April 19, 2024, 12:54:34 PM

Author Topic: Ols fashion parenting- whos your..daddy?  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ols fashion parenting- whos your..daddy?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
Playing dotish. So answer the question nah

Well dotish... if you read closely you would see that I never professed to be close to that particular situation in the video, I have no idea where you get that from.  I was speaking in general terms of being close to the situation with black parents and the difficulties they face with their children when they get to this age.  I'm not about to get into no set ah detail about what I does do or what I dealing with, but most with sense would understand that peer pressure is a hell of a thing when dealing with teenagers.  When yuh talking about black teenagers the stakes are multiplied hundredfold.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
Playing dotish. So answer the question nah

Well dotish... if you read closely you would see that I never professed to be close to that particular situation in the video, I have no idea where you get that from.  I was speaking in general terms of being close to the situation with black parents and the difficulties they face with their children when they get to this age.  I'm not about to get into no set ah detail about what I does do or what I dealing with, but most with sense would understand that peer pressure is a hell of a thing when dealing with teenagers.  When yuh talking about black teenagers the stakes are multiplied hundredfold.

Riiiiight....
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
The uncle eh care about the language the yuteman using, but he damn sure as hell not gonna allow that Gangsta crap.

Had to deal with ah nephew in T&T with the same facebook thing. Just join facebook and in he info talking about he is Gaza Crew. He not in anything just bussing up he mouth. Who knows who gonna read that crap and make something out of it, or threaten him because he stupid enough to write something like that. Made his grandfather blow gas in his arse.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »
if the uncle take a belt to another adult, he could be charged with assault.  But to a minor in his family, no assault.

There are alternatives to this sort of corporal punishment.

IMO Corporal punishment is justifiable in some cases, but not at that age, and from what seems to have transpired here, not in this situation.

I feel compelled to ask... and what do you perceive yuteman's indiscretion to be, since yuh didn't think de licks appropriate?

-----------------------

Pecan first off we don't know that there has been a determination that "no assault" took place, we only seeing this chapter of the situation in isolation.  Secondly, if the law (or people looking on) make a determination that "no assault" took place then it's likely for two reasons:

a) There exist in society a recognition that corporal punishment, while disfavored, is still acceptable to a degree.

b) The "degree" issue is implicated here in that the device used (a flimsy belt) and the nature of the discipline isn't such that is likely to "shock the senses" of a reasonable person, or otherwise cause outrage.

No disagreement here. I was speaking in general terms and not really commenting on this particular incident.

Corporal punishment is not my style but I certainly recognize that in our society, it is an acceptable form of punishment.

My comment was just stating an observation that in some cases, a physical action inflicted on an adult by an adult could be deemed to be sufficient grounds to lay assault charges.  Whereas, the same action inflicted on a minor may be deemed to be acceptable within societal views on corporal punishment. My personal opinion is that this is a double standard but the proponents of corporal punishment would certainly disagree with me.

The law does not prohibit corporal punishment but I choose not to use corporal punishment with my three children other than the few occasions where a light tap on a diapered bottom was used to get the child's attention. And I can count on one hand how often that occurred for all of my three children. More so with the first two children and never with child #3.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »

No disagreement here. I was speaking in general terms and not really commenting on this particular incident.

Corporal punishment is not my style but I certainly recognize that in our society, it is an acceptable form of punishment.

My comment was just stating an observation that in some cases, a physical action inflicted on an adult by an adult could be deemed to be sufficient grounds to lay assault charges.  Whereas, the same action inflicted on a minor may be deemed to be acceptable within societal views on corporal punishment. My personal opinion is that this is a double standard but the proponents of corporal punishment would certainly disagree with me.

It absolutely is a double-standard, but in my mind it's a concession made out of acknowledgement that parents (or guardians) are responsible for that child, and in many cases responsible for the actions of that child.  As such they have a more at stake, justifying the flexibility in applying criminal standards to their actions.  Additionally, there's a reasonable assumption that any discipline is ultimately motivated by concern or the best interest of the child. 

Neither the "responsibility" nor "concern" factors apply in the adult scenario... grown adults can presumably be responsible and concerned for their own selves.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »
never a dull moment in here.

yuteman deserve d licks because he did stupidness and i bet he wouldnt do dat nonsense again

and yes i laughed, because it was funny. what's the big deal?
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »
Seriously though. ah know allyuh stuck on the fact that ah fella look almost grown still getting licks from his uncle, but missed the most important part, which might be the real reason for the cutskin on the WWW.

could it be that this uncle was protecting his nephew from death or jail by putting this thing on camera?  first the man was talkin bout killin and that is what really got him goin, who to say the yute didn't brag about killin someone just tuh look good , and maybe this someone was ah renown gang member who's ppl may want to seek revenge, or maybe he was protecting this kid from the police who in those mid-western and southern towns (cause that's where they sound like they were from) are quite racial excessive and brutal not to mention punishment for some of these crime may even be draconian.

yeh it was kinda weird, and the uncle may have been verbally excessive, but maybe this guy saw enough killin heartache and sadness due to gang violence to last a life time (close childhood friends family members) and never wants this thing to hit home.

i know one things for sure, the only thing that separate my cousins from me and my siblings was the discipline my parents handed down. had they given us the same freedom and lack of care, who knows how we would've turned out!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »
Seriously though. ah know allyuh stuck on the fact that ah fella look almost grown still getting licks from his uncle, but missed the most important part, which might be the real reason for the cutskin on the WWW.

could it be that this uncle was protecting his nephew from death or jail by putting this thing on camera?  first the man was talkin bout killin and that is what really got him goin, who to say the yute didn't brag about killin someone just tuh look good , and maybe this someone was ah renown gang member who's ppl may want to seek revenge, or maybe he was protecting this kid from the police who in those mid-western and southern towns (cause that's where they sound like they were from) are quite racial excessive and brutal not to mention punishment for some of these crime may even be draconian.

yeh it was kinda weird, and the uncle may have been verbally excessive, but maybe this guy saw enough killin heartache and sadness due to gang violence to last a life time (close childhood friends family members) and never wants this thing to hit home.

i know one things for sure, the only thing that separate my cousins from me and my siblings was the discipline my parents handed down. had they given us the same freedom and lack of care, who knows how we would've turned out!

yuh unders!  :beermug:
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 07:32:28 AM »

That could be the case for real. Who feels it knows. Good post  :beermug:

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 07:53:44 AM »

Not to cause more argument, but how is acknowledgement that just cool's post is good yet you dismiss the same points made by Bake and shark?  A history there?

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »

Not to cause more argument, but how is acknowledgement that just cool's post is good yet you dismiss the same points made by Bake and shark?  A history there?

Were they the same points? JC was far more eloquent IMO, and put things in a way that put things in clearer perspective for me. And every once in a while I like to yank Bakes chain a little bit.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
Anyone following the story of "Amy Chau" and her new book "Battle Hymn Of The Tiger Mother"?

By Amy Chua
updated 1/10/2011 3:32:13 PM ET 2011-01-10T20:32:13

In “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,” Amy Chua describes her relentless determination to make her two daughters successful by raising them in a strict fashion, contrary to what she sees as modern American standards of permissiveness and mediocrity. In this excerpt, she starts to explain her parenting philosophy.

A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids. They wonder what these parents do to produce so many math whizzes and music prodigies, what it’s like inside the family, and whether they could do it too. Well, I can tell them, because I’ve done it. Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:

• attend a sleepover
• have a playdate
• be in a school play
• complain about not being in a school play
• watch TV or play computer games
• choose their own extracurricular activities
• get any grade less than an A
• not be the #1 student in every subject except gym and drama
• play any instrument other than the piano or violin
• not play the piano or violin.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41005969/ns/today-books/
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »
Anyone following the story of "Amy Chau" and her new book "Battle Hymn Of The Tiger Mother"?

By Amy Chua

In “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,” Amy Chua describes her relentless determination to make her two daughters successful by raising them in a strict fashion, contrary to what she sees as modern American standards of permissiveness and mediocrity. In this excerpt, she starts to explain her parenting philosophy.

A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids. They wonder what these parents do to produce so many math whizzes and music prodigies, what it’s like inside the family, and whether they could do it too. Well, I can tell them, because I’ve done it. Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:

• attend a sleepover
• have a playdate
• be in a school play

you get prodigies and perfectionists but you can also get uptight obsessive compulsive introverts
I pity the fool....

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »
you get prodigies and perfectionists but you can also get uptight obsessive compulsive introverts

yup,,,and complete societal outcasts
 for every one of those 'success' stories you does never hear about the other 1000 kids who rebel against their opressive parents and turn wayward.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »

By Amy Chua

• attend a sleepover
• have a playdate
• be in a school play

i'm a little surprised no mention was made of speaking the native language at home and/or language classes. i thought that was part of the program as well.

giggsy11

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »

By Amy Chua

• attend a sleepover
• have a playdate
• be in a school play

Not to mention not knowing how to handle failure in a healthy manner due to unrealistic expectations they place on themselves and others place on them!

1]; } ?>