April 28, 2024, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Minor League Offenders Thread.  (Read 10503 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joevin Jones & Daneil Cyrus playing in minor league.
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
(1) if they are fired and the next professional opportunity is closed for a while, ironically they might spend their time playing recreational football.

(2) the pro-league can be very dull and dry due to lack of crowd support. some players are relatively less motivated by money, and more by the roar of the crowd and visceral appreciation of their skills. maybe if the pro-league were to sanction seven-a-side matches against community teams it would give some of these players an outlet, a little more pesh, and promote the league. but that is not the reality and they have to pay the consequences for their lack of professionalism.

(3) while we rightly criticize these players for their foolhardy decision, lets not take the pro-league off the hook just yet. they not serving or servicing the demand for sport in these communities. reconnection with communities will go along way to make the game more enjoyable for players and help put money in their pockets. the executive seriously needs to address this issue instead of making empty promises every season.
Please, Zandolie, please, just tell me how to do this with limited funds. After four years in this business, I hold my hands up and say "I don't know how"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
(1) if they are fired and the next professional opportunity is closed for a while, ironically they might spend their time playing recreational football.

(2) the pro-league can be very dull and dry due to lack of crowd support. some players are relatively less motivated by money, and more by the roar of the crowd and visceral appreciation of their skills. maybe if the pro-league were to sanction seven-a-side matches against community teams it would give some of these players an outlet, a little more pesh, and promote the league. but that is not the reality and they have to pay the consequences for their lack of professionalism.

(3) while we rightly criticize these players for their foolhardy decision, lets not take the pro-league off the hook just yet. they not serving or servicing the demand for sport in these communities. reconnection with communities will go along way to make the game more enjoyable for players and help put money in their pockets. the executive seriously needs to address this issue instead of making empty promises every season.
Please, Zandolie, please, just tell me how to do this with limited funds. After four years in this business, I hold my hands up and say "I don't know how"

Isn't Central FC doing just that....interacting and engaging the comunity while promoting the game?

Money problems are one thing, but its quite another to identify constraints to growth, set targets and doggedly pursue them. and yet quite another to admit failure, and ask for help. Look, I really want to love the pro-league, I really do...but in the past 5-6 years, apart from the efforts of a few individuals,  I've seen precious little initiative to put  heads together to attack these problems. Has the league even sought out football fans to ask why they don't come to games anymore?

I don't have the answers on specific aspects of promoting the game. But I want to SEE the effort being made by those charged to do so. Then I could at least get behind them and support.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:36:35 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2013, 05:49:57 AM »

Isn't Central FC doing just that....interacting and engaging the comunity while promoting the game?

Money problems are one thing, but its quite another to identify constraints to growth, set targets and doggedly pursue them. and yet quite another to admit failure, and ask for help. Look, I really want to love the pro-league, I really do...but in the past 5-6 years, apart from the efforts of a few individuals,  I've seen precious little initiative to put  heads together to attack these problems. Has the league even sought out football fans to ask why they don't come to games anymore?

I don't have the answers on specific aspects of promoting the game. But I want to SEE the effort being made by those charged to do so. Then I could at least get behind them and support.

Well, yes. But our approach will not get instant results. We started with zero supporters. If we can recruit one new supporter, we're successful, but then we have to retain that supporter.
I really can't see a quick fix other than building a facility right in the heart of the community. And, of course, that takes a lot of money.
I get very frustrated. Last season we started printing 8 page "match programmes" I really thought the other clubs would follow, but they haven't.
I'm really hoping that Point will utilise their fan base and perhaps Jabloteh will do something different.
When we left North East, the community projects stopped. But at least their fan club continued.
But we are just one club and it takes more than one to change things.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
All’s fine at Connection: Joevin and Cyrus accept lesser punishments.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

Trinidad and Tobago rising football stars, Joevin Jones and Daneil Cyrus, have both accepted fines from their employer, DIRECTV W Connection, and are free to resume Pro League service starting from 8 pm this Friday in an eagerly anticipated First Citizens Cup semifinal match against Central FC at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

Jones and Cyrus were Connection’s captain and vice-captain respectively but the pair admitted to playing minor league football in Carenage last month, which was a breach of their club contracts.

“They were fined two month’s salaries of which one month was suspended pended any further infractions within the next six months,” Connection chairman David John Williams told Wired868. “They have got a two-match ban and to write a letter of apology to the national football community as well.”

Williams explained that the two-match ban was retroactive and the players were considered to have served it after being omitted from Connection recent games against Houston Dynamo and Point Fortin Civic, in the CONCACAF Champions League and First Citizens quarterfinal respectively.

Williams praised the response from the players since the incident, particularly on the training ground, while coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier was also happy to abide with the decision of Connection’s Disciplinary Committee, which is chaired by Kirk Davis.

“I feel the decision was fair,” said Fevrier. “It could have been harder but the club took a lot of things into consideration.”

Cyrus reiterated his remorse to Wired868 and confirmed that the players will write formal letters of apology to Connection and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) for their behaviour.

“We know we were wrong,” said Cyrus. “We just have to learn from it now and move on now.”

Cyrus, a former Roxborough Composite and El Dorado schoolboy, explained that the players had not been seduced by an opportunity to make extra money or the crowds at the minor league grounds. They just wanted to have fun with some friends.

“It was just the chance to play with guys we ‘lime’ with it and are close to,” said Cyrus. “It wasn’t about anything else.”

One of Trinidad and Tobago’s more gifted defenders in recent time, Cyrus is anxious to return to action for Connection and to continue on his developmental path, which, he hopes, will take him to Europe.

The two-time World Youth Cup defender recently had an unsuccessful stint at top flight Belgium club, Racing Genk, but claimed that he was distracted by the poor health of his grandmother, Euris Sandy. He cut the trial short to be at her bedside in Tobago.

“My grandmom lives with my mother and she was really sick,” he said. “She is okay now. But she is still not moving and can’t walk or do anything for herself…”

According to new Pro League rules, Cyrus and Jones could have been banned for as long as nine months. And, during that time, they would have forfeited club salaries and been unable to change clubs.

Williams suggested that neither player is likely to wear the captain’s armband again in the near future. But all parties might be relieved that they could be on the field within two days in a high stakes fixture against their Couva rival.

“I don’t want to ventilate (this incident) too much again,” said Williams, who released his previous captain and present Central FC custodian Jan-Michael Williams earlier this year after a verbal altercation with Fevrier. “We made a ruling and I want the players to move on with their careers… They did show remorse.

“I got a personal apology from Joevin as well.”

Jones and Cyrus may hope to put a smile on their chairman’s face when Connection faces an old foe and a former friend in Central coach Terry Fenwick and national goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams respectively.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:26:59 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
Maybe I am a bit soft on the issue, but I find immediate/automatic dismissal for playing in the minor-league is harsh. Especially if it is a first time situation. What ever happened to fines and suspensions? Perhaps some mandatory lecture on why it is such a big deal to play minor league ball in the first place can better help the player. Why are we so heavy handed when dealing with discipline? At some point we have to consider more sophisticated tools when trying to develop a product and the players are an integral part of that product.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
T&T is too small for...
How we think is how we achieve.
Words of wisdom indeed!

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
Maybe I am a bit soft on the issue, but I find immediate/automatic dismissal for playing in the minor-league is harsh. Especially if it is a first time situation. What ever happened to fines and suspensions? Perhaps some mandatory lecture on why it is such a big deal to play minor league ball in the first place can better help the player. Why are we so heavy handed when dealing with discipline? At some point we have to consider more sophisticated tools when trying to develop a product and the players are an integral part of that product.
You are correct in saying that you are a bit soft on the issue!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Minor League Offenders Thread.
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Add Jamille Boatswain and Aubrey David tuh de list.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>