April 25, 2024, 04:29:08 PM

Author Topic: Minor League Offenders Thread.  (Read 10458 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joevin Jones
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
Coops and others, you guys might know more than I do about these stuff....

Ok, what is the purpose of playing Minor league?

Do these players get paid or they just do this to have fun?

We have a pro player on our church team which play in the churches league. It is fun we use sport as an evangelistic tool. The league runs for a couple of months part which is off season. D coach know.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »
Good talk Coops, but de game change now and so to we should change our culture about the way we think when it comes to football, the world left us behind and we have to stop thinking backaday mentality.

On de flip side of that, I guess de salaries for players have to rise and clubs have to go back to their communities for players to change their mentalities.

It would be a hell of a thing if Joevin suit up to play Savannah football and get get injured. I guess, pappieshow football is more important than Pro, no wonder some of our better talents does end up playing T&T Pro ball all they life and de one who make de sacrifice does move on to bigger things.

De Jemmot syndrome.

Sam, you highlighted my main concerns with such activities in the modern age; especially the risk of injury. Though I don't live in T&T, I am aware of the 'freelance' semi-pro practices of the baller's back home and as Coop's pointed out, I also know that this has been going on for Donkey's years. Having said that, though the pro-league wage may be small it is (generally) a regular income while as I understand it the minor league stuff is more of a 'cash-in-hand, Pay-as-you-play' arrangement.

Yes, it's easy for me to say but IMHO this practice in this day an age - fuh short-term gain - is a dangerous gamble for the young pro's who still have hopes of a long career and dreams of playing abroad. The Pro-league is their best hope for getting scouted if they ain't in the national side. I have no problem with the the senior pro's that give up on or don't believe in a foreign payday indulging in such practices.

What disturbed me was that W.Connection are (allegedly) party to such practices. I was under the impression like Soccerama; that they were one of the more professional outfits in the country and frowned on such practices which is why I made the 'more fuel' comment in my first post.

I know man have too earn a crust as best as he can is just that like Sam I think those willing to sacrifice have a better chance a reaping dividends. Just an opinion.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:28:50 AM by Rodney »

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
Jovein Jones & Daniel Cyrus have been playing consistently for that team in Minor league.
Both played Saturday in the Carenage final

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »
The issue is not the fact that he played Minor League. Its the fact that he is a so called professional & his club played that night. Also it was stated in the press that his club felt Joevin need a rest from football.

I also found out Cyrus played in the same game for the same team.

People who say minor league contributing to their football growth, are out of touch with modern football.

Ask them to identify top class world International footballers who leaving their clubs to play minor League.

What will contribute to their football growth is games in the CONCACAF Champions League, where incidentally Joevin was one of the worst performers on view for his club.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
I remember the LaForest's Kenny Joseph and Sammy playing in the Carenage league in the 70's,for Motown's Brazilians,that was huge on aSunday afernoon
Coops I do not recall you playing with that outfit...did you
      Yes i did on many occasions,it's the only team i played for in Carenage.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
Coops there was  Dougla youth from Petit Valley who played on that team,do you have any memory of him and if you do,do you remember his name
I recall Bernard Julien stringup the Brazilian keeper off a corner kick,how is your recall on that one.... :devil:

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
Coops there was  Dougla youth from Petit Valley who played on that team,do you have any memory of him and if you do,do you remember his name
I recall Bernard Julien stringup the Brazilian keeper off a corner kick,how is your recall on that one.... :devil:
      I wonder if you talking about Jughead.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
Both Joevin and Cyrus omitted from W Connection game vs Houston tonight.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »
If that was Jughead.I am thankful for the heads up,I have asked many people who that guy was but none seem to have a clue.I always thought he had a wicked skill set,at that time I would have fovoured him over Sammy
Thanks Cooper

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »
Joevin and Cyrus playing a dangerous game there.... 2 promising players but If you have no discipline and do not show professionalism you will suffer the consequences

Get your act together lads

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
If that was Jughead.I am thankful for the heads up,I have asked many people who that guy was but none seem to have a clue.I always thought he had a wicked skill set,at that time I would have fovoured him over Sammy
Thanks Cooper
    Jughead had a unique set of skills,he was just different from the rest of us,i encountered him first when i was coaching Textel i just used to let him do his thing,it worked for us so why change him.I am not sure on this one but did he not get called to the national team?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »
Thanks Cooper
    Jughead had a unique set of skills,he was just different from the rest of us,i encountered him first when i was coaching Textel i just used to let him do his thing,it worked for us so why change him.I am not sure on this one but did he not get called to the national team?

He did play for TT. I saw him playing for TT in Virginia. TT was on their way to the Shell Cup in JA. They lost 1-0 to US. He was decent in that game. The guys did not want to overextend themselves because of the cup games ahead. But I saw him came on in a game vs CR on tv. He was lively but TT never wins in CR, good team or bad team. Maybe he was good on the local scene, but I did not see anything to brag about when he played international football. I did not see him as much I the other big name TT players.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
Thanks Cooper

He did play for TT. I saw him playing for TT in Virginia. TT was on their way to the Shell Cup in JA. They lost 1-0 to US. He was decent in that game. The guys did not want to overextend themselves because of the cup games ahead. But I saw him came on in a game vs CR on tv. He was lively but TT never wins in CR, good team or bad team. Maybe he was good on the local scene, but I did not see anything to brag about when he played international football. I did not see him as much I the other big name TT players.
       Deeks,you know that is a T&T issue,both players and teams seem to be quite good at home playing against ourselves but can't perform against foreign opposition or abroad.

Any body who knows or have seen this guy like i did will tell you he was special,to be honest i have never seen him play internationally and will not doubt what you have said,most players when taken out of their comfort zone can't perform.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Joevin Jones and Daneil Cyrus face Connection axe after minor league infraction
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
Minor sweat, major consequences: Joevin and Cyrus face Connection axe
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The Trinidad and Tobago Pro League’s most dynamic players, utility player Joevin Jones and defender Daneil Cyrus, are both in big trouble professionally after being caught playing minor league football in Carenage.

Jones and Cyrus, who are both 22, were not used by DIRECTV W Connection for the club’s CONCACAF Champions League match away to Houston Dynamo yesterday, which ended in a 2-0 loss.

At present, Jones is the Connection club captain while Cyrus is the team’s vice-captain. The two players represented Trinidad and Tobago at the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup and are considered the club’s most valuable assets.

A contrite Cyrus admitted that they were guilty as charged.

“That was a mistake from both of us,” Cyrus told Wired868. “We will understand whatever decision they make. I was wrong to go and play there.

“I am just waiting to find out what they are going to do.”

Connection president David John Williams refused to rule out any course of action including dismissal. But he said the club will not reveal its position until tomorrow.

“The club will make a statement tomorrow,” said Williams, who declined the opportunity to make any further comment on the situation.

Jones and Cyrus are likely to be sent to the Connection disciplinary committee to review the infraction. Elsewhere in the Pro League, Central FC attacker Johan Peltier was found guilty of the same violation and was allegedly fined by his coach Terry Fenwick.

It is possible that Jones and Cyrus might face a harsher penalty although, in theory, the disciplinary committee would have the last word.

Fevrier has been Williams’ head coach for all but one of the 14 years since Connection joined the Pro League in 1999. And, together, they made the “Savonetta Boys” the most successful team in Trinidad and Tobago’s professional era.

Tonight, Fevrier and Williams are likely to start a discussion that can shape the club’s immediate future.

Last December, Fevrier took a firm stance after a verbal altercation with 28-year-old goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams, who was the Trinidad and Tobago and Connection captain at the time. The club chairman backed his coach and Jan-Michael was released despite a MVP performance as Connection won the domestic title in the 2011/12 season.

Jan-Michael joined St Ann’s Rangers for the completion of last season before moving to Central FC for this term.

At 22, Jones and Cyrus both have their best years ahead of them and they are unlikely to be short of suitors on the domestic or international markets. Jones was Connection’s top scorer last season with 17 goals from an advanced midfield position while Cyrus was one of Trinidad and Tobago’s standout performers at the July Gold Cup.

The two players missed Trinidad and Tobago’s recent appearance at the OSN Cup in which the “Soca Warriors” held the United Arab Emirates to a gallant 3-3 draw before losing on penalties and then romped to a 3-1 win over host nation, Saudi Arabia.

Cyrus skipped his flight after an administrative mix-up with the national team manager while Connection asked national team coach Stephen Hart to excuse Jones due to his overwhelming domestic and international duties over the past two years. Connection even gave Jones two weeks off to help him recuperate.

But Jones’ workload included a minor league in his Carenage hometown.

Cyrus and Jones played Champions League football in Port of Spain last Thursday night against Arabe Unidad and then again from 5 pm on Saturday evening against Police FC in the Pro League. Jones scored the lone goal against Police in Couva.

Fevrier allowed his players to leave camp on Saturday night to prepare for their trip to Houston Dynamo on Monday morning. But Cyrus and Jones headed straight to Carenage for their third game in three games at the minor league final, which kicked off at 8 pm. They were on the losing side as Scorpions fell 4-2 to Young Guns on Saturday night.

On Monday afternoon in Houston, Jones supposedly told the Connection technical staff that he was unwell and could not train. Two days later, Fevrier was alerted to the pair’s participation in the minor league competition and immediately dropped them from his squad to face Dynamo.

Tomorrow, an expected trip to the disciplinary committee is likely to decide the short-term relationship of Williams, Fevrier, Jones and Cyrus and the immediate future of W Connection.

Editor’s Note: W Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier denied telling Joevin Jones and Daneil Cyrus that they would not represent the club again and the line has been omitted from the report. Wired868 has adjusted its report to suit and regrets any hurt caused by that assertion.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:35:20 PM by Flex »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joevin Jones and Daneil Cyrus face W Connection after minor league infraction
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Its not a good year for Connection. 1st Jan, now Jones and Cyrus? Central FC will do well to snap them up too
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
And whoever snaps them up will potentially benefit from selling them overseas too. I'm sure Connection will have to think very carefully about that before their final decision.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Editor’s Note: W Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier denied telling Joevin Jones and Daneil Cyrus that they would not represent the club again and the line has been omitted from the report. Wired868 has adjusted its report to suit and regrets any hurt caused by that assertion.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So de man did REALLY play in de minor league game?

I was giving it some time to see if was true, so lemmeh see, W Connection (and Nashies to boot) skipper AND vice-skipper play in minor league football with dey season in full swing?

Ok, taking off meh non-judgemental hat for a second...dem fellahs ha to be really, really jokey in truth yes.

And dat is how I feel eh, fellahs could have dey own opinion but de pro league eh no rell pro league and how Nashies been playing minor league football from time immemorial or whatever...dem fellahs ha to be rell jokey!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 07:13:11 AM »
I don't see why this is an issue,nobody sure if the guy played Minor League Football or not,i can't believe he played for his club and Minor League Football on the same day.

This issue about players playing Minor League Football is a big joke,i remembered since in my time as a player the TTFA used put restrictions on us concerning Minor League Football and we still used to play,nobody got banned or anything.

The same thing is happening now,the clubs have restrictions on it but the Pro League does not,i remember Fenwick banning Marvin Oliver when he was at Jabloteh only to see now he at Central Marvin is the first player he call.

T&T is too small for all these restrictions on players,palyers not playing enough Football and Minor Leagues fill the gaps,imagine College players are in the same situation.

I believe there is a definite Pro League rule about this. I think players are not allowed to play any other football unless permission is given by their club.
Sometimes clubs allow this if a player is not making the first team, as he can keep match fit. But almost always, clubs would not allow this for first team regulars. Last season, Central were losing 3-0 at half time to Rangers. The staff discovered that 3 players had played in Carenage the night before. Those players were subbed and the game ended 3-2. Those players were also fired.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
Thanks for saying that coops.

people talk bout pro league but your salary is 2000TT a month

People talk about pro league but you have to take a maxi to go to the game no team bus.

you get to the field and no dressing room to change your clothes before you train

they dont even have ice to put on your foot if you get a knock.

Yet still people quick to say in england pro league players dont play minor league and trinidad too back ward.

Fact is if it was real proleague like in england you would not have time to play minor league football because your schedule is set minute by minute 7 days a week for the 9 months in season.

Your ass is being bussed from game to game location to location, training to training

cant even find time to do anything except play football for your big team.

That is real pro league.

You're not totally wrong, but your statements are a bit misleading.

people talk bout pro league but your salary is 2000TT a month Minimum Pro League salary is TT$2,500 p.m. That's usually for youngsters. Average salary is around TT$4,000 p.m. A decent player can earn between $6k-$8k and there may also be free accommodation included. A 16-18 year old in England would earn around £650 p.m. Based on standard of living expenses, it's probably about the same as in T&T. A young pro in England should start off at around £300 per week (less than an average KFC worker. But after that, as we know, the sky's the limit.

People talk about pro league but you have to take a maxi to go to the game no team bus. Team bus is usually provided for away games. In England, players make their own way to home matches. Usually they travel by team bus to away games, but not always. For instance, a Millwall player may live closer to Watford than Millwall so will be allowed to travel straight to Watfords ground. Team buses usually meet players at set locations, maybe a hotel or service station. Often, players would drive for an hour to reach the team bus!

you get to the field and no dressing room to change your clothes before you train This can happen if the usual training location is unavailable. Sadly, many training fields are community fields without decent facilities. This is why clubs need their own training complex.

they dont even have ice to put on your foot if you get a knock. I'm not saying this has never happened, but clubs usually spend between $500 - $1,000 per month on ice

Fact is if it was real proleague like in england you would not have time to play minor league football because your schedule is set minute by minute 7 days a week for the 9 months in season. In England, players usually reach home by 2pm. The club has no idea where they are until 10 a.m. the next day. Most players go home and sleep for a couple of hours and rest up all evening. Most don't drink alcohol and eat correctly. This is professionalism. There are some exceptions of course....George Best, Gazza, Paul Merson etc

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Joevin Jones & Daneil Cyrus playing in minor league.
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »
I was told:

The league has disciplinary measures and regulations in place when it comes to players participating in minor league football to protect member clubs when players engage in what is considered to be an illegal activity and are let go from their contracts...the process of moving to another club under these conditions isn't as easy as many assume it to be.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2013, 07:43:56 AM »
I was told:

The league has disciplinary measures and regulations in place when it comes to players participating in minor league football to protect member clubs when players engage in what is considered to be an illegal activity and are let go from their contracts...the process of moving to another club under these conditions isn't as easy as many assume it to be.

I'm trying to remember, but I think if a player is sacked, he has to wait until the next transfer window before he can sign with a new club.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »
I'm glad to hear that my original belief in Connection having certain professional standards was not unfounded. Disappointed in the actions of Cyrus and Jones as if I was aware such activities were'nt acceptable surely they were as well.

I appreciate a football career is short and the earning potential of a footballer in T&T is limited but to risk your main source of income for essentially top-up funds......well, it's not a wise course of action IMO.

Like most of the forumites here, I'm not hating on them. All I want is for these guys to get as much as they can out of the game both financially and as footballers. It's such a risk to do what they have.

Does this league in Carenage provide worthwhile if any insurance for players? I could hazard ah guess at what the answer will be.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
Rodney you so right!

I in disbelief that a respect coach like Coops supports their actions. My daughter in US College and during season they have rules she can't play anywhere else. Coops as a University coach also respected those same rules.

Now I okay with players playing a minor league game, once its out of season. But when you just finish play a league game and have Champions League in three days, I cannot justify their actions. Is pure amateur dotishness. What make it worst, is Captain of the club and National Team players. No wonder we struggling in International football, OUR PLAYERS MENTALITY SMALL MINDED

Regardless how you view the pro league, owners putting up money and running at a loss. So they supporting football in the country, more than most others in Cooperate T&T. If I make a decision to sign a contract & accept the people money, then I am obliged to fulfill the agreement. If I want to play minor league so bad then play Zonal or Super League & take your minor league sweat.

W Connection are 100% in the right here and I for one applaud them. You cannot accept my money & not accept my rules. Before Cyrus & Jones signed they dam well knew the rules & consequences. Now as a League the clubs should stand together a gain respectability by setting standards. But this not going to happen, clubs going and rush in like fat man in a buffet, to sign these two players. But the Window close so they out for at least 5 months.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »
Rodney you so right!

I in disbelief that a respect coach like Coops supports their actions. My daughter in US College and during season they have rules she can't play anywhere else. Coops as a University coach also respected those same rules.

Now I okay with players playing a minor league game, once its out of season. But when you just finish play a league game and have Champions League in three days, I cannot justify their actions. Is pure amateur dotishness. What make it worst, is Captain of the club and National Team players. No wonder we struggling in International football, OUR PLAYERS MENTALITY SMALL MINDED

Regardless how you view the pro league, owners putting up money and running at a loss. So they supporting football in the country, more than most others in Cooperate T&T. If I make a decision to sign a contract & accept the people money, then I am obliged to fulfill the agreement. If I want to play minor league so bad then play Zonal or Super League & take your minor league sweat.

W Connection are 100% in the right here and I for one applaud them. You cannot accept my money & not accept my rules. Before Cyrus & Jones signed they dam well knew the rules & consequences. Now as a League the clubs should stand together a gain respectability by setting standards. But this not going to happen, clubs going and rush in like fat man in a buffet, to sign these two players. But the Window close so they out for at least 5 months.

Unfortunately, football is not a principled sport. Without doubt, every team would want Cyrus and Jones. Much like there'll always be a club that wants Terry, Suarez, Barotelli and all the other super talented bad boys.

But, of course, there's always the argument that these guys deserve a second chance. As has been mentioned, Marvin Oliver got caught playing fete match by Terry Fenwick, but he still signed him again! I also know that W.Connwction have fired players for this before but then took them back.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2013, 10:58:12 AM »
(1) if they are fired and the next professional opportunity is closed for a while, ironically they might spend their time playing recreational football.

(2) the pro-league can be very dull and dry due to lack of crowd support. some players are relatively less motivated by money, and more by the roar of the crowd and visceral appreciation of their skills. maybe if the pro-league were to sanction seven-a-side matches against community teams it would give some of these players an outlet, a little more pesh, and promote the league. but that is not the reality and they have to pay the consequences for their lack of professionalism.

(3) while we rightly criticize these players for their foolhardy decision, lets not take the pro-league off the hook just yet. they not serving or servicing the demand for sport in these communities. reconnection with communities will go along way to make the game more enjoyable for players and help put money in their pockets. the executive seriously needs to address this issue instead of making empty promises every season.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
The same thing is happening now,the clubs have restrictions on it but the Pro League does not,i remember Fenwick banning Marvin Oliver when he was at Jabloteh only to see now he at Central Marvin is the first player he call.

At a meeting of the Board of Directors, it was unanimously agreed that a common measure needs to be established for all clubs in order to deal with the prevailing problem.

It was agreed that offenders would be dismissed from their club with immediate effect. As a result, the implementation of this rule will entitle clubs to release a player from his contract if he is caught playing minor league football.

When a club cancels a player’s contract for participating in a minor league match the player would be fined six months salary of which any club wishing to sign him must pay to the league before the player becomes eligible to play for the said club.

Non-contracted players will face a minimum sanction of six months before re-entry into the pro league if caught playing minor league football. A non-contracted player can continue playing for a minor league team if he so desires.

Second time offenders will be brought before the disciplinary committee of the Pro League who would then determine the penalty to be imposed on such a player.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=38651.0
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
Just some food for thought,are there any Pro players that play any other sport? there are other sports that enhances different aspects of a player's game,weather it's strenght,endurance,agility etc etc
I remember Sammy Llwelyn was a top long distance runner in the country,i myself almost made our national Badminton tean but Football came first.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2013, 04:43:36 PM »
Do these guys want out from Connection? Maybe they want to go Central

1]; } ?>