May 23, 2024, 03:29:37 PM

Author Topic: Rowley: Why Orange Sky in India?  (Read 7906 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rowley: Why Orange Sky in India?
« on: January 15, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
Rowley: Why Orange Sky in India?
By Yvonne Baboolal (T&T Guardian)

Popular local rock band, Orange Sky, which was hired by the UNC during its general election campaign last year, came under heavy fire from Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley in the Lower House yesterday. Rowley, slamming the Government’s economic recovery initiatives presented earlier by Finance Minister Winston Dookeran, waded again into Tourism Minister Dr Rupert Griffith’s trip to India. He said: “The most unlikely minister, the Minister of Tourism, is in India leading a team. “He is going on a trip halfway around the world for a 45-minute programme in which he has to talk for ten minutes and Orange Sky has to play for seven minutes.

“For seven minutes, they are staying in the most expensive hotel, a five-star hotel. It’s payback for the 2010 campaign,” Rowley said. Responding to outbursts from the Government benches, the Opposition Leader said he had nothing against India. His grouse was that no steelband, calypso or tassa were taken on the India trip.  He said: “They send a rock band, they gone to rock India. At the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars, they gone to play rock music in New Delhi.  “And that is what will bring tourists to T&T,” Rowley said, sarcastically.  On the same note, he also repeated his attack on Sports Minister Anil Roberts for bringing American rap star, Nicki Minaj to T&T.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What's the matter Rowley? Afraid of rock music?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »
One of de comments from de Guardian

What's the matter Rowley? Afraid of rock music?
by fred1971 - 2011-01-15 14:22

“They send a rock band, they gone to rock India. At the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars, they gone to play rock music in New Delhi."

Isn't Orange Sky a band from T & T? Aren't they representing
T & T? Actually their music has a Caribbean flavour to it. So why is Rowley getting his knickers in a knot for? What a crybaby! Boo hoo they ain't promoting soca, calypso, tassa. Does everything has to be about that type of music here? In this country we act as if there are no other types of music. It's sickening and it shows how brainwashed we have become.

Look at Brazil, they have Carnival. However, rock music is extremely popular there and they have produced one of the most highly-acclaimed heavy metal bands in the world SEPULTURA. Do you constantly hear them moaning and groaning about samba music?

Carrying tassa to India is like carrying sand to the beach!
What's the matter with rock music? Why mention rock music in such a disdainful way? Except for T & T people and others of the Caribbean region very few people care about pan, calypso, soca and chutney elsewhere. If those types of music are soooo good, then why don't they show up regularly (or if at all) on major music charts and radio stations worldwide? Imagine, Jamaican reggae has made its way and is a force to be reckoned with.

People in this country still fall for the backward Third World brainwashing propaganda (one of many) in that rock music is devil's music and white people's music. ABSOLUTE RUBBISH! If it wasn't for black -American blues music invented by the slaves there would be no rock and roll. If there was no Little Richard there would be no rock and roll. If there was no Jimi Hendrix, there would be no hard rock/heavy metal.

Who are the ones involved in most heinous crimes in T & T? Not the ones listening to rock! They're the ones listening to dub, soca and rap.

People in this country have to realise that everyone can't be like everyone else. Just because one does not like soca,etc. does not mean that you're racist. It's plain STUPID to think that way. We really need to grow up as a nation. We are still way too childish!

Instead of wondering "how Trini does look, look, look and how dey does cook, cook, cook" most better try to become more enlightened, literate and "emancipate themselves from mental slavery" and start reading "book, book, book..."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rowley: Why Orange Sky in India?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »
I read that comment and thought it was foolish then, as I do now.  Nutten against Orange Sky, but is the Tourism Minister they accompanying, the band might represent TnT over there but they are hardly representative of anything "Trini".  Imagine the Tourism Minister for the State of Hawaii coming with ah bunch ah rappers?  On the one hand they could rap about visiting Hawaii, but it would make more sense to bring artistes who represent the indigenous culture and heritage. 

Besides... ent Anand say all we know about is chutney and kaiso?

Jokers.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »
I read that comment and thought it was foolish then, as I do now.  Nutten against Orange Sky, but is the Tourism Minister they accompanying, the band might represent TnT over there but they are hardly representative of anything "Trini".  Imagine the Tourism Minister for the State of Hawaii coming with ah bunch ah rappers?  On the one hand they could rap about visiting Hawaii, but it would make more sense to bring artistes who represent the indigenous culture and heritage. 

Jokers.

though rowley has some merit in what he is saying, it can be looked at in a different way as well. T&T can be seen as being diverse and open minded.

which young soca artist will you send to represent T&T? Most if not all are borderline ragga soca/jamaican influenced artists. The older artists have maintained the culture but we need a young rep and machel is not it. Right now currently, Soca artists are not a good representation of our culture, sadly to say.

Sending chutney or tassa would be redundant because India already has been exposed to that TT genre from many years ago, up until now.

If anything, Orange Sky is there because of their partisan support of the UNC and are a decent local Trini rock band. Nothing wrong with showing that TT has artists that are apart of other genres of music, jmho
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:22:36 PM by Controversial »

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »
If them Indians want to hear Rock Music, Wey yuh think they going? eh? or which Radio Station they gonna tune in to ?
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »

Jokers.

though rowley has some merit in what he is saying, it can be looked at in a different way as well. T&T can be seen as being diverse and open minded.

which young soca artist will you send to represent T&T? Most if not all are borderline ragga soca/jamaican influenced artists. The older artists have maintained the culture but we need a young rep and machel is not it. Right now currently, Soca artists are not a good representation of our culture, sadly to say.

Sending chutney or tassa would be redundant because India already has been exposed to that TT genre from many years ago, up until now.

If anything, Orange Sky is there because of their partisan support of the UNC and are a decent local Trini rock band. Nothing wrong with showing that TT has artists that are apart of other genres of music, jmho

Controversial I'm really shocked that you are backing this. Pan, Calypso and Soca, are the cultural forms that define our Country. It doesn't matter that rock or hip hop or anything else exists in Trini, these are the quintessential Trinidad & Tobago artforms. Them others come from elsewhere. Why would "The Government", specifically, the division of Government that purports to want to present TnT to the world for them to come and see, headline any other artform in an official way? I sure it have rock bands in India too. You think the Indian Ministry of tourism coming here looking for tourists with a rock band? It's absurd.

Apparently there are plenty of people who don't value the "real" yes I'll call these that and I eh care who vex, culture of TnT and so far this current government encouraging that stupidness. There's nothing wrong with rock, in fact, my collection of rock music is really quite extensive, but to try to say it represents TnT because some people there enjoy it is laughable.

Yuh can't take ah rock band to go represent yuh culture, anymore than yuh could take a reggae band or a salsa band.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 06:17:45 AM »

Jokers.

Yuh know you does want to condem ppl for being blind in their support for the PNM but like you doh take some of your own medicine or advice....steups!!  Joker....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »
Who are the ones involved in most heinous crimes in T & T? Not the ones listening to rock! They're the ones listening to dub, soca and rap.
People in this country have to realise that everyone can't be like everyone else. Just because one does not like soca,etc. does not mean that you're racist. It's plain STUPID to think that way. We really need to grow up as a nation. We are still way too childish!

Instead of wondering "how Trini does look, look, look and how dey does cook, cook, cook" most better try to become more enlightened, literate and "emancipate themselves from mental slavery" and start reading "book, book, book..."

Mr tourism minister sir, you are  talking for curry, I jus ent believe you said that .
You are saying a hole lots of things they sar go on ah listening. 
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
Orange Sky is Anti-PNM and Anti-Manning...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

Jokers.

Controversial I'm really shocked that you are backing this. Pan, Calypso and Soca, are the cultural forms that define our Country. It doesn't matter that rock or hip hop or anything else exists in Trini, these are the quintessential Trinidad & Tobago artforms. Them others come from elsewhere. Why would "The Government", specifically, the division of Government that purports to want to present TnT to the world for them to come and see, headline any other artform in an official way? I sure it have rock bands in India too. You think the Indian Ministry of tourism coming here looking for tourists with a rock band? It's absurd.

Apparently there are plenty of people who don't value the "real" yes I'll call these that and I eh care who vex, culture of TnT and so far this current government encouraging that stupidness. There's nothing wrong with rock, in fact, my collection of rock music is really quite extensive, but to try to say it represents TnT because some people there enjoy it is laughable.

Yuh can't take ah rock band to go represent yuh culture, anymore than yuh could take a reggae band or a salsa band.

you have to ask yourself, did the culture minister have any say in this? was he objecting to this? because i doubt it is entirely up to the minister of tourism.

the point i was trying to get across was, i would rather take one of the older artists to showcase than a younger artist, because the younger soca artists right now are not representing our culture. One of the ladies, like faye anne or destra would have suffice.

if not, they should have taken baron or shadow, crazy even. Real artists that have stuck to their culture and know their identity.

now if you said, send a pan side, then hell yes, but obviously political favor is at play here.

like i said before that people have failed to read, orange sky was a political pick, it had nothing to do with rock or soca.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:53:54 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »

Jokers.

Yuh know you does want to condem ppl for being blind in their support for the PNM but like you doh take some of your own medicine or advice....steups!!  Joker....

read my post above, i argued both sides and said in both my responses that it is a politically driven decision to send orange sky and has nothing to do with soca or rock.

but in all honesty they should have taken a pan side or an older artist or one of the lady soca artists like faye anne or destra when you think of cultural representation.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:54:55 PM by Controversial »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
Contro,
         I am with you on this issue. It is just a damn shame we getting into culture wars now. But I think a Chutney artist should have been in the line up with pan, tassa, etc. And don't tell me we can't teach India nothing about tassa. It is definitely part and fabric of TT.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »

Jokers.

read my post above, i argued both sides and said in both my responses that it is a politically driven decision to send orange sky and has nothing to do with soca or rock.

but in all honesty they should have taken a pan side or an older artist or one of the lady soca artists like faye anne or destra when you think of cultural representation.

To teach them oman out dey that they could do more than just wash clothes and cook food. Yo uknow what go happen when they see Faye-Ann or Destra sugar bam bam wining up in they face. That is pressah.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »

Jokers.

To teach them oman out dey that they could do more than just wash clothes and cook food. Yo uknow what go happen when they see Faye-Ann or Destra sugar bam bam wining up in they face. That is pressah.

for the most part the female soca artists aren't trying to be jamaican and are very attractive as well. the males are trying hard to be dancehall artists, sadly to say. India would get to see women who are at the top of their game.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 12:23:22 PM »

??? why yuh say so?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »

Jokers.

With ah population of over ah billion dem women doing more than washing clothes and cooking. Dey know all bout wining arready

But yeah taking ah rock band is just plain dumb really

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
lemme add my 2 cents...

What if they sent Orange Sky not on the merit of being a rock band but rather that they were the most competent artistes available.

How do we know if other bands were not approached and said NO....chutney bands included.

People it is Carnival season...they have to get out their material now and be performing in fetes. Why should they go and play some tune for the people of India when it is they bread and butter for the upcoming year jumping up.

Also Nigel Telesford who is their media person highlighted Orange Sky's trip and they DID NOT PLAY any rock music on their tour.

Lemme find it...hold on.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 12:22:26 PM »
Orange Sky represents
No rock music in India, says band official

Story Created: Jan 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM ECT

Story Updated: Jan 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM ECT

LOCAL rock/reggae band Orange Sky, which came under fire from Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley in Parliament on Friday, is receiving a favourable response during its Government-sponsored tour of India, according to the band's publicist, Nigel Telesford.

Rowley charged that the band members were included in the trip to India as part of a "pay-back" for their involvement in the People's Partnership general election campaign in 2010.

According to Rowley: "The Minister of Tourism (Dr Rupert Griffith) going on a trip halfway around the world, carrying with him for a 45-minute programme where he will speak for ten minutes and Orange Sky will play for nine minutes... he's in India at the most expensive hotel in India, Orange Sky is being repaid now for their involvement in the last election."

Rowley continued, "If you are going to go to India... to sell Trinidad and Tobago's culture, no soca, no steel pan, no calypso, no tambrin, no tassa, you send a rock band! So we gone to rock India at the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars to play rock music in New Delhi and will bring tourists to Trinidad and Tobago, that is the Government's policy."

But according to a posting on entertainment website overtimett.com, Telesford stated that Orange Sky performed "a 50-minute set, which included both the Trinbagonian National Anthem and the Indian (National) Anthem, Kumar Sanu's 'Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaye' and Mahatma Ghandi's favourite song, 'Ragu Pati Ragava' with an upbeat soca twist".

He stated that the band also performed several classic calypso hits by Sparrow, the late Kitchener and David Rudder, all accompanied by live steel pan music from Derron Ellies, and that "no rock music was played at all".

"Trinidad and Tobago was portrayed as a twin-island paradise that welcomes investment and tourism from this part of the world, especially because of our rich East Indian heritage and sizeable East Indian population. The formal presentation was well-received and garnered thunderous applause, in addition to nods and smiles of appreciation," the website posting stated.

"The first presentation by the Tourism Development Company (TDC) in Mumbai was four hours long and featured lengthy addresses from Tourism Minister Rupert Griffith; TDC president Ernest Littles and other Directors of Culture.

"The audience was comprised of many of the country's top travel agents, the Indian Minister of Tourism, Kumari Selja, many of India's hotel chain owners and other entrepreneurs and potential investors.

"The band has a long-standing and mutually-beneficial relationship with the Tourism Development Company, who also funded their first US tour under [Howard Chin Lee and] the PNM (People's National Movement) regime in 2005," the website added.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »
lemme add my 2 cents...

What if they sent Orange Sky not on the merit of being a rock band but rather that they were the most competent artistes available.

How do we know if other bands were not approached and said NO....chutney bands included.

People it is Carnival season...they have to get out their material now and be performing in fetes. Why should they go and play some tune for the people of India when it is they bread and butter for the upcoming year jumping up.

Also Nigel Telesford who is their media person highlighted Orange Sky's trip and they DID NOT PLAY any rock music on their tour.

Lemme find it...hold on.

Thank you touches!! everything now ends up in a partisan or race argument. Have any of you ever head their early music?? Really good music almost always with soca or reggae twist.. or both.
They did several rock albums cause up till a few years ago they were touring/ opening in the USA with/for ah hard core rock band.
these guys have real talent. And i NOT a fan of rock!
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 03:12:55 PM »
Orange Sky represents
No rock music in India, says band official

Story Created: Jan 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM ECT

Story Updated: Jan 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM ECT

LOCAL rock/reggae band Orange Sky, which came under fire from Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley in Parliament on Friday, is receiving a favourable response during its Government-sponsored tour of India, according to the band's publicist, Nigel Telesford.

Rowley charged that the band members were included in the trip to India as part of a "pay-back" for their involvement in the People's Partnership general election campaign in 2010.

According to Rowley: "The Minister of Tourism (Dr Rupert Griffith) going on a trip halfway around the world, carrying with him for a 45-minute programme where he will speak for ten minutes and Orange Sky will play for nine minutes... he's in India at the most expensive hotel in India, Orange Sky is being repaid now for their involvement in the last election."

Rowley continued, "If you are going to go to India... to sell Trinidad and Tobago's culture, no soca, no steel pan, no calypso, no tambrin, no tassa, you send a rock band! So we gone to rock India at the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars to play rock music in New Delhi and will bring tourists to Trinidad and Tobago, that is the Government's policy."

But according to a posting on entertainment website overtimett.com, Telesford stated that Orange Sky performed "a 50-minute set, which included both the Trinbagonian National Anthem and the Indian (National) Anthem, Kumar Sanu's 'Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaye' and Mahatma Ghandi's favourite song, 'Ragu Pati Ragava' with an upbeat soca twist".

He stated that the band also performed several classic calypso hits by Sparrow, the late Kitchener and David Rudder, all accompanied by live steel pan music from Derron Ellies, and that "no rock music was played at all".

"Trinidad and Tobago was portrayed as a twin-island paradise that welcomes investment and tourism from this part of the world, especially because of our rich East Indian heritage and sizeable East Indian population. The formal presentation was well-received and garnered thunderous applause, in addition to nods and smiles of appreciation," the website posting stated.

"The first presentation by the Tourism Development Company (TDC) in Mumbai was four hours long and featured lengthy addresses from Tourism Minister Rupert Griffith; TDC president Ernest Littles and other Directors of Culture.

"The audience was comprised of many of the country's top travel agents, the Indian Minister of Tourism, Kumari Selja, many of India's hotel chain owners and other entrepreneurs and potential investors.

"The band has a long-standing and mutually-beneficial relationship with the Tourism Development Company, who also funded their first US tour under [Howard Chin Lee and] the PNM (People's National Movement) regime in 2005," the website added.

Well aight then!! Thats better.

Dais why yuh cyar listen to no politician ;D
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »
Well it is nice to know that that they can played soca and pan. Do they do that on the local seen? So we may see Orange Sky playing for a band this Carnival or what?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
Thank you touches!! everything now ends up in a partisan or race argument.

Funny... I thought it was cultural?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »
Steups!!!  Forgive mih but this PP gov't have me cynical bout everything.  I sorry but sending Orange Sky reeks of political patronage.  JMHO.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
Steups!!!  Forgive mih but this PP gov't have me cynical bout everything.  I sorry but sending Orange Sky reeks of political patronage.  JMHO.....

Come nah man doh be cynical... Orange Sky plays primarily "rock" music and is pure coincidence that PP hire them (of all bands) when a sizeable portion of their patrons happen to be the PP target demographic.  PP then held ah competition inviting bands to a soundoff for the India trip and Orange Sky win... pure coincidence.  Then of course they went India and di'n play no rock... according tuh de Orange Sky PR man heself.  Clearly dem other soca and chutney artist either need to expand they repertoire... or they political affiliation.

H2OPhlo 4COP next rounds.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »

??? why yuh say so?

Dutty, Marlon Rojas does a really good impression of Manning in a mocking way. I guess since dey is rockers, dey anti establishment and de PNM has been an institution in TnT for so long. Listen to the first few songs on "dat is voodoo" dey clearly anti-manning.

But congrats to dem... dey come a long way since Jaundice-I

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
Thank you touches!! everything now ends up in a partisan or race argument.

Funny... I thought it was cultural?
funny indeed!!!
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:56 AM »

Come nah man doh be cynical... Orange Sky plays primarily "rock" music and is pure coincidence that PP hire them (of all bands) when a sizeable portion of their patrons happen to be the PP target demographic.  PP then held ah competition inviting bands to a soundoff for the India trip and Orange Sky win... pure coincidence.  Then of course they went India and di'n play no rock... according tuh de Orange Sky PR man heself.  Clearly dem other soca and chutney artist either need to expand they repertoire... or they political affiliation.

H2OPhlo 4COP next rounds.

Nah Bakes all we out here chupid......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 07:42:50 AM »

??? why yuh say so?

Dutty, Marlon Rojas does a really good impression of Manning in a mocking way. I guess since dey is rockers, dey anti establishment and de PNM has been an institution in TnT for so long. Listen to the first few songs on "dat is voodoo" dey clearly anti-manning.

nah, ah think you read too much into that.....check yuh PM
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »
Alright, how bout they needed a Rasta Man looking type character and as Kes was already taken, Nigel Rojas  look like he coulda fit.

I feel is $$ more than anything....Bakes ent yuh say they had a show and yuh had to audition?

If men say fire for dat and ent go to audition why slight the "stoned to the bone" crew.

Anytime yuh singing tune that have lyrics with .."like a zandolee on a mango tree" that more Trinbagonian than the jokey tight pants wearing pseudo dancehall artistes we have parading as Soca artistes.

Alright for all those who up in arms...Rowley included.

If yuh had to design a cultural contingent to send to India to represent T&T...right smack dab now in the middle of carnival season who yuh sending? What yuh wowing the Indians dem with to make them jump on a plane and say lewwe go Trinbago for vacation.

What pan side you know oversin panorama to go and rattle orf the national anthem in India?

Doh forget some big artiste have court case coming up too eh? Nice

Is a timing ting, not a curry favour ting...at least with this issue.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:36:37 AM by Touches »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
Alright, how bout they needed a Rasta Man looking type character and as Kes was already taken, Nigel Rojas  look like he coulda fit.

I feel is $$ more than anything....Bakes ent yuh say they had a show and yuh had to audition?

If men say fire for dat and ent go to audition why slight the "stoned to the bone" crew.

Anytime yuh singing tune that have lyrics with .."like a zandolee on a mango tree" that more Trinbagonian than the jokey tight pants wearing pseudo dancehall artistes we have parading as Soca artistes.

Alright for all those who up in arms...Rowley included.

If yuh had to design a cultural contingent to send to India to represent T&T...right smack dab now in the middle of carnival season who yuh sending? What yuh wowing the Indians dem with to make them jump on a plane and say lewwe go Trinbago for vacation.

What pan side you know oversin panorama to go and rattle orf the national anthem in India?

Doh forget some big artiste have court case coming up too eh? Nice

Is a timing ting, not a curry favour ting...at least with this issue.

Nah, I make up dat part to point out how absurd the excuse-making is.   Contrary to your conclusion, I think is absolutely a "curry favor" thing.  It can't be that Indians wouldn't like we music (not saying that is your argument) because there have been crossovers from both sides before.  Besides the focus shouldn't be on showcasing music Indians might like to hear, it should be on showcasing TnT culture.  Touches yuh say is a 'timing' issue, and true Carnival around de corner and I don't know which soca/chutney artist free right now, but is also not my job to know, that is fuh de Culture ministry people organizing de junket.  They HAD to go now in de height of carnival preparations? That's another question. 

Seems everybody just ignoring de obvious.  Look O/S is dey band... I don't even know that they did anything improper by taking them, but I also see where Rowley coming from , using public funds to reward private political favors.  It really would have been best that they just open it up and have a sound off.  To me the lesson in this story (and which is probably Rowley's point) is not about the band deyself, but that the PP no different from those they pointing fingers at from the former administration.

1]; } ?>