium fast bowler by the name of Vanburn Alonzo Holder at the time. I think the fifth and final test was at QPO.

He (Joey) was a very hard hitter of the ball. Against New Zealand, I remembered him taking the strike from the southern end hitting a drive straight though extra cover,not a man move. After the QPO test match of that era I had the pleasure of meeting Bevan Congdon in the pavilion.

Very sad indeed. Ah General gone. RIP Joey
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:39:54 AM by davyjenny1 »

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:11 AM »
Michael Conrad Joey Carew — an appreciation
‘A tactical and shrewd leader’
Published: Tue, 2011-01-11 17:47

The following feature on the late Michael Joey Carew was written by Nasser Khan and published in the Queens Park Oval's Parkite magazine as one of the Legends of T&T Cricket. Carew, the former West Indies and T&T cricket captain died on Saturday. Michael Conrad Carew, “Joey” as he was well known, spent virtually his entire life in and around the world of cricket. His introduction to first class cricket at age 19 was when he was called to play for T&T versus the visiting E W Swanston’s team in 1956. It was only after some strong regional performances that the late Sir Frank Worrell used his diplomatic persuasions to see Joey Carew into the very competitive 1963 West Indies team to tour England for which he repaid his skipper with a tally of 1,060 runs on that tour. In his Test career which spanned from 1963 to 1972, he played 19 Tests and had a highest score of 109 and blasted five 50s with his typical left handed swashbuckling style of batting. With his economical style of off break bowling, he captured just eight wickets as he was not very often called upon to bowl given the likes of  Gibbs, Valentine, Hall and Griffith in the bowling attack. His highest first class score was 182 and he scored 13 centuries, 43 half centuries and captured 108 wickets with a best of 5 for 28.

He was a tactical and shrewd captain and led T&T in back to back championships in 1970 and 1971 against the mighty regional teams at that time, especially the Barbadians. He recalls with great amusement up to this day a placard- bearing fan who trumpeted proudly “cockroach eh fraid fowl again”, at the post game presentation, after T&T beat the mighty Bajans at the Queen’s Park Oval in 1971. In 1970 Joey Carew was honoured as the then Witco Sportsman of the Year. In 1974 he was awarded the Hummingbird gold medal for his cricketing performances. He was also a Karl Nunes trophy winner. He was the first player to score a century in each innings of a regional game, versus Jamaica and also has the dubious distinction of bowling underarm in a regional game which is a separate story by itself. Before he retired from regional cricket in 1973, he served as a selector of the T&T team from 1967 (in his capacity as captain) and from 1975 until the mid-eighties he served continuously as a member of the selection panel.

As a West Indies selector he served in his first stint from 1977 to 1979 as chairman with fellow selectors Clyde Walcott and J K Holt as well as the T&T representative on the West Indies cricket board. The Packer series saw him distancing himself from the bacchanal that ensued but returned for the second of his three stints in the mid-eighties until 1988 along with Jackie Hendricks and David Holford. He prides himself in the fact that he was part of the administration that put the Windies on the path to its period of near invincibility with the selection of players like Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner and Desmond Haynes among others. He regrets that there was virtually nothing done to stem the decline that took place after the glory years. He returned for his third and final stint which lasted from 1998 to 2006 where he served with such gentlemen as Wes Hall, Mike Findlay and Viv Richards. As is well known, Carew was the mentor to his fellow left handed protégé Brian Lara who adopted a similar exuberant style to his batting. That in itself is a great contribution to West Indies cricket. Looking back on his three tenures, Carew said his most trying moments as a selector were during the Kerry Packer era, as well as the nearly two-year period covering the impasse between the WICB and the WIPA, when some players failed to offer themselves for selection.

Carew has been referred to as ‘a true servant of West Indies cricket’ up to his “retirement”  in 2006 and has exhibited a longevity and stick-to-it-iveness that is rare in any arena of administration, this while wearing the hat of one of the chief administrators of the Queen’s Park cricket club where he was its full time general manager from 1994-2002. No doubt this arena provided him with the opportunity to have first hand interaction with other cricket officials and players in the region. In 2007 the WICB honoured him for his outstanding contribution to West Indies cricket and more recently he was an honouree at the annual WIPA (West Indies Players Association) awards function for his dedicated services to West Indies cricket. A fan of the sport of horse racing, Carew is known among his peers for his no-nonsense approach and his ‘call it as I see it’ style.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/beta/sport/2011/01/11/michael-conrad-joey-carew-appreciation

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
rip and condolences to the family, god bless :beermug:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Wonderful inning from Joey - TT Guardian
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 05:57:16 AM »

Wonderful innings from Joey
Published: Mon, 2011-01-24 20:33
Hugh Henderson

Joel ‘Big Bird’ Garner, left, and Reverend Wes Hall discuss their association with Joey Carew at his funeral service. At right is Selwyn Raymond. Photo: Karla Ramoo
At the risk of being overly modest, I shyly admit that in my early twenties I was an off-break bowler in the Lance Gibbs class. My problem was that none of my various captains, in their collective ignorance, recognised my talent which meant that I had few match opportunities to take wickets. However, on a Thursday afternoon in February 1964, West Indies batsman Joey Carew met his equal in the nets at Queen’s Park Oval when he unwisely tried a “vupp” and I clean bowled him neck and crop to record my most memorable wicket ever.

This epic event resulted in Joey buying me a Coke after practice and started a friendship that combined discussions on cricket, horse racing and different personalities in the news. Joey laughed his head off when I demonstrated with a straight face how the ball that bowled him was fairly normal for me—perfect length, sublime guile and flight and unfathomable spin—and from then on, whenever we met, we basked in one another’s strange sense of humour. In 1966 I went to England on WITCO business which included tying up loose ends for two UK football teams, including Chelsea, to play at the Oval. Joey asked: “you think it will happen?” to which I replied, “we chel-see!” Joey cracked up and to the end he used this expression wherever it was appropriate. “Joey, do you think Bruceontheloose can beat Cactus Amour?” “Boy, all I can say is we chel-see!” Dozens of times and we laughed each time!

Joey and I exchanged many views on cricket and racing, but usually we talked some real “nonsense” before being serious. For example, I would say: “Joey, my spinning finger is good to go, so I am available for Australia” and he would reply with great regret: “I wish you had told me that yesterday because we picked the team last night!”  Once he asked if I could spare two hours in the nets to help Brian Lara with his many batting problems and I told him I really did not have time to waste and anyway, the guy had no future. Joey: “Boy, you and I always think alike!” More laughs!

However, it was at the race track that Joey was at his best as he always played the role of the poverty-stricken gambler when asked “how are you doing?” I don’t think Joey ever admitted he had backed a winner and his ongoing tales of woe almost made one cry with pity. Examples: “Boy, do you know what it is like to be broke after the third race and you can’t even buy a sandwich?” “Can you believe that my two horses in the race once again finished last and one before last?” “Boy, I don’t know how to tell Marion I lost all the grocery money again.”

“I need August to arrive because August is my lucky month for winners. Last August I actually had two winners but they were both favourites!” About two years ago, Joey told me he had a real hot tip and asked if I could lend him $50,000. Me: “you want cash or cheque?” Joey thought for a while and then said: “I’ll take a cheque but in case I lose, you better also give me $25 cash so I could take a maxi home!” Joey was a funny guy! Joey was a very proud and loving parent and paid me a big compliment when he asked me to follow son Michael’s cricket closely and keep him advised.

Michael was a superb young batsman and Joey knew my interest in youth cricket, so it was a pleasure attending Michael’s games and appreciating his beautiful strokeplay. The downside was that Joey wanted to know every detail of every stroke so even if Michael scored ten, a casual listener would have concluded he had scored a century! I know how thrilled Joey was when Michael obtained his race horse trainer’s license after a long apprenticeship with John O’Brien and soon after saddled his first winner.
Younger son David was also deeply involved in the racing world and is still a top tipster, so father and sons had much to communicate about.

I hardly think Marion will remember, but not long after she and Joey were married, I moved from south into town in 1965 and lived in an apartment building named Parillon Flats on Queen’s Park East. Out of the blue one day, Joey said: “I hear those flats are nice. Why don’t you invite us to dinner?” Poor me! As a bachelor, what was I to serve the famous Carews? I have no clue what we had to eat, but was relieved to learn next day that they had not fallen ill and been rushed to hospital. Several years ago I asked Joey if he remembered the royal occasion and politely he said “yes but vaguely.”

Obviously my hospitality did not leave an indelible mark! To be totally objective, I should also mention that while Joey’s company provided me with much pleasure, he also administered the biggest “insult” in my potentially brilliant cricket career, which I eventually forgave but never forgot. In a 40-over Broadway game at the Oval, Joey was in the covers and I was at gully when the batsman square cut between us. A boundary seemed a forgone conclusion, except that it was I—not Joey—chasing the ball, gliding effortlessly over the lush turf with my daisy-cutting action and eating up the distance like Usain Bolt of today—poetry in motion.

Normally in such situations, the captain would encourage an extra effort of the fielder by shouting “not two!” Had Joey shouted “not two” to me, I could have lived with that, but for the world to hear, he yelled “not eight Hugh, not eight!” That was a bit much to endure and I let him “have it” after play. Joey looked remorseful—or so I thought—until he said: “maybe I said eight but I was thinking ten!” How do you win with such a guy? So much has been written and said about Joey by the important and famous I thought I might add something a little different on behalf of the not important and the not-so-famous.

Joey certainly carved a unique niche for himself in Caribbean sporting lore and his untimely loss is irreplaceable. The fact that he paid more attention to his religion and family than he did to cricket and racing tells me he is in good hands and waiting for all his many friends to join him in the fullness of time. To the question: “do you think there will be a cricket ground and a race track in heaven?” I can hear Joey answering: “Boy, all I can say is, I chel-see!” Enjoy your eternal rest Joey. You played a wonderful innings and richly deserve your reward.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>